Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Folger Tech Kossel Delta 2020 Full 3D Printer Kit w/Auto-Level

Posted by Kasahabo 
Re: Folger Tech Kossel Delta 2020 Full 3D Printer Kit w/Auto-Level
September 17, 2015 01:07PM
llamatrails
davidf01
I'm not sure how to do that with eeprom. I don't even know how to turn eeprom on to do that along with everything else. I was going to look into eeprom once
I finished with all the mechanical adjustments.

EEPROM is a place where variables are stored in memory that is read from at boot and possibly during runtime. When you change the config file in Marlin and compile the code in the Arduino program, the variables are stored in EEPROM when you flash the Arduino. Boot up, and the values get read. Need to change on the fly? Send an M code like:
M92 E96.25 ; Set extruder steps per mm

Now, if you reboot after sending the above M code, you loose the M setting because the EEPROM still has the old value from the compiling. M500 stores current settings in EEPROM and M501 retreives the data from EEPROM so you can verify them. All this magic is only valid if the EEPROM is enabled in the Marlin config file.

As to the extruder issues, mine was pushing about 110mm when I asked for 100, so I had to use the M92 to adjust it until I got what I asked for. 96.25 worked for me.

In your case, is sounds like your stepper gear is either loose on the shaft or maybe the V bearing is not spinning correctly. Do you hear a grinding noise? Can you push the filament into the stepper to get it to move smoother? I recently had that problem and found the V bearing had popped the shield on one side. Got it working again, but am going to replace the extruder instead of replacing the bearing, the design isn't the greatest but it does work to get you going.

Rick

llamatrails

Thanks for the information. I deleted the // in front of #define EEPROM_SETTINGS and #define EEPROM_CHITCHAT. I think that lets me use eeprom. So when I did that does the current settings in my firmware get stored in eeprom? From this point
any adjustments I make gets stored in eeprom but not the firmware, correct?

I think you may be right about my extruder. I do not hear and grinding noise but I can push the filament into the stepper and I get a smoother flow at the hotend. Is there a way I can test to see what the problem is or what should I try to narrow down where the problem is?
September 17, 2015 04:15PM
davidf01

llamatrails

Thanks for the information. I deleted the // in front of #define EEPROM_SETTINGS and #define EEPROM_CHITCHAT. I think that lets me use eeprom. So when I did that does the current settings in my firmware get stored in eeprom? From this point

I think you may be right about my extruder. I do not hear and grinding noise but I can push the filament into the stepper and I get a smoother flow at the hotend. Is there a way I can test to see what the problem is or what should I try to narrow down where the problem is?

By defining it, it will be used by the compiler to store variables there, so now your firmware is configured with EEPROM storage. Any manual adjustments you make on the gcode console are only effective until the next reboot unless you write them to EEPROM with the M500.

I'd take the extruder apart and see what is what. If it is the newer one with the lever, then it may not have a strong enough spring to push the V bearing against the filament/gear. Try applying pressure on the lever, may have to rubberband it or something to increase the tension. Also, if the vref for the stepper is too high, the motor will be so strong that the gear will spin too fast for it to bite into the filament. Drop the vref to .60 or so. Have to play with the vref against the spring tension ...

Rick
September 17, 2015 05:38PM
llamatrails
davidf01

llamatrails

By defining it, it will be used by the compiler to store variables there, so now your firmware is configured with EEPROM storage. Any manual adjustments you make on the gcode console are only effective until the next reboot unless you write them to EEPROM with the M500.

I'd take the extruder apart and see what is what. If it is the newer one with the lever, then it may not have a strong enough spring to push the V bearing against the filament/gear. Try applying pressure on the lever, may have to rubberband it or something to increase the tension. Also, if the vref for the stepper is too high, the motor will be so strong that the gear will spin too fast for it to bite into the filament. Drop the vref to .60 or so. Have to play with the vref against the spring tension ...

Rick

So I took my extruder apart and checked to make sure everything looked like there was no damage. It looked good. I adjusted the Vref down to about 65 and the extruder motor starts jerking back and forth when it is trying to feed the filament, is that normal?
I did a test and extruded 50mm of filament and it extruded about 40mm so I'm about 10mm off so far. I also did a test print and I get about 2 or 3 good layers and then filament stops coming out then a few layers later it will start coming out again or if I push
it through. I can feel the motor jerking back and forth.

Should I bump up the vref again? Should I adjust my layer settings? Mine is set to .2mm should I make it .4mm to match the size of the nozzle?
September 17, 2015 06:27PM
davidf01

So I took my extruder apart and checked to make sure everything looked like there was no damage. It looked good. I adjusted the Vref down to about 65 and the extruder motor starts jerking back and forth when it is trying to feed the filament, is that normal?
I did a test and extruded 50mm of filament and it extruded about 40mm so I'm about 10mm off so far. I also did a test print and I get about 2 or 3 good layers and then filament stops coming out then a few layers later it will start coming out again or if I push

Should I bump up the vref again? Should I adjust my layer settings? Mine is set to .2mm should I make it .4mm to match the size of the nozzle?

You shouldn't have any jerking.
The extruder will only push the filament through unless you have your slicer set to do retraction. Then it will push, pull back to stop oozing when crossing air, and push again.
I'd use Pronterface to extrude say 100mm and see if it is smooth. Of course, the heat has to be up. Then try 200mm, then 300mm. Get it all smooth before you complicate it with running a part. See if it still jerks, fix that.

Rick
September 17, 2015 06:56PM
llamatrails
davidf01

You shouldn't have any jerking.
The extruder will only push the filament through unless you have your slicer set to do retraction. Then it will push, pull back to stop oozing when crossing air, and push again.
I'd use Pronterface to extrude say 100mm and see if it is smooth. Of course, the heat has to be up. Then try 200mm, then 300mm. Get it all smooth before you complicate it with running a part. See if it still jerks, fix that.

Rick

Yes that's what I did. I used Pronterface to extrude the 50mm and only got 40. The extruder was jerking forwards and backwards while it was trying to extrude. I heated the hotend up to 185 then did the extrude. That is how I figured out it was being jerking. I put a pencil mark on the gear and could see it
Jerking backwards and forwards when it was trying to feed the filament. How do I check to see if slic3r is set to retract? I'm guessing it I can stop the jerking
I could get a much better feed length.

Any ideas?
September 17, 2015 07:05PM
I am curious if there is a delta printer G-code primer that I could read some where. I'm trying to follow the Configuration Manual, but I haven't a clue what some of the commands are supposed to be doing, so It's not really helpful when things go wrong...

For example, it has you use the F4000 at the end of changing the Z coordinate- why? What does Fxxx do? Or even the Gx? I really want to understand. I was browsing the RepRap Wiki but it has information on all firmwares, and does seem to cover the F commands. Any resources anyone might be able to point me in would be appreciated.

Side question- I still can't figure out why my printer runs away from me and bottoms out the X axis when I press the red YX butting in Pronterface. I assume that's supposed to be the (0,0) button, but again I haven't a clue since it doesn't populate anything in the console when you press, so I don't know what command it's sending.
September 17, 2015 07:15PM
davidf01

Yes that's what I did. I used Pronterface to extrude the 50mm and only got 40. The extruder was jerking forwards and backwards while it was trying to extrude. I heated the hotend up to 185 then did the extrude. That is how I figured out it was being jerking. I put a pencil mark on the gear and could see it
Jerking backwards and forwards when it was trying to feed the filament. How do I check to see if slic3r is set to retract? I'm guessing it I can stop the jerking

Any ideas?

Yeah, your 185 is too low. Been there, done that too. Bump it up to 210 and try again.

Rick
September 17, 2015 07:34PM
Not sure if this is really the appropriate forum but I couldn't locate a better one. I'm in the process of upgrading to duet electronics and my endstops are reporting "max stop" no matter what I do. Any ideas?

Edit: I'm a big dummy. M574 S0 Fixed it.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/17/2015 07:36PM by wrangellboy.
September 17, 2015 07:38PM
llamatrails
davidf01

Any ideas?

Yeah, your 185 is too low. Been there, done that too. Bump it up to 210 and try again.

Rick

If I put it at 210 the filament drips out of the nozzle when it's just sitting there? How do I stop that?
September 17, 2015 08:44PM
davidf01
llamatrails
davidf01

Any ideas?

Rick

If I put it at 210 the filament drips out of the nozzle when it's just sitting there? How do I stop that?

Lower it by 5 degrees. You should hit a sweet spot where it doesnt come out or comes out just a bit.
September 18, 2015 12:04AM
I lowered it to about 200 and it seems like it is not dripping like it was before.

I think nothing is going to matter if the extruder does not work right. I'm still getting the motor jerking back and forth
the whole time it should be extruding. Anyone know if this extruder can be broken? Or can the stepper drive be broken?
September 18, 2015 06:46AM
fattmann
I am curious if there is a delta printer G-code primer that I could read some where. I'm trying to follow the Configuration Manual, but I haven't a clue what some of the commands are supposed to be doing, so It's not really helpful when things go wrong...

For example, it has you use the F4000 at the end of changing the Z coordinate- why? What does Fxxx do? Or even the Gx? I really want to understand. I was browsing the RepRap Wiki but it has information on all firmwares, and does seem to cover the F commands. Any resources anyone might be able to point me in would be appreciated.

Side question- I still can't figure out why my printer runs away from me and bottoms out the X axis when I press the red YX butting in Pronterface. I assume that's supposed to be the (0,0) button, but again I haven't a clue since it doesn't populate anything in the console when you press, so I don't know what command it's sending.

F is the speed at which to move, I believe it in Minutes, So F4000 /60 is 66mm sec?

I found that part of the reason I was having trouble getting my printer calibrated is because I was doing everything entirely too fast. My printer isnt a Ferrari, it's more like a diesel semi, slow but sure and my cargo will arrive.
September 18, 2015 09:36AM
So I turned on eeprom to try and do some calibration tests and my extruder tests but I think something is wrong. I can only move the hotend to the top or bottom. I cant stop
it at say G1 z20. I also noticed that when I do M114 and the hotend is right at the the print bed my Z coord shows max MANUAL_Z_HOME_POS as the coordinates instead of 0.
It is like the Z coordinate is inverted in eeprom. When eeprom is off MANUAL_Z_HOME_POS shows 0 at the print bed. Is there some setting I'm missing?

This extruder issue is driving me nuts. Here is a video showing what the extruder is doing. I'm extruding 50mm of filament in this video. I put a pencil
line on the gear so you can see what it is doing. If you have aby ideas let me know.

[youtu.be]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/18/2015 10:49AM by davidf01.
September 18, 2015 12:08PM
I had to invert the x, y and z directions in my firmware, or rather, remove the inversion.
Before i did that all it would do was crash into the bed.

#define INVERT_X_DIR false // for Mendel set to false, for Orca set to true
#define INVERT_Y_DIR false // for Mendel set to true, for Orca set to false
#define INVERT_Z_DIR false // for Mendel set to false, for Orca set to true

Also make sure that all endstops are in open when the carriage is in the center. Just invert them in the firmware if they are not.
The manual says that z_min should be normally triggered, but i coudn't get g29 to work then.
September 18, 2015 04:22PM
davidf01

This extruder issue is driving me nuts. Here is a video showing what the extruder is doing. I'm extruding 50mm of filament in this video. I put a pencil
line on the gear so you can see what it is doing. If you have aby ideas let me know.

[youtu.be]

Let's break this down to keep it as simple as possible.

Open pronterface and heat up the hotend to 200.
On the hotend side, pull out the filament and teflon tube.
Now, in pronterface, set the extrude length to 100 and the speed to 100. Hit extrude.

Does it still stutter and jerk or does it push the filament through the teflon tube?
If it stutters and jerks, try it again with the teflon tube removed from the motor side.
If it still stutters and jerks, try it without any filament. The motor should run perfectly in both extrude and retract.
If not, I'd replace the A4988 driver.

Rick
September 18, 2015 04:56PM
I'm having issues with the infamous DELTA_SMOOTH_ROD_OFFSET. The configuration manual has you do a simple measurement, which I've read isn't quite that simple.

I've read through a few of the configuration guides and have determined mine travels in a convex fashion, so that I need to increase the value. Once I get to about 250- the printer stops responding to all commands. If I go down at all I only get about a 1" radius before it crashes.

With it maxed out at 250, I get about 3" radius. However the hotend buries itself in the bed instantly after hitting print.

I can't seem to find any value that gives me a flat travel, even with it in the mid 200s....
September 18, 2015 11:22PM
llamatrails
davidf01

[youtu.be]

Now, in pronterface, set the extrude length to 100 and the speed to 100. Hit extrude.

Does it still stutter and jerk or does it push the filament through the teflon tube?
If it stutters and jerks, try it again with the teflon tube removed from the motor side.
If it still stutters and jerks, try it without any filament. The motor should run perfectly in both extrude and retract.

Rick

RIck, thanks for your help.

I think we are getting someplace. I removed the hotend and extruded and it worked but not every time. I did get some skipping after the first extrude but not as bad as before.
I then removed everything up to the extruder including the teflon tube and it extruded just fine, no skipping. My teflon tube is stuck in the brass fitting because for some reason
the blue release part is not working so now I need to figure what it is I need to order to replace it. But if I attach the teflon tube to the extruder it feels tight but it does extrude with no skipping.
I changed my DEFAULT_AXIS_STEPS_PER_UNIT to 95 and I'm getting close to the requested extruded amount but that is only through the teflon tube. I'm guessing I should attach it to the hotend
without the nozzle to see where it gets hung up. Does that sound about right to you?

What are the brass fittings called?
September 19, 2015 02:49AM
davidf01
llamatrails
davidf01

[youtu.be]

Rick

I think we are getting someplace. I removed the hotend and extruded and it worked but not every time. I did get some skipping after the first extrude but not as bad as before.
I then removed everything up to the extruder including the teflon tube and it extruded just fine, no skipping. My teflon tube is stuck in the brass fitting because for some reason
the blue release part is not working so now I need to figure what it is I need to order to replace it. But if I attach the teflon tube to the extruder it feels tight but it does extrude with no skipping.
I changed my DEFAULT_AXIS_STEPS_PER_UNIT to 95 and I'm getting close to the requested extruded amount but that is only through the teflon tube. I'm guessing I should attach it to the hotend
without the nozzle to see where it gets hung up. Does that sound about right to you?

They are "pneumatic connectors", they are made with different threads so you have to find out what you are using.
If you are about to order things, check the size of your extruder pulley too. I don't think you should use anything larger then a Mk8 pulley on a direct drive extruder.
September 19, 2015 10:31AM
davidf01

I've had the teflon tube stuck in the connector, it took holding down the blue ring and a lot of force to pull the tube out. The end of the tube may not be cut cleanly, I've seen some folks take a drill bit to bevel the inside edge. If the cut isn't clean, it could cause the filament to feed off center and hang.
Another thing is the PTFE sleeve inside the hotend may be hanging it or it isn't seated inside correctly. It should slide out. Take the nozzle off the hotend and make sure the path through it is clear.

When I heat up the hotend and pull out the filament, I can then take a piece of filament and push it back in with liquid filament coming out the nozzle. It should be that easy.

Rick
September 19, 2015 12:43PM
SlowFoot
davidf01
llamatrails
davidf01

[youtu.be]

Rick

They are "pneumatic connectors", they are made with different threads so you have to find out what you are using.
If you are about to order things, check the size of your extruder pulley too. I don't think you should use anything larger then a Mk8 pulley on a direct drive extruder.

I will have to try and pull the tube out before I order anything. I would just replace what folger sent me with this kit.

Thx
September 19, 2015 12:50PM
llamatrails
davidf01

I've had the teflon tube stuck in the connector, it took holding down the blue ring and a lot of force to pull the tube out. The end of the tube may not be cut cleanly, I've seen some folks take a drill bit to bevel the inside edge. If the cut isn't clean, it could cause the filament to feed off center and hang.
Another thing is the PTFE sleeve inside the hotend may be hanging it or it isn't seated inside correctly. It should slide out. Take the nozzle off the hotend and make sure the path through it is clear.

When I heat up the hotend and pull out the filament, I can then take a piece of filament and push it back in with liquid filament coming out the nozzle. It should be that easy.

Rick

I will give pulling the tube or another try but that tube is in there tight. I also have the hotend apart and the small PTFE sleeve does come out. I think the first time I put the filament in it was very tough and it was hitting on something. If I can get the tube out I'm going to try and use a still bit to do what you said. I'm guessing there could be more then one issue effecting the extruder.
September 19, 2015 05:56PM
davidf01

I stumbled upon your post just now and I had a similar problem with the new spring loaded feeder. When I took mine apart, I spun the brass feed gear and felt it hang up on the inside diameter of the feed motor end bell. I took the gear off and turned it down 0.01" in diameter. No more hanging and it feeds consistently now. I just did a 40 mm test cube and X and Y were perfect and there were no more misfeeds. Give it another look.
September 19, 2015 07:18PM
tjnamtiw
davidf01

I stumbled upon your post just now and I had a similar problem with the new spring loaded feeder. When I took mine apart, I spun the brass feed gear and felt it hang up on the inside diameter of the feed motor end bell. I took the gear off and turned it down 0.01" in diameter. No more hanging and it feeds consistently now. I just did a 40 mm test cube and X and Y were perfect and there were no more misfeeds. Give it another look.

Thanks for the information. I will take it apart again and see what it is doing if needed once I finish testing the hotend. I did get a good feed through just the extruder but there was no resistance when I did that.
September 19, 2015 09:30PM
I am looking to buy the Folger Tech Kossel 2020, what a great price. I think it is a great printer with quality parts, I would just like a little more build volume.

Has anyone taken the Folger Tech Kossel 2020 and expanded on the width and height by using larger 2020 beams?
September 20, 2015 03:34AM
SmileySXT
I am looking to buy the Folger Tech Kossel 2020, what a great price. I think it is a great printer with quality parts, I would just like a little more build volume.

Has anyone taken the Folger Tech Kossel 2020 and expanded on the width and height by using larger 2020 beams?
Out of the kit you will only be able to use the printed parts (that are OK but not much more), the pulleys, the nut and bolts and the hot end. The motors are on the weak side, the metal corners have some issues, the rods are a bit thin and the electronics are on the brink to handle the printer. I would recommend to find a XL-kit or, probably better, source the parts your self. I also suspect that deltas, for the same accuracy, are harder to set up the bigger they are.
I also would like something bigger then the Kossel but I have not decided on what track to go, a larger delta, a H-bot or a portal printer. May be next year..........
September 20, 2015 05:34AM
SmileySXT

You might like to check out my blog entry on building a large Kossel at [miscsolutions.wordpress.com]. I didn't start from a Folger, I started from a T3P3 Mini Kossel.

Large delta printer [miscsolutions.wordpress.com], E3D tool changer, Robotdigg SCARA printer, Crane Quad and Ormerod

Disclosure: I design Duet electronics and work on RepRapFirmware, [duet3d.com].
September 20, 2015 10:58AM
SlowFoot
SmileySXT

Out of the kit you will only be able to use the printed parts (that are OK but not much more), the pulleys, the nut and bolts and the hot end. The motors are on the weak side, the metal corners have some issues, the rods are a bit thin and the electronics are on the brink to handle the printer. I would recommend to find a XL-kit or, probably better, source the parts your self. I also suspect that deltas, for the same accuracy, are harder to set up the bigger they are.
I also would like something bigger then the Kossel but I have not decided on what track to go, a larger delta, a H-bot or a portal printer. May be next year..........

Delta's pretty much are the same regardless of what size they are.

September 20, 2015 11:17AM
SmileySXT

I would not suggest that you buy this to build another. You can buy the robotdigg corners, carraiges, effector, the profiles from Misumi, wheels and plates from openbuild, the duet from replikeo, the e3d v6 from e3d online, optical endstops, paneldue from dc42. A good size heat bed or heatbed + your aluminum or glass print surface. Your nuts and bolts and your t nuts and finally your wiring. That pretty much covers the cost of the printer right there. I can make your wiring as I have all of the wire and ends available, the wiring I use is top end shielded cabling.

You can see the Google sheets document I have been keeping up to date with the costs and part numbers associated with building your own version of this, with upgraded components here. So far the cost associated with the creation of your own, with good parts and not chinese knockoffs is 681$. This is a direct matched version ont he Folgertech size, since I did keep the same extrusion and did not replace that. So your extrusion part numbers would be different HFS5-2020-XXX where XXX is the MM length of your rails.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 09/20/2015 11:23AM by thevisad.
September 20, 2015 02:42PM
Thank you SlowFoot, dc42, and thevisad for the replies. I think I will look at a bigger kit to start with or buy good parts and build from the ground up as thevisad suggests.

I had looked at the Griffin 3D printer but on their online store they want $1,100 for the middle size, but it seems they are not responding to customers or orders so I will look at other options.

I am very technical and hands on but this is my first venture into 3D printing so that is why I was trying to start with a good kit with a build volume of around 300mm square.
September 20, 2015 03:09PM
300mm square would be very large for a delta. The build area of a delta is usually designed to be circular. My build has a printable diameter of just over 300mm.

Large delta printer [miscsolutions.wordpress.com], E3D tool changer, Robotdigg SCARA printer, Crane Quad and Ormerod

Disclosure: I design Duet electronics and work on RepRapFirmware, [duet3d.com].
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login