Advanced

Folger Tech Kossel Delta 2020 Full 3D Printer Kit w/Auto-Level

Posted by Kasahabo 
Re: Folger Tech Kossel Delta 2020 Full 3D Printer Kit w/Auto-Level
September 20, 2015 03:24PM
thevisad
SlowFoot
SmileySXT
I am looking to buy the Folger Tech Kossel 2020, what a great price. I think it is a great printer with quality parts, I would just like a little more build volume.

Has anyone taken the Folger Tech Kossel 2020 and expanded on the width and height by using larger 2020 beams?
Out of the kit you will only be able to use the printed parts (that are OK but not much more), the pulleys, the nut and bolts and the hot end. The motors are on the weak side, the metal corners have some issues, the rods are a bit thin and the electronics are on the brink to handle the printer. I would recommend to find a XL-kit or, probably better, source the parts your self. I also suspect that deltas, for the same accuracy, are harder to set up the bigger they are.
I also would like something bigger then the Kossel but I have not decided on what track to go, a larger delta, a H-bot or a portal printer. May be next year..........

Delta's pretty much are the same regardless of what size they are.

Come to think of it, print area / rod length is probably what will make errors show the most. So, true, size will not matter that much.
September 20, 2015 04:14PM
thevisad
SmileySXT
I am looking to buy the Folger Tech Kossel 2020, what a great price. I think it is a great printer with quality parts, I would just like a little more build volume.

Has anyone taken the Folger Tech Kossel 2020 and expanded on the width and height by using larger 2020 beams?

I would not suggest that you buy this to build another. You can buy the robotdigg corners, carraiges, effector, the profiles from Misumi, wheels and plates from openbuild, the duet from replikeo, the e3d v6 from e3d online, optical endstops, paneldue from dc42. A good size heat bed or heatbed + your aluminum or glass print surface. Your nuts and bolts and your t nuts and finally your wiring. That pretty much covers the cost of the printer right there. I can make your wiring as I have all of the wire and ends available, the wiring I use is top end shielded cabling.

You can see the Google sheets document I have been keeping up to date with the costs and part numbers associated with building your own version of this, with upgraded components here. So far the cost associated with the creation of your own, with good parts and not chinese knockoffs is 681$. This is a direct matched version ont he Folgertech size, since I did keep the same extrusion and did not replace that. So your extrusion part numbers would be different HFS5-2020-XXX where XXX is the MM length of your rails.

Thevisad. what are the advantages of optical endstops?
September 20, 2015 04:46PM
cman8

Thevisad. what are the advantages of optical endstops?

More precision on the endstop position potentially. With optical it will always break the beam at exactly the same spot, so theoretically as long as nothing is moved it will always stay the same. With mechanical you can have play over time, bent switch actuators, dirt on the actuator surface, switch failures, dirt on the switch mechanism itself and voltage bleed through on cheaper switches. However, I found that the switches used in the original Folgertech (pretty much the standard switch) were pretty precise once aligned.
September 20, 2015 05:04PM
Sorry, I meant circular, 300mm square would be quite large I agree.
September 21, 2015 12:52AM
Optical switches dont seem to bve too much of an expense which is cool.
September 21, 2015 03:40PM
So if we get optical endstops would it be a simple swap out with the current endstops or is there
a more complicated procedure to using optical endstops?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/21/2015 03:41PM by davidf01.
September 21, 2015 04:06PM
davidf01
So if we get optical endstops would it be a simple swap out with the current endstops or is there
a more complicated procedure to using optical endstops?

I had to change the cabling in the plug, but that is a trivial matter and was just swapping two wires. Then it responds just like a normal end stop does. The bigger issue is the end stop optical break and how it mounts to the carriage. I created a laser cut template for new optical end stops and made a small optical break to mount on top of the existing carriage. I etched out the location for the optical sensor to sit into the recessed location. The endstop break mounts to the stop of the carriage and has a 7 mm high break. I created a small openscad file and it takes about 15 minutes to print all three breaks. Mounts with a screw on the metal carriages or glued to the plastic.

September 22, 2015 01:08AM
llamatrails
davidf01

RIck, thanks for your help.

I think we are getting someplace. I removed the hotend and extruded and it worked but not every time. I did get some skipping after the first extrude but not as bad as before.
I then removed everything up to the extruder including the teflon tube and it extruded just fine, no skipping. My teflon tube is stuck in the brass fitting because for some reason
the blue release part is not working so now I need to figure what it is I need to order to replace it. But if I attach the teflon tube to the extruder it feels tight but it does extrude with no skipping.
I changed my DEFAULT_AXIS_STEPS_PER_UNIT to 95 and I'm getting close to the requested extruded amount but that is only through the teflon tube. I'm guessing I should attach it to the hotend
without the nozzle to see where it gets hung up. Does that sound about right to you?

What are the brass fittings called?

I've had the teflon tube stuck in the connector, it took holding down the blue ring and a lot of force to pull the tube out. The end of the tube may not be cut cleanly, I've seen some folks take a drill bit to bevel the inside edge. If the cut isn't clean, it could cause the filament to feed off center and hang.
Another thing is the PTFE sleeve inside the hotend may be hanging it or it isn't seated inside correctly. It should slide out. Take the nozzle off the hotend and make sure the path through it is clear.

When I heat up the hotend and pull out the filament, I can then take a piece of filament and push it back in with liquid filament coming out the nozzle. It should be that easy.

Rick
How tight should the teflon tube be around the filament? I'm still working on my extruder issue and notice that the filament does not move through the teflon tube that easy. I had to order a new brass fitting for the extruder
because the teflon tube is still stuck no matter what I do to get it out. Pressing the blue release does not work.
September 22, 2015 02:05AM
davidf01
llamatrails
davidf01

I think we are getting someplace. I removed the hotend and extruded and it worked but not every time. I did get some skipping after the first extrude but not as bad as before.
I then removed everything up to the extruder including the teflon tube and it extruded just fine, no skipping. My teflon tube is stuck in the brass fitting because for some reason
the blue release part is not working so now I need to figure what it is I need to order to replace it. But if I attach the teflon tube to the extruder it feels tight but it does extrude with no skipping.
I changed my DEFAULT_AXIS_STEPS_PER_UNIT to 95 and I'm getting close to the requested extruded amount but that is only through the teflon tube. I'm guessing I should attach it to the hotend
without the nozzle to see where it gets hung up. Does that sound about right to you?

I've had the teflon tube stuck in the connector, it took holding down the blue ring and a lot of force to pull the tube out. The end of the tube may not be cut cleanly, I've seen some folks take a drill bit to bevel the inside edge. If the cut isn't clean, it could cause the filament to feed off center and hang.
Another thing is the PTFE sleeve inside the hotend may be hanging it or it isn't seated inside correctly. It should slide out. Take the nozzle off the hotend and make sure the path through it is clear.

When I heat up the hotend and pull out the filament, I can then take a piece of filament and push it back in with liquid filament coming out the nozzle. It should be that easy.

Rick
How tight should the teflon tube be around the filament? I'm still working on my extruder issue and notice that the filament does not move through the teflon tube that easy. I had to order a new brass fitting for the extruder
because the teflon tube is still stuck no matter what I do to get it out. Pressing the blue release does not work.
I had this happen to me too. I think their fittings suck. I got a new one and works as it should.
September 22, 2015 09:51AM
It should slide through with almost no tension.
Wonder if the filament diameter is wrong. My Folger 2020 uses 1.75 mm filament. Can you put a caliper to it?

Rick

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/22/2015 09:53AM by llamatrails.
September 22, 2015 04:10PM
cman8
davidf01
llamatrails
davidf01

Rick
I had this happen to me too. I think their fittings suck. I got a new one and works as it should.

Cman8 do you remember where you bought yours?

Is anyone else getting a bad gateway error on this site lately?
September 22, 2015 04:43PM
davidf01

Thee have been comments that the PTFE tube is not the right size and is slightly too small for the filament. It should be a 2mm ID PTFE tubing around the 1.75 mm filament. As long as your filament has accuracy over the length there should be fewer issues. I have had the PTFE tubing stick in the hotend as well. I have had to push down on the blue captive sleeve and then yank on the PTFE tubing in order to get it out. You can get the Bowden PTFE connector on ebay.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 09/22/2015 04:56PM by thevisad.
September 23, 2015 11:47AM
davidf01
cman8
davidf01
llamatrails
davidf01

Rick

Cman8 do you remember where you bought yours?

Is anyone else getting a bad gateway error on this site lately?
I got these out of ebay. I have been having problems also with the forum.
September 23, 2015 04:35PM
I had a spool of Inland PLA that was off, and had lumps to 1.9-something mm, IIRC, and would jam. 8 others were fine, as was the replacement, but it *can* happen, and can produce some intense head scratching for a bit . . .

- Tim
September 23, 2015 04:59PM
September 23, 2015 05:04PM
tadawson
I had a spool of Inland PLA that was off, and had lumps to 1.9-something mm, IIRC, and would jam. 8 others were fine, as was the replacement, but it *can* happen, and can produce some intense head scratching for a bit . . .

- Tim

I have the filament working well going through the extruder and down the tube. Now I have to test how it goes through
the brass fitting and through the hotend. I hope it flows through the hotend and PTFE ok. If it does not what can it be other then the PTFE tube?

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 09/23/2015 06:00PM by davidf01.
September 23, 2015 06:05PM
davidf01

I have the filament working well going through the extruder and down the tube. Now I have to test how it goes through
the brass fitting and through the hotend. I hope it flows through the hotend and PTFE ok. If it does not what can it be other then the PTFE tube?

If you can get the teflon tube out out of the fitting, you may find the end is crushed or deformed.
If you pull the nozzle, the filament should shoot through the PTFE tube and hotend. That leaves the nozzle, which could also be restricted.

Rick
September 23, 2015 08:07PM
davidf01

I've had it happen that the small metal "teeth" that grab on to the PTFE tube break off and clog the hot end tube.. i was lucky enough that i saw it kind of collecting on top of the opening (inbetween where the hot end starts and the pushfit adapter connects) used my wifes tweezers and pulled out the pieces. smiling smiley
September 23, 2015 08:17PM
thought i'd share my new fan assembly - added three fans.. it's a monstrosity!!! my folgertech really does not look stock anymore..
Attachments:
open | download - IMG_2246.JPG (319.5 KB)
open | download - IMG_2248.JPG (418.3 KB)
September 24, 2015 01:06AM
I finally got my g29 auto level to work without crashing into the bed and got some numbers from it.
Does anyone know what the numbers mean and why do I get different numbers every time I run the G29 command?

Here is are the numbers from the last run I did.
SENDING:G29
0.475 0.475 0.475 0.550 0.588 0.588 0.588
0.350 0.350 0.513 0.475 0.625 0.600 0.600
0.175 0.325 0.412 0.475 0.575 0.550 0.425
0.137 0.237 0.325 0.450 0.500 0.537 0.362
-0.075 0.113 0.200 0.350 0.400 0.475 0.362
-0.037 -0.037 0.100 0.238 0.325 0.263 0.263
-0.062 -0.062 -0.062 0.050 0.188 0.188 0.188
September 24, 2015 10:08AM
davidf01
I finally got my g29 auto level to work without crashing into the bed and got some numbers from it.
Does anyone know what the numbers mean and why do I get different numbers every time I run the G29 command?

Here is are the numbers from the last run I did.
SENDING:G29
0.475 0.475 0.475 0.550 0.588 0.588 0.588
0.350 0.350 0.513 0.475 0.625 0.600 0.600
0.175 0.325 0.412 0.475 0.575 0.550 0.425
0.137 0.237 0.325 0.450 0.500 0.537 0.362
-0.075 0.113 0.200 0.350 0.400 0.475 0.362
-0.037 -0.037 0.100 0.238 0.325 0.263 0.263
-0.062 -0.062 -0.062 0.050 0.188 0.188 0.188

I've always interpreted them as relative Z offsets for the different points it probed. So 0.475 would mean your bed is that much higher than perfect (0) in that location. -0.075 means it's lower than perfect. They will always change a little due to sensor inefficiencies, what you're looking for is that they don't change much between runs. So if you do G29, get a set a of numbers, run G28 then G29 again, and compare the new numbers to the old numbers, they should be similar.

If you have excel, you can import the numbers above and graph them as a surface to get a visual representation of how flat your bed is.
September 24, 2015 10:16AM
Does anyone know the specs of the stock hot end thermister? I upgraded to duet and I'm pretty certain my hot end temperatures are reporting as quite a bit higher than they actually are (Printing pla at 215 and still getting bad layer adhesion, etc...).

I've been fiddling with different H and B values in my M305 command, but it would be nice to know the actual specs to just dial it in once and for all...
September 24, 2015 10:55AM
wrangellboy
Does anyone know the specs of the stock hot end thermister? I upgraded to duet and I'm pretty certain my hot end temperatures are reporting as quite a bit higher than they actually are (Printing pla at 215 and still getting bad layer adhesion, etc...).

I've been fiddling with different H and B values in my M305 command, but it would be nice to know the actual specs to just dial it in once and for all...

If they are still using the same thermistor as when I bought it, you can use a B value of 4204.
I got that value from another user here on the forum, it still doesn't match the values I had with the arduino/ramps, but its close enough, and who's to tell that what you got from the earlier electronics really were accurate?

The H value is not so important, you can tune that your self, just increase it so it matches your room temperature when the hotend is cold.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/24/2015 11:03AM by Koenig.
September 24, 2015 11:55AM
wrangellboy

The hotend is a 100k thermistor so you can just use the standard thermistor that comes with it. The bed thermistor is a 10k thermistor. I ordered a ton of flat ribbon 10k thermistors last week, they should be in house in a week or so. If you bought from Replikeo then the sense resistors are setup in the old fashion using 1k resistors instead. In order to get the correct H value (yup it's very important, if gives you the correct room temp) then you need to use a rock solid resistor in the 100k and 10k ranges to get the H offset for your board. You can dial it in manually, but it's better to grab those perfect resistors to get the right value. I am trying to find the page where it went over exactly what the H value was (offset for room temp) and how to get it.

DC42 said it best here

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/24/2015 11:59AM by thevisad.
September 24, 2015 12:01PM
thevisad
In order to get the correct H value (yup it's very important, if gives you the correct room temp) then you need to use a rock solid resistor in the 100k and 10k ranges to get the H offset for your board. You can dial it in manually, but it's better to grab those perfect resistors to get the right value. I am trying to find the page where it went over exactly what the H value was (offset for room temp) and how to get it.

It was dc42 who mentioned it, that you can just leave it at 0 if you don't want to go through the efforts of dialing it in, the important thing is the B-value so it gives the right readings around working temperature.
In retrospect I think I understand what he meant, there's just really no use of correct room temperature on your hotend
September 24, 2015 12:08PM
Koenig
thevisad
In order to get the correct H value (yup it's very important, if gives you the correct room temp) then you need to use a rock solid resistor in the 100k and 10k ranges to get the H offset for your board. You can dial it in manually, but it's better to grab those perfect resistors to get the right value. I am trying to find the page where it went over exactly what the H value was (offset for room temp) and how to get it.

It was dc42 who mentioned it, that you can just leave it at 0 if you don't want to go through the efforts of dialing it in, the important thing is the B-value so it gives the right readings around working temperature.
In retrospect I think I understand what he meant, there's just really no use of correct room temperature on your hotend

Yeah, I was not going to do it, but I have a difference of 3ish between the two ends. I tried doing an array of thermistors to try and get a better average across the hotbed, but that leaves a lot to be desired. So, I am going through this right now on mine, trying to dial it in now to finalize the last steps and make the bed as stable as possible.
September 24, 2015 12:12PM
thevisad
Koenig
thevisad

Yeah, I was not going to do it, but I have a difference of 3ish between the two ends. I tried doing an array of thermistors to try and get a better average across the hotbed, but that leaves a lot to be desired. So, I am going through this right now on mine, trying to dial it in now to finalize the last steps and make the bed as stable as possible.

And a correction on my part, it was the L-value that could be left at 0, he said start with a H-value at 30 and then dial it in.
September 24, 2015 12:16PM
What screw type did you use to attach the Z-probe switch to the servo? None of the hardware that came with my kit (Rev A ) will fit in the hole. All the hardware is far too large, and the servo hole doesn't have threads, and the manual doesn't even mention mounting it.

I was going to ignore the auto leveling until I got it going, but I cannot for the love of me get it to stop traveling in a convex fashion. The rod offset value doesn't seem to be any where in reason, and I haven't found any suggestions as to why not. I'm hoping the auto level will help.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/24/2015 09:59PM by fattmann.
September 24, 2015 12:24PM
fattmann
What screw type did you use to attach the Z-probe switch to the servo? None of the hardware that came with my kit (Rev B ) will fit in the hole. All the hardware is far too large, and the servo hole doesn't have threads, and the manual doesn't even mention mounting it.

I was going to ignore the auto leveling until I got it going, but I cannot for the love of me get it to stop traveling in a convex fashion. The rod offset value doesn't seem to be any where in reason, and I haven't found any suggestions as to why not. I'm hoping the auto level will help.

Read this guide on how to solve the convex issue. Auto leveling will not help this issue, you need to correct the offsets properly. There should be a small screw with very large head compared to its body, looks like this

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/24/2015 12:27PM by thevisad.
September 24, 2015 12:41PM
thevisad
fattmann
What screw type did you use to attach the Z-probe switch to the servo? None of the hardware that came with my kit (Rev B ) will fit in the hole. All the hardware is far too large, and the servo hole doesn't have threads, and the manual doesn't even mention mounting it.

Read this guide on how to solve the convex issue. Auto leveling will not help this issue, you need to correct the offsets properly. There should be a small screw with very large head compared to its body, looks like this

That's what I figured I needed, that was not in my kit sad smiley. Wouldn't be the only thing missing. I'll see what I can scrounge up, just didn't want to jam just anything in the hole.

I've looked at that guide before and had issues with some of the verbiage, as they assume you know the intricacies of the commands being used which I don't in all cases. I still haven't found a good primer on G-code commands. I will have to post again when I get home for the evening, as I'll have to look at my notes as to which parts of the guide I was having issues with. From what I remember the Z heights for the carriages were are traveling exactly the same and reported the same Z values, But I had to use something in the 500s to get the paper pinch to work.

(That's another thing no-one really explains- is it pinch the paper so you can't move it? Barely pinch the paper? Paper move freely? What thickness of paper? Thinner the better?)
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login