Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Folger Tech Kossel Delta 2020 Full 3D Printer Kit w/Auto-Level

Posted by Kasahabo 
Re: Folger Tech Kossel Delta 2020 Full 3D Printer Kit w/Auto-Level
November 12, 2015 06:21PM
I can't wait to get started printing. If the prints come close to the quality of the ones I got with the kit, I'll be very happy.
November 12, 2015 07:36PM
paul_delta
jroever
Finally came across somebody with a Rostock Max mentioning something similar - linked to #define AXIS_RELATIVE_MODES {false, false, false, false} in Configuration_adv.h
Experimentally changed mine to #define AXIS_RELATIVE_MODES {false, false, false, true} and oh what a difference! While my prints were very precise I apparently did not get consistent feed rates which was definitely noticeable
on my translucent PLA prints. My red translucent prints now look like top grade ahi sashimi, while before they looked like, well, cheap plastic smiling smiley

Sounds interesting. Can you please compare the quality with retracts on/off?

Here is the Repetier author point of view:

Repetier
The default in Sprinter, Marlin and Repetier-Firmware is absolute for a simple fact - precision with small moves. Even if you output 6 digits for relative moves it doesn not really matter if the number becomes less the one step. With 400 Steps per mm the smallest relative E-distance is 0.0025 so with relative mode you can add smaller errors. Nothing spectacular if your moves are a mm or more. That only to understand why absolute is better.

As long as rounding errors are accumulated on the slicer side there should be no difference. On the contrary - if the absolute extruder position would not be reset to zero periodically the absolute method would run out of floating point precision really soon!
I checked g codes from Slic3r with rel and abs mode and it seems abs mode re-bases zero every time a retract happens (in the sample I used about every 8-14mm).

Slic3r did insert the correct M82 or M83 codes to enable absolute or relative modes - so the question is what difference the setting in configuration_adv.h makes!?!
Right now my printer is in service mode ... might take me a while before getting to the base of this - but I will and will also provide some close up shots of the results.
November 12, 2015 08:02PM
jroever
paul_delta
jroever
Finally came across somebody with a Rostock Max mentioning something similar - linked to #define AXIS_RELATIVE_MODES {false, false, false, false} in Configuration_adv.h
Experimentally changed mine to #define AXIS_RELATIVE_MODES {false, false, false, true} and oh what a difference! While my prints were very precise I apparently did not get consistent feed rates which was definitely noticeable
on my translucent PLA prints. My red translucent prints now look like top grade ahi sashimi, while before they looked like, well, cheap plastic smiling smiley

Sounds interesting. Can you please compare the quality with retracts on/off?

Here is the Repetier author point of view:

Repetier
The default in Sprinter, Marlin and Repetier-Firmware is absolute for a simple fact - precision with small moves. Even if you output 6 digits for relative moves it doesn not really matter if the number becomes less the one step. With 400 Steps per mm the smallest relative E-distance is 0.0025 so with relative mode you can add smaller errors. Nothing spectacular if your moves are a mm or more. That only to understand why absolute is better.

As long as rounding errors are accumulated on the slicer side there should be no difference. On the contrary - if the absolute extruder position would not be reset to zero periodically the absolute method would run out of floating point precision really soon!
I checked g codes from Slic3r with rel and abs mode and it seems abs mode re-bases zero every time a retract happens (in the sample I used about every 8-14mm).

Slic3r did insert the correct M82 or M83 codes to enable absolute or relative modes - so the question is what difference the setting in configuration_adv.h makes!?!
Right now my printer is in service mode ... might take me a while before getting to the base of this - but I will and will also provide some close up shots of the results.

I think the relative mode will work better in situations when the nozzle is not able to provide the full flow and the extruder gear starts skipping steps (too much speed, the nozzle is too close to the previous layer/bed). I have such situations with PETG, because of it's viscosity. I'll check it next time with two modes.
November 12, 2015 08:06PM
jroever

I guess it's just default mode, when M82/M83 is not provided. I saw on the forum that some slicers don't insert M82/M83. I think configuration_adv.h setting doesn't matter if slicer/firmware work with these codes correctly.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/12/2015 08:08PM by paul_delta.
November 13, 2015 12:27AM
paul_delta
jroever

I guess it's just default mode, when M82/M83 is not provided. I saw on the forum that some slicers don't insert M82/M83. I think configuration_adv.h setting doesn't matter if slicer/firmware work with these codes correctly.

Yup, I just checked the firmware - M82/M83 override whatever value is set on startup by AXIS_RELATIVE_MODES[3]
So my printer must have been working in absolute mode both times. Need to backtrack and see if I changed any other parameters and repeat the prints ...
November 13, 2015 12:27PM
Captain_Tim
SlowFoot
Captain_Tim
Anyone who cut their diagonal rods to be around 250mm, what was your build size? I'm almost at the part where I need to cut them, and I'm deciding if I should go with the recommended 230mm or go for a 250mm
I made mine 250 mm total length but my build is not finished yet.
My goal is to get a higher lowest angel on the arms to reduce the impact of build errors and also a bit larger build area. 50/50 between the two is the plan at the moment. I got a rev A kit so I will not lose much in build hight but, if I get it right, I will lose resolution when the effector is moving towards a tower.

What is your planned build area? I'd like a 210mm diameter from mine. I'm willing to sacrifice some height for that

It will depend on how good the frame come out. 210 is about max with 250 mm arms.
November 13, 2015 12:39PM
Koenig
SlowFoot
Captain_Tim
Anyone who cut their diagonal rods to be around 250mm, what was your build size? I'm almost at the part where I need to cut them, and I'm deciding if I should go with the recommended 230mm or go for a 250mm
I made mine 250 mm total length but my build is not finished yet.
My goal is to get a higher lowest angel on the arms to reduce the impact of build errors and also a bit larger build area. 50/50 between the two is the plan at the moment. I got a rev A kit so I will not lose much in build hight but, if I get it right, I will lose resolution when the effector is moving towards a tower.

I'm not big on the particular math here but isn't it the other way around, you always have the worst resolution in the center of the build-plate?
My train of thought: Closer to the center small movements of the carriages (fewer steps) yields larger movements in the XY-plane than at the towers where the carriages have to move much more to move the effector same lenght as in the middle, except the carriage at the tower you are close to, but the closer you get the less that carriage affects the movement in the XY-plane (only acts as a Z-axis when the rods are perpendicular to the bed)

True, I was thinking of the resolution of the tower, there i will lose about 10%. The impact should be more on Z then XY, as you say.
November 13, 2015 12:41PM
SlowFoot
It will depend on how good the frame come out. 210 is about max with 250 mm arms.

Goodpoint. The instruction manual that I'm using is now stating that the arms should be a total of 240mm, so perhaps I'll see where that total arm length gets me. If I'm not happy, I'll just get new rods.
November 13, 2015 09:13PM
Anyone have a write up on most efficient way of leveling the printbed with springs?

I through in springs under the three mounting points cause I was having some leveling issues. But now that I have three degrees of adjustment it's kind of daunting. I spent a good 30min going back and forth- getting one axis good, which would trash the other. I'm also wondering if people usually go with three or four spring mounting points. I feel like four would be easier as you can level it corner to corner.

So yeah, just looking for pointers I guess. Thanks again.
November 13, 2015 09:22PM
fattmann
Anyone have a write up on most efficient way of leveling the printbed with springs?

I through in springs under the three mounting points cause I was having some leveling issues. But now that I have three degrees of adjustment it's kind of daunting. I spent a good 30min going back and forth- getting one axis good, which would trash the other. I'm also wondering if people usually go with three or four spring mounting points. I feel like four would be easier as you can level it corner to corner.

So yeah, just looking for pointers I guess. Thanks again.

How many points do you need to create a plane? Right - tree non-collinear points. Only 3 adjustment points you need to level the bed for delta. That's it.
Just point your hotend tip as close to the screw as possible and adjust this and only this screw. Then go to the next screw, etc. Usually 2-3 iterations is enought to level the bed. Then play with delta radius to make the center of bed on level with these 3 points (rise/lower these 3 points increasing/decreasing delta radius).

PS: of course you have to rough-level it first with endpoints. Repetier G131 + G132 will do it for you. [www.youtube.com]

Edited 7 time(s). Last edit at 11/13/2015 09:37PM by paul_delta.
November 13, 2015 09:40PM
Whoa. Never heard of this rod thing. Is that just a Repetier thing? I'm currently on Marlin. Messed with Repeteir a few weeks ago and couldn't figure out their configuration tool...

Leveling at each screw makes sense, I'll give that a shot.
November 13, 2015 10:00PM
Question on odd movement.

If I drop down to a Z height of 2mm, then move all the way to the screw that is directly in front of Y+, then manually drop the Z down with two clicks of the Z-1 button, there is still way more than a paper gap.

If I drop to a Z height of 0mm, which passes the paper test in the center, then manually move to the Y+ position- it scars the printbed the whole way burying thoroughly in the print bed.

Shouldn't it get to the same place regardless of method?

I think this is a fundamental problem I'm having. I will have it passing the paper test over most of the center of the bed, but will then bury depending on what I try to print.
November 13, 2015 10:11PM
fattmann
Question on odd movement.

If I drop down to a Z height of 2mm, then move all the way to the screw that is directly in front of Y+, then manually drop the Z down with two clicks of the Z-1 button, there is still way more than a paper gap.

If I drop to a Z height of 0mm, which passes the paper test in the center, then manually move to the Y+ position- it scars the printbed the whole way burying thoroughly in the print bed.

Shouldn't it get to the same place regardless of method?

I think this is a fundamental problem I'm having. I will have it passing the paper test over most of the center of the bed, but will then bury depending on what I try to print.

As I said before, I hate paper test - exactly because of no room to play. Take 1.5-3mm drill bit. Measure opposite from the tip end with calipers. Let's say it's 1.95mm diameter. Move hotend to the screw #1 and set the Z height 1.95mm. Adjust the screw so the drillbit end will just slightly touch the hotend tip when you roll it under. repeat with another screws. Repeat for fine adjustment.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/13/2015 10:12PM by paul_delta.
November 14, 2015 12:17AM
That works beautifully to level the bed, thanks! I ended up using a 2.5mm allen key, as I didn't have any metric drill bits, but the principle is what I needed.

As luck would have it now I'm having issues with the damn Smooth Rod Offset deal. I'll level the bed using your method, but the ends will be lower than the center. So I adjust Smooth Rod, then Z home to compensate. I assume it's just a reiterative process to get it dialed in then. But when I adjust the Smooth Rod Offset, the end points by the screws aren't even close to being equal, I'm assuming cause maths.

Will continue toying w it. I have a feeling most people don't have as many issues as I have been having... lol.
November 14, 2015 09:28AM
fattmann
That works beautifully to level the bed, thanks! I ended up using a 2.5mm allen key, as I didn't have any metric drill bits, but the principle is what I needed.

As luck would have it now I'm having issues with the damn Smooth Rod Offset deal. I'll level the bed using your method, but the ends will be lower than the center. So I adjust Smooth Rod, then Z home to compensate. I assume it's just a reiterative process to get it dialed in then. But when I adjust the Smooth Rod Offset, the end points by the screws aren't even close to being equal, I'm assuming cause maths.

Will continue toying w it. I have a feeling most people don't have as many issues as I have been having... lol.

Just repeat your calibration near screws, measure the Z difference in the center and multiply by 2.2. Add or substract the result to/from delta radius and repeat calibration.
But I suggest to find the center of plate (actually, the center of ABC towers triangle) first, as provided in video. In Marlin there is no procedure for that, so you can just use the rod or ruler to place endstops equidistant from the floor. The more your center is off, the more errors you will get near your screws after delta radius adjustment.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 11/14/2015 03:30PM by paul_delta.
November 14, 2015 09:40PM
Just finished the building of the printer to the best of my ability, and I'm already thinking of a few design changes. I wired the motors, endstops, heated bed, although I think I might have the heated bed wires backward, cause it doesn't heat up at all, but the bed thermistor is working. I haven't wired up the Z-probe nor the fan or hot end yet. It's late and I'll do that tommorow. I used paul_delta's Repetier FW, and when I connect to Repetier Host and try to move a the print head, the motors make a high pitched whine, don't move, and continue to whine until I "move" the print head in the opposite direction. This happens for all the motors, and I'm presumming it's because the motors aren't getting enough power to turn the belts while they're tight. Can someone provide me with a guide? I have a volt meter, but don't really know how to use it.

Also, the Extruder motor just does nothing, is that because I haven't plugged in the hotend and hotend thermistor?
November 14, 2015 09:44PM
Not sure on your first issue as I do not run Repetier, but the Marlin FW won't let you run the extruder motor until the hotend is up to temp to prevent binding. If it's not seeing the correct temp (cause the thermistor isn't hooked up, or the hotend isn't heating) then it won't allow the extruder to spin.

I would assume that's the same for most FW.
November 14, 2015 09:49PM
fattmann
Not sure on your first issue as I do not run Repetier, but the Marlin FW won't let you run the extruder motor until the hotend is up to temp to prevent binding. If it's not seeing the correct temp (cause the thermistor isn't hooked up, or the hotend isn't heating) then it won't allow the extruder to spin.

I would assume that's the same for most FW.

That's what I was assuming. It's more than likely the same for the Repetier FW
November 14, 2015 09:52PM
Yes, the hotend must be connected. Regarding the bed wires - there is no dirrerence how to connect because the polarity doesn't play any role.
I'd say that the noise from motors is good sign. They normally make some noise when idle. You can disable them using M84 until nex move.

You can test motors loading RAMPS test code from here :[reprap.org]
It switches on and off all the MOSFET outputs (this will make the leds blink) just be careful not to have the heated bed and extruder heater connected unless you want to heat them. Plus it will move back and forth all the stepper motors.
Disconnect belts, load this code and all motors including extruder should move. And connect the fan to 12v or D9 pin (between bed and hotend pins), you don't want to melt the effector smiling smiley

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 11/14/2015 10:28PM by paul_delta.
November 14, 2015 09:55PM
... make sure that your endstops are connected. Check their status with M119 manually switching endstops.
November 14, 2015 10:02PM
PS: Actually, you MUST calibrate vRef for drivers before switching 12v on.
November 14, 2015 11:41PM
paul_delta
... make sure that your endstops are connected. Check their status with M119 manually switching endstops.

I've checked the endstops with M119, and that'll output results like "endstops hit: m_max:H y_max:H z_max:H Z-probe state: H", That's with all the carrages triggering the endstops. Otherwise they'll read L instead of H. Also, looking at the console on connection with the printer, it has the following two line;

Error: Format error
Resend: 13

Any idea what causes that?

paul_delta

Could you explain that sentence more? I am unsure of what you mean.
November 15, 2015 12:05AM
Captain_Tim
Also, looking at the console on connection with the printer, it has the following two line;

Error: Format error
Resend: 13

Are you using Repetier-Host or something else?
Try to reset your Eeprom to config's default values with M502 and write it back to Eeprom with M500. You can save your current eeprom values to file just in case (Config->Firmware eeprom).
Sometimes format error says that something wrong happened durig com port communication. I'd ignore this error now.

Captain_Tim
paul_delta

Could you explain that sentence more? I am unsure of what you mean.

You have to set vRef voltage for every driver (4 small boards that manage steppers) - [drive.google.com] - step 31, to recommended voltage (0.35v for XYZ and 0.55 for extruder motor.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/15/2015 12:06AM by paul_delta.
November 15, 2015 12:08AM
PS: in my configuration firmware com port speed set to 250000. If your OS is Linux or Mac, change it to 115200 in Configuration.h and recompile.

Update: I see that Mac supports 250000, so it's only for linux the speed must be multiple of 57600.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/15/2015 12:12AM by paul_delta.
November 15, 2015 10:40AM
I'm using Repetier Host at the moment as well as Windows 10.

I don't think I'm using my volt meter correctly though. As I stated above, I have one, but don't really know how to use it. I have the dial turned to measure 2 volts, and the red wire connected to the connector that has the Ohms symbol, and the black connector connected to the COM port of the volt meter.I test the stepper driver just like they say to do in the manual, but I don't get any reading. I've adjusted the pot on the stepper driver, and that doesn't seem to have changed anything. I turned it 2 full rotations clockwise.
November 15, 2015 10:56AM
Disconnect your belts, load RAMPS test code that I provided in prev. message. Stick piece of tape to the motor shafts so they will look like a flag ( [www.youtube.com] )
Switch everything off, rotate all pots counterclockwise. Turn 12V on and start adjusting X motor driver potentiometer clockwise until the motor shaft will rotate. If you will not get any movement - something is wrong with driver, RAMPS, connection or motor.

PS: did you connect black multimeter wire to the RAMPS ground (any pin marked "-")? Are you able to read 12v from power supply?

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 11/15/2015 11:00AM by paul_delta.
November 15, 2015 01:11PM
So after running the test code you provided paul_delta, all the motors move, seems like I need to tighten the gear on the extruder though, seems a bit loose. It's also making a weird noise, as if it's scrapping against something as it turns. I'll disassemble it and check it in a bit. The motors seem to rotate just right, but then loading your firmware back, The motors rotate, but struggle, and rotate very slowly.
November 15, 2015 01:16PM
Make sure that you have all 3 jumpers installed under your driver modules on RAMPS.
November 15, 2015 01:24PM
BTW, do you have A4988 or DRV8825 drivers? If DRV8825 you have to double motor steps in firmware from 80 to 160.
November 15, 2015 02:11PM
paul_delta
Make sure that you have all 3 jumpers installed under your driver modules on RAMPS.

The RAMPS board came with all the stepper drivers and jumpers already installed. I double checked and all of the stepper drivers have the 3 jumpers installed. Also, the package says I have the A4988 stepper drivers.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login