Advanced

Folger Tech Kossel Delta 2020 Full 3D Printer Kit w/Auto-Level

Posted by Kasahabo 
Re: Folger Tech Kossel Delta 2020 Full 3D Printer Kit w/Auto-Level
January 19, 2016 10:48PM
xile6
Wait a min
You turn your heatsink fan off?
Thats a no no it should be on when the printer is on. Ran to 12 volts at all times

Next the fan should blow on the fins. You want to push air through them.

Thats probably half of your filament problem.

Yup, fan was off. I wired my fan to the board as outlined on the manual, and was letting Repetier control it.

Without re-wiring it, can I set it to be always on in Arduino / Repetier?

Fan was also backwards. First flipped the pins... Doh, DC brushless. Then I looked at the pictures again from Folger Tech. Silly me thinking the sticker / shroud should face out. That also explains why the nuts wouldn't fit on the screws they call for.

Giving it another go now.
January 19, 2016 10:51PM
Quick question. I just adjusted the vref (like I should have done initially) to .35 for the XYZ and .55 for the extruder motor. It is much quieter now! When I try the paper test I'm getting pretty significant jumps in movement when adjusting the Z direction. It won't move between .1 and .03, just a big jump between the two. Any suggestions?
January 19, 2016 10:52PM
EvilBetty
Without re-wiring it, can I set it to be always on in Arduino / Repetier?

If you connected the fan to Pin9 (between hot end and bed wires) - Repetier may turn it on/off depending on hot end temperature.
Check my firmware configuration [forums.reprap.org]

My [www.thingiverse.com] stuff, my configuration of Repetier 0.92.6: [forums.reprap.org] (use Arduino 1.6.5 to compile)
January 19, 2016 11:12PM
That seems to have done it.

I turned off the automatic fan controls in Slic3r and set the fan off for layers = 0

This time I got filiment extruded, but it didn't stick. Not sure if it's nozzle height or something with the bed. (using 3M Advanced Multi-Surface tape)

Heading back to do more research.
January 19, 2016 11:13PM
paul_delta
If you connected the fan to Pin9 (between hot end and bed wires) - Repetier may turn it on/off depending on hot end temperature.
Check my firmware configuration [forums.reprap.org]

Will do, thanks!
January 20, 2016 12:35AM
Nothing but fuzz balls, or filament balling up on the head of the nozzle.

Is this the correct method?

dc42
Getting the nozzle height above the bed at z=0 right is critical for first layer adhesion. If in doubt, heat up the bed, put the nozzle at x=100 y=100, then lower the nozzle until it grips a piece of standard 80gsm paper against the bed not too loosely. Then do G92 Z0, then print.

Ive done this, but I'm not sure if the inductive probe is causing the nozzle to be too far away still somehow during printing.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/20/2016 12:37AM by EvilBetty.
January 20, 2016 03:26AM
Success!

Had to raise the pre-heat temp to 215 deg C.

Still having some problems with filament leaking in strands during preheat, usually curling up into the side of the nozzle. Any suggestions for dealing with that? Was happening even at 205c,
January 20, 2016 03:35AM
Do these printers have any lube points I should worry about?
January 22, 2016 01:06PM
Hi, my first post here, I am about to purchase this Kossel from Folgers and the original posts on this thread from 2014 make it clear shipping times were beyond necessary. is this still the case? part of the appeal is an American vendor so i don't have to wait for China delivery times. any other reviews or websites of American vendors for a Kossel?
January 22, 2016 01:23PM
We've bought a couple of these for where I work. The last purchase was submitted last Wednesday (the 13th) and it was received yesterday (Thursday the 21st), so it only took a week. We're only one UPS delivery day away so your mileage may vary....

tovrin
Hi, my first post here, I am about to purchase this Kossel from Folgers and the original posts on this thread from 2014 make it clear shipping times were beyond necessary. is this still the case? part of the appeal is an American vendor so i don't have to wait for China delivery times. any other reviews or websites of American vendors for a Kossel?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/22/2016 01:24PM by Legrand.
January 22, 2016 02:48PM
tovrin

I live in Canada, bought mine in November, got it in a week. It depends on when you buy it. Christmas has ended, so they should be shipping on time, if there was any delay. They seem to have gotten a lot better when it comes to shipping since 2014.

Owner of a QUBD Two Up
And
Folger Kossel 2020
And
Tevo Tarantula
January 23, 2016 12:12AM
has any one had issues with the nozzle temp not stabilizing... ill set it to 210 and it floats from 203 to 215... iv done the auto PID tune about 12 times and made no difference...

also, with the effector homed (top), nozzle ON, bed ON, it says endstops hit Y.... thoughts???

Nophead Mendel90 Remixed in aluminum
Marlin v2.0
Matterhacker Control (latest)
Ramps 1.4
Sainsmart LCD
MK2B heatbed
E3dV6 hotend .4mm tip
1.75mm filaments
dedicated 12v33a psu
dedicated 12v5a laptop psu mod
January 25, 2016 02:08PM
EvilBetty
Still having some problems with filament leaking in strands during preheat, usually curling up into the side of the nozzle. Any suggestions for dealing with that? Was happening even at 205c,

I had this problem for a while -- I solved it by cleaning my nozzle. Sitting it on the edge of the flame from a gas stove burner for... 20 minutes?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/25/2016 03:00PM by Dav3xor.
January 25, 2016 04:16PM
09zx-6r
has any one had issues with the nozzle temp not stabilizing... ill set it to 210 and it floats from 203 to 215... iv done the auto PID tune about 12 times and made no difference...

also, with the effector homed (top), nozzle ON, bed ON, it says endstops hit Y.... thoughts???

Is there a fan shroud on the heat sink fan? If not its possible that fan is cooling the nozzle

The Y trigged is because your home andnit probably didnt back off the endstop enough. Or your getti g some cross talk between endstop and stepper motor.
January 25, 2016 07:19PM
I'm trying the Z-Leveling video (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L9URtv2LqKc) but my printer will not accept the M99 commands. Any suggestions?
January 25, 2016 08:46PM
Use Repetier firmware. This video explains Repetier-related procedures....

MarkM92
I'm trying the Z-Leveling video (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L9URtv2LqKc) but my printer will not accept the M99 commands. Any suggestions?

My [www.thingiverse.com] stuff, my configuration of Repetier 0.92.6: [forums.reprap.org] (use Arduino 1.6.5 to compile)
January 26, 2016 01:19AM
paul_delta
Use Repetier firmware. This video explains Repetier-related procedures....

MarkM92

Actually having the same problem using Repetier firmware. Were you refering to the video MarkM92 linked, or is your link missing?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/26/2016 02:43AM by EvilBetty.
January 26, 2016 02:42AM
EvilBetty
Actually having the same problem using Repetier firmware. Were you refering to the video MarkM92 linked, or is your link missing?

I lied. Actually still using Marlin.

Paul, have you updated your firmware to 92.8? I just downloaded your 92.6 and am going to try it now.
January 26, 2016 04:58AM
EvilBetty

I lied. Actually still using Marlin.

Well that 92.6 firmware didn't work out of the box. I jumped on IRC #reprap for help and they steered me back to Marlin. I'm going to run through the Folger Tech configuration guide again and see what happens.

G29 seems to work fine, but it's obvious when I print bigger than 50mm that the bed is not leveled.

What version of Marlin is the firmware from Folger Tech? I can't find any rev numbers in it. If it isn't RC3, what's the process to update to RC3?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/26/2016 05:00AM by EvilBetty.
January 26, 2016 05:04AM
faithblinded
paul_delta
Try to load this Repetier firmware [forums.reprap.org]
It's pre-configured for FT Kossel.

I tried using that one yesterday, and again just now. It won't compile for me. Here is the error I get in arduino when I try to verify it:
"
sketch\libraries\twi.c:1:17: fatal error: twi.c: No such file or directory

#include

^

compilation terminated.

exit status 1
Error compiling.
"

Sorry if I'm missing something simple. It's been a while since I've been so humbled by a piece of equipment. It's maddening. grinning smiley

I had the same problem. I saved it to a new location / directory then it compiled fine.
January 26, 2016 08:27AM
EvilBetty
Paul, have you updated your firmware to 92.8? I just downloaded your 92.6 and am going to try it now.

I'm still using 92.6. I'm going to recalibrate my Kossel this weekend and will check 92.8.

January 26, 2016 08:30AM
Compile your 0.92.6 with 1.6.5 Arduino. Compilation issues were fixed in 0.92.7 Repetier version.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/26/2016 08:33AM by paul_delta.

January 27, 2016 11:25PM
paul... what do you make of an extruder motor going in reverse for a second and then forward in normal direction for the target length ?

Nophead Mendel90 Remixed in aluminum
Marlin v2.0
Matterhacker Control (latest)
Ramps 1.4
Sainsmart LCD
MK2B heatbed
E3dV6 hotend .4mm tip
1.75mm filaments
dedicated 12v33a psu
dedicated 12v5a laptop psu mod
January 28, 2016 09:38AM
09zx-6r
paul... what do you make of an extruder motor going in reverse for a second and then forward in normal direction for the target length ?

Check your slicer/firmware retraction settings, including auto-retraction feature.

January 28, 2016 04:14PM
09zx-6r

I had an issue somewhat similar when I first built my machine. It would seem to alternately begin moving in reverse, then switch to forward or vice versa. Turned out it was a short in the stepper cable I made to extend the length to the top of the machine where I mounted all of the electronics. Still could happen with the stock cables, so I'd go over the connectors just to rule that out.
January 28, 2016 09:39PM
Does anyone know what the thread size is for the push in fitting on the Folgertech stock hotend.

Thanks
January 29, 2016 06:15AM
I work in a machine shop and just checked it against a gauge. It has an M6 X 1.0 thread.

capacitor
Does anyone know what the thread size is for the push in fitting on the Folgertech stock hotend.

Thanks
January 29, 2016 07:15AM
This is my first post also. I placed an order myself, the shipping label was issued January 21st. It hasn't updated as of Jan.29th . I'm attributing the delay in actual shipping to a parts holdup and or the extreme weather in the Northeast. After reading the 87 odd pages in this thread twice before pulling the trigger I didnt expect a quick turnaround by Folger, but I decided it was time to shoot an email inquiry this morning. Did you proceed with your purchase, and if so how was your experience.?
January 29, 2016 08:09AM
Legrand
I work in a machine shop and just checked it against a gauge. It has an M6 X 1.0 thread.

capacitor

Thanks

By any chance do you know what the push fit thread size is for the fitting for the extruder is? Or are they the same size? I need to replace mine.

Gingerbreadman
Did you proceed with your purchase, and if so how was your experience.?

I purchased the Kossel in November, and it was a very rewarding build for me, although it was stressful at times. I had to replace on of the motors, as it had seemed to be shorted, but it was very easy to get Folger to replace the motor. I have yet to calibrate it, as I've been busy in life, and am currently lacking in the motivation to go through with calibrating it. But the general consensus of people who bought it on here seem to be that if you don't mind putting time into it, it is a great printer for the price you pay.

Owner of a QUBD Two Up
And
Folger Kossel 2020
And
Tevo Tarantula
January 29, 2016 08:56AM
Captain_Tim
Legrand

capacitor

Thanks

By any chance do you know what the push fit thread size is for the fitting for the extruder is? Or are they the same size? I need to replace mine.

I have to assume you're talking about this:

If so, then yes, they're all the same, M6 X 1.0 On the extruder it's 1/8-27 NPT

Gingerbreadman
Did you proceed with your purchase, and if so how was your experience.?

I may have more "purchasing" experience than most people here as I have built three of these and am working on converting a fourth to have a Ø12" build plate.

You can tell that Folgertech is a fledgling, small scale company. The quality and consistency of the product coming from them is not great. It's not bad, but it's not the best either. They 3D print some of the components (the end effector plate, the induction probe holder and the components that guide on the rails) and those components are of the most questionable quality.

I have had all of the end effector plates split (delaminate) as well as some of the guide rail pieces, and have had various other components arrive with really poor build quality. It seems to be hit or miss. They also changed to either melamine or phenolic for the laser cut parts (heat bed and power supply supports) for a while and they were dirty and smelly. They have since changed back to the acrylic versions which are much nicer.

I have replaced all the effector plates with the aluminum versions that they offer, and that's been a great help (albeit at a $25 cost). They always give you extra hardware in the kits, so that's not an issue and they seem to be trying to update their instructions (though they could be better).

Delivery times for me (living one UPS day away) have usually been pretty good, never having to wait more than 10 business days to receive the parts I've ordered (and I've placed several orders for components as well as kits) and usually it's much less, probably around a week.

Support is hit or miss. The very first kit ordered had the incorrect heat bed in it (square instead of circle) and that was immediately rectified. I asked a question about some of the printed components not fitting correctly and received a "just modify them to make them fit" response. The last support question I sent was in regards to one of the aluminum effector plates not fitting properly with one of the extruder heat sinks that I had just purchased. I never received any reply whatsoever regarding that one and the fitment issue (of two aluminum machined parts) shows a systemic lack of quality control. They either don't seem to be purchasing components that they designed themselves (because if they were, they would have the correct tolerancing on them as to avoid this problem), or they are and their supplier is crap or their quality department (if they even have one) isn't doing their job.

If you're mechanically inclined and can figure things out on your own (and with the help of google and forums like this one), then you should be fine. If you expect a kit that just "goes together perfectly and will run straight out of the box" then this kit isn't for you. You're not buying a $10k 3D printer, you're getting a $350 kit.

P.S. Don't forget to buy some filament because all you get with the kit is about enough to print one small cube.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/29/2016 10:47AM by Legrand.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login