Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Folger Tech Kossel Delta 2020 Full 3D Printer Kit w/Auto-Level

Posted by Kasahabo 
Re: Folger Tech Kossel Delta 2020 Full 3D Printer Kit w/Auto-Level
March 06, 2016 06:22PM
You need to adjust Horizontal rod radius and Z max. length - in Repetier Host Config-Eeprom menu.
If you calibrated your printer previously in Marlin - you can just use your old values and transfer them via Eeprom menu.
Diagonal radius in Marlin is Horizontal radius in Repetier.

PrimeraRata
I downloaded your config and reading i found #define DELTA_DIAGONAL_ROD 230 // mm/ My diagonal rod is 240 mm, what more i need to change?

My [www.thingiverse.com] stuff, my configuration of Repetier 0.92.6: [forums.reprap.org] (use Arduino 1.6.5 to compile)
March 06, 2016 06:48PM
Hey guys,

What are some upgrades that you guys recommend doing as soon as I can? I'd like to get this print quality up, and I'll probably add a E3D V6 to it eventually.

Owner of a QUBD Two Up
And
Folger Kossel 2020
And
Tevo Tarantula
March 06, 2016 09:57PM
paul_delta
PS: looks like you are using obsolete version of marlin (FT version?). If you want to stick with Marlin - I'd suggest to download fresh version from [github.com]. Or better switch to Repetier...

Ok, so I've switched, to 0.92.6 and used your configuration as a base , tweaked rod length (mine are 240) reset my bed height then followed docpayce's advice to get and enter my zprobe height settings into eeprom . The probe triggers at exactly 70.60 when measured, but when I run a g28 followed by g29, the probe decends and hovers maybe 10 cm above the bed, never triggers the sensor and then it runs out of bounds (the y rods end up almost parallel to the bed) and triggers error "fatal g29 leveling failed" and shuts down. Finally, I repeated after setting the z- probe height at a lower 60 mm. This time it triggers the probe but then still exhibits the same behavior completing it's aborted leveling with the same error as above.
March 06, 2016 10:04PM
You have to reset eeprom completely after switching from marlin. Load default eeprom settings, save them back to eeprom and enter your values again. Without probe - did you pass the paper test when G28 and G1 X0 Y0 Z0? Are you sure that your z height is correct?

Gingerbreadman
paul_delta
PS: looks like you are using obsolete version of marlin (FT version?). If you want to stick with Marlin - I'd suggest to download fresh version from [github.com]. Or better switch to Repetier...

Ok, so I've switched, to 0.92.6 and used your configuration as a base , tweaked rod length (mine are 240) reset my bed height then followed docpayce's advice to get and enter my zprobe height settings into eeprom . The probe triggers at exactly 70.60 when measured, but when I run a g28 followed by g29, the probe decends and hovers maybe 10 cm above the bed, never triggers the sensor and then it runs out of bounds (the y rods end up almost parallel to the bed) and triggers error "fatal g29 leveling failed" and shuts down. Finally, I repeated after setting the z- probe height at a lower 60 mm. This time it triggers the probe but then still exhibits the same behavior completing it's aborted leveling with the same error as above.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 03/06/2016 10:09PM by paul_delta.

My [www.thingiverse.com] stuff, my configuration of Repetier 0.92.6: [forums.reprap.org] (use Arduino 1.6.5 to compile)
March 06, 2016 10:06PM
Don't execute G29, try
G28
G1 X0 Y0 Z100
G30

You should get z-probe reading for the center of bed.

March 06, 2016 10:42PM
paul_delta
Don't execute G29, try
G28
G1 X0 Y0 Z100
G30

--Did you pass the paper test when G28 and G1 X0 Y0 Z0?

Yes, it worked perfectly, touchdown dead center with a slight drag on the paper.

--You should get z-probe reading for the center of bed..G28
G1 X0 Y0 Z100
G30

When run, works fine until G30 input it then drops to the bed triggers the sensor (lights up) and then throws a "fatal:G29 leveling bed leveLing failed!"

-You have to reset eeprom completely after switching from marlin. Load default eeprom settings.

I'm stalled on the eprom operation. I looked for a default settings or anything like a reset under the firmware configuration tab. Not sure how to proceed to follow your very first suggestion This is my first dealings with eeprom. The online faq indicates eprom is difficult to erase.

?Is that the reason default settings must be reloaded, to effect a clean rewrite?

?Using the import and export buttons under the eprom settings was I supposed to save my original settings?

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 03/07/2016 07:17AM by Gingerbreadman.
March 06, 2016 11:35PM
whats are you guys using for steps and feedrates ??

this is what i imported from my mendel 90, but the original settings from FT arent correct either...

#define DEFAULT_AXIS_STEPS_PER_UNIT {80, 80, 80, 490.576507}
#define DEFAULT_MAX_FEEDRATE {200, 200, 200, 1.5} // (mm/sec) {2500, 2500, 2500, 300}
#define DEFAULT_MAX_ACCELERATION {5000,5000,5000,10000}

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/06/2016 11:36PM by 09zx-6r.

Nophead Mendel90 Remixed in aluminum
Marlin v2.0
Matterhacker Control (latest)
Ramps 1.4
Sainsmart LCD
MK2B heatbed
E3dV6 hotend .4mm tip
1.75mm filaments
dedicated 12v33a psu
dedicated 12v5a laptop psu mod
March 07, 2016 12:02PM
docpayce
@foryst: Leveling the top triangle is *NOT* as important as you might think. The position of that triangle and the endstops is easily compensated by endstop offsets in Repetier and Marlin. Especially if you use tools such as dc42's (Escher) delta calculator.
I suggest to loosen the top triangle at one tower, pull it upwards quite strongly to tension the belt and fasten the triangle-to-tower-beam screw while holding that tension. Do that on all three towers. The resulting "tone" of the tensioned belts should be a low to medium bass tone - not to tight, not loose. It is not as important that all belts hit exactly the same tone (though certainly being a plus), as GT2 belts are very stiff and will give you nice 80 steps/mm for a reasonable tensioning range.
If your belt is to loose, you will have huge issues with backlash, which will eff up a LOT. Especially in Deltas.

Well, the belt tension issue was a single tight belt, but anyhow, after adjusting the belts, and motor voltages, etc, it turned out the problem was a rather strange one (that was, admittedly exacerbated by having too-high voltage on my motors) - it turns out the NEMA 17 I've got at the base of my Z tower has a small fault where it under rotates when moving back up the tower. The amount is considerably lessened with proper voltages, but still enough that over the course of the movement for a medium scale print that the entire print surface shifts away from the Z tower (along the Y axis), and slightly drags on the previous layer until it gets enough tension to overcorrect and jump on the Y-axis by a couple mm, where it then prints normally until the errors build up, etc. Tested by starting at the origin, running a basic gcode movement script in a plane without extraction a few hundred times, and then slowly dropping back down to the print bed and sure enough, the origin was off along the Y axis by a tiny amount. So that's fun. (And yes, I did check to make sure it wasn't a faulty stepper board, no such luck)

Side question: since I'm going to move to new firmware because of the limitations of the stuff from the FT directory, what are people's personal experiences with Marlin vs Repetier in here? I've seen a lot of people using Repetier, but am curious as to why that over Marlin?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/07/2016 12:04PM by foryst.
March 07, 2016 01:05PM
docpayce
@foryst: Leveling the top triangle is *NOT* as important as you might think. The position of that triangle and the endstops is easily compensated by endstop offsets in Repetier and Marlin. Especially if you use tools such as dc42's (Escher) delta calculator.
I suggest to loosen the top triangle at one tower, pull it upwards quite strongly to tension the belt and fasten the triangle-to-tower-beam screw while holding that tension. Do that on all three towers. The resulting "tone" of the tensioned belts should be a low to medium bass tone - not to tight, not loose. It is not as important that all belts hit exactly the same tone (though certainly being a plus), as GT2 belts are very stiff and will give you nice 80 steps/mm for a reasonable tensioning range.
If your belt is to loose, you will have huge issues with backlash, which will eff up a LOT. Especially in Deltas.

I agree that the height itself is easily corrected, but a top triangle that is not level with respect to its base will be tilted. I'd say that it's not important all the column endstops are the same height, but it is important that the triangles are perpendicular to the columns. It's pretty easy to correct, and readjusting the belts is a minor inconvenience. It might be something easy to correct in software, but an incorrectly leveled upper triangle means an incorrectly leveled lower triangle, and an incorrectly leveled lower triangle means that the surface won't be flush with whatever it sits on.. And if the surface isn't flush, you'll get excess vibration. This assumes you're using the precise metal corners though -- I'm guessing less precise corners would cause their own issues with getting a flush surface.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 03/07/2016 02:35PM by spiffcow.
March 07, 2016 01:51PM
Very strange, G30 shouldn't return such kind of error. Definitely something wrong with your settings or Eeprom.
Try again: download preconfigured Repetier archive (the link on the bottom of this message), compile it and upload to your printer.
Then start Repetier host and enter M502 to load default Configuration.h settings and then M500 to store them to Eeprom. Then go to Repetier host Config-Eeprom menu and enter your diagonal rod, z max and horizontal radius values. Click Ok to save values to Eeprom.

Then adjust your z max height for X0 Y0 Z0 using paper test. Home your printer and set your probe mount. Home again and manually, using Repetier host buttons move your effector/probe down (so it will slowly go to X0 Y0 Z0). Pay attention when your probe will trigger (red LED). Write down the current Z (height) value and enter this value as Z probe height to Eeprom using Config-Eeprom menu. Save settings. Home your printer again and move your effector to your Z height poisition + 10-15mm so you will have 10-15mm room between the probe tip and bed. Let's say your Z probe height is 70mm. Execute G28 and then G1 X0 Y0 Z80. Now you are ready to measure your Z-probe for X0 Y0 coordinate. Execute G30 and you should get your Z-probe value for this points (X0 Y0).

Gingerbreadman
paul_delta
Don't execute G29, try
G28
G1 X0 Y0 Z100
G30

Yes, it worked perfectly, touchdown dead center with a slight drag on the paper.

G1 X0 Y0 Z100
G30

When run, works fine until G30 input it then drops to the bed triggers the sensor (lights up) and then throws a "fatal:G29 leveling bed leveLing failed!"

-You have to reset eeprom completely after switching from marlin. Load default eeprom settings.

I'm stalled on the eprom operation. I looked for a default settings or anything like a reset under the firmware configuration tab. Not sure how to proceed to follow your very first suggestion This is my first dealings with eeprom. The online faq indicates eprom is difficult to erase.

?Is that the reason default settings must be reloaded, to effect a clean rewrite?

?Using the import and export buttons under the eprom settings was I supposed to save my original settings?

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 03/07/2016 01:52PM by paul_delta.

March 07, 2016 04:32PM
@Captain_Tim:
There is so much to do. I am planning a youtube video on that.
I did:
- Use paul_delta's z probe (today I use mine with an endstop) instead of original one
- Reprinted the effector
- E3D V6, yes, with a new fan setup (2 fans cooling the print, one the hot end)
- Glass on top of the heated bed, clamped down with either paper clips or picture frame clips
- Improved heated bed holders / fixation
- Improved filament roll holder
I will:
- Magnetic rods
- Remove PTC fuses and use car fuses (those flat ones)

@09zx: Look at paul's configuration.h (in his signature). I use (as far as I remember)
DEFAULT_AXIS_STEPS_PER_UNIT {80, 80, 80, 96}
#define DEFAULT_MAX_FEEDRATE {120, 120, 120, 100} // (mm/sec)
#define DEFAULT_MAX_ACCELERATION {5000,5000,5000,5000}

@foryst: That is SOO weird. Good thing you found that issue. Was hard for sure. Repetier vs Marlin: Imho one BIG plus of Repetier over Marlin is the EEPROM handling and direct link to Repetier Host software. You can change firmware values (steps, accel, velocities, PID, z-probe height etc. pp.) on the fly without uploading a new firmware every time via Arduino GUI. This is so much better that it would be worth to switch just for that. Also Repetier has a better Delta support over stock Marlin as far as I experienced. Especially bed correction is handled better.

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 03/07/2016 04:34PM by docpayce.
March 07, 2016 04:35PM
docpayce
@Captain_Tim:
I did:
- Use paul_delta's z probe (today I use mine with an endstop) instead of original one
- Reprinted the effector
- Glass on top of the heated bed, clamped down with either paper clips or picture frame clips
I will:
- Magnetic rods

Thanks for your replies. I look forward to seeing your video! I don't think my printer is calibrated well enough at this moment to print a new effector though... not yet anyways. Is there an upgrade that you've done that you recommend above all?

Owner of a QUBD Two Up
And
Folger Kossel 2020
And
Tevo Tarantula
March 07, 2016 05:03PM
Captain_Tim
docpayce
@Captain_Tim:
I did:
- Reprinted the effector
I will:
- Magnetic rods

Thanks for your replies. I look forward to seeing your video! I don't think my printer is calibrated well enough at this moment to print a new effector though... not yet anyways. Is there an upgrade that you've done that you recommend above all?

Honestly reprinting the effector may be the best improvement if you got one of the effectors that was incorrectly sized like I did. Measure the width of the arm separators on the carriages vs the effector. If they're off by more than a mm, you're gonna have a bad time. Luckily an effector is very easy to print, and given that it's relatively small, hard to screw up. Just make sure to toss the FT bolts and get some at the hardware store. The ones that come with the kit tend to wear on the hex head and become impossible to remove after 1 or 2 reuses.

What makes you think it's not calibrated well enough to reprint the effector?

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 03/07/2016 06:06PM by spiffcow.
March 07, 2016 06:39PM
paul_delta
Very strange, G30 shouldn't return such kind of error. Definitely something wrong with your settings or Eeprom.
Try again: download preconfigured Repetier archive (the link on the bottom of this message), compile it and upload to your printer.
Then start Repetier host and enter M502 to load default Configuration.h settings and then M500 to store them to Eeprom. Then go to Repetier host Config-Eeprom menu and enter your diagonal rod, z max and horizontal radius values. Click Ok to save values to Eeprom.

Then adjust your z max height for X0 Y0 Z0 using paper test. Home your printer and set your probe mount. Home again and manually, using Repetier host buttons move your effector/probe down (so it will slowly go to X0 Y0 Z0). Pay attention when your probe will trigger (red LED). Write down the current Z (height) value and enter this value as Z probe height to Eeprom using Config-Eeprom menu. Save settings. Home your printer again and move your effector to your Z height poisition + 10-15mm so you will have 10-15mm room between the probe tip and bed. Let's say your Z probe height is 70mm. Execute G28 and then G1 X0 Y0 Z80. Now you are ready to measure your Z-probe for X0 Y0 coordinate. Execute G30 and you should get your Z-probe value for this points (X0 Y0).

Gingerbreadman
paul_delta
Don't execute G29, try
G28
G1 X0 Y0 Z100
G30

G1 X0 Y0 Z100
G30

Yikes! New problem, now I'm getting a compilation error when I run verify on a fresh download of paul_delta's "my configuration of Repitier 0.92.6" the thing is, I've done this before with the very same file with no problem and I haven't changed anything. ........

The error message reads:

"sketch\libraries\twi.c:1:17: fatal error: twi.c: No such file or directory

#include

compilation terminated.

exit status 1"
Error compiling for board Arduino/Genuine Mega or Mega 2560"
March 07, 2016 06:43PM
Use previous version of Arduino 1.6.5 to compile 92.6.
This compilation error fixed in 92.8 but 92.8 is still buggy.

Gingerbreadman

#include

compilation terminated.

exit status 1"

March 07, 2016 08:16PM
spiffcow
Honestly reprinting the effector may be the best improvement if you got one of the effectors that was incorrectly sized like I did. Measure the width of the arm separators on the carriages vs the effector. If they're off by more than a mm, you're gonna have a bad time. Luckily an effector is very easy to print, and given that it's relatively small, hard to screw up. Just make sure to toss the FT bolts and get some at the hardware store. The ones that come with the kit tend to wear on the hex head and become impossible to remove after 1 or 2 reuses.

What makes you think it's not calibrated well enough to reprint the effector?

I'll measure the carriages as soon as I can.

I think that the printer is just not so accurate at this time, although with a 2omm calibration cube, it is within =/- 0.1mm... So i suppose it is fairly well dialed in. Perpas I will attempt a reprint. The main issue with printing anything bigger than a looney is that my bed is uneven. One half is lower that the other. I'll have to adjust some endstop offsets first.

Owner of a QUBD Two Up
And
Folger Kossel 2020
And
Tevo Tarantula
March 07, 2016 08:50PM
OK downloaded and installed arudino v1.6.5, It compiles the file...but now when I try to upload i get a never before seen error.

-------- Problem uploading to board:
"averdude: ser_drain ( ) :read error: The handle is invalid. "

paul_delta

Gingerbreadman

#include

compilation terminated.

exit status 1"

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 03/07/2016 08:56PM by Gingerbreadman.
March 07, 2016 08:58PM
You selected wrong port or your port is busy (Repetier?)

Gingerbreadman
OK downloaded and installed arudino v1.6.5, It compiles the file...but now when I try to upload i get a never before seen error.

-------- Problem uploading to board:
"averdude: ser_drain ( ) :read error: The handle is invalid. "

paul_delta

Gingerbreadman

#include

compilation terminated.

exit status 1"

March 07, 2016 09:21PM
Yes, I chased it down. It was a usb driver/serial com port. Whew, sorry my tail chasing is making me a bit skitish. Thanks.
March 07, 2016 09:33PM
What size glass is used by people to put on there kossel? Is it a 220mm piece? Does it also just sit ontop of the screws holding the bed, or do you need to do something else to make it sit there properly?

Owner of a QUBD Two Up
And
Folger Kossel 2020
And
Tevo Tarantula
March 07, 2016 11:05PM
Wow, some major progess.

1. Try again: download preconfigured Repetier archive (the link on the bottom of this message), compile it and upload to your printer.
-Check.

2. Then start Repetier host and enter M502 to load default Configuration.h settings
-Check.

3. And then M500 to store them to Eeprom.
-Check

4. Then go to Repetier host Config-Eeprom menu and enter your a) diagonal rod, b) z max and c) horizontal radius values. Click Ok to save values to Eeprom.
-Check a,b,c

5. Then adjust your z max height for X0 Y0 Z0 using paper test.
-Check

6. Home your printer and set your probe mount. Home again and manually, using Repetier host buttons move your effector/probe down (so it will slowly go to X0 Y0 Z0). Pay attention when your probe will trigger (red LED).
-Check (Z triggers at 70.74)

7. Write down current the current Z (height) value and enter this value as Z probe height to Eeprom using Config-Eeprom menu. Save settings.
-Check

8. Home your printer again and move your effector to your Z height poisition + 10-15mm so you will have 10-15mm room between the probe tip and bed. Let's say your Z probe height is 70mm. Execute G28 and then G1 X0 Y0 Z80.
-Check

.....................................Problem...........................................
9. Now you are ready to measure your Z-probe for X0 Y0 coordinate. Execute G30 and you should get your Z-probe value for this points (X0 Y0).

-No Check, it runs but never triggers the probe, all of your above steps worked. I must have mis-entered some value but tried to remain true to your excellent instructions. My max Z height at 277.60 is paper tested by multiple repeat testing if the affects anything.
March 07, 2016 11:12PM
Home your printer and check M119 endstops/zprobe status. Are all of them low?
Manually put the effector with probe down to touch the bed. Is M119 for z-probe high?

Gingerbreadman

.....................................Problem...........................................
9. Now you are ready to measure your Z-probe for X0 Y0 coordinate. Execute G30 and you should get your Z-probe value for this points (X0 Y0).

-No Check, it runs but never triggers the probe, all of your above steps worked. I must have mis-entered some value but tried to remain true to your excellent instructions. My max Z height at 277.60 is paper tested by multiple repeat testing if the affects anything.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/07/2016 11:14PM by paul_delta.

March 07, 2016 11:42PM
Home printer M114 gives,
X:0.00 Y:0.00 Z:277.60 E:0.0000

Z:277.60 matches my max Z in eeprom settings

Effector touching bed M114 gives,
X:0.00 Y:0.00 Z:70.60 E:0.0000

Z:70.60 matches my Z height setting in eeprom settings

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/07/2016 11:43PM by Gingerbreadman.
March 07, 2016 11:43PM
M119, not M114..

Gingerbreadman
Home printer M114 gives,
X:0.00 Y:0.00 Z:277.60 E:0.0000

Z:277.60 matches my max Z in eeprom settings

Effector touching bed gives M114 gives,
X:0.00 Y:0.00 Z:70.60 E:0.0000

Z:70.60 matches my Z height setting in eeprom settings

March 07, 2016 11:56PM
Yikes I'm losing it ..sorry
M119
"endstops hit: x_max:L y_max:L z_max:L Z-probe state:H"

M119 with sensor manually lowered to bed
"endstops hit: x_max:L y_max:L z_max:L Z-probe state:H"

I'm getting the same reading for both.
March 07, 2016 11:58PM
So, check your z-probe wiring - it must be Low in normal condition and High when triggered.
Make sure you connected it to Z-min pins.

March 08, 2016 08:03PM
paul_delta
So, check your z-probe wiring - it must be Low in normal condition and High when triggered.
Make sure you connected it to Z-min pins.

Just as you suggested I had the zprobe wires fliipped, the build manuel had a special note about red to center pin, but doesn't explicitly state the direction of the black wire to the outside . The fuzzy magnified photo mislead me. I pivoted my plug on the red pin, plugged in and instantly flawless g29 probing glory!

Paul_DELTA, as your moniker suggests, you led me true, many many thanks for walking me through!
March 08, 2016 11:06PM
So I begun to print out Paul's magnetic probe holder and I got the mount printed out. The exterior turned out great, but the infill with the perimeters have serious gap. Image

Is that due to under-extruding, or small perimeter widths? Or both?

Owner of a QUBD Two Up
And
Folger Kossel 2020
And
Tevo Tarantula
March 09, 2016 11:53AM
Looks like underextrusion. Did you calibrate your extrusion with? If so, probably you did it at at much lower speed. Probably the speed was too high for this print.

Captain_Tim
So I begun to print out Paul's magnetic probe holder and I got the mount printed out. The exterior turned out great, but the infill with the perimeters have serious gap. Image

Is that due to under-extruding, or small perimeter widths? Or both?

March 09, 2016 11:55AM
I will redo my extrusion width calibration. Then I'll reprint the part. It is still fairly solid though.

paul_delta
Looks like underextrusion. Did you calibrate your extrusion with? If so, probably you did it at at much lower speed. Probably the speed was too high for this print.

Owner of a QUBD Two Up
And
Folger Kossel 2020
And
Tevo Tarantula
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login