Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Folger Tech Kossel Delta 2020 Full 3D Printer Kit w/Auto-Level

Posted by Kasahabo 
Re: Folger Tech Kossel Delta 2020 Full 3D Printer Kit w/Auto-Level
January 29, 2016 09:51AM
Is that the one on the hotend. I know that's the size for the extruder but the one on the hotend looks like 1/8 npt to me. The threads are definitely bigger then the push in fitting on the extruder.

The blue clip came off of mine and I had to super glue the tube into the fitting for know and would like to make sure I order the correct size before I take it apart

Legrand
I work in a machine shop and just checked it against a gauge. It has an M6 X 1.0 thread.

capacitor
Does anyone know what the thread size is for the push in fitting on the Folgertech stock hotend.

Thanks
January 29, 2016 09:54AM
Legrand
If so, then yes, they're all the same, M6 X 1.0

Thank you for the info. It was tough for me to find some at a reasonable price and having it not come from China. I found some from the UK. I would have gone with the ones from Folger, but as I live in Canada, I don't feel like paying $32 USD to get a push fit.

Owner of a QUBD Two Up
And
Folger Kossel 2020
And
Tevo Tarantula
January 29, 2016 09:59AM
capacitor
The blue clip came off of mine and I had to super glue the tube into the fitting for know and would like to make sure I order the correct size before I take it apart
The one on my Extruder came with half of the blue clips broken off, so it doesn't hold the PTFE tubing in at all. They should be identical though, as they weren't labelled separately.

Owner of a QUBD Two Up
And
Folger Kossel 2020
And
Tevo Tarantula
January 29, 2016 10:50AM
You were right. I checked the one on the cylindrical heat sink part of the extruder and it gauges at 1/8-27 NPT.

capacitor
Is that the one on the hotend. I know that's the size for the extruder but the one on the hotend looks like 1/8 npt to me. The threads are definitely bigger then the push in fitting on the extruder.

Legrand
I work in a machine shop and just checked it against a gauge. It has an M6 X 1.0 thread.

capacitor
Does anyone know what the thread size is for the push in fitting on the Folgertech stock hotend.

Thanks
January 29, 2016 01:31PM
So I ran into a problem once I moved out of the 20mm center. When I started trying to print larger items I began having prints fail miserably.

I would start hearing a sound and realized it was the nozzle hitting the print. If I let it continue, it would result in a "skewed" print.

As I was troubleshooting, I went back to recalibration and tighten up the first layer height. What I noticed is that the head seems to dip at yz and yz directions, and raise at yx and xz positions. When printing something circular this has the appearance of the hot end going over an imaginary speed bump. Then end result in things like filament on stick on one side, but sticking fine on the other. Or being smeared on one side, but sticking fine on the other. Or a combination of both...

I set a small level on the effector plate while manually moving it from x100 to x-100. It has a pretty obvious tilt / pitch to it.

I have checked the physical build at least 5x now.

Smooth rods are all identical (within .1 mm) at 241mm.

Frame is square.

Endstops measure the same distance from the top, from the bottom, and from the bed.

On carriages, the smooth rods measure within .2mm of each other.

On the effector plate, the smooth rods measure within .4mm of each other.

What can I look for that might cause the tilt and raise / lowering of the effector platform?

(*Sorry, apparently the forum doesn't like displaying Google Photo's links. Photobucket appears to be down. Links still work).

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/29/2016 01:40PM by EvilBetty.
January 29, 2016 02:04PM
EvilBetty
What can I look for that might cause the tilt and raise / lowering of the effector platform?

We all have some tilt - more or less. How did you calibrate your printer?
Did you perform a paper test - not only in the center of bed but near towers and opposite to tower points?

My [www.thingiverse.com] stuff, my configuration of Repetier 0.92.6: [forums.reprap.org] (use Arduino 1.6.5 to compile)
January 29, 2016 02:11PM
EvilBetty

We have a tilt because of
1. diagonal rods are not equal
2. diagonal rods are not parallel

If one of screws on the effector/carriage is too tight - it may compress the plastic making this pair of rods not parallel. Double check that.

My [www.thingiverse.com] stuff, my configuration of Repetier 0.92.6: [forums.reprap.org] (use Arduino 1.6.5 to compile)
January 29, 2016 02:32PM
paul_delta
EvilBetty

We have a tilt because of
1. diagonal rods are not equal
2. diagonal rods are not parallel

If one of screws on the effector/carriage is too tight - it may compress the plastic making this pair of rods not parallel. Double check that.

They are not exactly parallel. They are 2-4 mm narrower at the carriages then they are at the platform.
January 29, 2016 02:41PM
EvilBetty
They are not exactly parallel. They are 2-4 mm narrower at the carriages then they are at the platform.

Too much... you have to fix it using washers, etc.

PS: Probably carriages and effector were printed on different printers.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/29/2016 02:44PM by paul_delta.

January 29, 2016 03:31PM
paul_delta

That's in line with what I was thinking of trying next. Thanks!

Is it worth it to buy the aluminum plate from Folger Tech?

Also, has anyone upgraded to Marlin RC3?

I used Winmerge to update mine to RC3 but the Auto-Level settings are completely different and I'm having trouble getting it worked out.
January 30, 2016 03:35AM
EvilBetty
paul_delta

Well that didn't make any difference. All widths between rods are now 52.0mm - 52.8mm.

I spent the last 2 hours measuring every angle, span, and joint and can't find any non-square surfaces or corners, and non-parallel rods or beams.

The rods are all within .5mm in length (screw head to screw head) and within .8mm in parallel.

The towers are all square with the base and top, and within .3mm of each other at all points from top to bottom.

The only way I can see something wrong is watching the effector platform tilt, and by printing.

The end stops are the same distance from the bottom, top, and bed.

I'm trying to print this to test.
[www.thingiverse.com]

But I can't even get the first layer to lay down at the outside of the bed.

The X-Y side will go very low in the corners, and normal in between.

The Z side will not be low enough, causing it not to stick to the bed.

On a normal print, it results in a bulge in that will eventually start striking the nozzle and cause the belt to skip and then skew the print.

The last thing I tried was running the Z tower end stop down 3mm. Didn't make any difference.

The nozzle dug in enough to catch the tape, screwing up the video I was trying to capture of it, but maybe it will help. If not I'll make another tomorrow.

[www.youtube.com]

January 30, 2016 10:50AM
EvilBetty
The last thing I tried was running the Z tower end stop down 3mm. Didn't make any difference.

The nozzle dug in enough to catch the tape, screwing up the video I was trying to capture of it, but maybe it will help. If not I'll make another tomorrow.

[www.youtube.com]

You didn't answer my question:
How did you calibrate your printer?
Did you perform a paper test - not only in the center of bed but near towers and opposite to tower points?

What I see is banal uncalibrated printer.

January 30, 2016 12:05PM
So I am finally getting at calibrating my Kossel after my move. Following the video that paul_delta provided a few pages back, I am at the step where you take the Build Surface Radius and get the 3 tower points by using COS() and SIN() with the tower angles. I got my angles, but my printer won't move to them. For example, my X Tower should be at X-78, Y-45. If I do this "G1 X-78 Y-45 Z10", it won't move. If I do "G1 Y-45 Z10" it'll move, but if I do "G1 X-78 Z10", it won't. So I assume that it's something wrong with the X axis, but I can move it to -77, it just won't go any higher. What seems to be my issue?

Also, separate issue, It seems that Y45 is closer to the edge of the build plate then Y-45, but about 10mm or so, what can cause this?

Owner of a QUBD Two Up
And
Folger Kossel 2020
And
Tevo Tarantula
January 30, 2016 12:49PM
Probably your firmware settings (software endstops) don't allow to move out of calculated printable area boundaries.
What is your Max printable radius in Eeprom?

You may try to set
#define max_software_endstop_r
to false
, re-upload the firmware and try again.

Update: in 0.92.6 max_software_endstop_r doesn't play any role, you may set min_software_endstop_x/y/z and max_software_endstop_x/y/z to false. But you should be careful after that because there is a chance that you will stress your mechanics hitting the floor.

Also #define DELTA_FLOOR_SAFETY_MARGIN_MM may trigger stop when firmware thinks that the carriage is too close to the floor. You may set it to 0.

Captain_Tim
So I am finally getting at calibrating my Kossel after my move. Following the video that paul_delta provided a few pages back, I am at the step where you take the Build Surface Radius and get the 3 tower points by using COS() and SIN() with the tower angles. I got my angles, but my printer won't move to them. For example, my X Tower should be at X-78, Y-45. If I do this "G1 X-78 Y-45 Z10", it won't move. If I do "G1 Y-45 Z10" it'll move, but if I do "G1 X-78 Z10", it won't. So I assume that it's something wrong with the X axis, but I can move it to -77, it just won't go any higher. What seems to be my issue?

Also, separate issue, It seems that Y45 is closer to the edge of the build plate then Y-45, but about 10mm or so, what can cause this?

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 01/30/2016 01:01PM by paul_delta.

January 30, 2016 01:06PM
My Max Printable Radius is set to 90mm. And when I try to re-upload the firmware I get the following error:

Arduino: 1.6.7 (Windows 10), Board: "Arduino Mega ADK"

sketch\libraries\twi.c:1:17: fatal error: twi.c: No such file or directory

#include 

^

compilation terminated.

exit status 1
Error compiling.

This report would have more information with
  "Show verbose output during compilation"
  enabled in File > Preferences.

I'm using your Repetier FW btw paul_delta, in case you were unaware.

Owner of a QUBD Two Up
And
Folger Kossel 2020
And
Tevo Tarantula
January 30, 2016 01:11PM
You have to compile 92.6 using previous version 1.6.5 of Arduino.

Captain_Tim
Arduino: 1.6.7 (Windows 10), Board: "Arduino Mega ADK"

sketch\libraries\twi.c:1:17: fatal error: twi.c: No such file or directory

January 30, 2016 01:24PM
Captain_Tim

probably you use my previous configuration of firmware. There is an error, make sure that
#define ENDSTOP_X_BACK_MOVE 5
#define ENDSTOP_Y_BACK_MOVE 5
#define ENDSTOP_Z_BACK_MOVE 5

are equal.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 01/30/2016 01:25PM by paul_delta.

January 30, 2016 01:25PM
So it's uploaded now, and I changed the values, but still nothing. Still can't move the X to -78

EDIT: ENDSTOP_(Axis)_BACK_MOVE are = 5

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/30/2016 01:28PM by Captain_Tim.

Owner of a QUBD Two Up
And
Folger Kossel 2020
And
Tevo Tarantula
January 30, 2016 01:28PM
Captain_Tim
So it's uploaded now, and I changed the values, but still nothing. Still can't move the X to -78

Save your eeprom to file and attach/share it.

January 30, 2016 01:29PM
Here is my EEPROM file.

Owner of a QUBD Two Up
And
Folger Kossel 2020
And
Tevo Tarantula
Attachments:
open | download - MyEEPROM.epr (5.3 KB)
January 30, 2016 01:34PM
Captain_Tim
Here is my EEPROM file.

Looks OK... Try to increase Max printable radius, let's say to 95.

January 30, 2016 01:38PM
paul_delta
Captain_Tim
Here is my EEPROM file.

After increasing it to 95 it seems to work well. Now to continue calibrating it I suppose smiling smiley

Thanks

Owner of a QUBD Two Up
And
Folger Kossel 2020
And
Tevo Tarantula
January 30, 2016 01:39PM
PS: here is my google spreadsheet that helps to calculate coordinates:
[docs.google.com]

Captain_Tim
paul_delta
Captain_Tim
Here is my EEPROM file.

After increasing it to 95 it seems to work well. Now to continue calibrating it I suppose smiling smiley

Thanks

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/30/2016 01:40PM by paul_delta.

January 30, 2016 01:42PM
paul_delta
PS: here is my google spreadsheet that helps to calculate coordinates:
[docs.google.com]

Thanks, this should help quite a bit.

Owner of a QUBD Two Up
And
Folger Kossel 2020
And
Tevo Tarantula
January 30, 2016 08:09PM
So when I get to the part of the video where I check and adjust the Horizontal Rod Radius, if the hot end doesn't reach the bed when Z is 0, do I add or subtract value from the Horizontal radius, or is it the Z max Height that I need to adjust?

Owner of a QUBD Two Up
And
Folger Kossel 2020
And
Tevo Tarantula
January 31, 2016 09:59PM
paul_delta

You didn't answer my question:
How did you calibrate your printer?

What I see is banal uncalibrated printer.

I calibrated it setting the Z_MAX using the paper test, and then using the Auto-Level probe. It will fail the paper test at other points on the bed. (too high, too low)

The problem is, because the effector platform is tilting (like a pendulum would) through the x - y movement, The Z-Probe is higher or lower at spots outside the center of the bed.

I think before I can do anything else I need to figure out why this is happening. I went through and double checked the smooth rod lengths and parallel again. My next step is to make sure the everything is OK with the carriages. When I twist on the effector platform while it's toward y-x it wants to cant the Z carriage. Makes sense. There's no play in the carriages (having to twist pretty hard).

Other suggestions?
February 01, 2016 06:26AM
Are you running a G29 (auto level) before printing?

EvilBetty
I calibrated it setting the Z_MAX using the paper test, and then using the Auto-Level probe. It will fail the paper test at other points on the bed. (too high, too low)

The problem is, because the effector platform is tilting (like a pendulum would) through the x - y movement, The Z-Probe is higher or lower at spots outside the center of the bed.

I think before I can do anything else I need to figure out why this is happening. I went through and double checked the smooth rod lengths and parallel again. My next step is to make sure the everything is OK with the carriages. When I twist on the effector platform while it's toward y-x it wants to cant the Z carriage. Makes sense. There's no play in the carriages (having to twist pretty hard).

Other suggestions?
February 01, 2016 09:04AM
EvilBetty

I had the same tilting issue, spent days trying to level the bed using original probe mount and finally did everything manually using drill bit instead of paper. It gives more room for initial calibration than paper test. Forget about this shitty probe mount, save your time and nerves and calibrate your printer manually using dc42 calculator.

February 01, 2016 09:18AM
Captain_Tim
So when I get to the part of the video where I check and adjust the Horizontal Rod Radius, if the hot end doesn't reach the bed when Z is 0, do I add or subtract value from the Horizontal radius, or is it the Z max Height that I need to adjust?

First, adjust Z height and endstop offsets in eeprom to get correct Z0 near towers. Then adjust your Z height in eeprom again to get correct Z0 in the center of bed. Then play with horizontal radius to put near-tower points in level with the center of bed - decreasing the horizontal radius to rise side points or increasing to lower them. The starting point - to increase/decrease the horiz.radius to value of height you need to rise/lower side points multiplied by 2.2.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/01/2016 09:19AM by paul_delta.

February 01, 2016 10:02AM
EvilBetty

Other suggestions?

Legrand
Are you running a G29 (auto level) before printing?

Yes. And it seems to be working as well as the physical characteristics of the printer will allow it.

paul_delta

I had the same tilting issue, spent days trying to level the bed using original probe mount and finally did everything manually using drill bit instead of paper. It gives more room for initial calibration than paper test. Forget about this shitty probe mount, save your time and nerves and calibrate your printer manually using dc42 calculator.

I may have to do that, but the probe seems to be working fine. The problem is the probe is tilting in relation to the print head. I'd like to get that fixed first.

Is this the calculator you're referring to? [escher3d.com]
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login