Re: Folger Tech Kossel Delta 2020 Full 3D Printer Kit w/Auto-Level
February 01, 2016 07:09PM
Captain_Tim
paul_delta
Captain_Tim
vRef is all good, and acceleration is only 100mm. Could it have to do with the arms? As it only happens on at the Z tower, when I'm testing the tower point. It would also appear that when the effector is at X0 Y0, it's not centered and is 6mm closer to the Z Tower.

May be your bed is off-center. Did you perform G131,G132 to get the real center before calibration?

I did not do that. I was unaware I needed to. Will do that now

Check this video: [www.youtube.com]

My [www.thingiverse.com] stuff, my configuration of Repetier 0.92.6: [forums.reprap.org] (use Arduino 1.6.5 to compile)
February 01, 2016 07:12PM
paul_delta
So, X or Y motor looses steps at extreme position. Try to rise the vRef for them. I have no experience with long diagonal rods, probably stock motors are too weak in this case...

It only occurs when I test my Z Tower point which is [X5 Y80]. X Tower [X-69 Y-40] and Y Tower [X69 Y-40] is fine. Also, doing G131 then G132 didn't seem to help. I'll double check my vRefs though.

Owner of a QUBD Two Up
And
Folger Kossel 2020
And
Tevo Tarantula
February 01, 2016 07:19PM
Did you set up Z correction? I notice something like this when Z correction is enabled and moving over a large "bump".

Captain_Tim
paul_delta
So, X or Y motor looses steps at extreme position. Try to rise the vRef for them. I have no experience with long diagonal rods, probably stock motors are too weak in this case...

It only occurs when I test my Z Tower point which is [X5 Y80]. X Tower [X-69 Y-40] and Y Tower [X69 Y-40] is fine. Also, doing G131 then G132 didn't seem to help. I'll double check my vRefs though.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/01/2016 07:20PM by spiffcow.
February 01, 2016 07:45PM
HEY GUYS, SO IV SORTED OUT 99% OF MY ISSUES IN MARLIN 1.1.0 RC3 TO THE POINT OF BEING ABLE TO PRINT... HOWEVER, YESTERDAY I WAS HAVING AN ISSUE WITH THE Z HEIGHT CHANGING ON ITS OWN ? I HAD IT SET AT 292.10MM THEN UPLOADED IT VIA ARDUINO IDE... WHEN IT HOMES IT SHOWS JUST THAT... BUT THEN I TELL IT G1 X0 Y0 Z10 F4800
IT COMES DOWN AND SLAMS THE BED... SO AFTER HOURS OF BANGING MY HEAD AGAINST THE WALL I FIGURED ID GO THRU IT ALL FROM THE BEGINNING ONLY TO FIND THAT MY Z HEIGHT WAS AT 340.90MM ??? MAKES NO SENSE.. I DIDNT CHANGE IT.. THEN I WENT BACK TO CHECK THE CONFIG.H FILE THRU NOTEPAD++ AND IT SAYS THE SAME DAMN THING... IM PERPLEXED, I DIDNT CHANGE IT TO THAT.. SO I RESET IT TO 292.10MM AND REUPLOADED... IT UPLOADS FINE.. I VERIFY THE NUMBER IS CORRECT IN THE CONFIG FILE.. AND ITS STILL AT 292.10MM... SO I USE PRONTERFACE TO SEND THE COMMAND AGAIN... G1 X0 Y0 Z10 F4800... IT COMES DOWN SLAMS THE BED AGAIN.. SO I CHECK THE STEPS PER REVOLUTION TO SEE IF ITS WRONG.. IT WASNT... 200 STEPS PER REV.. SO THRU PRONTER FACE I RUN A G501 AND GET BACK THAT MY Z HEIGHT IS SHOWING 446.27MM !!! IM LIKE WTF... SO I DO A COMPLETE EEPROM CLEAR... IT UPLOADS FINE.. WHEN I TURN OFF THE PRINTER AND TURN IT ON AGAIN ITS A BLANK SCREEN...THATS A GOOD THING... SO THEN I REUPLOAD THE MARLIN FILE...GOES FINE.. THEN I NOTICE WHEN PRONTERFACE RE-CONNECTS TO THE FIRMWARE, THE Z HEIGHT REPORTS CORRECT AT 292.10MM NOW...AGAIN WTF IS GOIN ON... SO NOW THAT ITS REPORTING RIGHT... I DECIDE TO HEAT UP THE NOZZLE TO CALIBRATE THE EMOTOR.. SET MY TEMP (210).. IT STARTS HEATING UP, GETS TO 199-200 AND SHUTS DOWN AND HARD REBOOTS THE PRINTER... IT NEVER DID THIS BEFORE.. I RAN A TEST PRINT BEFORE AND IT WORKED FINE... NOW ITS NOT WORKING AT ALL... I CHECKED THE THERMISTOR, ITS FINE.. I CHECKED THE HEATER CARTRIGE, ITS FINE.. I CHECKED WIRING.. ALL FINE.... SO IM THINKIN RAMPS BOARD OR FW...

THOUGHTS ???

Nophead Mendel90 Remixed in aluminum
Marlin v2.0
Matterhacker Control (latest)
Ramps 1.4
Sainsmart LCD
MK2B heatbed
E3dV6 hotend .4mm tip
1.75mm filaments
dedicated 12v33a psu
dedicated 12v5a laptop psu mod
February 01, 2016 09:59PM
Upon testing the vRef, I found that they were low, so I set them up properly again. The problem still persists though. Also, setting up the Z Probe offset, if it's behind the hotend and lined up with the Y tower, what would be put for the offset? So the probe is on the opposite side of the effector than the Y tower

Owner of a QUBD Two Up
And
Folger Kossel 2020
And
Tevo Tarantula
February 01, 2016 10:09PM
Captain_Tim
Upon testing the vRef, I found that they were low, so I set them up properly again. The problem still persists though. Also, setting up the Z Probe offset, if it's behind the hotend and lined up with the Y tower, what would be put for the offset? So the probe is on the opposite side of the effector than the Y tower

I had the same probe location and values were:
#define Z_PROBE_X_OFFSET -26
#define Z_PROBE_Y_OFFSET 16

Actually, it's easy to measure. Move the nozzle to X0 Y0 Z3 and mark the bed under the nozzle. Then move the center of probe over the marker and write down X/Y coordinates.

My [www.thingiverse.com] stuff, my configuration of Repetier 0.92.6: [forums.reprap.org] (use Arduino 1.6.5 to compile)
February 02, 2016 01:02AM
Hi,

after a long time, it's me again. :-)

the instruction PDF calls for three jumpers to be put on the RAMPS board. But ... where can I find those three jumpers? Inside which bag were they when you got your printers, people? Any photo available of the package they were in?

In case they are missing of what I got, what kind of jumpers are these (so I can hopefully purchase them somewhere)? Thanks.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/02/2016 01:02AM by Sven.L.
February 02, 2016 01:05AM
My RAMPS had all jumpers installed. If you don't have jumpers, just bend pins and solder them. Jumpers and shipping will cost like new RAMPS )

Sven.L
the instruction PDF calls for three jumpers to be put on the RAMPS board. But ... where can I find those three jumpers? Inside which bag were they when you got your printers, people? Any photo available of the package they were in?

In case they are missing of what I got, what kind of jumpers are these (so I can hopefully purchase them somewhere)? Thanks.

February 02, 2016 05:27AM
So it looks like my problem was the effector arm width. After putting in the new effector and a few iterations for the Escher 3D delta wizard I have 0.2 mm difference across the print bed before Z correction, a near perfect height map, and much cleaner movement. And as an added bonus, I can swap between a probe and a print head in the exact same location, meaning my offset issues are largely mitigated. Unfortunately I also lost ~10mm on my print radius with the smaller effector.. But it's worth it if I actually get good prints.

Now, to actually print something...
February 02, 2016 09:35AM
Thanks, Paul Delta. Is this the case with everyone: that the jumpers were already mounted on the RAMP board when receiving the printer set? Can that be confirmed?

Or are there people who had to mount the jumpers on their own? In this case, where were the jumpers when you received your printer set?
February 02, 2016 09:56AM
Sven.L
Thanks, Paul Delta. Is this the case with everyone: that the jumpers were already mounted on the RAMP board when receiving the printer set? Can that be confirmed?

Or are there people who had to mount the jumpers on their own? In this case, where were the jumpers when you received your printer set?

The jumpers were already installed on my RAMPS board when I received it.

Mike
February 02, 2016 10:07AM
Mine were already installed and the shield was already mounted as well.

Sven.L

February 02, 2016 10:11AM
Just for information, here is my measurement of standard FT effector and carriage using provided STL files.
The mount with must be 40mm for both - the effector and carriage.

spiffcow
So it looks like my problem was the effector arm width. After putting in the new effector and a few iterations for the Escher 3D delta wizard I have 0.2 mm difference across the print bed before Z correction, a near perfect height map, and much cleaner movement. And as an added bonus, I can swap between a probe and a print head in the exact same location, meaning my offset issues are largely mitigated. Unfortunately I also lost ~10mm on my print radius with the smaller effector.. But it's worth it if I actually get good prints.

February 02, 2016 10:45AM
The carriages were 40mm exactly, but the effector was about 42mm. *So* much better with a correctly sized effector!

paul_delta
Just for information, here is my measurement of standard FT effector and carriage using provided STL files.
The mount with must be 40mm for both - the effector and carriage.

[attachment 71488 FT-Kossel-effector-carriage.jpg]

spiffcow

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/02/2016 11:23AM by spiffcow.
February 02, 2016 02:18PM
I've just installed 0.92.8 and yes - it has problems with G32. G30 works perfect - after homing it goes to z-probe height + z-probe bed distance and initiates measurement procedure. But with G32 my probe hits the bed. Going to investigate this issue.

paul_delta
I've just tested it with 0.92.6 - G28 and then G32 works OK and it takes care about my z-probe
I'll check it later with 92.8.

February 02, 2016 02:36PM
Hi,

I think, there are really some jumpers missing on my RAMP board, please have a look at my photos and verify that, if I am correct. My apologies for the poor quality of these photos, my mobile phone camera just cannot do better photos at close distance.

While most jumpers are in place, one of the jumpers at the bottom seems to be missing (green circle), and a triple jumper in the callout on the top right connecting the 5V and VCC pins (this is for the auto level servo) seems to be missing, too. Can you verify this?

I purchased these silver-golden interconnected hollow "needles" that I can use as jumper, so the shop keeper (an electronic shop) told me. Is that correct? I mounted a connected pair already where one jumper seems to be missing. Could that work? And should I go ahead and mount a connected triple of them to that "auto level servo" triple jumper slot, too? Or a double (which of the three pins then in that case)?

I need this advise, because I don't want to do anything wrong due unknowledgement. Thanks again.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 02/02/2016 02:40PM by Sven.L.
February 02, 2016 02:46PM
Sven,

I had the exact same problem with my board: one jumper missing. Yours is missing from the E0 (extruder motor) driver which you definitely need. I can't clearly see what you've done to replace it, but you should be able to just nab one from next door (the E1 set) since you're only using one extruder with this kit. The other three sets of three are for the X, Y and Z axis.

Those pins you got are so tall that I'm concerned you're going to plug in the drivers again and short them out.

Sven.L
Hi,

I think, there are really some jumpers missing on my RAMP board, please have a look at my photos and verify that, if I am correct. My apologies for the poor quality of these photos, my mobile phone camera just cannot do better photos at close distance.

While most jumpers are in place, one of the jumpers at the bottom seems to be missing (green circle), and a triple jumper in the callout on the top right connecting the 5V and VCC pins (this is for the auto level servo) seems to be missing, too. Can you verify this?

I purchased these silver-golden interconnected hollow "needles" that I can use as jumper, so the shop keeper (an electronic shop) told me. Is that correct? I mounted a connected pair already where one jumper seems to be missing. Could that work? And should I go ahead and mount a connected triple of them to that "auto level servo" triple jumper slot, too? Or a double (which of the three pins then in that case)?

I need this advise, because I don't want to do anything wrong due unknowledgement. Thanks again.

[attachment 71513 Photo7456.jpg]
[attachment 71514 Photo7457.jpg]
[attachment 71515 Photo7458.jpg]
[attachment 71516 Photo7459.jpg]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/02/2016 02:50PM by Legrand.
February 02, 2016 02:50PM
For default FT configuration you need only 4 drivers. So, you can take jumpers from unused driver that serves second extruder E1.

Sven.L
Hi,

[attachment 71513 Photo7456.jpg]
[attachment 71514 Photo7457.jpg]
[attachment 71515 Photo7458.jpg]
[attachment 71516 Photo7459.jpg]

February 02, 2016 03:50PM
Okay, thanks for the good advises and explanations.

As you can see, I now moved the jumper from unnecessary extruder E1 to the missing slot of extruder E0. that should be correct now, right?

But the instructions (page 23 of the PDF: the "note") also tell me to mount a jumper for the triple slot of the auto level servo. Am I correct? The board does not have any jumper installed, nor seems to be there a triple jumper that connects to the pins 1, 2, and 3.

Or must I use a double jumper like for the extruder E0? If so, which of the three pins are to be connected: 1 and 2, or 2 and 3?

February 02, 2016 03:54PM
Sven.L
But the instructions (page 23 of the PDF: the "note") also tell me to mount a jumper for the triple slot of the auto level servo.
[attachment 71524 Photo7460.jpg]

Do you have a kit that has a servo for the Z Probe? if you don't, then you don't need to worry about that part.

Owner of a QUBD Two Up
And
Folger Kossel 2020
And
Tevo Tarantula
February 02, 2016 04:05PM
Are you using Rev.B manual from here : [drive.google.com] ?

Sven.L
Okay, thanks for the good advises and explanations.

As you can see, I now moved the jumper from unnecessary extruder E1 to the missing slot of extruder E0. that should be correct now, right?

But the instructions (page 23 of the PDF: the "note") also tell me to mount a jumper for the triple slot of the auto level servo. Am I correct? The board does not have any jumper installed, nor seems to be there a triple jumper that connects to the pins 1, 2, and 3.

Or must I use a double jumper like for the extruder E0? If so, which of the three pins are to be connected: 1 and 2, or 2 and 3?

[attachment 71524 Photo7460.jpg]

February 02, 2016 04:20PM
Thanks for checking on it! I'd say hopefully they fix it soon, but honestly I almost hope they don't, as it gives me a reason to start digging into the firmware at a really accessible level..

paul_delta
I've just installed 0.92.8 and yes - it has problems with G32. G30 works perfect - after homing it goes to z-probe height + z-probe bed distance and initiates measurement procedure. But with G32 my probe hits the bed. Going to investigate this issue.

paul_delta
I've just tested it with 0.92.6 - G28 and then G32 works OK and it takes care about my z-probe
February 02, 2016 04:24PM
I just know, that I downloaded it from the so-called "Google Drive" on 31. July 2015, and that it was the latest version then.

When checking the manual you are mentioning, I am seeing that it shows metal parts where my own printer (Kossel) has black plastic parts. My own manual shows black plastic parts, too.

But besides, no, my kit seems to be without that Z servo. The mentioning in the instructions irritated me. Alright, so I don't need there any jumper.

Side question 1: what is the price for getting such an auto level Z servo? Any URL?

Side question 2: if extruder E1 is not existing, I don't need to mount a small green stepper driver board on top of its slot, right? Or do I have to?

Edited 6 time(s). Last edit at 02/02/2016 04:43PM by Sven.L.
February 02, 2016 04:34PM
I think I see the problem:
#define ZHOME_HEAT_HEIGHT 20

In new version there is a feature that allows to preheat the hot end before measurements. And for that it goes to Z20, so if the probe is very low, like in our case - we have a problem.

spiffcow
Thanks for checking on it! I'd say hopefully they fix it soon, but honestly I almost hope they don't, as it gives me a reason to start digging into the firmware at a really accessible level..

paul_delta

paul_delta

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/02/2016 04:56PM by paul_delta.

February 02, 2016 04:37PM
Yes, it is. I've just changed it to 120 and now it works smiling smiley

#define ZHOME_HEAT_HEIGHT 120

Here is my post on repetier forum regarding this issue:
[forum.repetier.com]

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 02/02/2016 04:57PM by paul_delta.

February 02, 2016 04:59PM
I think 0.92.8 is too buggy, a lot of new features that must be polished.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/02/2016 04:59PM by paul_delta.

February 02, 2016 05:30PM
Ah.. I guess that makes sense? Honestly I don't see why you would heat the hot end before measuring. Heating the bed would make a lot more since, considering that it's a.) something you can measure with G32, and b.) something likely to expand significantly.

Thanks for finding that out!

I think they still have a bug there -- it should drop to max(ZHOME_HEAT_HEIGHT, Z_PROBE_HEIGHT + Z_PROBE_DISTANCE) or something along those lines.

paul_delta
Yes, it is. I've just changed it to 120 and now it works smiling smiley

#define ZHOME_HEAT_HEIGHT 120

Here is my post on repetier forum regarding this issue:
[forum.repetier.com]
February 02, 2016 05:36PM
spiffcow
Ah.. I guess that makes sense? Honestly I don't see why you would heat the hot end before measuring. Heating the bed would make a lot more since, considering that it's a.) something you can measure with G32, and b.) something likely to expand significantly.

It makes sense for hot end nozzle as a probe - for FSR bed leveling.

February 02, 2016 05:44PM
Just now looked FSR probing.. That's pretty cool! Certainly looks like it would solve the probe offset issue and also let you use a different bed surface.

paul_delta
spiffcow

It makes sense for hot end nozzle as a probe - for FSR bed leveling.
February 02, 2016 05:49PM
spiffcow
Just now looked FSR probing.. That's pretty cool! Certainly looks like it would solve the probe offset issue and also let you use a different bed surface.

But AFAIK, there could be issues with heated bed because FSR is heat-sensitive.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login