Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Layer shift problem during print

Posted by rossfree 
Layer shift problem during print
December 22, 2014 09:03AM
GRRRrrrrrr!

My printer is printing ABS beautifully... until about an hour in, when it shifts maybe one tooth over and keeps going. It always seems to be an hour in or so. That makes me wonder if it's heat related on one of the motors or weather the timing belts are slipping a tooth.

My belts are not loose but I can still tighten them. I have a smooth delrin pulley that is used to tighten the belt. It's a very clean design. But the pulley is on a pin and not ball bearings. So I'm leery about putting too much force on the pulley.

Is this a common problem for others?

Ross

You don't need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.
Re: Layer shift problem during print
December 22, 2014 09:57AM
I doubt its the derling pulley. I bet its the pulley on the shaft of the motor. I would take a rotary tool and grind a flat spot on the shaft of the motors then simply tighten the pulley making sure the set screw is bottoming out on the flat shaft. Also take a marker and mark a line on the pulley and shaft. That will keep track if it has moved at all. I had a similar problem with my printer, its most likely due to the different expansion rates between the shaft (steel) and pulley (Aluminum)...

Either that or you have a binding spot on your delta. Try to print vertically and see where that leads.

My Personal Blog. Build blog.
[engineerd3d.ddns.net]

Modicum V1 sold on e-bay user jaguarking11
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login