Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

My Delta Printer Design

Posted by MrBaz 
My Delta Printer Design
December 22, 2014 06:36PM
I realized I posted this earlier in the wrong place for some constructive criticism.

Here is my Delta printer: [www.thingiverse.com]
Re: My Delta Printer Design
December 23, 2014 02:53AM
Hi Baz

Your design looks good. What are you using for the tower carriages? V wheels?

Andy
December 23, 2014 06:09AM
AndyCart
Hi Baz

Your design looks good. What are you using for the tower carriages? V wheels?

Andy

Looks to me like he has HWIN Style linear rail and carriages on there if so they are expensive.
December 23, 2014 10:01AM
HIWIN linear rail for linear motion is correct. Cheapest place to purchase them is aliexpress. Much cheaper than you would think. I have the BOM listed under the files you can download.
For what you get, the price is worth it.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/23/2014 10:02AM by MrBaz.
December 23, 2014 12:46PM
So is your design the effector and the carriages? It looks like a Kossel mini derivative.
December 24, 2014 01:57AM
3DRapidClone
So is your design the effector and the carriages? It looks like a Kossel mini derivative.

Good eye. Even though you probably won't believe me, I've been designing this since just after the first Kossel was released. I had already spec'd out the HIWIN railing before the mini was announced. My original source was very cheap, but they are now all out of stock. I had also already designed a single-piece corner bracket. I'm also using much beefier extrusions(25.4mm vs 15mm). Some ideas inspired from the Berrybot. This printer has a 14" build plate and a 24" build height.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/24/2014 10:07AM by MrBaz.
December 25, 2014 07:06PM
Nice design but as you say the hiwin bearings are expensive. In my build the intitial design was with 15mm hiwin's as I use there products lots in automation projects and they work extremely well but after costing everything converted over to twin 12mm hardened chrome rods per upright and LM12LUU bearings. Maybe my next printer will use the hiwins but that will depend on finding a cheaper source or snagging some off fleabay

My delta build blogspot [d3delta3d.blogspot.com.au]

Custom Delta printer
300x500 build volume
magnetic effector
Smoothieboard controlled
December 25, 2014 10:58PM
d3delta3d
Nice design but as you say the hiwin bearings are expensive. In my build the intitial design was with 15mm hiwin's as I use there products lots in automation projects and they work extremely well but after costing everything converted over to twin 12mm hardened chrome rods per upright and LM12LUU bearings. Maybe my next printer will use the hiwins but that will depend on finding a cheaper source or snagging some off fleabay

Comparatively, the linear rails are the most expensive way to go. The cheapest I found was an overstock place that, surprise!, no longer has stock. Next cheapest is AliExpress. I wanted something that would add rigidity to the frame, still be extremely accurate, not as loud as rod bearings, and simple easy on the maintenance. I guess the expense was justified to me. It kept design pretty easy too!
December 26, 2014 07:01PM
MrBaz
Comparatively, the linear rails are the most expensive way to go. The cheapest I found was an overstock place that, surprise!, no longer has stock. Next cheapest is AliExpress. I wanted something that would add rigidity to the frame, still be extremely accurate, not as loud as rod bearings, and simple easy on the maintenance. I guess the expense was justified to me. It kept design pretty easy too!

Couldn't agree more on rigidity, simplicity and quietness. Hope you can find the funds soon. Frustrating getting so far and not being able to complete the project

My delta build blogspot [d3delta3d.blogspot.com.au]

Custom Delta printer
300x500 build volume
magnetic effector
Smoothieboard controlled
December 28, 2014 12:33AM
d3delta3d
MrBaz

Couldn't agree more on rigidity, simplicity and quietness. Hope you can find the funds soon. Frustrating getting so far and not being able to complete the project

Tell me about it! sad smiley
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login