Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Enclosed Delta?

Posted by vimau 
Enclosed Delta?
February 01, 2015 01:55AM
I've been looking to replace a boxed (cardboard boxed) i3 with something that allows for an enclosed build area while keeping the motors/electronics outside (in order to keep them cool)

It seems to me that this could be most easily/elegantly achieved with a delta, but I've not been able to find any examples.

There was mention of an enclosed build area somewhere related to the Kossel Pro, but they seem to have abandoned the idea.

Has anyone tried this?
Re: Enclosed Delta?
February 01, 2015 06:28AM
See the Building my Delta Printer article in the blog from Andreas Hölldorfer.

P.S.: Also take a look at his current 3D printable Robot Arm project.

Bob Morrison
Wörth am Rhein, Germany
"Luke, use the source!"
BLOG - PHOTOS - Thingiverse
February 01, 2015 09:35PM
Brad Hopper's HotBot was designed to be easily enclosed:

https://groups.google.com/forum/?fromgroups=#!topic/deltabot/xsK_v-7lE9I%5B151-175-false%5D

https://www.reddit.com/r/3Dprinting/comments/2rzjwc/misumi_usa_contest/

The gotcha is that it is based on Misumi 60-degree extrusions. There are Misumi sales offices all over the world, but the offices in some regions (Europe for one) are strict about only selling to legitimate businesses and not the general public. Misumi USA will gladly sell to people in North America, and is even running the above contest to encourage RepRap projects by individuals.

I just ordered all of the Misumi stuff needed to build the HotBot2 frame from the contest above, and it will be delivered on Tuesday. (I have all of the other stuff to recycle from earlier printers.) I have been fighting with severe ABS warping for a while now, and wanted to build a new delta that's sturdy, big, and enclosed.....
February 02, 2015 01:03AM
vimau
I've been looking to replace a boxed (cardboard boxed) i3 with something that allows for an enclosed build area while keeping the motors/electronics outside (in order to keep them cool)

It seems to me that this could be most easily/elegantly achieved with a delta, but I've not been able to find any examples.

There was mention of an enclosed build area somewhere related to the Kossel Pro, but they seem to have abandoned the idea.

Has anyone tried this?

My enclosed delta.
[forums.reprap.org]
More pictures here [deltaprinter.co.za]

You only learn when you change your mind.
[www.deltaprinter.co.za]
February 03, 2015 06:55AM
My Delta is nearly finished and will also be enclosed. I will probably go down the polycarbonate sheet route. The great part with polycarbonate is you can either cold bend it in a sheet metal folder or lay down 2 pieces of wood leaving a small gap between them where the fold will be, heat the exposed area between the wood planks with a heat gun until soft then bend the polycarbonate to the desired angle.

My delta build blogspot [d3delta3d.blogspot.com.au]

Custom Delta printer
300x500 build volume
magnetic effector
Smoothieboard controlled
February 03, 2015 10:14AM
I am also enclosing my delta. The main thing is to try to keep as many plastic parts out of the printer. Do not use PLA printed parts inside the enclosure. I tested ABS with 80c water and it did not warp or soften. I also am putting in a 150w air heater to set the chamber to the desired temp, between 50-70c is the goal. I am going to use sheet aluminum with cork insulation on the inside. One thing I think we need to keep in mind is the ventilation after a print is done. A concentrated atmosphere of gasses should be filtered and evacuated before the printer finishes. I am planning on using a blower fan and a carbon filter to evacuate the heat as well as the fumes if the fumes still persist I will use a flex hose mounted to an atmospheric exhaust.

My Personal Blog. Build blog.
[engineerd3d.ddns.net]

Modicum V1 sold on e-bay user jaguarking11
February 03, 2015 03:42PM
jaguarking11
I am also enclosing my delta. The main thing is to try to keep as many plastic parts out of the printer. Do not use PLA printed parts inside the enclosure. I tested ABS with 80c water and it did not warp or soften. I also am putting in a 150w air heater to set the chamber to the desired temp, between 50-70c is the goal. I am going to use sheet aluminum with cork insulation on the inside. One thing I think we need to keep in mind is the ventilation after a print is done. A concentrated atmosphere of gasses should be filtered and evacuated before the printer finishes. I am planning on using a blower fan and a carbon filter to evacuate the heat as well as the fumes if the fumes still persist I will use a flex hose mounted to an atmospheric exhaust.

Same as myself. I am going to run a gcode at the end of the print to start an exhaust fan going to the atmosphere to remove odors. For very long prints it could also coded to turn on at specific layers but in this case as the exhaust comes on the chamber heater will also come on ensure no heat is also removed from the chamber.

I also made my extruder to have the bowden tube go all the way into the heater block so the filament will not melt of gag before the melt chamber . I tested this by running the hotend without the cooling fan on a 2 hour print with ABS and had no issues. .

My delta build blogspot [d3delta3d.blogspot.com.au]

Custom Delta printer
300x500 build volume
magnetic effector
Smoothieboard controlled
February 09, 2015 09:14PM
Hey guys, last few hours tonight to vote in the Misumi/Reddit contest. Go vote for your favorite BOM!

[www.reddit.com]
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login