Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

RichRap 3DR build - Electronics problem - SOLVED

Posted by zitman 
RichRap 3DR build - Electronics problem - SOLVED
February 24, 2015 04:09PM
Hi All,

Mechanically I am progressing well but I have just connected my RAMPS board to the Mega and added the RepRap Discount Full Graphic Smart Controller. The LCD panel is not working.

This is the board:

And this is what it looks like when powered:

As suggested elsewhere on the forum I put #include at the top of configuration.h

Nothing else is connected to the board other than the stepper drivers.,

I have tried this with both the latest Marlin and the RichRap version.

Help please!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/26/2015 01:05AM by zitman.
Re: RichRap 3DR build - Electronics problem
February 24, 2015 05:09PM
For what it's worth, I wouldn't bother running it with an LCD. The reason being that the Arduino is already stretched to its limit with delta kinematics, and introducing a fancy screen like this bogs it down. I ran mine with the same screen but had problems with the printer pausing and stuttering so I ditched it. If you want to run a screen, you'll need to move to a 32-bit board.

But, if you still want to get it running anyway, make sure you have installed U8glib to your Arduino library folder, and comment in #define REPRAP_DISCOUNT_FULL_GRAPHIC_SMART_CONTROLLER line. And, if I recall correctly, it turns out that the breakout board has the labels wrong for each lead. I seem to recall needing to swap them over or something... Not sure what you mean by putting #include at the top of configuration.h file either... what are you including exactly?
February 25, 2015 01:29AM
Thanks for the reply. I read on another post to put the folowing at the top of configuration.h: #include "U8glib.h" which made no difference. The U8glib is installed. Will try swapping the leads this evening.

Understand what you mean about the display affecting performance but I have it now and would like to get it working at least for now, I can always ditch it and use a Raspberry Pi using OctoPi as I do on my Prusa i3.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/25/2015 03:37AM by zitman.
February 25, 2015 03:36AM
I have tried swapping the connections around on the adapter board and the screen is now completely blank.

Any more thoughts or suggestions anyone?
February 25, 2015 03:41AM
Have you tried adjusting the contrast potentiometer?

Large delta printer [miscsolutions.wordpress.com], E3D tool changer, Robotdigg SCARA printer, Crane Quad and Ormerod

Disclosure: I design Duet electronics and work on RepRapFirmware, [duet3d.com].
February 25, 2015 05:24AM
Oh yes. Other changing the contrast of course, nothing useful happened.
February 25, 2015 04:30PM
Thanks guys for the assistance. Its working now, the problem was a PEBKAC (Problem Exists Between Keyboard And Chair).

I had set the appropriate elements in configuration.h for the LCD but not for the mpotherboard! What a dummy.

So once again thanks and on to the next crisis :spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

Z
March 18, 2015 10:00AM
I have the same problem with that LCD.
So what did you change in the motherboard?
Are you talking about the RAMPS model? 33, 34....
Thanks
March 19, 2015 12:39PM
HI Pablo,

Yes it was the motherboard setting but it did not work when I changed it to a numeric value I ended up using the following:
  #define MOTHERBOARD BOARD_RAMPS_13_EFB

Hope that helps,

Z
March 19, 2015 12:48PM
zitman
HI Pablo,

Yes it was the motherboard setting but it did not work when I changed it to a numeric value I ended up using the following:
  #define MOTHERBOARD BOARD_RAMPS_13_EFB

Hope that helps,

Z
OK, thank you very much, I'll try that, but what model of RAMPS are you using? (mine is 33, so RAMPS 1.3 / 1.4 (Power outputs: Extruder, Fan, Bed)
March 27, 2015 05:08AM
Sorry for the delay in replying. Yes #define MOTHERBOARD BOARD_RAMPS_13_EFB is defined in boards.h as 33. One thing I did find though was when I tried #define MOTHERBOARD 33 it didn't work!

Z
March 27, 2015 11:18AM
zitman
Sorry for the delay in replying. Yes #define MOTHERBOARD BOARD_RAMPS_13_EFB is defined in boards.h as 33. One thing I did find though was when I tried #define MOTHERBOARD 33 it didn't work!

Z
Ok thanks. I've tried that too, but no result.... the smart full graphic controller is not working.... tried everything but .... blue backlightlight only....
Any other suggestion??
March 27, 2015 02:07PM
pabloevaristo
zitman

Z
Ok thanks. I've tried that too, but no result.... the smart full graphic controller is not working.... tried everything but .... blue backlightlight only....
Any other suggestion??
Have you installed the correct library in arduino ...u8glib ?????
Google search is your freind
March 27, 2015 02:40PM
bigfilsing
pabloevaristo
zitman

Z
Any other suggestion??

Have you installed the correct library in arduino ...u8glib ?????
Yes, I've seen all tutorials out, search over the web, followed all the steps....
bigfilsing
Google search is your freind
Thanks friend, but neither google knows
March 27, 2015 11:12PM
Cables the right way round ??

Contrast pot adjustment on the back of the board

If i remember rightly there's a contrast setting in Marlin as well somewhere but ive never had to deal with it. Might be worth verifying as well
March 27, 2015 11:45PM
bigfilsing
Cables the right way round ??

Contrast pot adjustment on the back of the board

If i remember rightly there's a contrast setting in Marlin as well somewhere but ive never had to deal with it. Might be worth verifying as well
no pot in the back of my smart lcd (red pcb version ), there's only one in the front, but checked and nothing. I'll look for the contrast in Marlin.
thx
Re: RichRap 3DR build - Electronics problem - SOLVED
March 28, 2015 12:01AM
Well if all the usual things check out then it may be you have a bad screen. Its unlikely thou as they are normally pretty bullet proof

There have been cases that solder points between the 2 boards that make up the LCD are very close and could short out.

If you watch this tutorial you will note he puts kapton tape inbetween to be safe. Its a long shot but i think worth checking
look at 2 min 12 sec
[www.youtube.com]

Good luck
April 03, 2015 04:13PM
Double check with the uncomented line where you do theat to enable the LCD controller
I had that blue screen and in the end the line that I uncomented was the wrong one!
Good luck!
April 04, 2015 05:22PM
Problems with my 'full graphic smart controller'. I've tried everything, I think I'm getting close but still not working.
This is my compile error: "" Configuration.h:6:20: fatal error: U8glib.h: No such file or directory
#include "U8glib.h" "" I have put this file everywhere I can think of but it still can't find it. HELP
(also I have tried it with out the quotation)
Re: RichRap 3DR build - Electronics problem - SOLVED
April 04, 2015 05:40PM
If I recall correctly I had a problem with my include and ended up extracting the u8glib library into the C:\Program Files (x86)\Arduino\libraries folder than using Skecth|Import library which sorted it.

Z
April 04, 2015 09:11PM
gregfuji
Problems with my 'full graphic smart controller'. I've tried everything, I think I'm getting close but still not working.
This is my compile error: "" Configuration.h:6:20: fatal error: U8glib.h: No such file or directory
#include "U8glib.h" "" I have put this file everywhere I can think of but it still can't find it. HELP
you don't have to include the u8glib, that's already done in the code. Only import the library.
April 05, 2015 01:17AM
gregfuji

SO go back and remove the all the references to U8glib you have put in
Then move the U8glib zip file to somewhere in the Arduino directory ( most people put it in the Library sub directory)

Open Arduino . Click the ":sketch" tab then "Import Library" top of the drop drop down menu should be "add library" click that then in the dialog box navigate to the U8glib zip file and select it.
You dont need to unzip it first.

As mentioned FULL graphics controllers don't play nice with Deltas so i think your wasting your time to be honest

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/05/2015 01:19AM by bigfilsing.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login