Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

A little tool to help assemble Traxxas 5347 ball joints

Posted by AndrewBCN 
A little tool to help assemble Traxxas 5347 ball joints
February 27, 2015 10:00PM
Hi,
I am posting this here in case somebody is assembling a Delta 3D printer that uses Traxxas 5347 ball joints and needs a simple way to put them together.
I designed this little tool that makes inserting the steel ball in the connector literally a snap:
More info on Thingiverse [www.thingiverse.com]
Comments and constructive criticism welcome.
Cheers,
Andrew
Re: A little tool to help assemble Traxxas 5347 ball joints
March 01, 2015 04:02PM
Handy tool smiling smiley I find that if you pop the balls in the freezer and the plastic bits in hot water before assembling they go together much easier than they would otherwise - just like pistons and gudgeon pins!
March 01, 2015 07:27PM
iira
Handy tool smiling smiley I find that if you pop the balls in the freezer and the plastic bits in hot water before assembling they go together much easier than they would otherwise - just like pistons and gudgeon pins!

Hi,

Thanks! If you check the OpenSCAD source code for the tool you'll find that this hot/cold tip is already in there, along with the tip to add some grease/oil before pressing the ball in the connector.

Cheers,

Andrew
March 01, 2015 09:27PM
Ah ha! I hadn't checked the OpenSCAD file. I think I'll print one of these tonight, I'm making some new rods soon and haven't assembled the joints. It's also given me a great starting point to make a press for the bearings in V-Wheels smiling smiley I'll report back once I've printed and tested it.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/01/2015 09:27PM by iira.
March 02, 2015 05:24AM
iira
It's also given me a great starting point to make a press for the bearings in V-Wheels smiling smiley

FWIW, I just use the included axle bolt to hold the bearing while I push the wheel over it.....
March 02, 2015 07:58AM
I made a small change in the OpenSCAD source but have not uploaded it yet to Thingiverse, I am attaching the file just in case. This is to prevent the ball from going through the connector altogether when it is pressed in place.
Attachments:
open | download - traxxas5347_tool_1a.scad (1.6 KB)
March 02, 2015 08:02AM
iira
Ah ha! I hadn't checked the OpenSCAD file. I think I'll print one of these tonight, I'm making some new rods soon and haven't assembled the joints. It's also given me a great starting point to make a press for the bearings in V-Wheels smiling smiley I'll report back once I've printed and tested it.

Hi,
If you don't mind, when/if you modify my OpenSCAD source, please could you keep the original attribution and GPLV3 license?
Thanks a bunch!
Andrew
March 05, 2015 08:17AM
Nice holding tool, but are you aware that the opening is larger on one side? which makes it easier to put together.
Heating and freezing often improves the ease of fit
March 05, 2015 10:15AM
Bixx
Nice holding tool, but are you aware that the opening is larger on one side? which makes it easier to put together.
Heating and freezing often improves the ease of fit

And if you put them together wrongly you stretch the plastic which causes slop/play in the joint!!!
Just go to your local RC shop and buy some ball link pliers they're cheap and effective. Used them for years on RC heli swash plates. I think a lot of the RC car guys use them as well

[www.ebay.com]

[www.hobbyking.com]

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 03/05/2015 10:16AM by bigfilsing.
March 05, 2015 10:36AM
Have you noticed that Hobbyking now do ESUN Filament at ridiculously low prices

Doug
March 05, 2015 10:29PM
dougal1957

Doug
Yup very tempted to order some and try it out. At those prices im not expecting wonders but hobby king usually have some reasonable stuff...lets see

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/05/2015 10:29PM by bigfilsing.
March 06, 2015 05:03AM
bigfilsing
dougal1957

Doug
Yup very tempted to order some and try it out. At those prices im not expecting wonders but hobby king usually have some reasonable stuff...lets see

No the ESUN stuff is excellent have gone thru about 3kG of it so far and have about 12 ready to go it is very consistent and good Quality.

Shame that HK don't do the PETG yet as that is very good and easy to use low bed heat with ABS type extrusion temps.

Doug
March 06, 2015 07:41AM
dougal1957
bigfilsing
dougal1957

Doug

No the ESUN stuff is excellent have gone thru about 3kG of it so far and have about 12 ready to go it is very consistent and good Quality.

Shame that HK don't do the PETG yet as that is very good and easy to use low bed heat with ABS type extrusion temps.

Doug
Great news cos ive just ordered some
March 06, 2015 07:49AM
back on topic
If you feel the Traxxas ball links arent sturdy enough you may want to try Dubro Monster 3mm ball links. Where i live they arent cheap ( approx 42 US$ for a pack of 12) but ive used these for many years on helis and other than full metal rod ends they are about as good as it gets

[shop.dubro.com]
March 06, 2015 06:19PM
Every time that alternatives for the Traxxs joints are discussed, their limited range of motion always rules them out. What are the specs on these?????

bigfilsing
back on topic
If you feel the Traxxas ball links arent sturdy enough you may want to try Dubro Monster 3mm ball links. Where i live they arent cheap ( approx 42 US$ for a pack of 12) but ive used these for many years on helis and other than full metal rod ends they are about as good as it gets

[shop.dubro.com]
March 08, 2015 01:29AM
Doesn't shipping kill the savings on the filament?
March 08, 2015 04:19AM
Kurzaa
Doesn't shipping kill the savings on the filament?

Depends on the warehouse you order it from here in the uk the filament is approx. £11 and shipping is around £6 total so if you order enough the shipping becomes negligible I would say that even for 1 roll it still worth it but I tend to get at least 3 at a time.

They certainly have it in the Global,Europe and UK Warehouse's so I'm guessing the US one will have it as well you just have to make sure you order from the most cost effective one.

Doug.
June 14, 2016 12:27PM
Ok. I was lazy and not willing to wait for a print grinning smiley . So i've done it with what was within the reach of my hands. Enjoy
[www.youtube.com]
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login