Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Kossel Extruder Motor: I presume it's blown? Best Alternative?

Posted by Dark Skunk 
Re: Kossel Extruder Motor: I presume it's blown? Best Alternative?
March 27, 2015 08:29PM
http://reprap.org/wiki/File:Rampswire14.svg winking smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/27/2015 08:30PM by vreihen.
March 27, 2015 11:21PM
Strange.
when you power on and connect in pronter face do you get a temp reading from the bed ? ( is the thermisistor working)

You could always load the test sketch again to make sure the bed LED is working ( dont forget to disconnect your steppers or they will crash into the frame probably)
Im not sure if the test program actually applies power to the bed ...ill check and get back to you
March 27, 2015 11:42PM
just tried the test sketch and it does pulse the heated bed. Its quite a short pulse so dont expect to measure exactly 12VDC on the output ( depends how fast your multimeter is)
after running the sketch for 2 mins i had an 8degC rise in bed temp.
so i think trying this would quickly differentiate between a firmware or a hardware issue

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/27/2015 11:43PM by bigfilsing.
March 28, 2015 07:34AM
Heated bed is fixed.

I never connected the second set of leads from the PSU to the board (11amp side). I just didn't find or notice any documentation on that. I was wondering what that input was for.

I'm in pretty good shape now. This is what i'm working on.

1. I re-calibrated the x, y. It's good now.
2. I'm working on z. I'm running about 10.6mm for input of 10 (actual print size difference).
3. I am having an issue where the print head pre-heats prior to printing right in the middle of the bed. When this happens it tends to leak some filament in the middle of the plate in the way of my print. I'm guessing that is a setting in Slic3r. I'll have to look into that.
4. Now that my x, y, is recalibrated. My auto leveling system won't touch down in 1 corner of the plate. I haven't figured that out yet but it's printing ok.
5. I think that's it. Get a few more calibration prints, ....and then learn how to use CAD again. It's been a while... I think I will try that AutoCAD Spark thing.

NOTE: In relation to the electronics: I did by a relatively inexpensive package from Sintron off Amazon. I think it was under $60 shipped. I'm pretty happy with that. It came in a professional package, with both boards, a usb cable and 5 steppers. Jumpers were already installed. I figured I would give them the plug...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/28/2015 07:45AM by Dark Skunk.
March 28, 2015 09:05AM
Dark Skunk
NOTE: In relation to the electronics: I did by a relatively inexpensive package from Sintron off Amazon. I think it was under $60 shipped. I'm pretty happy with that. It came in a professional package, with both boards, a usb cable and 5 steppers. Jumpers were already installed. I figured I would give them the plug...

Speaking of plugs for Sintron, you might want to check this review out before you power your printer up again:

http://www.amazon.com/review/RFM2K7BOF7ABJ/ref=cm_cr_dp_title?ie=UTF8&ASIN=B00K7P9Y46&channel=detail-glance&nodeID=16310091&store=industrial

I don't know if it was caused by SIntron using too small of a plug/connector at the power inputs, or if this was caused by the user not tightening the power wire screws down and checking them every few days to make sure they didn't become loose. (Has happened before on RAMPS boards.) Just something to keep an eye on.....
March 28, 2015 10:52AM
I will keep an eye on that the bursting into flames concern with the Sintron... Thank you.

Here are my issues currently:

1. I am moving to the heated bed. It's struggling to get the bed up to temp. Interestingly I started with a target of 70 and it made it to 67 then really struggled to get to 70. I lowered to 63 to reduce the ramp time and it made it to 60 and then really slowed down. I'm at 63 as I write but the machine has not started printing yet. Not sure why it's struggling to get to a temp (I do presume it's waiting for 64 prior to printing perhaps). This seems odd to me.
2. I cannot get my auto level to execute anymore. The bad is pretty damn level. The x0, y0, z0 just fit a medium grade paper. It won't touch down in a few areas. Not sure why just yet.
3. With slic3r, does the bed heat before executing g28? I was surprised it just started heating without homing. It was homing fine prior to turning on the heat bed in slic3r.
March 28, 2015 11:23AM
I didn't want to pollute the thread for those searching so I moved my heat bed questions to another thread.

[forums.reprap.org]

Thank you all for the help with the extruder, that is running like a champ now.
March 28, 2015 11:23AM
For the heated bed you may want to try PID auto tune

With the machine cold ( at room temp)
Power on
In pronterface console issue the command
M303 E-1 C3 S70

This will heat the bed to 70 deg and let it cool off 3 times ( might take a while ) when done it will give you some optimised PID values that you then put in you config.h file

You can also do the auto calibrate for the hot end ( but not at the same time)
M303 E0 S200 C3
The number after the letter C denotes the number of times it cycles the test (the S number being the temp). More is better but i've found that 3 gives reasonable results in a reasonable amount of time

I have little experience with ABL so i cant really help there

Good luck

PS As a by note now you have just connected the 11amp power !! Its all over the wiki page ...surely youve read that !!! If you havent ...you should [reprap.org]

Anyway just be sure your power supply can handle the load now the bed is connected. If its on the limits of its rating you may get voltage dips which can lead to all manner of issues while printing.
March 28, 2015 11:31AM
Thank you, I will try this. I moved this response to my other thread. Thanks again.
March 28, 2015 11:47AM
Dark Skunk
Thank you, I will try this. I moved this response to my other thread. Thanks again.

You were moving while i was typing cool smiley
Considering your problem moves lower when you set you temp lower im confident the PID settings need tweaking

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/28/2015 11:47AM by bigfilsing.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login