Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Extruder, planetary gear or not ?

Posted by Lerathel 
Extruder, planetary gear or not ?
March 20, 2015 02:23AM
Hi,
I ordered 3 nema17 and one Nema 17 with planetary gear 5 2/11, as stated on the wiki.
But the build guide by blomker use an ordinary nema ?

Its an express order (no choice) and If I need to cancel the costy planetary gear and order a normal nema 17 I may be too late already.

What do I do with it ? The plastic part Im about to order are the same as in hte Blomker guide so what do I do? Fit the Gear on it ? I wont be able to screw the plastic part on the engine ?

[www.ebay.com]

Thanks

PS: Should I buy 20 theet or 16 theet puley for the 3 tower ?
Re: Extruder, planetary gear or not ?
March 20, 2015 04:29AM
Lerathel

PS: Should I buy 20 theet or 16 theet puley for the 3 tower ?

Either will work fine, but 16 teeth pulleys give you 25% more resolution theoretically speaking (in reality it makes no difference).
March 20, 2015 04:33AM
The choice of stepper for the extruder depends on the exact choice of extruder design you will be using.

First you should choose the extruder, then choose the standard stepper or one with a planetary gear. Now that you have already ordered the stepper with a planetary gear, you have your choice of extruder design made for you (i.e. the one in the wiki). So you would have to order the printed parts for it or have a friend print them for you.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/20/2015 07:21AM by AndrewBCN.
March 20, 2015 07:10AM
I would argue that the planetary stepper is the better choice for building an extruder around, and you should find a source of printed extruder parts that utilize it and not direct drive with printed gears and a hobbed bolt.

The bolt patterns between both are completely different, and the shafts are 8mm (planetary) versus 5mm (direct) in diameter. The only extruder that I've ever seen that supports both motors is the Griffin Delta's setup. I printed one for backup just in case I ever need an extruder in an emergency.....
March 20, 2015 12:12PM
I brought the plastic part from the link I posted on ebay and I did not have a choice extruder part... The planetary gear cost 3 time as much and now I wont even have the plastic part for it humm

The wiki is not up to date ?

Wich plastic part do I need to make this work ?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/20/2015 12:21PM by Lerathel.
March 20, 2015 12:20PM
Don't worry too much about it at this stage, you are still far from the point when you need a working extruder, and it's just a couple of extra plastic parts to buy anyways.

Focus on assembling the printer and having the effector move around, later you can even test the printer with a pen to make sure everything is working before you install the hotend and need a working extruder for your first print.
March 20, 2015 12:36PM
its just that Im limited on budget and with the us dollar so high recently everything I buy from us cost me 27% more + 15 $ shipping each time. So buying just one part from the us will cost me more and I just spent 70 $ on the plastic parts wich I think is more then I should hahaha and 130 $ on the 4 nema (1 planetary) shipping included. I cant afford mistake like this smiling smiley

So I need to know what type of extruder part go with the planetary gears, I can still cancel my ordered plastic parts.
March 20, 2015 01:18PM
I checked the set of plastic parts you ordered on eBay and it seems only two small parts are for the extruder. These you can have printed by a friend or somebody nearby your place for a few euros. So in my opinion you should not cancel your order.

But it's your decision to make.drinking smiley
March 20, 2015 01:49PM
I checked and the 3d printer community in Quebec province is not really big sad smiley But I still dont know what part I need printed for a planetary gear extruder. did a little recherch and found2-3 option wich one is good ? and those are files to print not printed part so...

Thanks for your help.

*I just received the nemas smiling smiley I ordered them yesterday from Phidgets (Canada +great prices), UPS Overnight shipping was the lowest cost option hahaha. First time I receive an order in less then 24 hours.
I received the aluminium extrusions yesterday smiling smiley* Those are the parts I could source from canada smiling smiley
March 20, 2015 02:36PM
Maybe check with your local library system? The main branch in my city has a 3D printer as part of a new design lab. Have to pay for plastic and it is PLA only, but I can always fall back to them if I need a part printed.
March 20, 2015 04:49PM
Wow, this would be amazing, but sadly no. In the physic lab at the univercity a teacher brought a all meta printer, forgot the name , but still not calibrated.
March 20, 2015 11:34PM
Good news, it seem that the part can fit on both even if the screw are not in the same palce, not sure how for now but it'll do smiling smiley
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login