Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Kossel mini movement problems.

Posted by TheTrashMan 
Kossel mini movement problems.
March 20, 2015 01:01PM
I recently completed the build of my kossel mini and I am having problems with getting it to move at any speed other than a snails pace.
Here are some of the specs:

1.8 degree stepper motors
Ramps 1.4( I have all of the jumpers installed, so 1/16 microstepping?)
20 teeth pulley with GT2 belts
I am running Repetier firmware and i followed these instructions:

I am controlling the printer with Pronterface
The printer turns on fine, and then I hit the home button and it will home but it does so very very slowly. I really have no idea what is causing it. I can upload my repetier file if that will help. I feel like I am just making a stupid mistake somewhere. Thank you in advance for any help I get!
Re: Kossel mini movement problems.
March 20, 2015 01:02PM
whoops i forgot the link instructions
March 20, 2015 01:20PM
what is the value you have configured for steps/mm (you can check that on the LCD)?
March 20, 2015 04:18PM
AndrewBCN
what is the value you have configured for steps/mm (you can check that on the LCD)?

Is that under feedrate on the LCD?
March 20, 2015 04:42PM
TheTrashMan
AndrewBCN

Sorry, I am not familiar with the Repetier firmware LCD menus, but it's probably labeled something like "X steps/mm", "Y steps per mm" or similar.
March 20, 2015 05:06PM
AndrewBCN
TheTrashMan
AndrewBCN

Sorry, I am not familiar with the Repetier firmware LCD menus, but it's probably labeled something like "X steps/mm", "Y steps per mm" or similar.

Thank you for your help Andrew! I got it partially figured out. It still homes really slowly but after it homes now it moves much faster,I think I just need to figure out how to make it home faster now. I will report back
March 21, 2015 01:58AM
i recently had to install repetier while investigating a problem on my machine and had the same speed issues

when you open repetier host and connect to your printer go to the config tab menu and 3rd one down is " Firmware Eeprom configuration" click that
( it will be greyed out if your not connected to the printer)
There you can adjust all the settings you need . You have to click OK to have the setting updated
in the pic i set my homing feed rate to 40 which gave nice smooth travel to home

March 21, 2015 08:37PM
bigfilsing
i recently had to install repetier while investigating a problem on my machine and had the same speed issues

when you open repetier host and connect to your printer go to the config tab menu and 3rd one down is " Firmware Eeprom configuration" click that
( it will be greyed out if your not connected to the printer)
There you can adjust all the settings you need . You have to click OK to have the setting updated
in the pic i set my homing feed rate to 40 which gave nice smooth travel to home
[attachment 51429 homefeedrate.jpg]

Perfect! I tried that and it worked beautifully! It was set to 2mm/s. Thanks for the help!
March 21, 2015 11:44PM
You're welcome Glad it worked.
I'm a believer in slow and steady. I see quite a few people ( on you tube) that have the homing rate way to high (IMO) and the carriages bang into the top end stops. Can't be good for frame or micro switches.
Ironically homing is the first part of printing and prints can run into many hours duration. So if a couple of seconds homing can protect frame and microswitches that has to be a good thing in my book

Cheers
March 22, 2015 03:11AM
bigfilsing
You're welcome Glad it worked.
I'm a believer in slow and steady. I see quite a few people ( on you tube) that have the homing rate way to high (IMO) and the carriages bang into the top end stops. Can't be good for frame or micro switches.
Ironically homing is the first part of printing and prints can run into many hours duration. So if a couple of seconds homing can protect frame and microswitches that has to be a good thing in my book

Cheers

+1 thumbs up
March 22, 2015 05:12AM
Slow homing also helps rescue things. With delta printers , by their very nature, having so many "open" belts. arms & pulleys moving, its easy to get a tool or loose filament trapped somewhere which can cause a disaster.
At least with a slow home speed you stand a chance of taking action

As a side note i really quite like the Repetier firmware. I was ( i think like many others ) a bit wary to start with, but having being forced to give it a try its actually pretty good. I especially like the configuration options from Repetier host.
But ill stick with Simplify3D and see how well it plays with Repetier FW when i have time.
Cheers
March 22, 2015 06:17PM
bigfilsing
Slow homing also helps rescue things. With delta printers , by their very nature, having so many "open" belts. arms & pulleys moving, its easy to get a tool or loose filament trapped somewhere which can cause a disaster.
At least with a slow home speed you stand a chance of taking action

As a side note i really quite like the Repetier firmware. I was ( i think like many others ) a bit wary to start with, but having being forced to give it a try its actually pretty good. I especially like the configuration options from Repetier host.
But ill stick with Simplify3D and see how well it plays with Repetier FW when i have time.
Cheers

I really like being able to make changes right from host! What is a good, safe speed for homing would you say?
March 22, 2015 08:38PM
40mm/s worked for me but may be a bit slow for some people. Try a few settings and see what you like
March 31, 2015 08:10PM
Ok guys I have a new problem. Actually not so much a problem, more of a question. Does anyone know where i can buy the motor cable in this picture stateside?
I am sure it is a fairly standard motor cable, but I can't seem to be able to find a place that I can buy from in the US.
Attachments:
open | download - a08afbd8d1c5fbf68964840cda838eb0.gif (93 KB)
March 31, 2015 08:19PM
This stepper motor cable thread from a few days ago in the general forum may be enlightening:

http://forums.reprap.org/read.php?1,489928
March 31, 2015 08:46PM
hmm close but i still can't find a US supplier
April 02, 2015 07:28AM
You could just solder directly to the pins or make your own cable up. The parts look to be standard JST fittings (you would have to buy some crimps though)
April 04, 2015 11:56AM
Yes I got that all sorted thank you! I am having trouble with my extruder! I have pronterface up and running and when i click extrude the extruder motor makes a horrible noise! It sounds like it is grinding an it doesn't move.
I have the motor cable wired the same as the other motors, and they all work fine. Any ideas what could be wrong?
April 05, 2015 01:06AM
Could be a number of things
mechanical problem in the motor ( unlikely)
driver set wrong ( stepper is stalling)
too much pressure on the filament ( stalling)
extruder blocked

Remove motor and see if it runs OK in its own right. Then install in the extruder and test without filament . Then add filament and test and so on till you isolate what the issue is.
April 06, 2015 12:51PM
I got it fixed, thanks! I had the middle two wires reversed.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login