Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

So what kind of Delta should I pick?

Posted by mikes3ds 
So what kind of Delta should I pick?
March 23, 2015 06:34PM
Ok, after looking at many designs and getting suggestions from users, I finally leaning toward building a delta 3D printer; however, I cant pick what design I want to go with?

Any ideas?

Something that has some of the new technology. (Maybe, auto leveling/ calibration, dual head, smart extruder)
Normal size or large build area.
Price as cheap as I can make it but $300-$1000

I don't want a kit.

My experience: 
I am a Computer Engineer 
Built tons of robots, and other things; but first try to build 3d printer (love to tinker)

I have access to a: 
3D printer, laser cutter, wood working equipment and more 

What I am looking for: 
Solid design.
Rigid frame.
Normal size or large build area.
Price as cheap as I can make it but $300-$1000
Something that has some of the new technology. (Maybe a, auto leveling/ calibration, dual head, smart extruder)
I don't want a kit.
Re: So what kind of Delta should I pick?
March 24, 2015 03:01AM
Take a look at my Cherry Pi thread. There are three effector designs, one for Jhead with a built in limit switch for auto levelling (common consensus is that it's not really required for a delta), one for an E3D V5 clone and one for a true E3D Cyclops dual extruder. The 4XL version has a 300mm diameter build plate and 500mm plus Z height.

You can easily build any variant within your budget. It's a long thread but well worth a read through.
March 24, 2015 03:55AM
AndyCart
Take a look at my Cherry Pi thread. There are three effector designs, one for Jhead with a built in limit switch for auto levelling (common consensus is that it's not really required for a delta), one for an E3D V5 clone and one for a true E3D Cyclops dual extruder. The 4XL version has a 300mm diameter build plate and 500mm plus Z height.

You can easily build any variant within your budget. It's a long thread but well worth a read through.

Seconded on that I am just coming to the end of a extended 4XL machine also didn't Les post his modified effector assembly for the E3D V6 as well (If he did I can't find it maybe he will post them for people to use)

Doug
March 25, 2015 12:10PM
Looks good I will probably go with the cherry pi. For the cherry pi 4XL, do you know where the post is or any links to design specs?

Thanks.
March 25, 2015 01:08PM
look at Bigger slice of Pi aka pi 4XL
March 25, 2015 02:49PM
Thank you looks like I will be building a 4XL cherry pi =)

Any advice before I start buying parts, and 3d printing parts?

Also any thoughts on dual extruder for cherry pi 4XL?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/25/2015 03:38PM by mikes3ds.
March 25, 2015 03:22PM
mikes3ds

Get a good 32-bit controller board to run it, e.g Duet (good, especially the web interface, but needs a daughter board if you want to run more than one extruder), Smoothieboard (people seem to like it, and it is available in a dual extruder version, but overpriced IMO), or AZSMZ Mini (low cost, but lacks the Ethernet interface of the others). Other people can advise you better on the mechanial parts than I can.

Large delta printer [miscsolutions.wordpress.com], E3D tool changer, Robotdigg SCARA printer, Crane Quad and Ormerod

Disclosure: I design Duet electronics and work on RepRapFirmware, [duet3d.com].
March 26, 2015 04:54AM
mikes3ds
Thank you looks like I will be building a 4XL cherry pi =)

Also any thoughts on dual extruder for cherry pi 4XL?
Yes E3d Chimera dual hotend (Andy has done a Effector to take this).

the 4XL uses many of the pi3s parts the main differences are in the corner parts all others are the same.

I also echo what DC42 says about Electronics although the ramps combination works it is right on the edge performance wise.

Doug
March 26, 2015 07:34AM
mikes3ds

The best advice that I can offer -- there is a fine line between hobby and mental obsession. smiling smiley This should be included on every 3D printer part as a legal disclaimer.....

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/26/2015 07:35AM by vreihen.
March 26, 2015 08:36AM
vreihen
mikes3ds

The best advice that I can offer -- there is a fine line between hobby and mental obsession. smiling smiley This should be included on every 3D printer part as a legal disclaimer.....

Very True thumbs upwinking smiley
March 26, 2015 03:13PM
vreihen
mikes3ds

+1 and this hobby will try your patience and wallet ( and possibly your relationship) and not always in equal measures
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login