Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Hooking up the stepper motors on a Mini Kossel

Posted by Jonwpatte 
Hooking up the stepper motors on a Mini Kossel
April 25, 2015 10:55PM
Hello, new guy here, so I'm very new at this, so all the help is greatly appreciated.

I have built up a mini Kossel according to the Blomker build guide that has the recirculating balls on the carriage and a Merlin hot end.
I however am not sure how the stepper motors hook up on the RAMP board, and I'm not sure if I got them connected right.

So to be safe and sorry, I am needing some help on making sure that I connected them right.
Here is the rat's nest of wires with the stepper motors connected:

I'm using these stepper motors: NEMA17 Stepper Motor, 76 oz-in
The connectors are these:

Re: Hooking up the stepper motors on a Mini Kossel
April 26, 2015 01:23AM
I think your going to need to test it out. You wont burn out your motors if you plug them in backwards. I would say connect all the axis motors in one direction and connect it to a pc, once you do so test it out using something like pronterface, if you have them hooked up ok then your golden if the printer is moving backwards when you jog it then flip them on the ramps or in the firmware.

My Personal Blog. Build blog.
[engineerd3d.ddns.net]

Modicum V1 sold on e-bay user jaguarking11
April 26, 2015 05:42AM
Have a hand on the power switch when you send the first home command in case the motors move backwards, and set the carriages mid-way by hand so that you have reaction time to hit the switch if they move the wrong way. Even better, do the first test with the belts off, and just watch the motors spin.....
April 26, 2015 12:09PM
I do have another question, in regards to the power. I have looked everywhere on the internet to see how a power switch is hooked up on the printer, but the search has came up nothing that has anything to do with a write up on how to hook up one.

I have always been known as a hardware guy, but the hooking up on anything on this printer has eluded me. I think I have everything hooked up as should but even I'm not sure. Hooking up the main power to the RAMPS and the power supply has me scratching my head.
April 26, 2015 01:53PM
What kind of power supply do you have?
April 26, 2015 02:25PM
I have a 12v 20A power supply. The model number for the thing is S-240-12 switching power supply.
April 26, 2015 02:31PM
Jonwpatte
I have a 12v 20A power supply. The model number for the thing is S-240-12 switching power supply.

I suspect you are thinking about the GCode option to turn PSU on or of THIS WILL NOT WORK WITH LED TYPE PSU's it is meant for ATX Psu's with the PS on function.

I suggest that you just wire in a mians switch in your PSU power line or go the cheap and cheerful methid of unplug it from the wall socket when not in use.

HTH

Doug
April 26, 2015 02:45PM
Jonwpatte

Having looked that up on the web, it looks just like the standard Chinese LED power supplies. I have one of those, and I printed this cover to protect the mains terminals from prying fingers, and also accommodate a mains power inlet with fuse and switch, and an indicator light.

Details at [www.thingiverse.com] .

Large delta printer [miscsolutions.wordpress.com], E3D tool changer, Robotdigg SCARA printer, Crane Quad and Ormerod

Disclosure: I design Duet electronics and work on RepRapFirmware, [duet3d.com].

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login