Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

PLA for Kossel build?

Posted by Mils24 
PLA for Kossel build?
April 28, 2015 06:58PM
Hello again guys

I am planning my first Kossel Build and I'm trying to figure out if PLA is suitable for printing the plastic parts?

I have read quite a bit online and getting mixed results. I have found some companies selling kits that use PLA parts and some the use ABS parts. Also some sites that say PLA is fine and some that say stay away. Therefore I thought the best idea would be to ask here As I'm sure there are a few out there.

Can anyone who has one or has experience with a Kossel or even vast knowledge/experience of each filament type please give me advice if PLA will do the job?

How will it wear over time? Will it cause problems with flex, shrinkage, degradation etc? Is it strong enough to start with?

Many thanks.
Re: PLA for Kossel build?
April 28, 2015 07:07PM
Hi, my Kossel Mini is using PLA printed parts. Everything is OK (everything except heated bed mounts, they are just melted after I set 120C for bed). PLA is very good and rigid.
April 28, 2015 08:15PM
I had a PLA effector plate fold like a taco shell when I cranked the hotend up to print ABS. If you plan to use a heated build chamber or print ABS, then start out with ABS parts. You may also want to check out AliExpress, as multiple vendors on there are selling metal bracket Kossel parts.....
April 29, 2015 02:50AM
vreihen
I had a PLA effector plate fold like a taco shell when I cranked the hotend up to print ABS. If you plan to use a heated build chamber or print ABS, then start out with ABS parts. You may also want to check out AliExpress, as multiple vendors on there are selling metal bracket Kossel parts.....

Robodigg also do metal kossel parts both top and bottom brackets Carriage's and effector plate (carriages to fit MGN12 slides but could be fitted to wheeled carriages as well) parts are in Blue or Black and are for 20x20 extrusion.

Also as Vreihen says if you plan to use a heatbed and print ABS at any time then use ABS or metal parts.

Doug

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/29/2015 02:52AM by dougal1957.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login