Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

New firmware 1.09a-dc42 for Duet electronics

Posted by dc42 
New firmware 1.09a-dc42 for Duet electronics
May 17, 2015 05:11PM
I've released firmware version 1.09a-dc42 at [github.com]. As usual, to download it, follow the link to the version you requires and click the Raw button. The changes in this release compared to 1.04f-dc42 are:

Merged in zpl's latest changes to Network and Print Monitor modules. DHCP and Netbios names are now supported (thanks RRP/zpl)
Added command M999 S4321 to unlock flash memory, reset and boot to BOSSA port (so you don't need access to the Erase button on the Duet)
Z dive height is now relative to Z probe trigger height and the default is reduced to 3mm. As before, you can use the M558 H parameter to adjust it.
Added experimental support (not yet complete) for an acoustic Z probe for delta printers (Z probe type 5)
Bug fix: when using a simple modulated IR probe, very high readings were occasionally read
Bug fix: on Cartesian printers, the firmware once again prevents Z homing before X and Y are homed, if the Z probe is used for Z homing
Various code tidying

If you upgrade to this release from my 1.04 series firmware on a delta printer, please note the following:

1. If you are using the H parameter in the M5568 command to increase the Z dive height, you may wish to remove it, or reduce the value - because the Z probe trigger height is now added to the dive height automatically.

2. The meaning of the S parameter in the G30 command changed at version 1.04d, so if you upgrade from a version prior to 1.04d, be sure to pick up the new version of the bed.g file and adjust the probe coordinates for your machine.

Large delta printer [miscsolutions.wordpress.com], E3D tool changer, Robotdigg SCARA printer, Crane Quad and Ormerod

Disclosure: I design Duet electronics and work on RepRapFirmware, [duet3d.com].
Re: New firmware 1.09a-dc42 for Duet electronics
May 19, 2015 11:14AM
Awesome.

Does this mean 1.09 has all of your fork included up to and including 1.04f?

Thanks for your continued work for the Deltas.
May 19, 2015 04:49PM
wayno complaino
Does this mean 1.09 has all of your fork included up to and including 1.04f?

Yes. Versios 1.09dc42 combines my Move code (which adds support for CoreXY printers, Delta printers, and least squares auto calibration) with network code improvements from the RepRapPro 1.09 release.

Large delta printer [miscsolutions.wordpress.com], E3D tool changer, Robotdigg SCARA printer, Crane Quad and Ormerod

May 28, 2015 10:02AM
Dave

A quick but probably stupid Question

After running the Autocal routine will the M665 and M666 commands show the changes made and what would be the effect of running it multiple times. (It seems to start from a higher point which I guess is the effect of the routine altering the Z Height.

When you say the Z Height offset am I right in thinking that if I need to lower the effector by 0.5 mm from probe trigger point to get the sheet of paper right then I set my Z offset to 0.5 in the G31 command?

Doug
May 28, 2015 01:29PM
dougal1957
After running the Autocal routine will the M665 and M666 commands show the changes made...

Yes. However, the autocal routine tells you what changes it made anyway. If you are using the web interface, look in the log on the gcode console page. To see a more detailed view of what is going on, connect Pronterface and send M111 S1 P4 to enable Move debug before your run G32. Don't forget to cancel it with M111 S0 before you print.

dougal1957
... and what would be the effect of running it multiple times.

If your Z probe gives reprodicible results, the calibration values shouldn't change significantly, unless they were a very long way out to start with.

dougal1957
When you say the Z Height offset am I right in thinking that if I need to lower the effector by 0.5 mm from probe trigger point to get the sheet of paper right then I set my Z offset to 0.5 in the G31 command?

Yes, that's how you tell the firmware at what probe height the probe reading crosses the threshold set by the G31 P parameter is (for any printer type, not just deltas).

May 28, 2015 02:08PM
Thanks Dave

That confirms what I thought although the results I am seeing only give me the Endstop adjustment's and the total height. so for example if I set me Z Height to be 430 and it is actually detected as 417.xx then if I run the G32 again then it has a large offset for the dive so starts much higher up so.

Given this is it an idea to graft the results into the config.g file (Give a little) especially for the height parameter.

Nearly ready to go for a print now but I still have some variation in effector level in respect to the bed but I am beginning to suspect the bed itself it has a definite bow in it and not even certain that the Glass is totally flat as well tho it should be.

I may just try my Square piece of Ecocast plate which is machined flat, (I can always cut it to a triangular shape)

I will video the autocal routine later and then try and figure out how to upload it/attach the link to a post. The Mini sensor is very impressive and is repeatable in it trigger.

Doug

dc42
dougal1957
After running the Autocal routine will the M665 and M666 commands show the changes made...

Yes. However, the autocal routine tells you what changes it made anyway. If you are using the web interface, look in the log on the gcode console page. To see a more detailed view of what is going on, connect Pronterface and send M111 S1 P4 to enable Move debug before your run G32. Don't forget to cancel it with M111 S0 before you print.

dougal1957
... and what would be the effect of running it multiple times.

If your Z probe gives reprodicible results, the calibration values shouldn't change significantly, unless they were a very long way out to start with.

dougal1957

Yes, that's how you tell the firmware at what probe height the probe reading crosses the threshold set by the G31 P parameter is (for any printer type, not just deltas).
May 28, 2015 02:56PM
dougal1957
Thanks Dave

That confirms what I thought although the results I am seeing only give me the Endstop adjustment's and the total height.

M565 gives you the delta radius and homed height, but if you have run 6- or 7-factor calibration then it does not give you the tower coordinates. Maybe I should change it to give the tower coordinates instead of delta radius if they have been adjusted?

dougal1957
...so for example if I set me Z Height to be 430 and it is actually detected as 417.xx then if I run the G32 again then it has a large offset for the dive so starts much higher up so.

Are you sure? If actual height is 417 then the probe should start at a lower height, not a higher one. You can set the Z dive height using the M558 H parameter, which in firmware 1.09 and later is relative to the Z probe threshold height set via then G31 Z parameter. The default is now 3mm.

dougal1957
Given this is it an idea to graft the results into the config.g file (Give a little) especially for the height parameter.

You definitely need to put the height parameter into the M665 command in config.g, along with the diagonal rod length and an approximate delta radius (preferably, to within 1mm or so). If autocal adjusts your endstops by more than 0.5mm, then I suggest you either put initial endstop corrections in the M666 command in config.g, or adjust then endstop positions.See Part 4 of my blog entry on converting the Mini Kossel to Duet electronics for full details.

dougal1957
I will video the autocal routine later and then try and figure out how to upload it/attach the link to a post. The Mini sensor is very impressive and is repeatable in it trigger.

You might beat me to publishing a video then! On my rebuilt Kossel, I have gone through several iterations of the printed hotend fan duct mini sensor mount to get the nozzle offset and height just right, and I have just painted my aluminium bed plate with matt black stove paint to work better with the IR sensor because it doesn't really like bright aluminium under 4mm glass. The paint is curing now.

May 29, 2015 04:20AM
How do I attach a Video to a Post

I have timed the Autocal and on my Kossel probing 6 times at 300 mm dia and 6 times at 150 mm dia and then centre takes a total of 35 seconds.

Doug
VDX
May 29, 2015 05:34AM
dougal1957
How do I attach a Video to a Post

... e.g. upload to vimeo and attach the link ...

Viktor
--------
Aufruf zum Projekt "Müll-freie Meere" - [reprap.org] -- Deutsche Facebook-Gruppe - [www.facebook.com]

Call for the project "garbage-free seas" - [reprap.org]
May 29, 2015 05:38AM
Thanks Victor but I know absolutely nothing about Vimeo

Doug
VDX
May 29, 2015 05:55AM
... create an account at - [vimeo.com]

Then upload your video (time for upload +45minutes 'converting' time for the basic account level)

Here an example:

[vimeo.com]

Viktor
--------
Aufruf zum Projekt "Müll-freie Meere" - [reprap.org] -- Deutsche Facebook-Gruppe - [www.facebook.com]

Call for the project "garbage-free seas" - [reprap.org]
May 29, 2015 05:57AM
Thanks Victor managed to suss it out waiting for it to convert now will post the link once it has finished (Maybe be much later as I need to go to work for a bit)

Doug

VDX
... create an account at - [vimeo.com]

Then upload your video (time for upload +45minutes 'converting' time for the basic account level)

Here an example:

[vimeo.com]
May 29, 2015 06:35AM
Video of DC42 Autocal in operation

Takes all of 35 seconds to calibrate my Large Kossel

Auto Calibration Video

Doug
May 29, 2015 07:56AM
dougal1957
Video of DC42 Autocal in operation

Takes all of 35 seconds to calibrate my Large Kossel

Auto Calibration Video

Doug

You beat me to it!

I've now uploaded my video, which shows autocalibration being performed first using the switch probe, and then using the IR probe. It takes 26 seconds using the IR probe and 13 probe points, and a bit longer using the switch because of the time needed to deploy and retract the probe. The video is here: [vimeo.com]. Apologies for the poor quality, I'm not used to making videos.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 05/29/2015 07:58AM by dc42.

May 29, 2015 09:54AM
dc42
Apologies for the poor quality, I'm not used to making videos.

A tripod is a wonderful device... winking smiley tongue sticking out smiley

(only teasing)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/29/2015 09:54AM by David J.
May 29, 2015 11:32AM
David J
dc42

(only teasing)

Yes, along with a device to pan the camera smoothly, a remote zoom control, better camera... and most of all, a better idea of what I should be doing! Time to google for tutorials on making videos I think.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/29/2015 11:33AM by dc42.

May 29, 2015 11:55AM
dc42
David J
dc42

(only teasing)

Yes, along with a device to pan the camera smoothly, a remote zoom control, better camera... and most of all, a better idea of what I should be doing! Time to google for tutorials on making videos I think.

Dave

That will probably open up a whole new can of worms (and probably Expense) Decent software alone can cost thousands of pounds (Adobe Premier is about the minimum I reckon and then maybe all it's add on's)

Mine was done with a handheld GoPro at 1080p res and then convert down in size with some freeby software (First Time I have actually used the GoPro even tho I've had it ages (One of those impulse buys with a length of service bonus from work).

don't think it was to bad.

I need to modify my Config.g tho I still have a H5.0 in the G31 line reduce or remove that and it will have less to travel at the slow speed and that will reduce the cal time enormously

How often do you think the G32 should be run ie at start up or before each print?

Doug
May 29, 2015 12:14PM
'Handbrake' is quite a decent video editor - available on Linux and (I believe) most other systems.
May 29, 2015 12:37PM
Yep it certainly is so is Prism by NCH Software

Doug
May 29, 2015 01:18PM
I've set up my ir probe today, got the latest duet firmware from here and duet web control 1.06 from the Ormerod section. Is that the right web interface version DC? The one you have linked to on your blog seems outdated and doesn't work. When I click the Auto bed compensation button the print head whizzes around and then gives me this:
Error: Delta calibration error: 5 factors requested but only 3, 4, 6 and 7 supported
Too tired to figure out what I've done wrong.
May 29, 2015 01:23PM
David J
'Handbrake' is quite a decent video editor - available on Linux and (I believe) most other systems.

Oops - I meant 'Openshot Video Editor' - but only available on Linux I believe, unsure about other systems. It's free, by the way.
May 29, 2015 01:27PM
asbo
I've set up my ir probe today, got the latest duet firmware from here and duet web control 1.06 from the Ormerod section. Is that the right web interface version DC?

Yes, that's the latest.

asbo
When I click the Auto bed compensation button the print head whizzes around and then gives me this:
Error: Delta calibration error: 5 factors requested but only 3, 4, 6 and 7 supported

Check your bed.g file, and compare it with the one in SD-image/sys-MiniKossel in my github repo. The S parameter on the final G30 line needs to be 3, 4, 6 or 7. I normally use 7, but if you don't want the diagonal rod length to be adjusted, use 6.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/29/2015 06:28PM by dc42.

May 29, 2015 02:51PM
I didn't even have a bed.g file, added the one from your repo and it now works smiling smiley Also added pause.g, resume.g and updated the config.g and homedelta.g files. Seems I was a little out of date grinning smiley
How do you get those autocal etc buttons to show up on the paneldue?
May 29, 2015 06:27PM
asbo
How do you get those autocal etc buttons to show up on the paneldue?

Just create a file containing the gcodes you want to run, and with the filename that you want to appear as the menu text on the PanelDue. Then upload it to the /macros directory on the SD card. The web interface has a Macros page that makes this easy to do.

The next release of PanelDue firmware will support subdirectories in /macros, which will allow you to create submenus.

May 30, 2015 06:51AM
Excellent, got that working too. My printer is not within reach of my PC so its nice to be able to fire up a macro from the screen and have a finger on the off switch in case it goes horribly wrong grinning smiley

Slightly off topic, is there a 5V source on the Duet I can power an always on fan from? E3d say the hotend fan should always be on but its really noisy powered directly from the 12V PSU.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login