Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Marlin or Repetier Firmware For My Delta?

Posted by Make_3D 
Marlin or Repetier Firmware For My Delta?
May 19, 2015 10:41AM
Hi,

I've got my delta printer built to the point where i can start loading the firmware, i am running the standard mega 2560 and ramps 1.4 combo, which firmware is recommended? I know that the mega will be pushed to its limits with the delta but as I have only ever used marlin I am not sure if there are any advantages using repetier firmware with this setup.
Re: Marlin or Repetier Firmware For My Delta?
May 20, 2015 05:26PM
I believe most of the advantages of Repetier over Marlin have to do with Repetier's interaction with Repetier-Host. Things like a better interface for editing the EEPROM. But if you prefer Marlin, it should be just as good if not better.
May 20, 2015 06:02PM
Not true. Repetier is the better firmware for running Deltas, its more resource efficient and Marlin will bog down if you have a graphic lcd attached and try to go slightly too fast. The biggest marlin pro is Auto-calibration, but manual calibration is always superior anyways. And if you really want to do auto-cal, load up marlin, auto-cal it and then input the values into Repetier.
May 21, 2015 02:11PM
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought the latest Repetier firmware had support for auto-calibration? (see this page: [www.repetier.com]).

Is that different from the auto-calibration in Marlin?

I haven't tried Marlin yet, but the Repetier host interface for editing the EEPROM values on Repetier firmware is a godsend for calibration. It's tedious enough just changing firmware values, if I had to edit configuration.h and re-upload the firmware everytime I would have checked the whole printer out the window by now. :-)
May 21, 2015 07:01PM
You should use Smoothieware and M665/M666, which blows the EPROM calibration away in terms of simplicity.....
May 22, 2015 02:06AM
vreihen
You should use Smoothieware and M665/M666, which blows the EPROM calibration away in terms of simplicity.....

What you mean that Smoothieware is available for the Mega2560/Ramps combo now must check that out.

Doug
May 22, 2015 06:48AM
dougal1957
vreihen

What you mean that Smoothieware is available for the Mega2560/Ramps combo now must check that out.

Doug

Sorry, it can NEVER run on such limited hardware. I just meant that M665/M666 is a much simpler way to change/save the settings than the clunky Repetier EPROM settings (which I have used in the past). I don't follow Marlin, but thought that I remember seeing that M665/M666 were supported in one or more forks?????
May 22, 2015 10:43AM
vreihen
dougal1957
vreihen

Doug

Sorry, it can NEVER run on such limited hardware. I just meant that M665/M666 is a much simpler way to change/save the settings than the clunky Repetier EPROM settings (which I have used in the past). I don't follow Marlin, but thought that I remember seeing that M665/M666 were supported in one or more forks?????

Yes guessed that! sorry just me saying it Tongue in Cheek so to speak,

I also don't follow Marlin at all I could never get it to compile on my Ramps based system so ended up with Repetier which I find to be much better/easier to configure.

Doug
May 23, 2015 12:23AM
vreihen

Rich Cattel's Marlin has M666. Good auto-calibration too.
May 23, 2015 04:06AM
BlasphemousBits
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought the latest Repetier firmware had support for auto-calibration? (see this page: [www.repetier.com]).

Is that different from the auto-calibration in Marlin?

I haven't tried Marlin yet, but the Repetier host interface for editing the EEPROM values on Repetier firmware is a godsend for calibration. It's tedious enough just changing firmware values, if I had to edit configuration.h and re-upload the firmware everytime I would have checked the whole printer out the window by now. :-)

Yeah, no. Autoleveling is different than auto-calibration, although many people use it (incorrectly) interchangeably. I recommend RAMPS with Repetier if you are going cheap. If not and you have a much larger budget, I recommend Smoothieboard if you want to push the limits of your delta (beyond just 3d printing), if just simple 3D printing, then Azteeg X5. If you want really crazy bleeding edge, then Machinekit with either CRAMPS or Bebopr++. The Duet platform has like one guy (dc42) working on it on his free time, and is nice for its quick and powerful calibration, but I prefer the other options.
May 23, 2015 04:54AM
3DRapidClone
The Duet platform has like one guy (dc42) working on it on his free time, and is nice for its quick and powerful calibration, ...

That won't be the case for much longer, see [reprappro.com].

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 05/23/2015 05:01AM by dc42.

Large delta printer [miscsolutions.wordpress.com], E3D tool changer, Robotdigg SCARA printer, Crane Quad and Ormerod

Disclosure: I design Duet electronics and work on RepRapFirmware, [duet3d.com].
May 23, 2015 05:46PM
I'm in a similar situation to the topic creator.

I personally want to use Repetier for my delta printer, but when I print a delta calibration object (it looks like a snowflake) the length of the co-linear legs to tower B are slightly too long, and I haven't been able to find any clear directions on how to manually calibrate the error out. I'd like to use autocalibration and move the values over to Repetier, although Repetier lacks delta geometry correction.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/23/2015 05:47PM by FelixP.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login