Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Ball Bearing Help?

Posted by mikes3ds 
Ball Bearing Help?
June 01, 2015 01:45PM
Ok, so having lots of issues drilling that ball bearings. I am going off the cherry PI design with 10mm ball bearings.

The problems/attempts:
The lathe does not hold the ball bearing well enough it just gets pushed back. (Even with rubber grips)
Drill press I can never get it in the center, I might make a jig to hold it but the ball bearing is so small wont it just spin the jig.

Is there a cheap alternative I can buy anywhere? (Links please)
Re: Ball Bearing Help?
June 01, 2015 02:33PM
mikes3ds
Ok, so having lots of issues drilling that ball bearings. I am going off the cherry PI design with 10mm ball bearings.

The problems/attempts:
The lathe does not hold the ball bearing well enough it just gets pushed back. (Even with rubber grips)
Drill press I can never get it in the center, I might make a jig to hold it but the ball bearing is so small wont it just spin the jig.

Is there a cheap alternative I can buy anywhere? (Links please)

How about 10 mm balls drilled and tapped M4

Doug
June 01, 2015 04:34PM
In the lathe, you can put in a backer block to keep it from moving back. It all depends on the lathe/chuck design on how to do this.

A jig to hold the bearing in place on the drill press can be made as follows:
  1. Clamp a small block of aluminum or steel on the drill press. Don't move it after this and it will remain centered.
  2. Drill a hole slightly smaller than the diameter of the bearing in an aluminum or steel block. (Use a spotting drill to start, or ensure the bit doesn't wander when starting the hole.)
  3. Put the bearing on the hole.
  4. Place a heavy washer over the bearing (or make a plate with a hole slightly smaller than the diameter of the bearing).
  5. Clamp the washer/plate down. If you don't have a clamp set, then drill and tap several holes in the aluminum/steel block and use bolts to secure the washer/plate and bearing.
  6. Use an end mill to level the top of the ball bearing.
  7. Use a spotting drill to start the hole.
  8. Drill and tap the hole.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/01/2015 04:37PM by etfrench.
June 01, 2015 05:47PM
How about not drilling them?

I originally built a Cherry Pi III with 10mm magnets, then switched to the string-and-spring approach. I got 10mm bearings and just kept the cupped-out rods from the original design. You could super-glue the bearings into the plastic sockets, but I never bothered. When you spring it all together the tension holds the balls and rods in place. And it just makes more sense to me anyway, since with a little grease the cupped rods slide on the bearings like butter, and you don't have to rely on the balls pivoting in the plastic at all.
June 01, 2015 08:47PM
Three good ideas....um choices.

Dang I don't know what one is best. smileys with beer

ummmm

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/01/2015 08:48PM by mikes3ds.
June 02, 2015 02:43AM
If it was me I would get the ones ready done on Ebay so you might wait a couple of weeks for them but think of the time saved also Ball bearing's tend to be very hard and getting a drill to go in exactly central would not be that easy.

£2.59 for 12 what's that around $4-5 I guess

Doug
June 03, 2015 09:57AM
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login