Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Ebay SINTRON Kossel Mini full kit

Posted by Miamicraft 
Re: Ebay SINTRON Kossel Mini full kit
October 19, 2015 06:23PM
Only tried PLA so far..but i have turned OFF the heat bed Fan and they are comming out near perfecto.
Masking tape and glue on the bed just before it prints and the time it takes to cool down everything fuses to gether nicley
A little guard on the hot end to only cool the input NOT the nozzle where the Thermister is and it is all good.
Workshop air conditioner should be OFF for a good Large Print. I am above Cairns so it is tropical here and the heat is good for printing
We Need a Heated Bed for heat DO NOT OVER COOL
Attachments:
open | download - Build2.jpg (44.8 KB)
October 19, 2015 06:31PM
DRTak

#define DEFAULT_AXIS_STEPS_PER_UNIT {80, 80, 80, 100} // x 75 87.3 was my default but prints are 10.6mm not 10mm
#define DEFAULT_MAX_FEEDRATE {300, 300, 300, 300} // (mm/sec)
#define DEFAULT_MAX_ACCELERATION {1000,1000,1000,1000} // X, Y, Z, E max

I hope everyone elses looks similar?

Mine are 80 and 104.027 (or what was that a couple of posts above) and max feedrate 500.
October 19, 2015 09:15PM
DRTak

Also, I noticed that I was not getting enough filament and my parts were kinda off. Small parts that is. Im trying to print LEGOs which are impossible.

Not impossible at all, I'm printing interlocking pieces that are quite similar to lego (my own design to get around copyright issues, but same principles). I've got good interlock, strong click, separates nicely.

I had to go down to 0.1mm layer height, use a raft, and use ABS (PLA is too stiff). Also you need a high temperature to fuse the layers otherwise you get delamination when you separate the pieces.

Keep going, you'll get there.
Anonymous User
October 19, 2015 11:23PM
Did another 4 prints yesterday. Ended up with perfect Size walls but the perimeters not touching each other anymore... 0.6mm! Space between the walls!!!
With theese results, I'm starting to think, if slic3r is doing his job correct...

I'm using Slic3r 1.2,9.stable. Should I try another Version? Another slicer like kisslicer or cura?
October 20, 2015 12:09AM
Have you got a picture of your issues there Sir Death?

Are the gaps between your perimeters and the infill? I had some issues, but need to see a picture before we can diagnose. Slic3r certainly does seem to have some strange ways of deciding where to put filament some times.
Anonymous User
October 20, 2015 12:21AM
No - the gaps are vertical between the three perimeters.
In addition, slicer does not make the 3 top solid layers I want him to do - only one. - if you are lucky....
Sclic3r frequently crashes while slicing, and for example on the 5mm calibration steps, it uses infill speed for the perimeters of the top two steps....

I might switch to an older version of slic3r or to another slicer to verify, if it is slicer or me doing something wrong,,,
October 20, 2015 04:46AM
slic3r 1.2.9 has known issues with perimeter gap filling.
Check the slicer-subforum for more.
-Olaf
Anonymous User
October 20, 2015 06:50AM
o_lampe
-Olaf

Da****! sh**! Piece of crap!

Sorry for these ugly words :-)
I'm new to 3D-printing, and this is my first printer.
Lost many hours the last two weeks (must be over 30 hours) just trying to get Slic3r 1.2.9 to work.
I might change to Slic3r 1.1.7 - but I think I don't want to see the bastard slic3r anymore.
(Little word joke - the german word for bastard sound phonetically simillar to Slicer... eye rolling smiley)

What do you think of Cura?
October 20, 2015 06:52AM
Sir_Death
o_lampe
-Olaf

Da****! sh**! Piece of crap!

Sorry for these ugly words :-)
I'm new to 3D-printing, and this is my first printer.
Lost many hours the last two weeks (must be over 30 hours) just trying to get Slic3r 1.2.9 to work.
I might change to Slic3r 1.1.7 - but I think I don't want to see the bastard slic3r anymore.
(Little word joke - the german word for bastard sound phonetically simillar to Slicer... eye rolling smiley)

What do you think of Cura?

Keep calm and use all slicers. Cura, slic3r, kisslicer, mattersomething, you don't have to stick to one. I regularly get mad at the slicer I use and switch to some other then go back, etc. ;-) Also sometimes depending on the nature of the part you're printing you may chose different slicer. Embrace the whole wonderful world of slicers ;-)
October 20, 2015 08:57AM
More upgrades.

I was sick of my probe binding and not working properly, so made a piece of metal like this, with a piece of teflon tube inside it:

It gets attached to the effector like this:

It works quite well, no more binding, the guide really helps to keep the allen key where it should be. Now I just need to upgrade to the RC of marlin-dev to actually use the thing!

Someone smarter than me would probably use a 3D printed piece. But I am impatient, and had the aluminium handy...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/20/2015 08:58AM by nebbian.
October 20, 2015 11:58AM
nebbian
More upgrades.

I was sick of my probe binding and not working properly, so made a piece of metal like this, with a piece of teflon tube inside it:

[attachment 64425 IMG_4751.jpeg]

[attachment 64426 IMG_4752.jpeg]

It works quite well, no more binding, the guide really helps to keep the allen key where it should be. Now I just need to upgrade to the RC of marlin-dev to actually use the thing!

Someone smarter than me would probably use a 3D printed piece. But I am impatient, and had the aluminium handy...

I was just entertaining the idea of integrating PTFE tube into something printed. Good to know it works. But my part will be different anyway because I use something based on this — [www.thingiverse.com] — because I have e3d hotend and can't use the hole you use.
October 20, 2015 01:14PM
You might also want to consider using my IR probe instead of the mechanical one. See [miscsolutions.wordpress.com] for details.

Large delta printer [miscsolutions.wordpress.com], E3D tool changer, Robotdigg SCARA printer, Crane Quad and Ormerod

Disclosure: I design Duet electronics and work on RepRapFirmware, [duet3d.com].
October 20, 2015 01:33PM
dc42
You might also want to consider using my IR probe instead of the mechanical one. See [miscsolutions.wordpress.com] for details.

Thanks, David, I'm already considering it for quite a while now. ;-)
October 20, 2015 02:18PM
hacker
dc42

Thanks, David, I'm already considering it for quite a while now. ;-)
I can highly recommend DC42's probe (I am just about to order a third one)

Doug
Anonymous User
October 20, 2015 03:01PM
hacker

Keep calm and use all slicers. Cura, slic3r, kisslicer, mattersomething, you don't have to stick to one. I regularly get mad at the slicer I use and switch to some other then go back, etc. ;-) Also sometimes depending on the nature of the part you're printing you may chose different slicer. Embrace the whole wonderful world of slicers ;-)

Just gave Slic3r one last try.... Version 1.1.7
G-Code says: ; perimeters extrusion width = 0.40mm
Measured: 0.49mm

Never ever Slic3r 1.2.x anymore
October 20, 2015 04:03PM
dc42

I have been hesitant on the IR probe for one reason. I do not know how to program my Marlin firmware to accept the IR signal? Can you give us the code?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/20/2015 04:20PM by DRTak.
October 20, 2015 04:40PM
You don't need to change Marlin at all to use the IR probe. Use the same firmware configuration that you would use for a normally closed microswitch, i.e. active high signal and pullup resistor enabled.

See the instructions I linked to earlier for what bed surfaces do and don't work with the IR sensor.

Large delta printer [miscsolutions.wordpress.com], E3D tool changer, Robotdigg SCARA printer, Crane Quad and Ormerod

October 20, 2015 04:49PM
Sir_Death
Just gave Slic3r one last try.... Version 1.1.7
G-Code says: ; perimeters extrusion width = 0.40mm
Measured: 0.49mm

Never ever Slic3r 1.2.x anymore

You are expecting too much. The extruded filament would ideally have a perfectly rectangular cross section. In practice, it bulges at the sides and is thinner at the top and bottom, by an amount that varies with the filament, extrusion temperature, print speed, cooling etc. The slicer cannot predict the amount of bulging.

For the same reason, the thin wall test is not a good way to calibrate the required extrusion factor, unless you only ever print thin walls.

October 20, 2015 06:16PM
OK being a Newbee to 3d Printing I have 2 questions to throw out there
1. Why blow air over the heatbed while printing ?
2. I managed printing without the Z Probe completely using bed leveling for fine tuning. Why is The Z Probe needed when a G28 Removes it.?
October 20, 2015 08:57PM
dc42
You don't need to change Marlin at all to use the IR probe. Use the same firmware configuration that you would use for a normally closed microswitch, i.e. active high signal and pullup resistor enabled.

See the instructions I linked to earlier for what bed surfaces do and don't work with the IR sensor.

Ok. Im very interested but I have a silly question. I have always wanted to do the z probe auto deploy trick. Can this IR probe make that happened? Or how does it all work?
October 21, 2015 02:38AM
DRTak
dc42

Ok. Im very interested but I have a silly question. I have always wanted to do the z probe auto deploy trick. Can this IR probe make that happened? Or how does it all work?

The reason why all those electronic switches ( IR, conductive, inductive ) are so popular is the fact, that they don't need to be deployed/retracted.
Depending on the bed material, they trigger a few mm before anything get's in contact with the bed ( including the nozzle ).
-Olaf
October 21, 2015 02:43AM
theda1
2. I managed printing without the Z Probe completely using bed leveling for fine tuning. Why is The Z Probe needed when a G28 Removes it.?

1. Not exactly heatbed, the object is being cooled. PLA plastic needs to be cooled down after it's extruded so it keeps its shape. Especially when the new layer is extruded on top of it and it's pressed down.

2. It's a matter of luck and quality, unless you're unnaturally lucky you will probably find Z-probe useful soon. That said, I have been printing so far and haven't yet made Z-probe work reliably ;-)
October 21, 2015 02:44AM
theda1

1. It's a compromise between no cooling and cooling the part with a fan attached to the effector ( which adds weight )

2. Usually you send g28 and then g29, not the other way round. If you are happy with your prints, you can skip g29.
-Olaf
October 21, 2015 02:51AM
o_lampe
1. It's a compromise between no cooling and cooling the part with a fan attached to the effector ( which adds weight )

Olaf, I think I've read somewhere analysis of extruder vs platform fan some time ago (can't find it now). I remember the main disadvantage of the platform fan was moving target (it was about prusa i3) which is not the case for delta. I also can think of heater being cooled but it can probably be shielded. Do you know how much of a compromise it is? And if there are any advantages? I'm thinking of what's the best now…
October 22, 2015 07:46AM
nebbian

[attachment 64425 IMG_4751.jpeg]

[attachment 64426 IMG_4752.jpeg]

It works quite well, no more binding, the guide really helps to keep the allen key where it should be.

Actually, z-probe allen key should go through opposite hole in hot-end mount. I.e, in aluminum mounts this hole even has smaller diameter then others, and it definitely points on the fact that this hole is not for screw.

If it still stuck (mine is not) you can drill this hole (in the mount and the effector) and insert PTFE tube there.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/22/2015 07:53AM by GrAndAG.
October 22, 2015 08:31PM
GrAndAG

Actually, z-probe allen key should go through opposite hole in hot-end mount. I.e, in aluminum mounts this hole even has smaller diameter then others, and it definitely points on the fact that this hole is not for screw.
[attachment 64508 hot-end_mount_z-probe_hole.jpg]

If it still stuck (mine is not) you can drill this hole (in the mount and the effector) and insert PTFE tube there.

Well I'll be...

You're almost certainly right, and I have the piece all ass-backwards. Oh the joys of following various instructions downloaded from the net somewhere that don't quite marry up.

Thanks for the post, hopefully this helps someone else when they're building their kit.
October 23, 2015 06:45AM
nebbian
Thanks for the post, hopefully this helps someone else when they're building their kit.

But sintron kit doesn't have this part, does it?
October 23, 2015 07:46AM
hacker
Sintron kit does have this part. It's slightly different in shape because it incorporates fan mount. But it still recognizable from the picture above. Here it is:

October 23, 2015 07:49AM
GrAndAG
hacker
Sintron kit does have this part. It's slightly different in shape because it incorporates fan mount. But it still recognizable from the picture above. Here it is:

[attachment 64575 sintron_hot-end_mount.jpg]

Yeah, what I meant is that it differs greatly from the one on your picture? IIRC, in particular it's much thinner? Though I don't remember anymore, since I use e3d hotend I had to redo that part completely and not sure where the old part is (if it's not in trashbin).
October 23, 2015 08:03AM
hacker
IIRC, in particular it's much thinner?
The thickness is generally the same (the plastic one is even a bit thicker). Because they both should match the mounting slot at the hot-end.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/23/2015 08:04AM by GrAndAG.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login