Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Ebay SINTRON Kossel Mini full kit

Posted by Miamicraft 
Re: Ebay SINTRON Kossel Mini full kit
December 06, 2015 08:30AM
ohfurryone
However when auto-calibrating from pronterface it begins by probing the middle of the bed then twice in one spot near Z tower, then drives itself into the bed. I've already tried inverting all of the endstop logic settings but nothing works.
If you use a MarlinFirmware/Marlin avoid to touch the bed at [0,0,0]. Increase Z_RAISE_BEFORE_PROBING. [0,0,0] is not the first point to probe.
December 06, 2015 08:41AM
ohfurryone
Hello everyone, I'm new to the forums here.

I recently brought a Sintron Kossel kit last week to see if it would be any good for what I need and I have spent since then trying to calibrate the printer.

I've so far read 8 tutorials and I believe I have set everything correctly, all the measurements are correct. However when auto-calibrating from pronterface it begins by probing the middle of the bed then twice in one spot near Z tower, then drives itself into the bed. I've already tried inverting all of the endstop logic settings but nothing works.

Perhaps someone knows what I'm doing wrong or perhaps maybe someone can upload a recent working version of the firmware? Any help would be appreciated, thanks.

I think you got your x y and z motor wires backwards. I did this multiple times. I suggest you recheck your wires. The color system that Sintron has on their PDF is not right. Its different. Check your wiring by using hooking up the wires. Then using the manual movement mode to test direction of movement. In your case, your z motor is backwards likely.
December 06, 2015 02:44PM
I was trying to use Marlin master instead of 1.04, however using 1.04 doesn't seem to help. It probes each place randomly 3-10 times along the X axis only moving on the Y axis once, then hits the bed after 30-40 probes. The steppers seem to be wired correctly as the printer homes fine.

Trying to dry-print a test cube (with 1.04) results in the X tower plowing it's carriage into the base, the other two towers stop at what appears to be half way.

There doesn't seem to be an option for Z_RAISE_BEFORE_PROBING in this firmware version, although it does raise a little before probing each time. I set the probe retraction end points to Z levels 20 then 40 but it still hits the bed after it's weird erratic probing dance.

I measured the offsets from the picture somewhere in this topic as opposed to Sintrons manual. I've uploaded my configuration.h file to see if anyone can see anything wrong as I am at a loss for what to do.
Attachments:
open | download - Configuration.h (25.3 KB)
December 06, 2015 03:48PM
ohfurryone
I was trying to use Marlin master instead of 1.04, however using 1.04 doesn't seem to help. It probes each place randomly 3-10 times along the X axis only moving on the Y axis once, then hits the bed after 30-40 probes. The steppers seem to be wired correctly as the printer homes fine.

Trying to dry-print a test cube (with 1.04) results in the X tower plowing it's carriage into the base, the other two towers stop at what appears to be half way.

There doesn't seem to be an option for Z_RAISE_BEFORE_PROBING in this firmware version, although it does raise a little before probing each time. I set the probe retraction end points to Z levels 20 then 40 but it still hits the bed after it's weird erratic probing dance.

I measured the offsets from the picture somewhere in this topic as opposed to Sintrons manual. I've uploaded my configuration.h file to see if anyone can see anything wrong as I am at a loss for what to do.

I think I know what you might be talking about. After the system is done probing with an analog probe, it moves the effector into retract probe mode. My system, the probe crashes into my bed in an arc fashion. I was able to fix this when I raised the z probe height. I think it was in the config.h file. Open config.h. And use the sintron PDF to show you where to change the z probe retract code. Change the code like you did from 20 to 40. Or in my case 50 or 60. this should help
December 06, 2015 03:57PM
dc42
By default, the firmware will let you go down to -0.5mm on a delta.

If after auto calibration the heights are inconsistent, that probably means that you have an inconsistent trigger height for the IR sensor. This can be caused by the bed surface not being sufficiently uniform, but on a delta printer a common cause is that the effector is tilting slightly as it translates in the XY plane. Because the sensor is offset from the nozzle, this causes the relative heights of the nozzle and sensor to change.

To verify that this is what is happening, lower the nozzle so that it is just touching the bed, then use feeler gauges to measure the height of the bottom edge of the sensor board above the bed. Repeat at different probe points.

To minimise the effect of tilt on the trigger height, place the sensor as close to the nozzle as you reasonably can.

If tilt is causing trigger height differences as great as 1mm, then you have a lot of it and you need to improve your build. Here are some common causes of varying effector tilt:

1. Diagonal rods in a parallel pair are not quite the same length. If you can discern any difference sin the length of the rods, you can sort them into length order and then pair them, so that the rods in each pair are as close to equal lengths as possible. Or make new rods, using a jig to get them all the same length.

2. The bearing spacing is not quite the same at the top of a pair of parallel rods as it is at the bottom. Depending on the design, you may be able to use shims or washers under some of the joints to equalise the spacing.

3. The lines between the pairs of bearings on the 3 carriages do not intersect at 120 degree angles (or the bearing lines on the effector are not at 120 degree angles, but that is less likely). I had that problem because I had one extra 0.5mm washer between a carriage and one of its three wheels. It caused a height variation of about 0.25mm.

4. The carriages are rotating as they move up and down, because the wheels or linear sliders are too loose.

Once you have reduced the trigger height differences to reasonable proportions, you can correct for the differences using the H parameter on the G30 commands in bed.g. You don't need to print a calibration piece, that is for orthogonal axis correction.

HTH David

UPDATE: David you are right. In the end its effector tilt near the edge of the bed during probing.

I fixed some other issues. The carriage bearing to bearing distances were off by .6mm. I shimmed them to all be 40mm wide. At the effector, the distance between the bearings was also off. I shimmed them to be 40mm. The base of the kossel was loose. I think from heatbed heating the aluminum frame and then loosening the plastic corners. I tightened them. Also the motor screws were all loose. I tightened them. To avoid any issue with the wiring on top of the effector causing more tilt. I connected some velcro straps to hold it in the center. The carriages themselves were a little loose. I tighted all of them.

Now, I have to find a way to get the IR sensor closer to the nozzle without too much heat build up on the IR sensor itself.
December 06, 2015 04:00PM
ohfurryone, looked into your config...
Not related to your issue: #define TEMP_SENSOR_BED 1
Double check you can archive ±85 for X/Y axes with 250mm height. I hardly can exceed ±65 with 204 height (but I'm not using Sintron's rods).
Try to reduce acceleration to 1000 at first: #define DEFAULT_MAX_ACCELERATION {1000,1000,1000,1000} Steppers could probably skip steps.
Also it could be fault driver. Try to exchange it and see.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/07/2015 04:50AM by GrAndAG.
December 06, 2015 09:28PM
ohfurryone

I explicitly talked about MarlinFirmware/Marlin not RichCattell/Marlin. Sorry.
December 07, 2015 02:08PM
Does anybody know what is the amperage rating for our stepper motors? I googled by the model name (SL42STH40-1204A) and found many different specs: 1.2A, 1.33A, 1.68A, 1.7A. Which one (if any) is correct?
I want to play with Vref and for that I wish to know actual drive characteristics.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 12/07/2015 02:10PM by GrAndAG.
December 07, 2015 03:43PM
IR SENSOR

I have placed the IR sensor within 2mm of the heater block. ie I cannot get it any closer or the IR electronics would touch the heater block. So I have tested and tested and tested and its still a mess.

1st auto calibration. My z probe was off by X Y Z Center : -0.5, -.2, -.85, and -1.15
2nd auto calibration my z probe was off by x -.3, y 0, z -.85, and center of -1.15

I decided to try the H parameter. I put those error z values into G30 H parameter codes as below:

G30 P0 X-73.6 Y-42.5 Z-99999 H-0.3; X tower
G30 P1 X0 Y-85 Z-99999 ; between X and Y towers
G30 P2 X73.6 Y-42.5 Z-99999 H-0.2 ; Y tower
G30 P3 X73.6 Y20 Z-99999 ; between Y and Z towers
G30 P4 X0 Y67 Z-99999 H-0.85 ; Z tower
G30 P5 X-73.6 Y20 Z-99999 ; between Z and X towers
G30 P6 X-36.8 Y-21.25 Z-99999 ; half way to X tower
G30 P7 X36.8 Y-21.25 Z-99999 ; half way to Y tower
G30 P8 X0 Y42.5 Z-99999 ; half way to Z tower
G30 P9 X0 Y0 Z-99999 H-1.15 S6 ; centre, and auto-calibrate 6 factors

Now after reloading the bed.g file and auto calibrating. I get worse errors. The center of the bed is now off by -1.5. The outer towers are off by -.8 or more. Did I not type in the correct H values?

I painted the entire aluminum bed black with a sharpie marker. Removed all of the H corrections from the G30 bed.g file.

Now after running auto calibration I get somewhat consistent auto calibrations numbers. They are off by 0.25 +/- every time. How Do I correctly input the H correction values into the config.g file so that I can have a nice leveled bed?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/07/2015 05:35PM by DRTak.
December 07, 2015 03:56PM
Ahh, sorry about that AnHardt I see now there are other versions.

I switched to MarlinFirmware/Marlin but now I can't do G29 or 30 from pronterface and it still plows the nozzle into the base between Y and Z towers when running a print. Is the print bed center for a delta at 0,0?

The bed diameter and max height settings in the config I uploaded were fixed before trying anything.

I have so far:
Swapped out the X tower driver
Triple checked all measurements
Raised the Z-Probe retract heights

I'm starting to worry that maybe the Megas memory is bad sad smiley
December 07, 2015 06:27PM
hacker
DRTak
Way back I 3d printed the circular Mercedes sign calibration part. Then laser printed the matching *.pdf. It said impossibly that x tower was 120 deg y tower was 121deg and 120 deg on z tower. For a total of 361 deg. So if my build is not true 120 deg from each other will this be causing these errors. How can I double check ? Or fix it?

I don't think it could possibly say that. It doesn't say anything about Z-tower, you're supposed to align the object so that Z-tower is zero degrees and then if one is 120 and the other is 121, then the third angle is 119. That object/pdf give you basically the angles between Z and X and Z and Y.

Anyway, I've had similar problem with one part of the bed being somewhat (not as bad as your case) lower than the other and so I suspected tilt — I've redone rods, but if my hands were so reliable I wouldn't need 3d printer! So I suspect its rods. Though David's list of things to check is really precious piece of advice I still need to follow.

Meanwhile, what I've done now is I've calibrated, then went to all the points equipped with the sheet of paper and based on the difference added H to each bed.g's point. And it looks like it did help! Maybe David can comment whether the procedure is sane and useful for others or it has just helped me because of sheer luck ;-)

Hacker,
I did change the bed.g file to add the H paramenter. But it didnt work. I assume I did it wrong. Can u give me an example of what the G30 code looks like with an H parameter in it?

Right now for example the center of my bed is always off by -.2 after auto calibration. My z tower is off by -.25. I just want it all to be 0. LOL. At least get my center of the bed zero. That would start things in the right direction
December 07, 2015 06:32PM
DRTak
hacker
DRTak
Way back I 3d printed the circular Mercedes sign calibration part. Then laser printed the matching *.pdf. It said impossibly that x tower was 120 deg y tower was 121deg and 120 deg on z tower. For a total of 361 deg. So if my build is not true 120 deg from each other will this be causing these errors. How can I double check ? Or fix it?

I don't think it could possibly say that. It doesn't say anything about Z-tower, you're supposed to align the object so that Z-tower is zero degrees and then if one is 120 and the other is 121, then the third angle is 119. That object/pdf give you basically the angles between Z and X and Z and Y.

Anyway, I've had similar problem with one part of the bed being somewhat (not as bad as your case) lower than the other and so I suspected tilt — I've redone rods, but if my hands were so reliable I wouldn't need 3d printer! So I suspect its rods. Though David's list of things to check is really precious piece of advice I still need to follow.

Meanwhile, what I've done now is I've calibrated, then went to all the points equipped with the sheet of paper and based on the difference added H to each bed.g's point. And it looks like it did help! Maybe David can comment whether the procedure is sane and useful for others or it has just helped me because of sheer luck ;-)

Hacker,
I did change the bed.g file to add the H paramenter. But it didnt work. I assume I did it wrong. Can u give me an example of what the G30 code looks like with an H parameter in it?

Right now for example the center of my bed is always off by -.2 after auto calibration. My z tower is off by -.25. I just want it all to be 0. LOL. At least get my center of the bed zero. That would start things in the right direction

I would comment already if I had something to say… My bed.g looks pretty much like yours except for it has, of course, different numbers. Just one thing — it took me some considerable mental effort to decide on the sign of H-values, could it be that you reversed the sign of adjustment? Also, keep in mind that David didn't confirm that my adjustment procedure is sane ;-)

Another difference is at the moment I calibrate using four points because with my current layer cooling solution I can't reasonably close to columns… But I wouldn't expect it to positively affect my calibration ;-)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/07/2015 06:34PM by hacker.
December 07, 2015 08:11PM
Hacker thanks for getting back to me. I got the center to be zero finally. I auto calibrated 4 times. Now it is zero. But the outer towers are still off. But at least they are off by the same amount roughly.

I got the numbers to be roughly the same by shutting the lights off in the room? I installed LED light bulbs and maybe thats the issue. So i just shut off the light in the room. Calibrated and it looks like the numbers are close every time. Even though they are not zero.

My H value is say -0.3. Thats because my Y tower is off by -.3. Meaning I have to push it down into the bed by -.3 to grip paper? So did I do it right?
December 08, 2015 03:20AM
DRTak
Hacker thanks for getting back to me. I got the center to be zero finally. I auto calibrated 4 times. Now it is zero. But the outer towers are still off. But at least they are off by the same amount roughly.

I got the numbers to be roughly the same by shutting the lights off in the room? I installed LED light bulbs and maybe thats the issue. So i just shut off the light in the room. Calibrated and it looks like the numbers are close every time. Even though they are not zero.

My H value is say -0.3. Thats because my Y tower is off by -.3. Meaning I have to push it down into the bed by -.3 to grip paper? So did I do it right?

Sounds to me that you have the wrong sign for your H parameters. The principle is:

1. Measure the Z probe trigger height at each probe point. One way is to lower the head so that it just grips a piece of paper, send G92 Z0, raise the head 5mm, send G30 S-1, and read the height off the web interface or using M114.

2. Set the G31 trigger height to the trigger height you measured at the centre of the bed.

3. At the other probe points in bed.g, set the H parameter to the trigger height at that point minus the trigger height at bed centre.

Large delta printer [miscsolutions.wordpress.com], E3D tool changer, Robotdigg SCARA printer, Crane Quad and Ormerod

Disclosure: I design Duet electronics and work on RepRapFirmware, [duet3d.com].
December 10, 2015 06:16AM
Thought I'd get back to everyone who offered me help and say thanks, I've managed to get it printing quite well now.

All the fuss was caused by several issues at once, old firmware, power cable too long corrupting the mega and on my last attempt I switched to expert mode in slicer and didn't realise the bed type would reset. Long power cables caused the most issues, the voltage drop from a long wire on a good PSU was causing the cheap one that came with the kit to spike. It is now nicknamed smokey.

Also, the $10 green Scotch tape also works quite well, enough to nearly pick up the printer.
December 10, 2015 10:03AM
does anyone know if the sintron extrusions are compatible with the robotdigg metal corners?
December 10, 2015 10:46AM
Hi Guys!
I built a fan duct with 2 fans for the hotend (finally found a more or less suitable one on thingiverse). One for the heatsink, one for the nozzle/object. The heatsink fan gets power directly from the psu, the object cooler is connected to the default port on the ramps ( i think its c4?) In f.e. Cura I can configure that the fan should start after 2mm print-high or so to prevent warping. But the fan (formerly heatsink fan) obviously ignores it and gets full speed all the time when the printer gets power. Could somebody please give me a hint where to configure this? I think it should be in the firmware somewhere, but I cannot find anything related to this.

thank you
December 10, 2015 05:33PM
Rossini
does anyone know if the sintron extrusions are compatible with the robotdigg metal corners?
Yes, they are. Sintron's extrusions are standard 2020 extrusions. And metal corners are for 2020 standard extrusions also.
But you will need M5 screws and nuts because mounting holes in Robodigg's corners are 5mm.

--- Message added ----

MrPCatt
... the object cooler is connected to the default port on the ramps ( i think its c4?) [snip] But the fan obviously ignores it and gets full speed all the time when the printer gets power. Could somebody please give me a hint where to configure this? I think it should be in the firmware somewhere, but I cannot find anything related to this.
I connected board controlled fan to D9 (it's a big connector between heat-bed and hot-end connectors) and I definitely can control it from g-code.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 12/10/2015 06:09PM by GrAndAG.
December 10, 2015 07:58PM
dc42
DRTak

Sounds to me that you have the wrong sign for your H parameters. The principle is:

1. Measure the Z probe trigger height at each probe point. One way is to lower the head so that it just grips a piece of paper, send G92 Z0, raise the head 5mm, send G30 S-1, and read the height off the web interface or using M114.

2. Set the G31 trigger height to the trigger height you measured at the centre of the bed.

3. At the other probe points in bed.g, set the H parameter to the trigger height at that point minus the trigger height at bed centre.

I have been messing around with the H parameters all day long. I finally have it close enough. Not zero zero zero zero like I would like.

Nozzle is 0.35 above the bed after auto calibration (ie not zero)
X tower is -0.10
Y tower is -0.05
Z tower is -0.40

Now after I do multiple auto calibrations. Those numbers just rotate around. So The nozzle may be 0.05. The Y tower will be 0.35 etc. It is never just zero, zero, zero, and zero. Oh well
Anonymous User
December 11, 2015 03:35AM
DRTak

I have been messing around with the H parameters all day long. I finally have it close enough. Not zero zero zero zero like I would like.

X tower is -0.10
Y tower is -0.05
Z tower is -0.40

Now after I do multiple auto calibrations. Those numbers just rotate around. So The nozzle may be 0.05. The Y tower will be 0.35 etc. It is never just zero, zero, zero, and zero. Oh well

Sounds to me, your Endstops are not repeatable triggering at the exact same height - I have the same issue and I'm just waiting for Hall-Sensors to arrive http://notanumber.net/archives/66/upgrading-my-reprap-with-cheap-hall-effect-sensors
December 11, 2015 05:29AM
Rossini

I replaced the printed corners of my Kossel 800-delta with robotdiggs corners and found the horizontal dimensions were a bit smaller afterwards.
The aluminum heatspreader that used to fit between the horizontal extrusions, now overlaps the extrusion by a few mm.

I other words, the tower distance to center will be lower afterwards. I'm using Ultibots MiniKossel corners, but thought it was worth mentioning...
December 11, 2015 09:30AM
Sir_Death
DRTak

X tower is -0.10
Y tower is -0.05
Z tower is -0.40

Sounds to me, your Endstops are not repeatable triggering at the exact same height - I have the same issue and I'm just waiting for Hall-Sensors to arrive http://notanumber.net/archives/66/upgrading-my-reprap-with-cheap-hall-effect-sensors

Yet another upgrade. How do you wire the Hall sensor to the duet board? Is it the same as the mechanical endstops?

I am going to try and slow down the movement of the carriages. Maybe it is going too fast. Right now its F3000.
December 11, 2015 10:59AM
Ordinary endstop microswitches are adequate if they are used correctly and they are of good quality. I suggest you do some tests to see what the repeatability is. Here is one such test:

1. Create a copy of your bed.g file, with S-1 on the last G30 command instead of S6 (assuming S6 is what you are using). Make sure it includes a G28 command near the beginning to home the printer before probing.

2. "Print" that file several times from the console in the web interface or from Pronterface. Each time, it will display the probe error at each point. Are those errors consistent?

btw if you are adjusting travel speeds, the travel speed between probe points is set by the T parameter in the M558 command in config.g.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/11/2015 11:00AM by dc42.

Large delta printer [miscsolutions.wordpress.com], E3D tool changer, Robotdigg SCARA printer, Crane Quad and Ormerod

December 11, 2015 02:10PM
dc42
Ordinary endstop microswitches are adequate if they are used correctly and they are of good quality. I suggest you do some tests to see what the repeatability is. Here is one such test:

1. Create a copy of your bed.g file, with S-1 on the last G30 command instead of S6 (assuming S6 is what you are using). Make sure it includes a G28 command near the beginning to home the printer before probing.

2. "Print" that file several times from the console in the web interface or from Pronterface. Each time, it will display the probe error at each point. Are those errors consistent?

btw if you are adjusting travel speeds, the travel speed between probe points is set by the T parameter in the M558 command in config.g.

I will get working on that. I did some more testing. And I now have repeatable numbers. The nozzle height is always 0.6 (point at which it grips paper) at the center of the bed. X tower height is always 0.2 (point at which it grips paper). The Y (point at which it grips paper) and Z (point at which it grips paper) tower now rotate different numbers ranging from -0.1 to 0.6. I stopped chaning my H parameters. There has to be a solution for this.

In the interim, I will try your G30 trick which is below:

Attempt to move the head of a delta printer before homing the towers
SENDING:G28
Bed probe heights: 0.755 -1.786 -0.845 -2.798 2.075 -0.371 -0.878 -1.033 0.497 0.594, mean -0.379, deviation from mean 1.332
Bed probe heights: 0.730 -1.786 -0.833 -2.798 2.062 -0.383 -0.865 -1.033 0.497 0.581, mean -0.383, deviation from mean 1.326
Bed probe heights: 0.730 -1.773 -0.820 -2.798 2.062 -0.383 -0.865 -1.033 0.497 0.581, mean -0.380, deviation from mean 1.324

This is my pronterface bed.g report after 3 auto calibrations. The numbers look repeatable.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 12/11/2015 02:47PM by DRTak.
December 11, 2015 03:08PM
Something is not right. You have some very large probe errors there. In particular, you have a large jump from -2.8mm to +2.07mm at points P3 and P4, that I presume are adjacent. What are the coordinates of P3 and P4? Does the nozzle height really change by nearly 5mm when the head moves between those points?

I don't know where your probe points are, but I fed the height errors into my calibration calculator at [escher3d.com] using the suggested 10 probe points, and it suggested adjustments that reduce the deviation to 0.84mm - which is still very large, but better.

December 11, 2015 03:42PM
dc42
Something is not right. You have some very large probe errors there. In particular, you have a large jump from -2.8mm to +2.07mm at points P3 and P4, that I presume are adjacent. What are the coordinates of P3 and P4? Does the nozzle height really change by nearly 5mm when the head moves between those points?

I don't know where your probe points are, but I fed the height errors into my calibration calculator at [escher3d.com] using the suggested 10 probe points, and it suggested adjustments that reduce the deviation to 0.84mm - which is still very large, but better.

Here is my bed g file.
G30 P0 X-73.6 Y-42.5 Z-99999 H-0.40 ; X tower
G30 P1 X0 Y-85 Z-99999 H0.28 ; between X and Y towers
G30 P2 X73.6 Y-42.5 Z-99999 H-1.0 ; Y tower
G30 P3 X73.6 Y20 Z-99999 H1.75 ; between Y and Z towers
G30 P4 X0 Y67 Z-99999 H-1.2 ; Z tower
G30 P5 X-73.6 Y20 Z-99999 H0.51 ; between Z and X towers
G30 P6 X-36.8 Y-21.25 Z-99999 H0.85 ; half way to X tower
G30 P7 X36.8 Y-21.25 Z-99999 H0.63 ; half way to Y tower
G30 P8 X0 Y42.5 Z-99999 H0.36 ; half way to Z tower
G30 P9 X0 Y0 Z-99999 S-1 ; centre, and auto-calibrate 6 factors

I do not know how those probe points above match up to the ones that I gave you for pronterface?

I also included my config.g file and homedelta.g file just in case.

So for your website calculator. I just put those new numbers into config.g M665?

Oops. I see that it already does the command line info for you on the calculator. Smart.

Just to make it easier. I have removed all of my H parameters. I started from scratch. NO H paramenters. NO XY Z corrections. I redid the auto calibrations 3 times. The only benefit was that now my numbers are always the same. But again they are not all zero.

6:18:02 PMG32
Bed probe heights: 0.222 -0.585 0.659 0.692 0.812 -0.102 -0.479 0.534 0.577 0.521, mean 0.285, deviation from mean 0.478
6:13:40 PMG32
Bed probe heights: 0.222 -0.560 0.671 0.692 0.824 -0.090 -0.491 0.521 0.590 0.521, mean 0.290, deviation from mean 0.477
5:58:06 PMG32
Bed probe heights: 0.197 -0.585 0.659 0.680 0.812 -0.090 -0.479 0.521 0.577 0.521, mean 0.281, deviation from mean 0.475

I think I will start adding H parameters now.

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 12/11/2015 07:30PM by DRTak.
Attachments:
open | download - config.g (3.5 KB)
open | download - homedelta.g (671 bytes)
December 12, 2015 12:33AM
dc42

At the Y and Z tower. The nozzle is way off. I didnt exactly measure the difference but it might be around 5mm Z height off. I am not using a glass bed. I am using the original Sintron Heatbed made of aluminum.
December 12, 2015 05:05AM
DRTak
dc42

At the Y and Z tower. The nozzle is way off. I didnt exactly measure the difference but it might be around 5mm Z height off. I am not using a glass bed. I am using the original Sintron Heatbed made of aluminum.

Are you trying to use my IR sensor with a bright aluminium target? If so, it won't give accurate results. The aluminium reflects light too strongly and saturates the sensor, and small scratches have a big effect. You can tell this is happening because the Z probe reading will be greater than 1000, instead of about 465 just before triggering and about 535 after.

So I suggest you do one of the following:

1. Use a different bed surface. One possibility would be to put BuildTak on top of your aluminium. Another would be to paint the aluminium black and put glass on top of it. A third is to put PEI sheet painted black underneath on top (see my blog). Or you may find that putting Kapton tape on top is enough.

2. Use a different type of Z probe. An inductive sensor will work against aluminium without glass on top, but will be larger than the IR probe.

3. Don't use a Z probe at all. Measure the nozzle height error at each probe point. Then either enter the figures into my online calculator, or into the bed.g file. If putting them into the bed.g file, put them as the Z parameters of the probe points instead of Z-99999 on the G30 commands.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 12/12/2015 05:08AM by dc42.

December 12, 2015 07:50AM
dc42
DRTak
dc42

Are you trying to use my IR sensor with a bright aluminium target? If so, it won't give accurate results. The aluminium reflects light too strongly and saturates the sensor, and small scratches have a big effect. You can tell this is happening because the Z probe reading will be greater than 1000, instead of about 465 just before triggering and about 535 after.

So I suggest you do one of the following:

1. Use a different bed surface. One possibility would be to put BuildTak on top of your aluminium. Another would be to paint the aluminium black and put glass on top of it. A third is to put PEI sheet painted black underneath on top (see my blog). Or you may find that putting Kapton tape on top is enough.

2. Use a different type of Z probe. An inductive sensor will work against aluminium without glass on top, but will be larger than the IR probe.

3. Don't use a Z probe at all. Measure the nozzle height error at each probe point. Then either enter the figures into my online calculator, or into the bed.g file. If putting them into the bed.g file, put them as the Z parameters of the probe points instead of Z-99999 on the G30 commands.

I as using aluminum bed that I sanded then painted the bed black. Basic flat black painted bed.

I started from scratch Config.g file and bed g file back to the original default. So to get stable numbers (but not zero). I did 3 auto cal. Went back to your calculator and put in the new corrections into config.g. Then I put in the new numbers for H parameter for bed.g. I want to run several auto cals to see if the numbers are still stable. If so I will adjust the H parameters to get closer to zero.

But I like option 1. That is what I have been doing. Either Kapton or Uhu sticks. But since I painted the bed black and the surface is clean. I have not printed a single part or added anything (kapton) to the top of the bed plate. I just want my auto cal to be close to zero before starting.

So if I get a glass bed. Will your IR sensor detect the difference in height of the glass after it shoots a beam to the black bed surface below. I have been hesitant on getting the glass bed because of heating issues.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/12/2015 07:52AM by DRTak.
December 12, 2015 08:37AM
If the bed is matt black and you have no glass on top of it, then you may not get good results from the sensor, because matt black paint will probably not reflect enough IR. The sensor will work on a dark grey surface such as BuildTak, but not black. I recommend matt black paint on the aluminium when you will be putting glass on top of it, because then the sensor can see the reflection from the top surface of the glass without being swamped by a stronger reflection from the aluminium below.

Remember, the only purpose of the H parameters is to account for different trigger heights of the Z probe at different points on the bed. So only use H parameters if you measure the probe trigger height at each point, as I described at [forums.reprap.org]. However, if you get differences in trigger height greater than about 0.2mm then it probably means that you have serious effector tilt, and you need to fix that first.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login