Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Ebay SINTRON Kossel Mini full kit

Posted by Miamicraft 
Re: Ebay SINTRON Kossel Mini full kit
January 11, 2016 05:12PM
Tha_Reaper
Because i can change esteps on the fly with the LCD without the need for reslicing. For some reason, when i change the flow setting to 80 (i assume this is 80%) with the LCD, nothing comes out of the nozzle anymore, so i'm not sure that setting does whats it's supposed to do (or that i understand how it works for all i know...)
I was planning on just writing the correct number of e-steps and temperature settings on all my spools and setting it on the LCD before starting a print so that i can use the same sliced model for multiple spools.

Sounds like a reason. Not sure about setting flow on the LCD which I don't have, I haven't played with that even the browser (you're on the duet, right?). I change it in the slicer.
January 11, 2016 05:13PM
nebbian
o_lampe
lloydy
Is the ArduinoMega not fast enough?

It is definitely the first bottleneck you will encounter, when you have your printer tuned and try to print faster. Circles are the worst.
Any 32bit controller will do, but IMHO Duet boards with DC42s firmware are best for deltas.
-Olaf

Don't drink the kool-aid.

Marlin/Ramps works fine and makes lovely circles.

There are way more effective ways to upgrade the machine, imo.

It's also a matter of speed. Not sure how you compare upgrades, but it sure isn't the only way to upgrade.
January 11, 2016 05:15PM
hacker
Tha_Reaper
Because i can change esteps on the fly with the LCD without the need for reslicing. For some reason, when i change the flow setting to 80 (i assume this is 80%) with the LCD, nothing comes out of the nozzle anymore, so i'm not sure that setting does whats it's supposed to do (or that i understand how it works for all i know...)
I was planning on just writing the correct number of e-steps and temperature settings on all my spools and setting it on the LCD before starting a print so that i can use the same sliced model for multiple spools.

Sounds like a reason. Not sure about setting flow on the LCD which I don't have, I haven't played with that even the browser (you're on the duet, right?). I change it in the slicer.
I'm on the good old ramps here. IMO 32 bit is needed for really fast and complex printing... If I print complex models, I print it slow. And if I print fast, there are not much curves in that model
January 11, 2016 05:21PM
Tha_Reaper
hacker
Tha_Reaper

I'm on the good old ramps here. IMO 32 bit is needed for really fast and complex printing... If I print complex models, I print it slow. And if I print fast, there are not much curves in that model

Ah, I assumed that if you feel comfortable it must be touchscreen ;-) I like duet not so much because of the speed, but because of the other firmware features.

Isn't everything a curve on delta?
January 11, 2016 05:26PM
hacker

Isn't everything a curve on delta?
I guess you are right on that one but long segments are easier to calculate compared to many short ones. I can see a noticeable slowdown when printing something like many small circles above 80mm/s

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/11/2016 05:30PM by Tha_Reaper.
January 11, 2016 06:31PM
nebbian
o_lampe
lloydy
Is the ArduinoMega not fast enough?

It is definitely the first bottleneck you will encounter, when you have your printer tuned and try to print faster. Circles are the worst.
Any 32bit controller will do, but IMHO Duet boards with DC42s firmware are best for deltas.
-Olaf

Don't drink the kool-aid.

Marlin/Ramps works fine and makes lovely circles.

There are way more effective ways to upgrade the machine, imo.

I am not associated with dc42 but honestly I have had 2 "fires" with the RAMPS setup. I am glad that my house didnt burn down. First time was the polyfuse. Caught on fire. But I was there to put it out. 2nd time was in the garage. The MOSFET caught on fire. But again, it was cold and the fight got put out in time. Only those 2 items were fried. Board wasnt damaged. I do not see any tall mosfets or Polyfuses on the duets. Looks pure solid state to me. I had a fan blowing on the stepper chips of the duet but see no need. So I used that fan presently as a object cooling fan.If I ever make an enclosure that will fit my space I will put a fan on the duet chips.

This not a made up story but a known issue with RAMPS. You have to have a large fan blowing on the RAMPS at all times.

So far with the duet this is not the case.

But yes, the RAMPS is capable of making circles. And it works thats why its sold with the Sintron kit.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 01/11/2016 06:41PM by DRTak.
January 12, 2016 03:38AM
Tha_Reaper
Well this is new.... i have been happily printing ABS at 230 degrees with my 104 esteps for the extruder...
I bought 2 new spools of ABS and i had to change the temperature to 250 degrees... not that weird.... but i also had to change the esteps to 84 before it started to print remotely decent. I really have no idea whats going on. i measured the diameter of the filament, and its slightly bigger (1.83mm vs the 1.72mm of my old filament), but thats not enough to explain the 20% difference in e-steps. I'm still far from happy with the result by the way. could be really bad filament, or something else is going on.

My best guess is, your drive gear grips the filament at a different portion of the hobbed part with a bigger diameter.
January 12, 2016 03:45AM
Maybe my observations about Ramps and deltas were biased by the DRV8825 drivers. 1/32 microstepping is much nicer and less noisy, but slows down the printer even more.
BTW: also straight lines need to be chopped in segments with Marlin.

My apologies for sounding like a salesman.
-Olaf
January 12, 2016 05:15AM
I've never blowing to my RAMP and it's still ok. Yes, I know, it's not capable to provide enough current for heated bed, I checked it - on full ratio (255) the polyfuse gets hot and just slowly stops working after a while. With 100/255 PWM it works without any issue, but temperature can reach 65C only. So, I wired the bed through Solid State Relay and my RAMPS is absolutely cold, heat-sinks on stepper drivers are the most hot parts, and even they are easily touchable by fingers.

BTW, from my observation, it prints faster (no noticeable slow downs at random places) if it prints directly from SD-card, not from USB port.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/12/2016 05:19AM by GrAndAG.
January 12, 2016 05:22AM
GrAndAG
I've never blowing to my RAMP and it's still ok. Yes, I know, it's not capable to provide enough current for heated bed, I checked it - on full ratio (255) the polyfuse gets hot and just slowly stops working after a while. With 100/255 PWM it works without any issue, but temperature can reach 65C only. So, I wired the bed through Solid State Relay and my RAMPS is absolutely cold, heat-sinks on stepper drivers are the most hot parts, and even they are easily touchable by fingers.

The sintron's polyfuse was particularly bad for me, I have bq hephestos and it's never overheated (after heat bed upgrade, before that it definitely had no reason towinking smiley). Sintron only worked with the fan blowing directly to the polyfuse, but instead of using SSR (which sounds like a fine solution) I just replaced the polyfuse and it's solved the problem. I'm on the duet now, but the heated bed problem was solved by changing fuse for me back then.
January 12, 2016 09:36AM
gkr
Hello GrAndAG,

GrAndAG

Hmm... Tried both 1.1.7 and 1.2.9. And could not find any significant differences in printing results. Both of them produce good g-code.
Do you mind posting a dump of the "full" Slic3r config from your 1.1.7 setup?

I would like to compare a few things with what I have.

Much appreciated.

Regards.

Configs for both Slic3r versions are attached (they are almost identical).
Attachments:
open | download - Slic3r-1.1.7-config.ini (5 KB)
open | download - Slic3r-1.2.9-config.ini (6.3 KB)
gkr
January 12, 2016 11:43AM
GrAndAG - Thank you for the Slic3r configs.
January 12, 2016 12:22PM
had to reply to this one, get rid of polyfuses and install automotive fuses before board and all connectors, the first chinese connector cant even carry 2 amps - i soldered direct to board
also use real heat sink epoxy for stepper drivers and heatsinks. I also installed a heatsinks on mosfets. and definitely a 80mm fan cooling ramps at all times
January 12, 2016 12:39PM
GrAndAG

BTW, from my observation, it prints faster (no noticeable slow downs at random places) if it prints directly from SD-card, not from USB port.

Well let me rephrase. I had the heat issue when I turned the heatbed on and the hotend on. It must have overloaded the polyfuse. After that, I installed an inline fuse and it cured the problem. Well, I decided to print off the SD card slot on the LCD in RAMPS configuration. I had the machine outside in the winter. I had a new issue. The new inline fuse didnt blow. The MOSFET near the power out of the RAMPS caught on fire and melted itself to the power out of the RAMPS. It was cold so the fire put itself out. So I bought a new RAMPS and put in a heatsink attached to the MOSFET. Then to solve anymore issues, I placed a large 50mm fan over the MOSFET 24/7 blowing when I was printing.

This is a known issue if you search the forums.
January 12, 2016 12:43PM
Have to ask this question again.

When I home after I first power up my machine, the Y tower carriage crashes into the endstop. It keeps ramming itself into the y endstop and wont stop. I have to hit emergency stop . Then wait. Hit HOME again. It rams itself back into the carriage. Maybe after 5min of waiting, ALL carriages hit their appropriate endstops. Then it HOMES normally.

Any ideas why my machine would do that?
January 12, 2016 12:46PM
DRTak

When I home after I first power up my machine, the Y tower carriage crashes into the endstop. It keeps ramming itself into the y endstop and wont stop. I have to hit emergency stop . Then wait. Hit HOME again. It rams itself back into the carriage. Maybe after 5min of waiting, ALL carriages hit their appropriate endstops. Then it HOMES normally.

What do you mean "it rams itself back into the carriage"? Anyway, I had problem similar to that, but that was specific to my own screwup which was the contact of one of the endstop wires… Check how well it works using M119… (don't just rely on the led lighting up). Of course you may have different problem…
January 12, 2016 12:55PM
Many thanks to all for your advice, You're all very polite, but I before make my next moove i have to clear my head.. I have this kind of rod arms from SIntron:

Rod Arms

I believe they are ok maybe the problem could be on my effector, the original one provide with sintron, that doesn't work well with rod arms? In my attachments you will se what I mean.

Thanks again
Attachments:
open | download - 1.jpg (37.1 KB)
open | download - 2.jpg (53 KB)
January 12, 2016 01:05PM
Yes, the end of the Sinton rods are too big and they clash. Traxxas ends are smaller and they will not interfere with each other
January 12, 2016 01:38PM
lucawow
Many thanks to all for your advice, You're all very polite, but I before make my next moove i have to clear my head.. I have this kind of rod arms from SIntron:

Rod Arms

I believe they are ok maybe the problem could be on my effector, the original one provide with sintron, that doesn't work well with rod arms? In my attachments you will se what I mean.

Thanks again

This is what you already have and this is not what you want. This can probably be solved with another effector and carriage (moreover, they did send me the updated STLs for effector and carriage and proposed that they mail me replacement part, but having another printer I opted in for printing myself instead of waiting). Partially. Basically, it was like the new parts increased printing radius by 10mm or so… So you may try this way (in which case just contact sintron), but I'd recommend that you skip this step and go for traxxas instead.
January 12, 2016 02:46PM
hacker
DRTak

What do you mean "it rams itself back into the carriage"? Anyway, I had problem similar to that, but that was specific to my own screwup which was the contact of one of the endstop wires… Check how well it works using M119… (don't just rely on the led lighting up). Of course you may have different problem…

Well what happens is, the Y tower carriage goes up to the endstop but doesnt stop. It just tries to keep going up. It goes up so far that the belt starts to slip because it can go any higher. When I test with M119 it says STOPPED. But for some reason it wants to keep going up. I have a duet and I have changed the ground to power and vice versa for the Y endstop leads but this does not fix the issue.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/12/2016 03:04PM by DRTak.
January 12, 2016 03:10PM
DRTak
hacker
DRTak

Well what happens is, the Y tower carriage goes up to the endstop but doesnt stop. It just tries to keep going up. It goes up so far that the belt starts to slip because it can go any higher. When I test with M119 it says STOPPED. But for some reason it wants to keep going up. I have a duet and I have changed the ground to power and vice versa for the Y endstop leads but this does not fix the issue.

I was confused by the wording, thought it does something different…

M119 normally says "at max stop" or "not stopped". I assume by "stopped" you mean "at max stop". In which case it may be something with your "homedelta.g"? but then I don't quite understand why would it finally home alright… I'd start with manually invoking homedelta.g commands, maybe axis by axis… But I assume dc42 is the one who can give you meaningful advice…
January 12, 2016 06:31PM
hacker
DRTak
hacker
DRTak

I was confused by the wording, thought it does something different…

M119 normally says "at max stop" or "not stopped". I assume by "stopped" you mean "at max stop". In which case it may be something with your "homedelta.g"? but then I don't quite understand why would it finally home alright… I'd start with manually invoking homedelta.g commands, maybe axis by axis… But I assume dc42 is the one who can give you meaningful advice…

Sorry at max stopped I mean.
Anonymous User
January 13, 2016 09:27AM
@DRTak:

Sounds to me you have some kind of contact-problem, self-healing when the machine is warm.
Check all the soldering Points for this endstop, check all the connectors, eventually endstop-switch is damaged - do you have a spare one to check? - or exchange with another towers endstop - by doing this part by part and watching, if the error goes with the part or stays at the tower, you may find the faulty contact/part...
January 13, 2016 09:32AM
Sir_Death
@DRTak:

Sounds to me you have some kind of contact-problem, self-healing when the machine is warm.
Check all the soldering Points for this endstop, check all the connectors, eventually endstop-switch is damaged - do you have a spare one to check? - or exchange with another towers endstop - by doing this part by part and watching, if the error goes with the part or stays at the tower, you may find the faulty contact/part...

DRTak says that M119 properly reports endstop status… But nonetheless, good reminder indeed, sintron kit has 6 endstops whereas you only need 3.
January 13, 2016 01:57PM
Sir_Death
@DRTak:

Did all of the above. Repleaced the y endstop wires with new set. Replaced endstop with spare Sintron one. Still have ramming issue. Very odd.

I decided to install a new line of code for the homing function. I made it go slow for the last 170mm. So first line of code was S1 X150 Y150 Z150 3500, Second line was S1 X170 Y170 Z170 1000

That way when it gets close to the top, the carriages slow down to make good contact with the endstops. It kinda helps. Still rams into the endstop at first boot. But it appears that the extra line of code helps the issue to self resolve faster that without it.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/13/2016 02:06PM by DRTak.
January 13, 2016 03:20PM
DRTak
Sir_Death
@DRTak:

Did all of the above. Repleaced the y endstop wires with new set. Replaced endstop with spare Sintron one. Still have ramming issue. Very odd.

I decided to install a new line of code for the homing function. I made it go slow for the last 170mm. So first line of code was S1 X150 Y150 Z150 3500, Second line was S1 X170 Y170 Z170 1000

That way when it gets close to the top, the carriages slow down to make good contact with the endstops. It kinda helps. Still rams into the endstop at first boot. But it appears that the extra line of code helps the issue to self resolve faster that without it.

Whether those are "last 170mm" depends on where the carriage was before you started homing and I think it's very likely that it is normally almost homed when you do that for the first time after power on… So it's not likely that it could've helped… But the bottom line is — I don't know what's going on sad smiley
January 13, 2016 03:23PM
DRTak
Sir_Death
@DRTak:

Hmm… My homedelta.g has "G1 S1 X360 Y360 Z360 F2500" which significantly slower than 3500.
January 13, 2016 03:24PM
Very true. What I do when the machine is off, I manually pull the effector to zero. Then turn the machine on. then let it home. So it can go the whole distance of towers. But Im still lost as to why it would do that.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/13/2016 03:25PM by DRTak.
January 13, 2016 03:27PM
DRTak
Very true. What I do when the machine is off, I manually pull the effector to zero. Then turn the machine on. then let it home. So it can go the whole distance of towers. But Im still lost as to why it would do that.

That makes homing procedure slower than just decreasing homing feedrate ;-) BTW, be careful manually moving effector, do it slowly. Not sure about the duet, but ramps stepper drivers used to die of heart attack if you do that quickly.
January 13, 2016 06:01PM
DRTak
Sir_Death
@DRTak:

I've only just noticed that you are talking about Duet electronics. Here's what I suggest:

The usual cause of motors not stopping during homing is that the motors and endstops do not correspond, for example because the X and Y endstop wires are swapped. So try the following test:

1. Test the endstop switches individually using M119, making sure that it reports "at max stop" for the correct switch when you press it.

2. With the motors off, slowly push the carriages up to the endstops and make sure that each carriage triggers the switch reliably (as confirmed using M119) before it jams against the switch body. If you are using wheeled carriages, make sure they cannot rotate to as to avoid triggering the switch.

3. Test the motors individually to make sure that commands to the XYZ motors move the correct motor. For example, if you place all the carriages 10mm below the endstops, then sending G91 followed by G1 S1 X20 F500 should move the X carriage up 20mm, butg it should stop at the endstop. Again, make sure it is the correct motor that moves.

Large delta printer [miscsolutions.wordpress.com], E3D tool changer, Robotdigg SCARA printer, Crane Quad and Ormerod

Disclosure: I design Duet electronics and work on RepRapFirmware, [duet3d.com].
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login