Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Ebay SINTRON Kossel Mini full kit

Posted by Miamicraft 
Re: Ebay SINTRON Kossel Mini full kit
January 22, 2016 02:05AM
You must not have pronterface connected, or Marlin will not upload. Latest arduino sdk works fine, just as the latest Marlin version. I would recommend starting with 1.1.0 RC2 immediately instead of calibrating with an old version and then having to update and going through the process again
January 22, 2016 02:19AM
Noitome
I am unable to find 1.0.6 but have already tried 1.0.5. Also I tried following the troubleshooting duide and it got me taking off the mega and trying the blink script without anything attached. That worked. Though now I have reattached everything the LCD doesn't display anything anymore, it goes on but no text whatsoever. I have pressed the reset button on the mega, but is this normal? Also the upload is still failing. Does anybody know what I could do next?
smiling smiley

Had the compiling errors in newer versions and time out error in the old 1.0.5 version. and now the LCD is blank. It did also show scrambled text yesterday which was odd but went back to normal text after reconnnecting to the now it's all gone moment today.
You must not have pronterface connected, or Marlin will not upload. Latest arduino sdk works fine, just as the latest Marlin version. I would recommend starting with 1.1.0 RC2 immediately instead of calibrating with an old version and then having to update and going through the process again.
If you would like my Marlin config as a base, just ask and I'll upload it

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/22/2016 02:19AM by Tha_Reaper.
January 22, 2016 03:54AM
So I'll uninstall pronterface then. I would love to have your Marlin config as a base. Please do upload it. Do you think this will also get text back on the LCD screen? Or could that be some other problem that arose with the disconnecting and reconnecting of the Mega to the ramps 1.4a?
What could be the cause of the LCD problems anyway? Is it maybe because I pressed the reset button? Was there already something on the Mega that caused the text to appear in the first place and did that maybe get deleted by pressing the reset button?.

Also I tried installing arduino 1.6.7 on another computer and then upload the firmware sintron provided and still got the same exit 1 error while there was no pronterface on that computer. The file which you will upload, that Marlin config, is that a substitute of the firmware they provided?
I'm sorry for all these questions, I'm totally new in all this and have no clue about what I'm doing from the moment the physical assembly ended. sad smiley
January 22, 2016 04:09AM
Noitome
So I'll uninstall pronterface then.
You absolutely do not need to uninstall it. Just make sure Pronterface is not connected when you are uploading firmware. It even can be running (but disconnected) when you uploading firmware from Arduino IDE.

As for working firmwares, you can find them attached to one of my posts on previous page of this thread.

As for LCD... Upload the firmware first. It seems that your "blinking script" you uploaded lastly just does not know how to operate with LCD. smiling smiley

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 01/22/2016 04:15AM by GrAndAG.
January 22, 2016 07:38AM
Tried all the suggestions given only I still get error messages with the most prominent one being: time out communicating with programmer. Even tried it on a different laptop while the power supply was plugged in sad smiley. Even had trouble uploading the blink test, but that solved itself by plugging in the power supply I think. But I'm not sure about anything anymore except that it's not working. sad smiley

What programmer should be selected under tools? Maybe the issue could be somewhere in there? Though that wouldn't explain the blink script working once.

Not at my printer at the moment, but I believe the exact error message was:
avrdude: stk500v2_getsync(): timeout communicating with programmer

I'm googling it all, but if there is a quick fix from someone who had a similar problem I would be very greatfull spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 01/22/2016 07:49AM by Noitome.
gkr
January 22, 2016 07:49AM
Hello Noitome,

Noitome
I am unable to find 1.0.6 but have already tried 1.0.5. Also I tried following the troubleshooting duide and it got me taking off the mega and trying the blink script without anything attached. That worked. Though now I have reattached everything the LCD doesn't display anything anymore, it goes on but no text whatsoever. I have pressed the reset button on the mega, but is this normal? Also the upload is still failing. Does anybody know what I could do next?
smiling smiley

Had the compiling errors in newer versions and time out error in the old 1.0.5 version. and now the LCD is blank. It did also show scrambled text yesterday which was odd but went back to normal text after reconnnecting to the now it's all gone moment today.

You can find the Arduino 1.0.6 IDE in both EXE installer and Zip versions here, on the Arduino website:
[www.arduino.cc]

Once you have installed the above version, check if the firmware will compile using the "verify" option in the Arduino IDE.

Then before compiling and downloding the firmware, afew basic things to check (you probably are already aware, but just making sure):
- In the device manager do you see the Arduino Mega associated with a COM Port?
- Make sure you have selected the above COM port for the Serial-Port option (under the Tools Drop-down).
- Also, make sure that the Board (under Tools drop-down) is set to "Arduino-Mega 2560 or Mega ADK".

Finally, in my case I am using the RepRapDiscount Full Graphics controller for the LCD, so I have had to install the "U8glib" under the Arduino Libs.

For the LCD, check if the cabling is correct (see attached picture). And then adjust the pot on the back for the contrast.

Hope that helps.

Thanks.
Attachments:
open | download - LCD_wiring.jpg (52.1 KB)
gkr
January 22, 2016 08:11AM
Hello Everyone,

So, I finally got my E3Dv6-Lite Hot-end assembled and installed.

Also, took the opportunity to clean up all of the wiring from before.

Getting very good results, and I'm very pleased with the way the prints look now.

Just thought I'd share my experience.

Thanks.
Attachments:
open | download - E3Dv6-Lite Hot-end Installed-1.jpg (484.8 KB)
open | download - E3Dv6-Lite Hot-end Installed-2.jpg (481.2 KB)
open | download - Calibration_Test_Prints_After_E3DV6_Lite_Installed.jpg (425.4 KB)
January 22, 2016 08:18AM
gkr
Hello Everyone,

So, I finally got my E3Dv6-Lite Hot-end assembled and installed.

Also, took the opportunity to clean up all of the wiring from before.

Getting very good results, and I'm very pleased with the way the prints look now.

Just thought I'd share my experience.

Thanks.

Looks great!
gkr
January 22, 2016 08:39AM
Thank you, hacker.

The one thing I wanted to mention is that the connector that E3D provides to connect the PTFE tube to the extruder motor, won't fit the extruder provided by Sintron.

And I had trouble getting the ones out of the tubing that came with the Sintron hot-end. So although I would have preferred to use the tube that came with the E3D, I was unable to do so, and ended up reusing the tube with the extruder side connector from Sintron.

Later yesterday, I figured out how to remove the connector from the tube. It's kind of tricky and requires a bit of knack and luck.

Are the brass connector(s) that Sintron provides easy to find? If so, to get some spare what do I search for?

Any insight on that would be greatly appreciated.

Regards.
January 22, 2016 09:11AM
Tha_Reaper
Noitome
smiling smiley

You must not have pronterface connected, or Marlin will not upload. Latest arduino sdk works fine, just as the latest Marlin version. I would recommend starting with 1.1.0 RC2 immediately instead of calibrating with an old version and then having to update and going through the process again.
If you would like my Marlin config as a base, just ask and I'll upload it
[thareaper.stackstorage.com]
Note that i do not use a z-probe, so those settings will be rubbish.
January 22, 2016 10:02AM
gkr
Thank you, hacker.

The one thing I wanted to mention is that the connector that E3D provides to connect the PTFE tube to the extruder motor, won't fit the extruder provided by Sintron.

And I had trouble getting the ones out of the tubing that came with the Sintron hot-end. So although I would have preferred to use the tube that came with the E3D, I was unable to do so, and ended up reusing the tube with the extruder side connector from Sintron.

Later yesterday, I figured out how to remove the connector from the tube. It's kind of tricky and requires a bit of knack and luck.

Are the brass connector(s) that Sintron provides easy to find? If so, to get some spare what do I search for?

Regards.

I think the connectors should be relatively easy to find (depending, of course, on where you are, but more or less any 3d-related shop in europe has them). But when changing the hotend you don't have to even touch the extruder end of the tubing…
January 22, 2016 01:36PM
I GOT IT MOVING!!! spinning smiley sticking its tongue outsmiling bouncing smileyhot smiley smileys with beer OHYEAH!!!! so now for the next question. I wanted to use the Z probe so I used sintron´s firmware. Now I find out the heat bed is not heating op neither is the power supply making noise when turning it on in pronterface. Is this a firmware issue or wiring issue? smiling smiley
YES IT'S MOVING!!! HAHAAAA so happy grinning smiley thanks for all the help guys! Finally 1.0.6 seemed to work indeed and for mental easing purposes I disconnected the arduino mega from the ramps 1.4 in order to upload it. Now I don't know if that was necessary but it sure made pressing the reset button (which I did before uploading) a lot easier! smiling smiley The satisfaction, it's amazing! tongue sticking out smiley
January 22, 2016 01:59PM
Noitome, my congratulations.
When you switch heating bed on, one of LEDs located near to bed connector (near mosfet) will light up. So, check if it lights up. If it does not, check the correctness of outputs specification in firmware. If you took firmwares from this thread they should be configured properly.

Reset button... Never used it, actually. While calibrating I did dozens of uploads and never executed special procuders prior the process. Just disconnected Pronterface, pushed Upload button, waited for finish, switch to Pronterface, push connect button, check what I wanted to check, and repeat from the beginning. That's it.
January 22, 2016 05:30PM
SIntron has sent me this: [www.dropbox.com] is this how you guys hooked it up? I notice the fan being connected on a second hot end position and the power supply being hooked up double. How did you guys do it? Did you do double power supply hook up and fan on the second hot end connection or single power supply hook up and the fan on the board as is shown in the manual (at the spot just behind the big yellow blobs on the ramps 1.4(a)).
January 22, 2016 06:23PM
Noitome
SIntron has sent me this: [www.dropbox.com] is this how you guys hooked it up? I notice the fan being connected on a second hot end position and the power supply being hooked up double. How did you guys do it? Did you do double power supply hook up and fan on the second hot end connection or single power supply hook up and the fan on the board as is shown in the manual (at the spot just behind the big yellow blobs on the ramps 1.4(a)).
Connect power supply RAMPS using 2 pairs of wires (as in the manual).
Connect hot-end cooler directly to power supply.
Connect object cooling fan (if you build any) to "second hot-end" connector (D9).
January 22, 2016 07:12PM
gkr
Thank you, hacker.

Regards.

These ones work. You need one with an M6 thread, and sized to fit 4mm diameter tube.

[www.aurarum.com.au]
January 23, 2016 03:20AM
GrAndAG
Reset button... Never used it, actually. While calibrating I did dozens of uploads and never executed special procuders prior the process. Just disconnected Pronterface, pushed Upload button, waited for finish, switch to Pronterface, push connect button, check what I wanted to check, and repeat from the beginning. That's it.

That won't work when EEprom is enabled. When EEprom is enabled, you have to send M502 and M500 from Pronterface to load new firmware values into memory and store them in EEprom for daily use.
January 23, 2016 04:59AM
Now I'm even more confused. Two pairs of wires to the ramps 1.4 was never in my manual (I use manual version two) but it is in that Dropbox that I linked to.
So your manual had four wires (two pair) connected from the power supply to the ramps?
Could you maybe share your version of the manual? I don't have enough v+ and com ports for connecting two pairs and the fan. Maybe I got totally different power supply? I have one L, one N, one ground, two COM and two V+ ports. Should I maybe connect two pairs in one pair of COM and V+?

Another question, it safe to see if the heat bed works by connecting it directly to the power supply and checking if the led goes on?
January 23, 2016 05:18AM
Both the 5A and the 11A input should be connected to the (same) PSU. If you leave the 11A input not connected and only use the 5, the hotend and bed will not heat up.

You don't need seperate connections. Just plug in the wires together with other ones, but try to balance the load. For example: 5A and fan together on output 1, 11A on another output 2.

It is safe to connect the bed to the PSU directly.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/23/2016 05:21AM by Tha_Reaper.
January 23, 2016 09:16AM
Tha_Reaper
Both the 5A and the 11A input should be connected to the (same) PSU. If you leave the 11A input not connected and only use the 5, the hotend and bed will not heat up.

You don't need seperate connections. Just plug in the wires together with other ones, but try to balance the load. For example: 5A and fan together on output 1, 11A on another output 2.

Pray tell that if the BED is connected to the PSU Directly how on earth is the temperature controlled?
January 23, 2016 10:10AM
Oh I just needed that to see if the led would go on and the soldering was done right and appears to be smiling smiley. Now I'm reconnecting it to the ramps. And connecting the 11A as well.
January 23, 2016 11:10AM
dougal1957
Tha_Reaper

Pray tell that if the BED is connected to the PSU Directly how on earth is the temperature controlled?
Of course not for a long time or printing. Just for testing it's fine. See if the led is on, if it gets hot, and of there is no smoke or sprinklers and fire alarms going off.
January 23, 2016 12:42PM
Tha_Reaper
dougal1957
Tha_Reaper

Of course not for a long time or printing. Just for testing it's fine. See if the led is on, if it gets hot, and of there is no smoke or sprinklers and fire alarms going off.
It can be connected for long time, actually. The bed will just heat to some temperature (a bit more than 100 C) and keep this temp. Also, connecting to PSU and heating the bed up can help to get better soldering of wires to its pads. Really, it's much easier to solder its wires when the bed is hot.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/23/2016 12:42PM by GrAndAG.
January 23, 2016 01:49PM
Since this is still related to Sintron Kossel. I just wanted to let everyone know that I have discussed in length with DC42 the wiring of the Sintron Endstops. I had them configured wrong. Here is the link to get detailed info on wiring your Sintron endstop correctly.

[forums.reprap.org]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/23/2016 06:58PM by DRTak.
gkr
January 23, 2016 03:42PM
nebbian

These ones work. You need one with an M6 thread, and sized to fit 4mm diameter tube.

[www.aurarum.com.au]

Thanks, Nebbian.
January 23, 2016 03:45PM
GrAndAG
Also, connecting to PSU and heating the bed up can help to get better soldering of wires to its pads. Really, it's much easier to solder its wires when the bed is hot.

But then you to heat the bed you need the wires connected ;-) More seriously, wish I had this brilliant idea when I was soldering the bed wires.
January 23, 2016 06:41PM
Hi,

my carbon rods and traxxas ends arrived in the meantime. I can now print bigger parts without any binding. There is one huge problem that bothers me: The dimensions in the x-direction of my printer are too small. I just printed the duet case and it is 3mm too short in the x-direction ( the board won't fit into it sad smiley )
Y-direction and Z are all good or very good.
I rotated the model in slic3r 90 deg and confirmed that now the other side of the case is too short.
What can I do to get this right? I am using autocalibration and a level to make sure my bed and columns are 90deg. Apparently I am missing something.

Chris
January 23, 2016 06:53PM
If you are using a Duet and running my version 1.09r firmware on it, then you can use the M579 command (see [reprap.org]) to adjust the scaling. However, it's better if you can identify and correct the underlying geometrical problem with your printer. Start by checking that each pair of rods is matched in length between bearing centres, and that the spacing between bearing centres is the same at the carriage as it is at the effector, for each pair of rods.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/23/2016 06:56PM by dc42.

Large delta printer [miscsolutions.wordpress.com], E3D tool changer, Robotdigg SCARA printer, Crane Quad and Ormerod

Disclosure: I design Duet electronics and work on RepRapFirmware, [duet3d.com].
January 23, 2016 07:01PM
chris81
Hi,

my carbon rods and traxxas ends arrived in the meantime. I can now print bigger parts without any binding. There is one huge problem that bothers me: The dimensions in the x-direction of my printer are too small. I just printed the duet case and it is 3mm too short in the x-direction ( the board won't fit into it sad smiley )
Y-direction and Z are all good or very good.
I rotated the model in slic3r 90 deg and confirmed that now the other side of the case is too short.
What can I do to get this right? I am using autocalibration and a level to make sure my bed and columns are 90deg. Apparently I am missing something.

Chris
If you find a solution let me know. I have the same issue. I printed the duet case and the top to bottom height is ok. The depth is perfect. But the width is too small. I would also guess by 3mm. I did a trick to make it fit but I wouldnt advise. I used a blow dryer and heated the end that has the USB port opening in the case. I heated enough til it was flexible. Then I used a metal spatual to enlarge the case in the width direction. Now the duet fits into it. I have the same issue when I printed the paneldue case. It was too narrow to put the paneldue in. I did the same trick and used a blow dryer to heat up the side of the case. Then let it cool down. Now the panel due fits.
January 24, 2016 05:05AM
dc42
Start by checking that each pair of rods is matched in length between bearing centres, and that the spacing between bearing centres is the same at the carriage as it is at the effector, for each pair of rods.

I used a jig to glue the bearings to the rods. That should be fine. And I know that my effector spacing is lower than my carriage spacing (Sintron sent an effector that has only 38,5 mm spaces instead of 40). That is the main reason I want to get my x-axis working. To print a proper effector smiling smiley

I'll experiment with M579, thanks for the hint.

Chris
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login