Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Ebay SINTRON Kossel Mini full kit

Posted by Miamicraft 
Re: Ebay SINTRON Kossel Mini full kit
March 26, 2016 12:52PM
Actually, with e3d hotend, at least with original e3d fan shroud there's very little danger that effector will warp, even the lowest heatsink fins are cold to touch at all times. And I only replaced effector due to my insatiable appetite for improvements and urge to design ;-)
March 26, 2016 02:45PM
hacker
Actually, with e3d hotend, at least with original e3d fan shroud there's very little danger that effector will warp, even the lowest heatsink fins are cold to touch at all times. And I only replaced effector due to my insatiable appetite for improvements and urge to design ;-)

That might be the issue. The Sintron must be clones. If the fan goes out then the heat creeps up to the effector and warped the effector. I know it was hot inside the heatsink because the PTFE or PEEK tubing inside was melted.
March 26, 2016 06:40PM
DRTak
CrisCG
My Sintron effector warped as well. I got a ABS effector now, with the e3d v6 hotend.

CrisCG. Really yours warped too. How did you find out? Were you getting odd prints and you checked?

I have ABS moulded carriages which is fine because no real heat goes there. But Im afraid to buy, print, or have ABS printed/molded effector since I am going to experiment with exotic filaments. And they use high temps. I want to make sure that if a fan goes down, the effector wont warp again. So I am left with one solution. Metal.

From a cost point, this is the same price. I dont know why the nylon effector central hole has to be moveable? But I DID NOT get this one: [www.amazon.com]

The other high end one was this one. It has the electronic hookups prebuilt into the effector as well as an LED light. But cost too much and also made of nylon or glass fiber. [www.amazon.com]

There are some odd things about the Sintron machine that Im amazed no one has talked about. The machine at least mine is made with almost all M3 screws and nuts. The effector is M3. So if you google M3 metal effector very little comes up. The ones that do fit do not really fit. They have a 16mm central hole with a 13mm lip inside of the hole. Therefore the hotend cannot completely go through the effector. I have decided to buy one of these. But now there is no existing U mount groove plate to affix the hotend to the metal effector. NONE of the Kossel plates are 4.5mm in thickeness. So my solution was to cut the J head aluminum mounting plate that I had left over. It looks exactly like this: [www.amazon.com]

But again, this leaves me with no way to mount my IR sensor. I will have to find a solution for that.

It was not extremly bad, still was printing ok, but it was all wavy.

The sintron hotend is some sort of clone. But it doesn't look like wither V5 or V6, not exactly the same. Resembles more with the V5.

What you could do for an easy upgrade is get a V6 heat sink and a heat break. Optionally a lower profile nozzle (i didn't like the Sintron nozzle looks) and an alluminium block. You can keep the heater cartridge and termistor.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 03/26/2016 08:59PM by CrisCG.
March 27, 2016 06:40AM
Did anyone else encounter this issue? It prints ok, but it doesn't look ok for long term.

I guess the belt is not tight enough. Of course, i retightned it by hand as much as i could.
March 27, 2016 06:48AM
CrisCG
Did anyone else encounter this issue? It prints ok, but it doesn't look ok for long term.

I guess the belt is not tight enough. Of course, i retightned it by hand as much as i could.

Not at this scale, but my belts do wiggle a bit and I'm also not yet sure what it is about. I suspect it's steppers looking a bit upwards (exactly due to tightening the belts).
March 27, 2016 06:51AM
Oh, yes. I see it now. My bottom corners are starting to fail, they bended. The motor mounts that is. I'm going to print new corners. And i can also guess why this happened. Because i had some long prints in ABS and the bed is transfering heat to the frame, because of the Sintron provided solution of connectiong the heated bed to the frame with metal screws. The corners must have heated up and caused this issue.

I also printed some ABS bed holders that i'm going to install, so this will not happen again. But after i will have new corners. So, a total printer rebuild is comming.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 03/27/2016 07:35AM by CrisCG.
March 27, 2016 11:39AM
I think it might also be from the stepper motors running hot. I will install fans and i will try raising the printer on feet. Any other suggestions?

Also, are ABS corners a better option?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/27/2016 11:47AM by CrisCG.
March 28, 2016 09:00AM
I was interested in this kit, but after seeing this topic I am convinced that it is better to make a kit from scratch. more work but also a bit cheaper
maybe one rostock
March 29, 2016 03:46AM
I agree. If it's a first build, then it's better to go with a kit. If you did it before, you can build it from scratch and that is the best way. If you have access to a 3D printer already, you can make you own custom design.

I'm also building a new 3D printer. One that wil be able to use the hole 220mm bed, not just 160mm like the Sintron kit. They supply the 220mm bed, because the 170mm hexagonal bed is very expensive.
March 29, 2016 03:19PM
hi! i don't have any printer, but i have some robotic knowledge and community of 3d printer's is big help, i think winking smiley

seriously? he sell the printer like 200mm of impression diameter and it only makes 160mm?
March 29, 2016 03:50PM
StrikerofDeath
hi! i don't have any printer, but i have some robotic knowledge and community of 3d printer's is big help, i think winking smiley

seriously? he sell the printer like 200mm of impression diameter and it only makes 160mm?

Well, the farther you get horizontally the longer pushrods you need and therefore the more you lose along the Z axis. So yes, you just find the balance. In which case it's about 170mm. Having a bit smaller bed would be better indeed, but that doesn't make too much difference.
March 31, 2016 11:27AM
StrikerofDeath

Well, for me, Im glad I went the Sintron route. Even though the machine is completely not sintron anymore with the exception of 2020 rods. I would not be able to fix this machine if I didnt first start by building one with instructions. And every 3d printer has their experts. But for me, Im glad that I got a Kossel with DC42's backing the product with his own upgrades.
April 01, 2016 03:35PM
Well as promised, I finally found time to take pics of my "NEW" Sintron Kossel. The only remaining Sintron printed part is the Red extruder motor holder. It hasnt broken yet.

I gave it an aluminum industrial look.
All metal effector, all metal mounting plate, All metal Hexagon hotend, Custom IR holder for the hexagon. Found a stainless steel plate laying around so that is what I used to mount the PSU to the kossel. Now, I can move the whole unit at once. Before, I had to remove the PSU and remove the Duet from the Kossel to move it.

Here is a pic of the old Sintron unit.

April 01, 2016 05:14PM
Nice one. The "old" one isn't old enough to be sintron. Carriages are black, paneldue doesn't look sintronish too ;-)
April 01, 2016 10:11PM
hacker
Nice one. The "old" one isn't old enough to be sintron. Carriages are black, paneldue doesn't look sintronish too ;-)

Yeah you are right. That was my partial upgrade. The panel due and duet on top with wires hanging out everywhere. Now with nebbians feet/corner extension and your underbed brackets it looks cleaner. And yeah. The partial upgrade in that pic included ABS molded carriages.
April 03, 2016 06:30AM
DrTak, I like those feet! I also really like the way you've got a power button on board. That's planned for mine, but hasn't happened yet.

I've got all the parts for this fire suppression system, but haven't yet printed up a holder for it:
[forums.reprap.org]
April 03, 2016 09:33AM
The more I look at DRTak's pictures, the more I think of metal corners ;-)
April 03, 2016 03:35PM
nebbian
DrTak, I like those feet! I also really like the way you've got a power button on board. That's planned for mine, but hasn't happened yet.

I've got all the parts for this fire suppression system, but haven't yet printed up a holder for it:
[forums.reprap.org]

Yeah. Nebbian your feet corners are nice. I added what you said. Its rubber feet. I had some furniture movers laying around with a rubber base. I added them to the Kossel. The only issue is they are not silver or black. But oh well they work. And they do dampen the vibration.

hacker
The more I look at DRTak's pictures, the more I think of metal corners ;-)

Thanks hacker. I really like them. I had 3 choices. That is all that exists really. 1. These metal corners which I assume are made in china. Everyone sells these. ebay option 2. A custom USA one that is exceedingly expensive. But I think they are very very strong and foolproof. ebay listing 3. ABS molded ones. I opted not for the abs ones b/c I fear they will melt like my printed 3d corners did. Also, I didnt get ABS printed effector for the same reason. I know it will melt like my 3d printed abs effector did. ebay molded

I opted for choice #1. I didnt buy from that vendor. I paid more for a USA seller. But its the same thing.

The metal effector I bought is this one: One that I got It is a drop in replacement for the Kossel. The other ones will not be. They are all M4 screws. The effector for the Kossel is an M3. This is the only vendor that I could find in the USA that sold an M3 effector.

Next, I wish someone would sell that fire suppression system for the Kossel. I only say that because I have had at least 3 instances where my Ramps started to smoke. I have a duet now but you never know.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/03/2016 03:47PM by DRTak.
April 04, 2016 02:47AM
DrTak
Next, I wish someone would sell that fire suppression system for the Kossel. I only say that because I have had at least 3 instances where my Ramps started to smoke. I have a duet now but you never know.

Better save than sorry, they say.
But wouldn't it be better to take care of the ( known ) issues a RAMPS can have? Exchange MOSFETs, replace fuses with blade fuses, check the power connector and use crimped wires, etc...
April 04, 2016 05:11AM
o_lampe
DrTak

Better save than sorry, they say.
But wouldn't it be better to take care of the ( known ) issues a RAMPS can have? Exchange MOSFETs, replace fuses with blade fuses, check the power connector and use crimped wires, etc...

I agree. The only fire-capable part in the printer must be hot-end heater. Otherwise you have to attach fire suppression system to any electronics device in the house. winking smiley

In my case, the heat-bed fuse worked as intended. When it overheated it just temporarily broke the line. Without any visual effects. Then after a time connection was restored. And it happened to me many times until I reduced duty cycle and finally installed relay.
Yes, the RAMPS uses some components which are not capable to handle such load by design, but this is problem of all RAMPS boards in the market.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/04/2016 05:37AM by GrAndAG.
April 04, 2016 06:15AM
DRTak
Thanks hacker. I really like them. I had 3 choices. That is all that exists really. 1. These metal corners which I assume are made in china. Everyone sells these. ebay option 2. A custom USA one that is exceedingly expensive. But I think they are very very strong and foolproof. ebay listing 3. ABS molded ones. I opted not for the abs ones b/c I fear they will melt like my printed 3d corners did. Also, I didnt get ABS printed effector for the same reason. I know it will melt like my 3d printed abs effector did. ebay molded

I opted for choice #1. I didnt buy from that vendor. I paid more for a USA seller. But its the same thing.

The metal effector I bought is this one: One that I got It is a drop in replacement for the Kossel. The other ones will not be. They are all M4 screws. The effector for the Kossel is an M3. This is the only vendor that I could find in the USA that sold an M3 effector.

Thanks for the overview. Unfortunately, it's only of limited use for me since I'm in Europe (and also hate to deal with customs — that's why I bought sintron in the first place, because they had local warehouse), but this is something to work off.

As for the effector, I don't feel like getting the metal one, I keep experimenting with it. The last experiment being — [www.thingiverse.com] (in action —  [youtu.be] ).

But I also never felt the need. e3d hotend with e3d fan shroud is pretty cold. Previously I had PETG-printed effector, now it's PLA, maybe it will be worse with PLA, let's see.

I should think more about fire prevention, but so far I'm more or less around while it's printing, so I work as one winking smiley (and no, I didn't have to do anything about it yet).
April 05, 2016 10:19AM
hacker
DRTak

Thanks for the overview. Unfortunately, it's only of limited use for me since I'm in Europe (and also hate to deal with customs — that's why I bought sintron in the first place, because they had local warehouse), but this is something to work off.

As for the effector, I don't feel like getting the metal one, I keep experimenting with it. The last experiment being — [www.thingiverse.com] (in action —  [youtu.be] ).

But I also never felt the need. e3d hotend with e3d fan shroud is pretty cold. Previously I had PETG-printed effector, now it's PLA, maybe it will be worse with PLA, let's see.

I should think more about fire prevention, but so far I'm more or less around while it's printing, so I work as one winking smiley (and no, I didn't have to do anything about it yet).

Your PETG effector should have been better than the ABS one? It has a higher melting point?

Well as I said. The heat from my heatsink crept up and melted my ABS effector. The only issue I have with my metal effector is that it is not forgiving when you have a homing error. My IR sensor was tilted out too far and it didnt detect the glass plate. So it rammed into the bed again and thats not a good thing.

I was looking at a bunch of printed Kossel effectors that would incorporate 3 fans into a very small space but couldnt find one. Then it also had to have a spot for an IR probe. Once I got the metal effector, I started looking for fan shrouds but they are very limited for the Hexagon hotend. So I am stuck with stringing up my own contraption. I cound a very nice fan shroud just for the heatsink. But I have to figure a way to make the object fan shrouds to fit the Hexagon.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/05/2016 10:23AM by DRTak.
April 05, 2016 10:29AM
DRTak
Your PETG effector should have been better than the ABS one? It has a higher melting point?

Well as I said. The heat from my heatsink crept up and melted my ABS effector. The only issue I have with my metal effector is that it is not forgiving when you have a homing error. My IR sensor was tilted out too far and it didnt detect the glass plate. So it rammed into the bed again and thats not a good thing.

I was looking at a bunch of printed Kossel effectors that would incorporate 3 fans into a very small space but couldnt find one. Then it also had to have a spot for an IR probe. Once I got the metal effector, I started looking for fan shrouds but they are very limited for the Hexagon hotend. So I am stuck with stringing up my own contraption. I cound a very nice fan shroud just for the heatsink. But I have to figure a way to make the object fan shrouds to fit the Hexagon.

Not sure about PETG vs ABS, but what I meant is that it's definitely better than PLA that I have now and what original is.

I'm too much attached to snail-like blowers and I like the idea of circular duct, so I was working around that… Also when I think I can I prefer to design the thing rather than settle with compromise. Doesn't always yield the best results, admittedly ;-)
April 05, 2016 11:02AM
hacker
DRTak

Not sure about PETG vs ABS, but what I meant is that it's definitely better than PLA that I have now and what original is.

I'm too much attached to snail-like blowers and I like the idea of circular duct, so I was working around that… Also when I think I can I prefer to design the thing rather than settle with compromise. Doesn't always yield the best results, admittedly ;-)

Well I do like the circular duct around the nozzle like you have it. I just didnt want to print something like that since with PETG, the nozzle has goop around it. It would be hard to clean the goop off the nozzle.
April 05, 2016 11:44AM
DRTak
hacker
DRTak

Well I do like the circular duct around the nozzle like you have it. I just didnt want to print something like that since with PETG, the nozzle has goop around it. It would be hard to clean the goop off the nozzle.

I prefer circular duct that can be easily moved away from nozzle if I want to clean it. But I'm not yet completely satisfied with it…

BTW, what are softening temperatures for ABS and PETG? I wonder whether I should do my next attempt on the duct in ABS or PETG…
April 05, 2016 01:24PM
hacker
DRTak
hacker
DRTak

I prefer circular duct that can be easily moved away from nozzle if I want to clean it. But I'm not yet completely satisfied with it…

BTW, what are softening temperatures for ABS and PETG? I wonder whether I should do my next attempt on the duct in ABS or PETG…

I do not know the softening temp of those. But I have some real life experience with that issue. My IR Probe back cover ( to protect the electronics of the IR probe) was initally made of ABS. This started to warp and tilted the IR probe away from the nozzle. It warped from the heat of the nozzle and heatbreak. I re- printed it in PETG. NO issues whatsoever. No sign at all of warping.
April 05, 2016 03:24PM
DRTak
I do not know the softening temp of those. But I have some real life experience with that issue. My IR Probe back cover ( to protect the electronics of the IR probe) was initally made of ABS. This started to warp and tilted the IR probe away from the nozzle. It warped from the heat of the nozzle and heatbreak. I re- printed it in PETG. NO issues whatsoever. No sign at all of warping.

Aha! And the material was the only change?
April 05, 2016 06:39PM
Yeah. just changing material.

But on another note. I am having major issues printing in PLA. For me PETG is easier to print with. It seems that I cant get enough heated filament out of the nozzle. Doesnt make sense.

Oddly, this is a new nozzle and is exactly 0.4mm. My older hotend I mistakenly bore out too much and it was like a 1mm hole. Of course with that nozzle I was able to run my extruder at full speed. Now with my new hotend I am stuck figuring out new settings.
April 06, 2016 02:12AM
DRTak

But on another note. I am having major issues printing in PLA. For me PETG is easier to print with. It seems that I cant get enough heated filament out of the nozzle. Doesnt make sense.

Oddly, this is a new nozzle and is exactly 0.4mm. My older hotend I mistakenly bore out too much and it was like a 1mm hole. Of course with that nozzle I was able to run my extruder at full speed. Now with my new hotend I am stuck figuring out new settings.

Interesting. In my experience PETG is slower to print than PLA… It is easier to print without adequate object cooling, though.
April 06, 2016 11:35AM
hacker
DRTak

Interesting. In my experience PETG is slower to print than PLA… It is easier to print without adequate object cooling, though.

Yes for PETG it is slower than PLA. But with my new nozzle so far. I have to print PLA at the same speed as PETG. And even then it is too fast?

Maybe clogged nozzle. I have ordered a set of micro drills. Should arrive next week. It includes a .4mm drill bit.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/06/2016 11:48AM by DRTak.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login