Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

I am begging you for help with my Rostock Delta

Posted by TehStranger 
I am begging you for help with my Rostock Delta
August 06, 2015 08:11AM
I am pulling my hair out with this crap. There is so much to learn and I can not find any good information. This is the design I have [reprap.org]

Here are my problems:

When it's printing, the nozzle lifts when it goes near the towers even though I have calibrated each tower.

I measure 566.42mm from nozzle to bed but I have to set the Z_MAX_LENGTH to 264 otherwise it crashes into the bed if it is set any higher.

It prints objects WAY too big then they are supposed to be.

I have the jumpers on MS1, 2 and 3 pins.

I am using printed diagonal rods.

The gears on my motors are 40t and the belts are 2mm pitch 6mm width.

My glass bed is 8 inches squared

I have NEMA 17 motors on a RAMPS 1.4 board with StepStick A4988 drivers using Repetier - Firmware.

Here are the links to motors and drivers:

[www.ebay.com.au]

[www.ebay.com.au]

These are the guides I followed:

[minow.blogspot.co.at]

[forum.seemecnc.com]

I know I am asking for too much but I am hoping someone would be kind enough to help me out, I am really losing my mind working on this all week and getting no results.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/06/2015 08:17AM by TehStranger.
Attachments:
open | download - Configuration.h (26.2 KB)
Re: I am begging you for help with my Rostock Delta
August 06, 2015 08:53AM
TehStranger
When it's printing, the nozzle lifts when it goes near the towers even though I have calibrated each tower.

That means your delta radius needs to be increased in the firmware config. That will raise the nozzle height at the centre a lot, and the height near the towers a little. When you get the heights the same, reduce Z_MAX_LENGTH to place Z=0 on the bed.

TehStranger
I measure 566.42mm from nozzle to bed but I have to set the Z_MAX_LENGTH to 264 otherwise it crashes into the bed if it is set any higher.

40t is way too much. Use 16t or 20t. At 16t you need to set the axis steps per mm in the firmware to 100. For 20t use 80. For 40t you need 40 steps/mm, but your resolution won't be very good.

Large delta printer [miscsolutions.wordpress.com], E3D tool changer, Robotdigg SCARA printer, Crane Quad and Ormerod

Disclosure: I design Duet electronics and work on RepRapFirmware, [duet3d.com].
August 06, 2015 09:22AM
dc42
TehStranger

That means your delta radius needs to be increased in the firmware config. That will raise the nozzle height at the centre a lot, and the height near the towers a little. When you get the heights the same, reduce Z_MAX_LENGTH to place Z=0 on the bed.

TehStranger

40t is way too much. Use 16t or 20t. At 16t you need to set the axis steps per mm in the firmware to 100. For 20t use 80. For 40t you need 40 steps/mm, but your resolution won't be very good.

I will try that out. A little progress, I got the height correct - I had the steps set to 80 and as you said I needed to have it at 40.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/06/2015 09:31AM by TehStranger.
August 06, 2015 09:40AM
dc42
TehStranger

TehStranger

I got the centre level but now the towers are 2mm too high
August 06, 2015 09:41AM
As a rough guide, assuming you have your diagonal rod length configured correctly, you need to adjust your configured delta radius by about 2.2 times the height difference between the bed centre and near the towers. So about 4.4mm.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 08/06/2015 09:42AM by dc42.

Large delta printer [miscsolutions.wordpress.com], E3D tool changer, Robotdigg SCARA printer, Crane Quad and Ormerod

August 06, 2015 11:20AM
dc42
As a rough guide, assuming you have your diagonal rod length configured correctly, you need to adjust your configured delta radius by about 2.2 times the height difference between the bed centre and near the towers. So about 4.4mm.

Well I have the diagonal rod set to the default 250mm, isn't that correct? I'm using the printed ones.

What should my Y_MAX_LENGTH and X_MAX_LENGTH be set to?

At the moment my tower Z levels are 35.500 and centre is 33.900. My brain hit a dead end, I am lost as to what I have to do next. I offer my apologies for asking for so much help.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 08/06/2015 11:27AM by TehStranger.
August 06, 2015 12:32PM
TehStranger
Well I have the diagonal rod set to the default 250mm, isn't that correct? I'm using the printed ones.

So are your diagonal rods 250mm long, between bearing centres?

TehStranger
At the moment my tower Z levels are 35.500 and centre is 33.900. My brain hit a dead end, I am lost as to what I have to do next. I offer my apologies for asking for so much help.

I already told you to adjust the delta radius in the firmware to fix that.

August 06, 2015 12:56PM
dc42
TehStranger

So are your diagonal rods 250mm long, between bearing centres?

TehStranger

I already told you to adjust the delta radius in the firmware to fix that.

Yeah

I did. It is now at 170, any higher and the only thing that is happens is the print head moves further out of the bed, very minor height adjustments.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/06/2015 12:59PM by TehStranger.
August 06, 2015 02:13PM
Did you first calibrate the three endstops? What calibration instructions are you following? Just trying to figure out where to start, rather than everyone just throwing random numbers at it.....
August 06, 2015 09:54PM
vreihen
Did you first calibrate the three endstops? What calibration instructions are you following? Just trying to figure out where to start, rather than everyone just throwing random numbers at it.....

I am following these: [minow.blogspot.co.at]

[forum.seemecnc.com]

I keep repeating the steps but it is getting nowhere.
August 07, 2015 12:34PM
bump
August 07, 2015 01:00PM
TehStranger
bump

Here's a good video-tutorial using M666 and M665 command: [www.youtube.com]
August 07, 2015 01:18PM
Koenig
TehStranger
bump

Here's a good video-tutorial using M666 and M665 command: [www.youtube.com]

Damn I was just about to go to bed. I will try it out tomorrow and report back. Thank you.
August 14, 2015 07:28AM
Sorry guys I couldn't do any calibration because the printed gears wore out and I had to wait for my new aluminium ones to arrive. I have been trying to calibrate it for a few hours now and I'm still having issues. The centre is 3.9mm too high and I've tried adjusting the radius but nothing is changing, only the printable radius.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/14/2015 07:33AM by TehStranger.
August 14, 2015 07:51AM
Good morning,

Please post the following:

1) Your Configuration.h - Make sure that you implement all changes that you only made to EEPROM to that file [1]

2) A picture of your entire printer

3) A picture of your RAMPS looking down on it from a top view

4) Do the following commands:

G28
G1 X0 Y0 Z23.85

After you do those commands place a SD card (the normal big type) either under the nozzle. A sketch is shown here:

Take a picture of that from the side view much like I sketched it here. If the SD card does not fit under the nozzle you place it next to.

5) Do the following commands:

G28
G1 X40 Y0 Z23.85

After you do those commands you put the SD card again under the nozzle and take a new picture.

Post all photos at full resolution for us to see. I personally like google photos which by clicking the share button allows you to get a link to your album that you can quickly share here. Other sites are obviously also OK. Down sizing the photo to 800x600 or something is not OK.
August 14, 2015 08:18AM
LarsK
Good morning,

Please post the following:

1) Your Configuration.h - Make sure that you implement all changes that you only made to EEPROM to that file [1]

2) A picture of your entire printer

3) A picture of your RAMPS looking down on it from a top view

4) Do the following commands:

G28
G1 X0 Y0 Z23.85

After you do those commands place a SD card (the normal big type) either under the nozzle. A sketch is shown here:

Take a picture of that from the side view much like I sketched it here. If the SD card does not fit under the nozzle you place it next to.

5) Do the following commands:

G28
G1 X40 Y0 Z23.85

After you do those commands you put the SD card again under the nozzle and take a new picture.

Post all photos at full resolution for us to see. I personally like google photos which by clicking the share button allows you to get a link to your album that you can quickly share here. Other sites are obviously also OK. Down sizing the photo to 800x600 or something is not OK.

Thanks for responding. Here are the pictures and config.h as requested. I did not take a picture of the RAMPS because it is mounted underneath the printer and it is a pain to get access to but I assure you it is set up 100% correctly.

I feel like it's worth noting that all the pins underneath the A4988 drivers have jumpers in them.

I am also now using Marlin firmware.

[www.dropbox.com]

[www.dropbox.com]

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 08/14/2015 08:22AM by TehStranger.
Attachments:
open | download - config.h (37 KB)
August 14, 2015 08:45AM
Two things;

a)
In your config:

// Horizontal offset of the universal joints on the carriages.
#define DELTA_CARRIAGE_OFFSET 22 // mm

Please change that to:

#define DELTA_CARRIAGE_OFFSET 18 // mm

Upload that and ensure that it gets loaded to EEPROM. I am not familiar with Marlin so I do not know if that happens automatically when you flash. It would be easier for me to help if you went back to repetier but it is not critical.

b) I don't know if it is my Dropbox skills or what, but I can't seem seem to find a picture of the SD card and nozzle in center ( point 4 above where we centered the nozzle ( G28 ; G1 X0 Y0 Z23.85 )). I only see two photos (one of the printer and one of the nozzle at the side). Can you verify that you made a picture with the printer in center?

If you did not yet make the photo then please repeat both the centering and the nozzle at the side photo with the new config as per point (a) above.
August 14, 2015 08:48AM
LarsK
Two things;

a)
In your config:

#define DELTA_CARRIAGE_OFFSET 22 // mm

Please change that to:

#define DELTA_CARRIAGE_OFFSET 18 // mm

Upload that and ensure that it gets loaded to EEPROM. I am not familiar with Marlin so I do not know if that happens automatically when you flash. It would be easier for me to help if you went back to repetier but it is not critical.

b) I don't know if it is my Dropbox skills or what, but I can't seem seem to find a picture of the SD card and nozzle in center ( point 4 above where we centered the nozzle ( G28 ; G1 X0 Y0 Z23.85 )). I only see two photos (one of the printer and one of the nozzle at the side). Can you verify that you made a picture with the printer in center?

If you did not yet make the photo then please repeat both the centering and the nozzle at the side photo with the new config as per point (a) above.

Will do.

In your first post you instructed me to send G1 X40 Y0 Z23.85. I will now send G1 X0 Y0 Z23.85 and take a pic.

I can go back to repetier if that is better for you. I like or more than Marlin anyway.

Cheers smiling smiley

edit: here is the pic [www.dropbox.com]

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 08/14/2015 08:53AM by TehStranger.
August 14, 2015 08:57AM
I forgot you also need to change the following in the firmware:

#define XYZ_FULL_STEPS_PER_ROTATION 200
#define XYZ_MICROSTEPS 16
#define XYZ_BELT_PITCH 2
#define XYZ_PULLEY_TEETH 40
#define XYZ_STEPS (XYZ_FULL_STEPS_PER_ROTATION * XYZ_MICROSTEPS / double(XYZ_BELT_PITCH) / double(XYZ_PULLEY_TEETH))
August 14, 2015 08:59AM
LarsK
I forgot you also need to change the following in the firmware:

#define XYZ_FULL_STEPS_PER_ROTATION 200
#define XYZ_MICROSTEPS 16
#define XYZ_BELT_PITCH 2
#define XYZ_PULLEY_TEETH 40
#define XYZ_STEPS (XYZ_FULL_STEPS_PER_ROTATION * XYZ_MICROSTEPS / double(XYZ_BELT_PITCH) / double(XYZ_PULLEY_TEETH))

Nah the new pulleys I bought are 20 tooth. The ones I printed which were 40t wore out. Probably should have mentioned that, sorry.

I am now back on Repetier FW I have attached my config.h to this post.

Cheers.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 08/14/2015 09:01AM by TehStranger.
Attachments:
open | download - Configuration.h (26.2 KB)
August 14, 2015 09:33AM
Ok, for the time being lets stick to Marlin. If below does not work out we go back to repetier.

Please ensure that you implement the correction from above to your firmware and re-flash. I am refering to the 22 mm to 18 mm. Then issue the command

M502
M501

Then recalibrate the Z height for the center (ignore the problem with the nozzle lifting at the sides for now). When calibrating the Z-height the nozzle now needs to come with-in a papers height to the bed.

To do that you will only need to change the parameter:

#define MANUAL_Z_HOME_POS 556.3 // For delta: Distance between nozzle and print surface after homing.

The best way to find that number is to issue the command:

G28
G1 X0 Y0 Z0

Then find something that fits between nozzle and bed and measure that. If that is 5 mm thick then you add 5 mm to the 556.3 and your new MANUAL_Z_HOME_POS would become 561.3

Once you have managed to get the nozzle to touch within a paper the bed you need to redo step (4) and (5) from my first post. Those were the steps that made you center with a SD card and moved to the side with an SD card. Post pictures again.

I will not have more time for troubleshooting for the rest of the day so please be careful to double check that you do all the steps lined out and I will reply this evening or tomorrow - Or someone else may put in ideas.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 08/14/2015 09:41AM by LarsK.
August 14, 2015 09:52AM
LarsK
Ok, for the time being lets stick to Marlin. If below does not work out we go back to repetier.

Please ensure that you implement the correction from above to your firmware and re-flash. I am refering to the 22 mm to 18 mm. Then issue the command

M502
M501

Then recalibrate the Z height for the center (ignore the problem with the nozzle lifting at the sides for now). When calibrating the Z-height the nozzle now needs to come with-in a papers height to the bed.

To do that you will only need to change the parameter:

#define MANUAL_Z_HOME_POS 556.3 // For delta: Distance between nozzle and print surface after homing.

The best way to find that number is to issue the command:

G28
G1 X0 Y0 Z0

Then find something that fits between nozzle and bed and measure that. If that is 5 mm thick then you add 5 mm to the 556.3 and your new MANUAL_Z_HOME_POS would become 561.3

Once you have managed to get the nozzle to touch within a paper the bed you need to redo step (4) and (5) from my first post. Those were the steps that made you center with a SD card and moved to the side with an SD card. Post pictures again.

I will not have more time for troubleshooting for the rest of the day so please be careful to double check that you do all the steps lined out and I will reply this evening or tomorrow - Or someone else may put in ideas.

Will do.

Alright no worries. Cheers smiling smiley
August 14, 2015 10:39AM
Got the SD card fitting perfectly smiling smiley

[www.dropbox.com]
August 14, 2015 12:40PM
Just need the photo with the nozzle at X40 now.
August 14, 2015 01:38PM
LarsK

Sorry, I am done for the night. I was following a video tutorial for over 2 hours and got nowhere because this piece of crap is having issues with M666 commands. Thinking of throwing it out the window.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/14/2015 01:39PM by TehStranger.
August 15, 2015 11:55AM
LarsK

Continuing now. I did the X40 command and now the nozzle is a little too low. Here is a pic: [www.dropbox.com]

Cheers
August 15, 2015 03:33PM
Change diagonal rod length from 250 to 253

Redo the test and see if that improves. It should bring you so close that you can print with it.
August 16, 2015 02:50AM
LarsK

Redo the test and see if that improves. It should bring you so close that you can print with it.

Sorry for not replying quickly, time difference sucks sad smiley

I will try now, cheers smiling smiley
August 16, 2015 03:47AM
LarsK

I just tried it now but the height is not changing at all. I even changed it to 400 just to see if it was even changing and it wasn't :/

Edit: Sorry, I was wrong. It is changing but it's lowering the nozzle, I need to nozzle to raise up so I will try lowering the diagonal rod length.

Edit 2: Ok I got the centre and X40 equal in z height but x-40 puts the nozzle a bit too high.

Cheers.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 08/16/2015 04:01AM by TehStranger.
August 16, 2015 07:43AM
That makes no sense. If it is a problem with diagonal rod length it should be increasing the length that works.hmm strange :/

Still, if your misalignments are less then 0.5 mm then you can now set the bed height so that the nozzle is too low.

Simply I want you to increase MANUAL_Z_HOME_POS by 0.3.

That means it won't exteude plastic on the first layer in some places while it will in others. This is OK.

Try that out if you can print something now.

Then go find a z probe mount to print and install that. I am afraid we won't get much further with pictures of sd cards then where we are now.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login