Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

I am begging you for help with my Rostock Delta

Posted by TehStranger 
Re: I am begging you for help with my Rostock Delta
August 16, 2015 08:29AM
LarsK
That makes no sense. If it is a problem with diagonal rod length it should be increasing the length that works.hmm strange :/

Still, if your misalignments are less then 0.5 mm then you can now set the bed height so that the nozzle is too low.

Simply I want you to increase MANUAL_Z_HOME_POS by 0.3.

That means it won't exteude plastic on the first layer in some places while it will in others. This is OK.

Try that out if you can print something now.

Then go find a z probe mount to print and install that. I am afraid we won't get much further with pictures of sd cards then where we are now.

I am actually printing something small with it at the moment smiling smiley

I will print out a z probe mount now but I won't be able to use it because my spare servo seems to be malfunctioning on my Prusa i3v. I will try it out on here and also add 0.3 to z home pos like you said.

Cheers.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/16/2015 09:42PM by TehStranger.
August 17, 2015 05:09AM
I have a problem, in repetier host in the eeprom I am missing "Horizontal Radius", this entire time I've been adjusting printer_radius in the config file and recompiling which I think is wrong as I see other people adjusting it in their eeprom. Anyone know what the deal is?
August 17, 2015 07:29AM
It has two names. One in the configuration.h and a different one in EEPROM.

It is OK if you have been recompiling - It is faster to set in the EEPROM but if you don't note down your changes you may lose them if changing something.
August 17, 2015 08:28AM
LarsK
It has two names. One in the configuration.h and a different one in EEPROM.

It is OK if you have been recompiling - It is faster to set in the EEPROM but if you don't note down your changes you may lose them if changing something.

Thanks for the info, I moved back to Marlin though because it seems like I am getting the best results with that at the moment. I am currently configuring it based off what I am noticing during prints, like when I see the nozzle going higher than the centre I will decrease the smooth rod offset and adjust the max z height. Is this an okay method?

This is the model I am using to test: [www.thingiverse.com]

Thanks

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/17/2015 08:30AM by TehStranger.
August 17, 2015 10:47AM
Essentially the max z height should only be set to align the center (G1 X0 Y0 ) height.

The center is independent of your geometric errors. On a delta the only time the 3 carriages moves the same is when you are in the center and moving straight down/up. When they all move the same down then it doesn't matter how wrong you have the printer radius and diagonal rod length. The only thing that is important is that you are more or less in center (end-stops are set correct) and that your steps per mm is set correct (so it moves 1 mm when you ask it).

Then as the nozzle drops or climb as you move towards the sides you need to play with printer radius or the diagonal rod length. I do not have much experience in doing this manually as I have always used a Z probe. I developed an excel sheet that calculates backwards from your Z probe measurements and the X0 Y0 point and then tries to find what your diagonal rod length and printer radius should have been if your Z probe should have stayed level.

When doing this manually;

It is important that you do not let your self get carried away by putting in numbers that have no hold in reality. If you measure your diagonal rod length with a measuring tape to 251 then it could also be 253 or 249. It cannot be 240 or 260. The same for printer radius. Do reality checks often else you end up fiddling around with something that will maybe give you alignment to the bed but will not print good.
August 17, 2015 10:58AM
I should add that when I asked you to lower the Z height by 0.3 it had nothing to do with calibration. It is just a dirty trick to level out the errors. The nozzle does not go lower then the bed - Bue due to slack in the system you can push it onto the bed so that the software thinks that it is 0.3 mm lower then what it actually is.

As such; Lowering the nozzle lower then when it is perfect in X0 Y0 is something you do to negate the last bits of misalignment, that you were not able to solve playing with the parameters.

Repetier has a more refined way to do this with a Z probe where it creates an off-set map that combats misalignment's much more dynamically. At the end of the day it is symptom treatment with the actual root cause being poor alignment/calibration.
August 18, 2015 12:12PM
LarsK
I should add that when I asked you to lower the Z height by 0.3 it had nothing to do with calibration. It is just a dirty trick to level out the errors. The nozzle does not go lower then the bed - Bue due to slack in the system you can push it onto the bed so that the software thinks that it is 0.3 mm lower then what it actually is.

As such; Lowering the nozzle lower then when it is perfect in X0 Y0 is something you do to negate the last bits of misalignment, that you were not able to solve playing with the parameters.

Repetier has a more refined way to do this with a Z probe where it creates an off-set map that combats misalignment's much more dynamically. At the end of the day it is symptom treatment with the actual root cause being poor alignment/calibration.

I did some more calibration and done auto bed levelling and I am getting pretty decent prints with it!

Thank you SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO much for all your help. If I have any more issues I will report back.

Again, thank youuuuuuu!!!!!!!! smiling smiley
August 19, 2015 07:03AM
Disaster struck sad smiley

RAMPS went up in smoke sad smiley

Not going to get another Chinese board again.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login