Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Delta Printer - USB or Firmware issue? Please Help!

Posted by Zulance 
Delta Printer - USB or Firmware issue? Please Help!
August 19, 2015 09:45PM
Hey guys/gals,

I need some advice/help! I built a mini delta print about a year ago. Its a lot of fun, but small so I decided to build a bigger one. I built a bigger one exactly how I did the smaller one, but something's not right. My small one still works, but the big one doesn't move at all. I'm using the identical firmware because it works well for me, Repeater Firmware 0.83. The firmware uploaded to the new board perfect. When I give the board a command the lights blink but nothing moves. The only thing I can think of is my mini RepRap shows up as USB Serial Port (COM3) while my new set up shows up at Arduino Mega 2560 (COM6). Both machines are using Ramps 1.4 and Mega 2560. My mini is using a black board MKS Mega 2560 V 1.0, while my other machine is using blue board Mega 2560. I don't know what the difference between the 2 are, but they look identical aside from the MKS board having a longer chip behind the usb port. For the lights to react with my commands, it feels like a driver issue between my computer and the board. I have tried all the drivers I can think of, but am drawing a blank. Maybe its not a driver and i'm going in the wrong direction with this. Any, and all help would be great!

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 08/19/2015 10:08PM by Zulance.
Re: Delta Printer - USB or Firmware issue? Please Help!
August 20, 2015 02:54AM
The new mega board doesn´t come with a delta printer firmware, you have to configure one on your own, or use the files you might have from the mini delta and alter them, where needed.
-Olaf
August 20, 2015 06:00AM
Hi lampe,

Im still learning as I go, but I believe I installed the firmware on the board correctly. When I go to printer information the board reads Repetier_0.83 Firmware. It also gives me a link for my firmware URL (https://github.com/repetier/Repetier-Firmware/). I have Firmware EEPROM Settings to play around with and adjust. The issue is getting my Repetier-Host to move the printer. When I give the board commands the lights flash for each command, but the printer doesn't move. Its really weird. I like the firmware im using because its easy to use, and the prints are very crisp and clean. Just wish the machine would respond to me. Would be willing to flash the board with new firmware if you think that would help. My entire setup is Arduino 1.0.5-r2 with Repetier 0.83, using Repetier Host 1.0.6.
August 20, 2015 08:08AM
Can you do the following; you may stop the process if a step is a "NO".

0) Do you get a valid temperature reading from the termistor?

1) Measure with a voltmeter (multimeter) if you have 12V on the input terminals

2) Can you turn on / off the hotend (if it gets hot)

3) When powered on and refusing to move (after you pressed a move command) - Try to see if the steppers have holding torque. Holding torque is the resistance to move when you try to move them manually. You may try to power off and see how that feels, then power on and ask it to move (which it wont) and then try to move them again with you hand. Does it feel different?
August 20, 2015 11:59AM
Try loading the RAMPS test code at the following link. It should blink the lights on your board and move the motors up and down if everything is configured correctly.

[reprap.org]

Double check that you have power to the input on the corner of the board. The input next to it is intended for the heater bed, not sure if it is connected to your motors, and the board itself is likely getting power from the USB connection to Repetier Host.

If the motors still aren't working, unplug them (with the power off) and use a multimeter to check the resistance on the wire strands. A/B and C/D should have little resistance between them if wired correctly.
August 20, 2015 04:39PM
I took a picture of my board with the connections. I also took a small video of me telling my motors to move. The lights blink, but nothing happens. I have tried 3 different power supplies. I have swapped around all my components to make sure they are work. I just don't know what else to do at this point in time. I'm using 24 gage wiring, its just insulated thick so don't mind the thickness of the bundles. I swapped around the electronics to make sure my components were working. All components are functioning. Do I need to solder any of the connections from one board to the next?
Attachments:
open | download - Pic 1.jpg (404.2 KB)
open | download - Vid 1.MOV (590.2 KB)
August 20, 2015 05:00PM
Zulance
I took a picture of my board with the connections. I also took a small video of me telling my motors to move. The lights blink, but nothing happens. I have tried 3 different power supplies. I have swapped around all my components to make sure they are work. I just don't know what else to do at this point in time. I'm using 24 gage wiring, its just insulated thick so don't mind the thickness of the bundles. I swapped around the electronics to make sure my components were working. All components are functioning. Do I need to solder any of the connections from one board to the next?

If you try to run it exactly like that you won't get any movement, you have not connected any power for the heatbed and the steppers.
The green block in the right front corner of your picture is where you connect the power for the steppers and heatbed.

EDIT: You need to connect one of these to the green block: [reprap.org]

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 08/20/2015 05:02PM by Koenig.
August 21, 2015 01:43AM
Thank you for pointing that out. I thought that by connecting the boards they would power each other. A simple jumper wire fixed my problem. Now to calibrate my machine
Attachments:
open | download - Pic 2.jpg (434.3 KB)
August 21, 2015 01:49AM
Zulance
Thank you for pointing that out. I thought that by connecting the boards they would power each other. A simple jumper wire fixed my problem. Now to calibrate my machine

They do power each other if you attach the power to the RAMPS....
August 21, 2015 02:30AM
The 12V barrel connector on the mega board only powers the 5V regulator. Never use it, while the Ramps is powered through the green connector.
If they don´t have exactly the same output voltage, huge balance currents will be the result.
-Olaf
August 22, 2015 10:46AM
Thank you everyone for your help. I ended up going with an ATX Power supply and it seems to be working well. I have the machine working good except the X axis. The motor is electrically locked, but does not want to move. I have swapped around the stepper chips on the board to make sure I didn't get a bad one and same with the motors. For some reason X is giving me problems. Any ideas on this issue?
August 23, 2015 03:49AM
Check the wiring order of the x-stepper. Chinese child-slaves sometimes arrange them the wrong way after a 16 hour working day eye rolling smiley
-Olaf
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login