Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Adding a cartesian axis for increased print area

Posted by C0rpse 
Adding a cartesian axis for increased print area
August 23, 2015 12:22AM
I've been printing on a Ultibots Mini Kossel for a bit over a year now. I am very happy with the print quality, but I mainly print square enclosures, so the round build area has been killing me. I really should just build a new cartesian machine, but that's a project I don't have time for. Would it be possible to just add an additional cartesian axis to the print area? Basically it would move the print bed back and forth under the delta arm.
Re: Adding a cartesian axis for increased print area
August 23, 2015 02:23AM
Why not rebuild your Mini Kossel in a larger size? That is what I did when I found the build area too small.

Large delta printer [miscsolutions.wordpress.com], E3D tool changer, Robotdigg SCARA printer, Crane Quad and Ormerod

Disclosure: I design Duet electronics and work on RepRapFirmware, [duet3d.com].
August 23, 2015 03:25AM
The idea is great.
The firmware is the difficult part of it. The delta effector can move much faster than the table and the movement had to be coordinated with different acceleration and speed values.

Thinking further, I virtually see two ( or more grinning smiley ) delta printers side_by_side sharing a long table. The table moves left/right to close the gap between the two effectors.
With SCARA arms even four units could work on one big table. The table is static, but the arms rest on slides moving along the bed.

Coffee just kicked in winking smiley
-Olaf
August 23, 2015 11:11AM
o_lampe
The idea is great.
The firmware is the difficult part of it. The delta effector can move much faster than the table and the movement had to be coordinated with different acceleration and speed values.

Thinking further, I virtually see two ( or more grinning smiley ) delta printers side_by_side sharing a long table. The table moves left/right to close the gap between the two effectors.
With SCARA arms even four units could work on one big table. The table is static, but the arms rest on slides moving along the bed.

Coffee just kicked in winking smiley
-Olaf
Just coffee? cool smiley
August 23, 2015 01:28PM
If the bed is going to be large, it's going to be way too slow compared to the effector. ....unless you slow down the effector.
August 25, 2015 11:34AM
Looks like I'm going to be building myself a new printer.
August 25, 2015 12:02PM
C0rpse
Looks like I'm going to be building myself a new printer.

Just curious, delta or cartesian?

Cheers!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login