Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Duet endstops issue

Posted by pkm 
pkm
Duet endstops issue
September 03, 2015 10:24AM
Hi!
I have an issue with endstops sensing on Duet 0.8.5.
The onboard LEDs show actual endstop status.
The config is M558 X2 Y2 Z2 S0, but M119 shows Y either "not stopped" or at "max stop" (correct), but always shows X and Z "at min stop" (weird).
I tried swapping the endstops, updated the firmware to 1.09i but nothing helps.
What might be the problem?
Thanks

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/03/2015 10:25AM by pkm.
Re: Duet endstops issue
September 03, 2015 10:30AM
Attach your FW config.h file (or equivalent).

Bob Morrison
Wörth am Rhein, Germany
"Luke, use the source!"
BLOG - PHOTOS - Thingiverse
September 03, 2015 10:36AM
pkm
Hi!
I have an issue with endstops sensing on Duet 0.8.5.
The onboard LEDs show actual endstop status.
The config is M558 X2 Y2 Z2 S0, but M119 shows Y either "not stopped" or at "max stop" (correct), but always shows X and Z "at min stop" (weird).
I tried swapping the endstops, updated the firmware to 1.09i but nothing helps.
What might be the problem?
Thanks

I think the command for configuring the endstops is M574, atleast that is what I use with the 0.6 version.
pkm
September 03, 2015 10:36AM
Here you are. Thanks for looking.
Attachments:
open | download - config.g (4.1 KB)
September 03, 2015 10:38AM
pkm
Here you are. Thanks for looking.

Take a look at my previous post.
pkm
September 03, 2015 10:38AM
Sorry. I actually use M574 X2 Y2 Z2 S0

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/03/2015 10:39AM by pkm.
September 03, 2015 10:44AM
pkm
Sorry. I actually use M574 X2 Y2 Z2 S0

Ok!

Then I am out of ideas, only have the 0.6 version

Or...

Have you set the M665 as well, that is what defines it as a delta, don't know if it would make a difference, but anyway.

EDIT: NVM I took a peek at your config.g

I'm clueless

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/03/2015 10:48AM by Koenig.
September 03, 2015 11:09AM
You attached a gcode file.
I need to see your firmware (FW) configuration file where the endstops are defined.

Bob Morrison
Wörth am Rhein, Germany
"Luke, use the source!"
BLOG - PHOTOS - Thingiverse
September 03, 2015 12:12PM
rhmorrison
I need to see your firmware (FW) configuration file where the endstops are defined.

Bob he did post his configuration file.

I think he needs to look at

M569 P0 S0 ; X Drive 0 goes forwards
M569 P1 S0 ; Y Drive 1 goes forwards
M569 P2 S1 ; Z Drive 2 goes forwards
M569 P3 S1 ; E0 Drive 3 goes forwards
;M569 P4 S1 ; E1 Drive 4 goes forwards

This section has the Z Motor going in the opposite direction to the X & Y

You need to sort that out first!

Doug

p.s. my M574 line is M574 X2 Y2 Z2 S1 and that works on my delta all be it with a 0.6 board. The S1 means that it is an Active high signal when the endstop is triggered (Your S0 means active Low)

I would also check all your connections at both ends of the endstops and it may help if we knew what type of endstop you are using?

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 09/03/2015 12:25PM by dougal1957.
September 03, 2015 12:21PM
rhmorrison

For the duet you do all of your configuration via gcodes.
No need to compile your own firmware.

@pkm

Could it be that the firmware has not recognized the 0.85 version so that the pins don't really match.

I saw dc42 writing something about autodetection, but maybe its buggy, have you set the appropriate M-code for this? (writing from a phone and cannot really read your config.g again for now)
And if you have used that code, try without it, just to rule it out.
pkm
September 03, 2015 12:37PM
@dougal1957

There's S0 for P0 and P1 because X and Y towers move down with S1. Now all three move up when homing. I think it's what M574 does, right?

I have mechanical endstops. GND to GND, STP to STP. I tested X and Z endstops on Y input. They all work on Y.

@Koenig

I wish it was the firmware. I found this with some previous version. Updating to 1.09i didn't help either.
September 03, 2015 01:18PM
pkm
@dougal1957

There's S0 for P0 and P1 because X and Y towers move down with S1. Now all three move up when homing. I think it's what M574 does, right?

I have mechanical endstops. GND to GND, STP to STP. I tested X and Z endstops on Y input. They all work on Y.

@Koenig

I wish it was the firmware. I found this with some previous version. Updating to 1.09i didn't help either.

Found what I meant in the firmware forum, you can set which version of the board you have via M115 command, have you done this?
It was another command for doing this pre the i-version
Se the thread dc42 created in the firmware forum for more info.
September 03, 2015 01:33PM
pkm
@dougal1957

Ok if they all work on the Y Position it proves your cableing with nothing connected to the X or Z endstop positions what does the M119 report and then if you short the outer pins on the headers what then.

If that stay's the same then try shorting the pins on the Expansion header if the pins are the same as a 0.6 it would be pins 5&7 for Z and 21&23 for the Z endstops (this is on the 40 way dual row header that is next to the motor/endstop headers). on the 0.6 boards it is on the screenprinting underneath the board labled X stp Y stp and Z stp.

Let us know what you find.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/03/2015 01:35PM by dougal1957.
pkm
September 03, 2015 02:04PM
M115 says
FIRMWARE_NAME: RepRapFirmware FIRMWARE_VERSION: 1.09i-dc42 ELECTRONICS: Duet 0.85 DATE: 2015-09-02
Everything looks OK

I think, 0.8.5 doesnt't have the expansion header [blog.think3dprint3d.com]

Well, I pulled out the SD card and voila: all endstops triggering!!
I inserted the SD and the odd behavior is back.
So, this is my config. Now I'll make the config again from scratch.

Thanks for your input!

PS: with M574 X2 Y2 Z2 S0 it works too. So it's somewhere else. Probably because I haven't updated my config.g after updating the firmware.
September 03, 2015 04:24PM
Are you using normally open or normally closed endstop microswitches, or some other kind of switch? With microswitches, normally closed are recommended, meaning you should use the two outer terminals of the microswitch. The LEDs will be on when the switches are not triggered, and off when they are triggered. The M574 command should be M574 X2 Y2 Z2 S1 (the S1 means active high). See [reprap.org].

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 09/03/2015 04:25PM by dc42.

Large delta printer [miscsolutions.wordpress.com], E3D tool changer, Robotdigg SCARA printer, Crane Quad and Ormerod

Disclosure: I design Duet electronics and work on RepRapFirmware, [duet3d.com].
pkm
September 03, 2015 04:51PM
I temporarily use NO endstops, but I ordered some Halls from ebay, hope they're NC.

David, the problem of my current config is the Duet doesn't sense X and Z endstops state at all. Moreover, it shows "at min stop" though I explicitly set max endstops. I found that the Duet itself is working (hooray!). Tomorrow I'll try to adjust MiniKossel config for my printer once again.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/03/2015 04:52PM by pkm.
September 03, 2015 06:10PM
I've just re-tested M119 on my delta, and it's working correctly. If it's showing "At min stop" on the Y axis and doesn't sense the X and Z endstops at all, that suggests to me that the M574 command hasn't been processed at all and it is using the default of a low end Y endstop and no X or Z endstops. You should be able to confirm this by sending M574 with no parameters.

Do you have any evidence that any other parts of config.g are being processed? It could be that none of the file is being processed, for example because the Duet doesn't like the SD card. Or it could be that you have put the config.g file in the wrong directory, or you have some extra non-printing characters in the file.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/03/2015 06:13PM by dc42.

Large delta printer [miscsolutions.wordpress.com], E3D tool changer, Robotdigg SCARA printer, Crane Quad and Ormerod

pkm
September 03, 2015 06:34PM
I just edited the sample MiniKossel config and it works so far. Tomorrow I'll adjust it completely on the machine.

I uploaded the old config for some tests.
M574 says:
Endstop configuration: X high end (active low) , Y high end (active low) , Z high end (active low)
But M119 says
Endstops - X: at min stop, Y: not stopped, Z: at min stop
Mystery, right?

You can try my buggy config.g from the 4th message and see if X and Z endstops work. I bet they wouldn't.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 09/03/2015 06:36PM by pkm.
September 03, 2015 06:41PM
pkm
I just edited the sample MiniKossel config and it works so far. Tomorrow I'll adjust it completely on the machine.

I uploaded the old config for some tests.
M574 says:
Endstop configuration: X high end (active low) , Y high end (active low) , Z high end (active low)
But M119 says
Endstops - X: at min stop, Y: not stopped, Z: at min stop
Mystery, right?

You can try my buggy config.g from the 4th message and see if X and Z endstops work. I bet they wouldn't.

The problem is your M558 command. You need M558 P4 X0 Y0 Z0, or M558 P0 X0 Y0 Z0 if you don't have a Z probe.

pkm
September 03, 2015 06:51PM
Thanks! Exactly!
And this is probably still a bug, because Z probe shouldn't affect endstops? Or it should affect Y too.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/04/2015 12:50AM by pkm.
September 04, 2015 03:06AM
By default, RepRapFirmware uses the Z probe to home the X and Z axes. The reason is historical, because that is how it is done on RepRapPro's Ormerod, Huxley and Mendel kits. I dare not change the default without getting users of those machines saying I have broken their printers by sending the head crashing into the endstops. But I am thinking of removing the XYZ commands from M558 and using S3 in the M574 command to mean use the Zprobe. The defaults would then be M574 X3 Y1 Z3 S1.

pkm
September 04, 2015 06:50AM
Thanks for your reply. I agree with your M574 suggestion.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login