Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Fan duct for kossel mini

Posted by Capinho 
Fan duct for kossel mini
September 08, 2015 08:40AM
Hey everyone. I have just finished my Mini kossel, but I lack of proper cooling.
I want a fan duct that cools all area around the nozzle.
Right now, i have printed this duct, but the fan hits one towers belts, when comes close to it.
[www.thingiverse.com]

What type of ducts for fans are you guys using? Thanks
Re: Fan duct for kossel mini
September 09, 2015 12:33PM
Hi Capinho, if I may be so blunt to promote my (re)design of a more compact solution for a combined hotend fan and printed part cooling thingie?

I recently finished my version for the original E3D6 hotend and started using it a week ago myself. I just uploaded it to thingiverse for others to print and use:
http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:1005917

I hope you like it!
September 09, 2015 01:04PM
3DFreezeMe
Hi Capinho, if I may be so blunt to promote my (re)design of a more compact solution for a combined hotend fan and printed part cooling thingie?

I recently finished my version for the original E3D6 hotend and started using it a week ago myself. I just uploaded it to thingiverse for others to print and use:
http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:1005917

I hope you like it!

Looks good! Is the source in OpenScad, and if so, can you share it? I'd like to add a mounting point to it for my mini IR sensor, similar to [www.thingiverse.com].

Large delta printer [miscsolutions.wordpress.com], E3D tool changer, Robotdigg SCARA printer, Crane Quad and Ormerod

Disclosure: I design Duet electronics and work on RepRapFirmware, [duet3d.com].
September 09, 2015 01:22PM
Thanks David. Although originally not completely my design, I have put in a lot of time redesigning it.

The original I found did not fit on an E3Dv6 at all and the guy who posted it never replied on my questions concerning this. I also requested the source files to adapt it for my need, but nothing on that either.

There was only a .stl file to begin with. As I do own a Pro version of Sketchup (yes, I know...), my redisign has been done in Sketchup.
The exported .stl from that design will have some issues which can be fixed by the well known tools for that purpose.

I attached the skp file to this post for you to create a nice mount for you IR sensor.
:-)

For this you do need an effector with a hole big enough in the middle, the top ring of the E3Dv6 heatsink will need to fit in it.
I used:
http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:642167

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/09/2015 01:29PM by 3DFreezeMe.
Attachments:
open | download - Redesign hotend fans_final.rar (554.9 KB)
September 12, 2015 07:59AM
The thing I don't like about this design is that the hotend is below the mounting points of your rods, which results in an +/-6cm of unused build height.

I really like (and use) the following design, because it serves for cooling the hotend and the print: [www.thingiverse.com]

It is also placed above the mounting points so you have another 5cm build height smiling smiley

*edit* I'm not sure the design works on a kossel mini, but if you want it I'm pretty sure somebody has one or wants to make it.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/12/2015 08:05AM by DragoslaV.
September 13, 2015 03:48AM
thumbs up +1 for dragoslaV
A closer distance between nozzle and effector also makes it more precise.
I have this design in my collection, but haven´t tested it yet.

I´m not sure, but the e3d v6 heatsink has a smaller diameter than my clones ( 25mm ) . So make sure you find one that suits your hotend
-Olaf
September 13, 2015 12:15PM
Both your thoughts and alternatives are appreciated, DragoslaV and Olaf.

I like those designs as well, although they are not suited for my needs.
Seperate and sufficient cooling of both the heatsink and the printed part cooling mostly for PLA.
Controlled (can be turned of) part cooling from both sides of the hotend nozzle was on the wishlist as well.

The second design Olaf linked does not have the part cooling integrated at all, or perhaps I am not seeing it?
The first design has some thoughtfull configuration options for both types of cooling, but part cooling from one side only (unless you give up cooling of the heatsink).

When a design comes which also is elevated at the same time, I will change to it!
:-)
September 14, 2015 02:46PM
I believe with Olaf's design the air can only escape trough the bottom, therefor cooling the object. That is a really neat concept.
However I would like to print ABS (and other filaments) if needed. So I love that I can toggle between cooling both or just the hotend heatsink.

The only real downside of having this 2-in-1 is that you cannot turn off the cooling for the first couple of layers if the filament manufacture requires it (i.e. printing FabbLab XT)
September 14, 2015 08:59PM
One thing that people often overlook is that axial type fans aren't very good at pushing air into ductwork.

Squirrel-cage fans (often called "Blower" fans) are better at doing this.

I'm quite taken with this design, I'll be printing this out soon:

http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:705864
September 15, 2015 02:36AM
@ DragoslaV,

Like I see the design Olaf linked, it is designed the opposite of what you describe?

When connecting the two down blowing fans to the D9 connection, you can control them.
On for PLA after first layer or completely off for ABS. Whatever you want, need or like.

Off course supply an always on supply of 12V or 24VV straight from the power supply for the heatsink cooler.

@ nebbian,

You are completely correct about the fans, but I did not find an elegant solution myself to incorporate them in a design.
The design you linked looks nice indeed!

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 09/15/2015 02:40AM by 3DFreezeMe.
September 15, 2015 03:10AM
DragoslaV
I believe with Olaf's design the air can only escape trough the bottom, therefor cooling the object. That is a really neat concept.

I don't really think that, it would the blow straight on the heater block, which then would make it real hard to get working temperate.

I would rather think that one "hole" should be left open or that the fan should be mounted the other way round in one of the "holes" thus drawing the air out of the construction.
September 15, 2015 06:03PM
Hey.

I just uploaded a new effector design that might be something for you? [www.thingiverse.com]

Moving from magnetic joints due to reliability, I wanted an effector for a E3DV6 using quieter 40mm fans for both cooling the part and the heat sink of the hot end. Note that the shroud directs half the air flow onto the heat sink, and the other half down on the printed part. The joints are also positioned pretty low, so you will get some extra build height compared to many other effectors. The shroud part is a tricky print, but with some support it's doable.

I am printing this right now, will upload more photos when done!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/15/2015 06:04PM by robkar.
September 16, 2015 04:15AM
Clever design robcar!
I like the joint-horns being reversed to get more space between them.
Does it fit for the Mini Kossel carriers with 40mm horn-to-horn distance?
-Olaf
September 16, 2015 09:34AM
3DFreezeMe
When connecting the two down blowing fans to the D9 connection, you can control them.
On for PLA after first layer or completely off for ABS. Whatever you want, need or like.

No, turning it off or on is not the problem, the problem is that you cannot turn it off because it would also turn off the cooling of your heatsink and therefor the filament inside the insulator could get molten and could potential block your nozzle. That happened alot to me with the E3Dv6, so if a hotend requires active cooling, then you cannot turn it off.

However I am thinking about redesigning it so I can have 1 fan for cooling of the heatsink, and 1 for cooling of the object if needed. Maybe I will incorperate the one fan on the way nebbian posted.
September 16, 2015 09:59AM
@ DragoslaV,

You are right... For the design you suggested.

Now look a second time at 'my design' and read my remarks again.
;-)

Today I found out that Haydn Huntley is working on a design for a delta effector (using magnetic joints) using the squirrel case fans which looks very promissing:
[groups.google.com]

All we need to do then is adapt it for a 40mm effector for traxxas mounted rods.
September 16, 2015 03:38PM
I never intended to suggest yours didn't, I was referring to the design I and Olaf posted smiling smiley I like your separate fan feature, but the fact remain, that I would prefer more build height by lowering the mounting points.
September 16, 2015 03:59PM
No pun taken (and given), I must have misread your remarks.

In the meantime, I have ordered some squirrel cage fans (4020 size, 24V) and when time permits I will start working on a design that will incorporate both these fans and a top mounted hotend as well

Let us see what we can come up with!
smileys with beer
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login