Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Current Auto bed level firmware branch?

Posted by sungod3k 
Current Auto bed level firmware branch?
September 14, 2015 10:51PM
Hi,

havent been printing for some time and my Duet just shorted out so back to Ramps and marlin, but now I see that the bed level routine are not in the newest version. I guess they are still in Marlin update Limbo. I still had a version of RichCattels marlin, but the original version on which this was build is now 2 years old and I had the strangest behaviours with it.

So I tested a new Marlin version (1.0.2) so make sure everything moves correctly and it does indeed, but when I switched to RichCattel (with the same config as the new marlin) to get bed levelling I cant even home straight.

Which marlin branch is now the cool kid on the block with any form of auto bed levelling?

All answers much appreciated
Cheers
Re: Current Auto bed level firmware branch?
September 15, 2015 04:02AM
I´m fighting with the marlin 1.1.0dev branch, trying to get any improvement out of it ( against good old manual bed leveling ).
Turns out, it does what it should ( more or less ), but the microswitch probe I´m currently using, has too much friction causing the ABL matrix being different everytime.

If I understood correctly, development of this version has been freezed to focus on making it a release candidate, but a few bugs are still there.
Also the delta config file is very clustered, so I tried to rearrange the puzzle into 4 groups: mechanic, ABL, thermal, others. #see attached

-Olaf
Attachments:
open | download - Configuration.h (46.9 KB)
September 15, 2015 04:22AM
yes its awesome that they push it, but I was under the impression that it already worked.

I tested 1.0.3 dev. and the autolevel code is in there and it goes through the motion in g29 but doesnt seem to take the probe into account. it just moves to the next and even crashes into the bed even if the led shows triggered. g30 single point works and m119 also shows correct triggering, so Im unsure if this in general buggyness or my fault.

did you try RichCattel?
September 16, 2015 04:04AM
No I didn´t try RC branch, because it was 2 years old and somehow an abandoned project.

The confusion about z-min endstop and/or z-probe endstop is still there in 1.1dev. ( If not getting worse with the so called z_min_probe )
I´m glad I found a working solution for me, but there are still some traps in the config-horror.

Z_safe_homing: What does that mean for a delta?

Z_min_probe pin is D32 by default. This pin is occupied by the RRD smart LCD adapter on Ramps => bad choice.

aso.aso. eye rolling smiley
-Olaf

I have a 32bit board on my Christmas wishlist winking smiley
September 16, 2015 04:27AM
I remember half a year ago that I use RC marlin because it had some nice features that also corrected for tower radius etc and had a good M665 command for easy modification of delta parameters, but it is indeed old.

z-min and z probe should be the same in my mind grinning smiley I dont know where pin D32 is but I have my probe in the Signal pin of the z min endstop and the probe triggers correctly

I tried repetier in mean time but that for some reason ignores the triggering of the probe and slams into the bed.

Ill give marlin 1.1.dev a shot next

As for 32bit.
Its interesting, when I looked last week i found ramps fd post that I didnt see half a year ago when there was only a very beta board from geetech. But now I also found RADDS for due, which I also didn't see before. I especially like the ability for DVR8825 drivers but the pricepoint is in the same region as a new Duet and the .6 duet is also getting old I think.
September 16, 2015 05:29AM
sungod3k
As for 32bit.
Its interesting, when I looked last week i found ramps fd post that I didnt see half a year ago when there was only a very beta board from geetech. But now I also found RADDS for due, which I also didn't see before. I especially like the ability for DVR8825 drivers but the pricepoint is in the same region as a new Duet and the .6 duet is also getting old I think.

Bear in mind that the Duet gives you an Ethernet port and web interface, and software-controlled stepper motor current. RADDS for Due gives you neither. Duet 0.6 is still a good board unless you want exactly 2 extruders.

There is also the Alligator board, based on Arduino Due like the Duet, but with DRV8825 drivers on board. I haven't used one, but I understand it has an Ethernet port and software controlled motor currents. I am told that RepRapFirmware is being ported to it. What I don't know is whether the SD card is connected to the mcu using the HSMCI bus or with SPI. If it uses SPI then the upload speed to SD card via the web interface will be poor.

Large delta printer [miscsolutions.wordpress.com], E3D tool changer, Robotdigg SCARA printer, Crane Quad and Ormerod

Disclosure: I design Duet electronics and work on RepRapFirmware, [duet3d.com].
September 16, 2015 05:40AM
Youre right even the Duet .6 is a good deal and the whole z probe chaos here had me looking forward to your 7 point super calibration. I hope I get through to the replikeo guys to get a new one soon
September 16, 2015 01:01PM
dc42
sungod3k
As for 32bit.

Bear in mind that the Duet gives you an Ethernet port and web interface, and software-controlled stepper motor current. RADDS for Due gives you neither. Duet 0.6 is still a good board unless you want exactly 2 extruders.

There is also the Alligator board, based on Arduino Due like the Duet, but with DRV8825 drivers on board. I haven't used one, but I understand it has an Ethernet port and software controlled motor currents. I am told that RepRapFirmware is being ported to it. What I don't know is whether the SD card is connected to the mcu using the HSMCI bus or with SPI. If it uses SPI then the upload speed to SD card via the web interface will be poor.

Truth is, ethernet probably doesn't matter to most people. Modern home networks are all wireless. I just happened to have a TPlink wireless access point handy that I can plug it into. I do like the Duet's web interface and it is responsive as well, so will look good on mobile device. But my normal process involves using the connected PC. I just have to retrain myself, ultimately life will be easier I think to do it the Duet way. Can the firmware write the modified settings to config.g? So I don't have to remove sd, put in pc, write new config, put sd into machine, reset...? It bugs me that "Emergency stop" in repetier host doesn't actually stop the printer. But it works from the Web UI fine.

For the money, the duet board is the winner imho. I paid $48 plus shipping for the v0.6 board from replikeo. Took a long time to get to the US (3 weeks). Wasn't aware when I bought it form replikeo that it wasn't the "original" aka clone. Might have bought it from the original maker if I had put more thought into it.

Adoption to the Duet will be slow though because of the learning curve and limited LCD compatibility. The PanelDue is an attractive but expensive option.
September 16, 2015 01:21PM
Yes you can upload config.g via the Settings tab on the web interface. All the homing and web interface files can also be uploaded this way. Also you can use FTP to get complete control of the SD card contents.

Large delta printer [miscsolutions.wordpress.com], E3D tool changer, Robotdigg SCARA printer, Crane Quad and Ormerod

September 16, 2015 07:39PM
The ethernet but no wifi thing felt weird to me as well, but its a good thing to have.

The learning curve was indeed a bit steep for the .6 but I assume that .85 will be better. It was mainly the external flash software.
September 17, 2015 03:50AM
@dc42
do you see any chance in implementing support for a Toshiba FlashAir-SD card into your branch?
It would provide SD-memory and WiFi in one device.
But it needs a full size SD-socket. That might be a good reason to also implement a RRD "smart-LCD" with encoder and fullsize SD-card.
-Olaf
September 17, 2015 04:00AM
o_lampe
@dc42
do you see any chance in implementing support for a Toshiba FlashAir-SD card into your branch?
But it needs a full size SD-socket. That might be a good reason to also implement a RRD "smart-LCD" with encoder and fullsize SD-card.
-Olaf

I have no plans to support the RRD dumb LCD, although I might at some stage add support for the SD socket on PanelDue. In the meantime you could try something like this [www.saikosystems.com].

September 19, 2015 11:22PM
o_lampe
@dc42
-Olaf

actually that is pretty nifty. it allows *other* devices to access an sd card plugged into something, not necessarily allowing the thing its plugged into wifi access.

so on the reprapdiscount full lcd with sd card slot it should work smiling smiley gonna pick one up and try it on the ramps bot

adorama has them for $19.95 16gb

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/19/2015 11:23PM by thetazzbot.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login