Duet Electronics Upgrade
September 20, 2015 01:46PM
I am looking to upgrade the electronics in my mini kossel. I am considering a DUET+PanelDue combo with a differential IR auto bed leveler. This is rather pricey and I was wondering if the version of duet (v6 or v8.5) and the actual display used had big performance differences? I am asking because of availability and pricing seem to make quite a difference in this case.
Re: Duet Electronics Upgrade
September 20, 2015 01:53PM
If you're no planning on doing dual extruders there's no real reason to get 0.85.
September 20, 2015 03:35PM
So DuetV.6 still can support a panelDue and is able to control motor current through the software
September 20, 2015 04:28PM
Ace67aod
So DuetV.6 still can support a panelDue and is able to control motor current through the software

Yes.

You can read more on David's blog: [miscsolutions.wordpress.com]
September 20, 2015 04:55PM
This is the exact setup I am upgrading to this week

Regards,

Julian S.

T3DP3D Mini Kossel, E3D V6 hot end, 0.4mm nozzle, 200mm diameter Ali heated bed, Duet v0.8.5 & dc42 rep rap v1.18. DWC v1.15, PanelDue-7-1.16 DC42 IR Z Probe, 2 X MAX31855 &Thermocouples, PID heated enclosure, SolidWorks 2017, slic3r
September 20, 2015 05:19PM
were is your board and panelDue coming from? I have been very pleased with service and products from T3DP3D but it take awhile for shipping....Are you also using a differential IR probe?
September 20, 2015 06:46PM
Well i can promise the display wont improve the pri t quality lol

Something went really wrong with my printer at the same time i went to upgrade to the duet. I didnt have any successful printing at all for two days of fighting with it. Im not blaming the duet.

I discovered my motors were hot and possibly causing lost steps.

I turned down the pots on the ramps board. Once im convinced there are no other mechanical issues i will attempt another swap for the duet. Or hold out for my larger printer build.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/20/2015 06:46PM by thetazzbot.
September 20, 2015 06:54PM
I worried about having similar problems however I can hardly print ATM due to my bed not being leveled even though I achieve a XYZO calibration. I want to upgrade to Duet and the IR differential probe because I cannot get marlin auto leveling working. What I would really like to know is if duet + IR z probe has print quality improvements.....My current problem is even though my calibration snags the paper at all the positions it is still having trouble squishing the filiment to the printbed during the first layer even after manually adjusting the endstops.
September 20, 2015 09:20PM
I went from the Arduino/RAMPS to the Duet and IR sensor for my Folger 2020 Kossel, and it was the best thing I did. thumbs up

The IR sensor autoconfiguration is a dream. I got the 0.65 board from Repliko, the IR sensor from David, and decided not to get the PanelDue due to cost. I rigged up a BeagleBone Black I had sitting around for web access to the Duet, and can access it from other computers around the house all at the same time, even from my tablet. This rocks !!!!

I took the manual configuration values I used with Marlin and put them into the config.g file as a starter. Ran the autoconfig a few times to get a decent value, and then updated the config.g with the M665 values. Now, I just power up and run autoconfig once or twice to get 0.0x readings and away I print.

Get the Duet and the IR sensor and don't look back ...

Rick
September 20, 2015 10:47PM
Thanks Rick this was exactly the feedback I was looking for to make my decision to upgrade i was going to wait for a total 2020 upgrade but I am having some problems printing now due to not bed leveling imperfections. Thanks for your feedback DuetV8.5 + PanelDue +IR sensor it is for me. Ill be placing orders soon another side question what hotend are you using and was it difficult getting the IR board to mount / commission?
September 21, 2015 04:23AM
llamatrails
I went from the Arduino/RAMPS to the Duet and IR sensor for my Folger 2020 Kossel, and it was the best thing I did. thumbs up

The IR sensor autoconfiguration is a dream. I got the 0.65 board from Repliko, the IR sensor from David, and decided not to get the PanelDue due to cost. I rigged up a BeagleBone Black I had sitting around for web access to the Duet, and can access it from other computers around the house all at the same time, even from my tablet. This rocks !!!!

I took the manual configuration values I used with Marlin and put them into the config.g file as a starter. Ran the autoconfig a few times to get a decent value, and then updated the config.g with the M665 values. Now, I just power up and run autoconfig once or twice to get 0.0x readings and away I print.

Get the Duet and the IR sensor and don't look back ...

Rick

Thanks for the positive feedback!

Just a couple of points:

1. The Duet with RepRapFirmware already supports a web interface, but the connection is Ethernet not WiFi. For WiFi access from a tablet, you can either connect the Duet to your router with an Ethernet cable, or if that isn't practical you can use a WiFi to Ethernet bridge or powerline adapters.

2. Regarding the PanelDue, you can either buy the complete kit from T3P3, or just the display controller board + connectors from me and add your own compatible 4.3"or 5" display (7" should work too) and cable. Prices for the PanelDue controller direct from me including carriage and VAT are GBP39.77 to UK, GBP47.70 to EU, and GBP40.86 outside EU.

Large delta printer [miscsolutions.wordpress.com], E3D tool changer, Robotdigg SCARA printer, Crane Quad and Ormerod

Disclosure: I design Duet electronics and work on RepRapFirmware, [duet3d.com].
September 21, 2015 05:10AM
Ace67aod
were is your board and panelDue coming from? I have been very pleased with service and products from T3DP3D but it take awhile for shipping....Are you also using a differential IR probe?

Hi, I got the duet and panel due from t3dp3d.
Not the cheapest but very reliable and fast service.
I got my mini kossel from them as well, and various spares etc.

The differential it z probe came from DC42 direct.

I am in the process of wiring the printer up.

Yesterday was spent messing around with lan and wifi as the signal in my garage workshop was weak.
All sorted now.

I'll keep you posted on this thread if you like.

Regards,

Julian S.

T3DP3D Mini Kossel, E3D V6 hot end, 0.4mm nozzle, 200mm diameter Ali heated bed, Duet v0.8.5 & dc42 rep rap v1.18. DWC v1.15, PanelDue-7-1.16 DC42 IR Z Probe, 2 X MAX31855 &Thermocouples, PID heated enclosure, SolidWorks 2017, slic3r
September 21, 2015 09:57AM
Thank you all for your feedback it has helped me making my decision. I too have my kossel from T3DP3D and i have been very pleased with their quality. I am going to order my upgrade from them as well because i trust their equipment and service. and my IR probe from DC(filastruder)... I hope my wiring conversion and hookup goes well i have pre-read all instructions by DC. Big software changes scare me but with all this positive feedback and where my print quality is now....I gotta fix it its driving me insane!
September 21, 2015 09:45PM
Ace67aod
Thanks Rick this was exactly the feedback I was looking for to make my decision to upgrade i was going to wait for a total 2020 upgrade but I am having some problems printing now due to not bed leveling imperfections. Thanks for your feedback DuetV8.5 + PanelDue +IR sensor it is for me. Ill be placing orders soon another side question what hotend are you using and was it difficult getting the IR board to mount / commission?

As David mentioned, I have my Duet hooked to a network switch, and the other computers in the house and the tablet are either hardwired to the network or accessing one of the wifi routers on the network. I'll start the printer from the Beaglebone next to it, and then manage it from wherever else I happen to be sitting. The Duet has enough power to accept an ftp of a new file while it is busy printing, awesome!

I'm using the Folger 2020 supplied hotend. My mount is low tech. I had an L shaped piece of G10 that I used a few tyraps with to mount it onto the cold end. It has worked so well that I don't see the need to change it.

Commissioning the sensor was a no-brainer, just follow Davids instructions. Here is my cheat sheet:
; set the Z height to grab paper
G92 Z0 ; set the zero height
G1 Z4 F1000
G30 S-1 ; lower Z to trigger probe
; read Z height, repeat a few times to get average
; enter height into the config.g G31 line to set probe Z offset

I have changed the extruder feeder on the stepper. The v-bearing shield on one side popped off and gagged it, so I got this one on ebay for under US$16 and it is working very well:

Rick
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login