Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

He3D delta dlt-180 - QUICK REVIEW

Posted by nasone32 
He3D delta dlt-180 - QUICK REVIEW
October 24, 2015 12:57PM
So i bought this printer on aliexpress super cheap, didn't find anything around about it, so i decided to take my risks based on the pictures, and here's a quick review on it for who comes next.

paid 230 € shipping included, plus 50€ customs taxes. it is made by reprap.cn

-the plastic parts are all printed, quality is just average but beware, the holes need reworking, every single one. this made assembly take longer. if you look for beautiful printed parts look elsewere. also, i got all white parts except the effector, whis is pink lol.
-no heated bed, only borosilcate glass with blue tape on it. the heated bed is optional but for 70€ i can make what i want so i didn't take it. hell, a third of the printer for the heated bed?
-hotend is a j-head all metal, e3d clone comes preassembled (good). it's a chinese hotend but works well, temp reading precise and heats fast. 0.4mm hole (real hole size yet to be confirmed)
-motors are 38mm long, rated 1.7A, 1.8°, if you look for 42bygh4017p1 you'll find the datasheet. i'm glad they are not the "short" chinese ones. they are OK, not noisy or what. cant't speak of quality but i can push the printer very fast so they work.
-extruder comes preassembled, works fine, i don't recognise the model. it is a bowden nema17 geared extruder, it has a hobbed gear (not a hobbed bolt).
-electronics. the surprise here is stepstick with 2oz copper. not bad really. the board is a super cheap mega chinese replica plus 1.4 chinese ramps. it came with bent pins, required a bit of care to assemble.
-effector arms come preassembled, aluminium ones, lenght is matched correctly but they have a good amount of play at the bearings.
-power supply is included, chinese "for laptop" one, rated 12v 84w, no brand. it works ok, printed some 8 hours until now, isn't dead yet lol.
-some tools included in the kit: 3 and 4mm allen wrench, 5.5/7mm wrench, a pair of pliers and a screwdriver.
tools required but not included were a soldering iron, an 8mm wrench (why the hell they give only the 5.5/7mm one? it's all or nothing to me)

the bad things are:
-plastic holes need reworking
-arm joints have more play than i'd like
-assembly instructions are not very useful. the only useful one is the wiring diagram, for the assembly look on the reprap wiki and look for other deltas, there are way better instructions around.
-they give you a jack connector for the power supply. it's an awfully scary piece, probably 0.5 mm^2 wires, i threw it in the trash, cutted the power supply cable and soldered directly to the supply button.
-the software. AAAH the software. take a fresh repetier-host please and go with your own settings from scratch, don't trust the ones provided. i think they are for another printer.
-the firmware is OK (repetier 0.91) but you need to recalibrate, i ended up with 220mm build height instead of the 235 advertised.

after all is a pretty good printer and i'm satisfied. it's very fast and reliable but required two full days of tweaking to get there. travels at 300 mm/s are not a problem, print quality depends too much on other things to talk about but i'd say is pretty good.
would i reccomend it?
yes to someone with a bit of experience

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/24/2015 01:39PM by nasone32.
Re: He3D delta dlt-180 - QUICK REVIEW
October 25, 2015 06:32AM
I've got one of these, I'm replacing the corners with aluminium ones as I had some problems with it printing straight.
October 26, 2015 12:02PM
i have buy the same kit and got some trouble due to derlin carriage that cause some wobble on Z i replaced it by linear mgn12h and now all is good :

white => mgn12

purple => kit carriage
October 26, 2015 01:12PM
That's good to see rafffle, I'm also putting mgn12 on mine, just waiting for some t-nuts which I should have ordered at the same time eye rolling smiley
October 29, 2015 12:32PM
i've made these dual 40mm fan ducts for this printer.
for massive cooling and high print speed.

[www.thingiverse.com]
October 29, 2015 02:36PM
ok here it is:

October 29, 2015 04:37PM
left one is 150 mm/s perimeters with double cooling. right one is 80mm/s with no cooling.
normal prints were fine but this part has a lot of overhanging corners and looks like it melted lol.
oh don't mind on the left one there is still most of the brim attached at the base.

looks like i have to tighten the belts a bit more, anyway it's fine.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/29/2015 04:37PM by nasone32.
October 30, 2015 04:31AM
@nasone32
I printed your dual fan cooler yesterday and I had two gaps where they don't belong. The wall thickness is very thin in some places. Actually I like it, because it's lightweight.
Then I tried to mount them to my e3d clone and the heatsink is 25mm dia sad smiley

Any advice how to slice it? I had 0.4mm nozzle with 0.25mm layer height.
I was clueless how to mount it, since the mounting holes don't work well with screws&nuts. Now I saw, you were using a tie-rap.
Not my kind of thing, I'll try to add a cutout to the screw holes and print it again.
-Olaf
Attachments:
open | download - dual fan.jpg (142.5 KB)
October 30, 2015 06:00AM
hi Olaf,
i remixed it for you, for 25mm barrel and hex nuts.
i did not have time to polish it at perfection, i'm sorry.
try to look at the gcode before printing to see if there are anomalous holes around.
the problem with the hole anomaly you had, should be solved now.

printed at 0,4mm diameter, 0,25 layer height, 3 perimeters, 20% infill

[www.thingiverse.com]
November 02, 2015 10:35AM
i updated the above fan ducts with some modifications.

now the mounting is easier, stiffer and the hex nut fit better.
the ducts have more air flow to the nozzle due to improved geometry and reduced flow to the barrel (but with an improved trajectory).

[www.thingiverse.com]

and this is a cross section view of the barrel ducts.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/02/2015 10:40AM by nasone32.
November 03, 2015 10:17AM
for the cooler i got this one : [www.thingiverse.com]

with this adaptor : [www.thingiverse.com]

working pretty well for cooling (easly 15° drop if you put blower at 100% )

and i improve retract by put extruder on carriage like this : [www.youtube.com]

a really great way to improve retract

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 11/03/2015 10:19AM by rafffel.
November 04, 2015 06:10PM
i like the cooler but i can't say anything about the "flying extruder", i'd prefer it counterweighted

i made a new version again! i'm not giving up until i'm satisfied. i printed a perfect racing spiral vase at 60 mm/s!

this is the new cooler, i've put a filling inside, it keeps the pressure and prevents turbulence, now the flow is more than twice the previous version. for free!
and also cools the print 360°!
i have to polish it a bit before putting on thingiverse.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/04/2015 06:11PM by nasone32.
November 07, 2015 02:35PM
ok, i polished and published on thingiverse my new design.
it works really well now.
due to simulation (...time..) constraints i iterated to the best design using flow simulation, without considering the barrel ducts, which take less than 10% of the flow away from the print so it is a good approximation for the target.

the flow is not perfectly simmetrical because it takes in consideration the real flow from a real fan (a sanyo denki 40x40x20), so the flow has a rotational component.

[www.thingiverse.com]

the flow never touches the hotend tip.

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 11/07/2015 02:55PM by nasone32.
February 10, 2016 03:47AM
Hi,

I just ordered a He3D Delta 180.. I'm thinking about ordering the magnetic ball joints but I'm not sure what size rods I need.

I'm guessing/hoping that the L200 of the following two options is the right ones to go with?

[hAAAOSwstxVYyo1" target="_blank" rel="nofollow">www.ebay.com]
[hAAAOSwstxVYyo1" target="_blank" rel="nofollow">www.ebay.com]

And your fan design above is awesome!
February 12, 2016 09:25PM
i see you've made an even better fan (it looks awesome)... what fans would you recommend to go with your design?

[www.thingiverse.com]
February 13, 2016 05:18PM
nasone32
ok, i polished and published on thingiverse my new design.
it works really well now.
due to simulation (...time..) constraints i iterated to the best design using flow simulation, without considering the barrel ducts, which take less than 10% of the flow away from the print so it is a good approximation for the target.

the flow is not perfectly simmetrical because it takes in consideration the real flow from a real fan (a sanyo denki 40x40x20), so the flow has a rotational component.

[www.thingiverse.com]

the flow never touches the hotend tip.

How do you cool your hotend with this cooling fan mount.
March 04, 2016 08:43PM
Im thinking of buying a dlt 600 with a heated bed.... maybe with dual extruder but frankly I already have a tri extruder machine, and I've just removed the extra extruders because they were not getting used and were frankly a pain.

Also thinking of refitting the controls with a Duet (I already have two duet machines), anyone got any experience with doing this?

RepRapPro Mendel 3 Tricolour
RepRapPro Fisher
-Carbon Arms
-Easy adjust Carriage+effector
-axis stiffness mods
HE3D -600 delta
-Duet 0.8.5
-PanelDue
-DC42 Height probe
-RobotDigg metal components
Simplyfy3D
RS Design Spark CAD
March 06, 2016 02:42PM
Hey guys, I need some help. I got the dlt 600 with heated bed and dual extruders. I've been painstakingly tinkering with this thing for like a month, and the company is not very good at explaining things. This is also my first printer ever, so I'm really having fun...

So I figured out the convex movement issue and fixed that, but now my bed won't heat, and I can't get it to print anything. Anyone have any idea? Btw, it's using Repetier Host.

Thanks in advance!
Update: Just figured out why I couldn't get the printer to go through the motions. Apparently Repetier only accepts .gcode files, and that's why they included slic3r? Still can't get the bed to heat, though.

Oh, here's another problem. I can't seem to get the printer to manually respond to any gcodes except g28, which I saw was defined in the .ini file I was told to load into slic3r as the configuration.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 03/06/2016 03:08PM by Entair.
March 12, 2016 12:12AM
Reading these comments about poor support I'm kinda glad that I've opted to build my -600 with a Duet and a PanelDue screen

You may get better help if you look for generic help on Delta printers with a RAMPS controller, there is little special about the HE3D design, its just a generic Delta, and is functionally identical to any other delta.

Your solution will probably have to start with replacing the firmware...

RepRapPro Mendel 3 Tricolour
RepRapPro Fisher
-Carbon Arms
-Easy adjust Carriage+effector
-axis stiffness mods
HE3D -600 delta
-Duet 0.8.5
-PanelDue
-DC42 Height probe
-RobotDigg metal components
Simplyfy3D
RS Design Spark CAD
October 17, 2016 01:57PM
I've printed up your custom cooling fan mount and I'm interested in getting it to work. How did you do the wiring for the second fan? I've got no idea where to plug it in. Anyone have any ideas or can point me to a resource on this?
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login