Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Heatbed maxes out at 58 deg with SSR

Posted by alvinaw11 
Heatbed maxes out at 58 deg with SSR
October 31, 2015 12:39AM
Hello everyone,

I'm having difficulty getting my bed temp to exceed 58 degrees since I've hooked up my SSR.

It's a SSR60DD that I hooked up since this is a huge 6' tall printer that will be printing for 8 hours plus and wanted the precaution of not frying my electronics.

I've tried different gauge wire from 16 14 and 12 and it has effected temp eat up time, but the max out at 58 degrees. Is this because of my choice on the SSR? It seemed to work fine when I had it directly connected. I should note that the wires from the ramps board to SSR is still 18g, but I wouldn't think it would effect it.
Re: Heatbed maxes out at 58 deg with SSR
October 31, 2015 04:03AM
How much is the voltage drop through the SSR?
Do you have full 255 PWM steps enabled in firmware?
Do you use bang-bang or ( uncalibrated ) PID with fast PWM switching?
-Olaf

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/31/2015 04:04AM by o_lampe.
October 31, 2015 05:04AM
Low cost DC-DC SSRs have between 1.5V and 2V drop. Heater power varies as the square of heater voltage. So the voltage drop explains the reduction in temperature. You will also find that the SSR generates a lot of heat.

My solution is to use an AC mains voltage heated bed driven by a DC-AC SSR. Follow the link in my signature for more.

The simplest way for you to get your existing bed heating properly is to buy a good DC-DC SSR with a low voltage drop. Crydom make good ones. Expect to pay a lot more than you did for your existing SSR.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/31/2015 05:05AM by dc42.

Large delta printer [miscsolutions.wordpress.com], E3D tool changer, Robotdigg SCARA printer, Crane Quad and Ormerod

Disclosure: I design Duet electronics and work on RepRapFirmware, [duet3d.com].
October 31, 2015 08:03AM
Or use a relay
October 31, 2015 09:06PM
dc42
Low cost DC-DC SSRs have between 1.5V and 2V drop. Heater power varies as the square of heater voltage. So the voltage drop explains the reduction in temperature. You will also find that the SSR generates a lot of heat.

My solution is to use an AC mains voltage heated bed driven by a DC-AC SSR. Follow the link in my signature for more.

The simplest way for you to get your existing bed heating properly is to buy a good DC-DC SSR with a low voltage drop. Crydom make good ones. Expect to pay a lot more than you did for your existing SSR.

How would I know which relay to choose out of their line up?

[www.crydom.com]

I'm very new to electronics and have only made my printers by mimicking other setups I've seen so I don't know how to read all the voltage stuff yet, I basically just copied my folgertech onto a much larger setup with better wiring and a IEC mains. Currently running 12v power supply and heatbed sorry I'm a complete noob to this I need to find a book to teach me the basics.

Also I did try a DCDA setup, but the heatbed would not shut off when I commanded it to through ramps

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 10/31/2015 09:10PM by alvinaw11.
November 01, 2015 03:31AM
I did a quick search on what is readily available, and the the least expensive one I found that I consider suitable was the DC100D40C.

Large delta printer [miscsolutions.wordpress.com], E3D tool changer, Robotdigg SCARA printer, Crane Quad and Ormerod

November 01, 2015 09:31AM
dc42
I did a quick search on what is readily available, and the the least expensive one I found that I consider suitable was the DC100D40C.

Youch £65 at RS makes my AC one seem very cheap at around £40 inc the SSR and at 400x400mm

Doug
November 01, 2015 12:14PM
dougal1957
dc42

Youch £65 at RS makes my AC one seem very cheap at around £40 inc the SSR and at 400x400mm

Doug

Yes, good DC-DC SSRs are expensive. They have to feed power from the control side of the relay through to the load side in order to provide enough voltage for the gate of the output mosfet. Whereas DC-AC SSRs used to drive mains-voltage heated beds use triacs and the voltage drop is far less important because of the lower bed current. I paid less than £10 for my DC-AC SSR.

November 01, 2015 08:38PM
are you %100 sure this will be the solution? I'm willing to spend the money, but just gotta be sure before dropping 100USD on this part, I've been dying to get this printer running
November 01, 2015 11:00PM
I suggest you bypass your SSR and then test whether the bed gets hot enough. Also tell us what voltage and current the bed heater take. Without that information I can't estimate how much heating power you will lose with each type of SSR.

November 01, 2015 11:43PM
November 02, 2015 04:20AM
nebbian
Cripes, no need to drop that sort of dough.

Something like this would do the job: http://www.jaycar.com.au/Electromechanical-Components/Relays-%26-Accessories/Panel-Mount/Heavy-Duty-Chassis-Mount-Relays---30A/p/SY4040

It's mechanical, so it would probably wear out rather quick + plus it would make the printer noisier.
November 02, 2015 10:12AM
Koenig
nebbian

Something like this would do the job: http://www.jaycar.com.au/Electromechanical-Components/Relays-%26-Accessories/Panel-Mount/Heavy-Duty-Chassis-Mount-Relays---30A/p/SY4040

It's mechanical, so it would probably wear out rather quick + plus it would make the printer noisier.

I Agree with Koenig something like a seven switch would be better

or Power Expander Whilst I have one of these it is as yet unused so can't comment on it's performance in use.

Doug

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/02/2015 10:20AM by dougal1957.
November 02, 2015 07:50PM
dougal1957
Koenig
nebbian

I Agree with Koenig something like a seven switch would be better

or Power Expander Whilst I have one of these it is as yet unused so can't comment on it's performance in use.

Doug

THANK YOU that looks perfect
November 02, 2015 09:24PM
I can't find any specification of that Power Expander, so no way of telling whether it is suitable or not.

November 03, 2015 02:22AM
dc42
I can't find any specification of that Power Expander, so no way of telling whether it is suitable or not.

TECHNICAL SPECIFICATIONS

Power handling designed for 12 to 24V DC (absolute maximum 30V DC)

Signal_in 5 to 24V DC

Signal_in and power_in are galvanically isolated.

Maximum power current up to 60A peak (unfused)

Board outline 30X30mm

Mounting holes 22X22mm (Ø3.2mm)

Please note that the Power Expander is unfused.

From the linked page.

Also: Datasheet for the driving MOSFET: PSMN7R0-30YLC
November 03, 2015 02:29PM
Thanks - maybe it's because I am using a smartphone, but I couldn't see the specification. It's a 6 terminal device rather than the usual 4 terminal SSR and that allows it to get the gate drive voltage from the output side. If it is correctly designed then it should be OK up to about 20A current, perhaps a little more, although nothing anywhere close to the 60A mentioned.

November 04, 2015 02:50AM
A relais can cause back-EMV issues, too.
-Olaf
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login