Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Concept: Large format Delta/Cartisian printer

Posted by MrMeeeseeeks 
Concept: Large format Delta/Cartisian printer
December 04, 2015 05:41PM
Came up with this idea 30 mintues ago and put this together. The idea is the Delta half would handle the fine movements and the Cartisian half would handle the coarse movements (XYZ). I beleive if this works we could increase print speeds as well. Let me know what you think!

Imgur

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/04/2015 07:08PM by MrMeeeseeeks.
Re: Concept: Large format Delta/Cartisian printer
December 04, 2015 06:53PM
Interesting. The main problem is that there is no software to control this.

Also, what would be the advantage for the added complexity?
December 04, 2015 07:07PM
n8bot

The software would be a challenge. It would be interesting peice of code.

As for Advantages? Speed is the main idea. You could have the base plate move the left as the delta moves to the right, that kind of concept. I haven't worked it out though so I'm only assuming it would increase in speed. Another advantage would be an extra 300mm XY demension.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/04/2015 07:09PM by MrMeeeseeeks.
December 04, 2015 07:23PM
MrMeeeseeeks
n8bot

As for Advantages? Speed is the main idea. You could have the base plate move the left as the delta moves to the right, that kind of concept. I haven't worked it out though so I'm only assuming it would increase in speed. Another advantage would be an extra 300mm XY demension.

I'm not sure I understand how a greater build volume would be achieved? The gantry/frame of the cartesian would certainly be the limiting factor, and the delta could just vary its position within it.
December 04, 2015 07:34PM
n8bot
MrMeeeseeeks
n8bot

I'm not sure I understand how a greater build volume would be achieved? The gantry/frame of the cartesian would certainly be the limiting factor, and the delta could just vary its position within it.

Thinking about it. Yeah I'm not sure eathier. In my mind it made sense haha. Another advantage comes to mind is higher detail in large prints.
December 05, 2015 04:35AM
I can't see the picture. The link is broken.
I guess you want to print on a moving bed instead of a fixed one. Of course this would increase build volume. ( if you keep the bed moving only in x-direction you can print "endless")
Print speed won't increase much as your extruder might be the limiting factor.

I had a similar idea for "mass production", where the bed is more like a giant washer/donut with its center on the z-axis.
It would rotate 30- 60° further after a print is done, so I'd be able to print multiple parts over night.
-Olaf
December 05, 2015 11:09AM
o_lampe
I can't see the picture. The link is broken.
I guess you want to print on a moving bed instead of a fixed one. Of course this would increase build volume. ( if you keep the bed moving only in x-direction you can print "endless")
Print speed won't increase much as your extruder might be the limiting factor.

I had a similar idea for "mass production", where the bed is more like a giant washer/donut with its center on the z-axis.
It would rotate 30- 60° further after a print is done, so I'd be able to print multiple parts over night.
-Olaf

Try this one here.
December 05, 2015 12:00PM
As good as Delta's can print, no FDM printer does very well at very high speeds. Trying to push even more speed by adding all the complications plus the mechanical error from two moving assemblies instead of one, just means that the print quality is going to get even worse. What's the point of printing super fast if the quality is so low that the part is unusable? I can't think of anything I've ever printed where the speed was more important than the print quality.

I don't know what the obsession is with print speed, when it's so obvious that so many machine have much bigger problems with poor print quality.

Ultra MegaMax Dominator 3D printer: [drmrehorst.blogspot.com]
December 05, 2015 06:05PM
I'm with digital dentist (which is ironic as I'm a dentist too but probably more an analogue one) it's going to be too complex to work easily, and it's quality we all seek. Speed seems to be more of a marketing brag than anything else, it's easier to measure and demonstrate than quality or reliability.
December 06, 2015 05:36AM
Speed only leads to poor quality, when a single moving part ( say heatbed of a Cartesian ) exceeds it's mechanical limits.
If you can split the speed between a delta effector and a moving bed, both can run in their comfort zone and produce good quality.
But I agree with DD that inaccuracies also add up. So maybe we see a win:win situation here. ( Leaving the extruder capabilities out of the equation )

BTW: What I said in my earlier post is wrong, the table limits the build volume. Build height might increase by the deltas z-height, but then the bed must not move.

Let's keep on brainstorming. From 100 bad ideas, one brilliant idea is born grinning smiley
-Olaf
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login