Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

How do I work out the correct Bowden tube length confused smiley

Posted by MightyMouth 
How do I work out the correct Bowden tube length confused smiley
December 07, 2015 04:03PM
I am just at the point where I want to connect my bowden tube to my extractor. I suspect it should be as short as possible but how to work out the correct length?do I just move the effector as far from the bowden tube as it will go then make it a nice smooth curve or is there a better way?
Re: How do I work out the correct Bowden tube length confused smiley
December 07, 2015 04:30PM
Ok, so my printer is 1m tall and the print bed is 330mm. As it is I think about 70cm - 75cm seems about right to me, the effector can reach every part of the bed without stressing the bowden tube so that has to be about right but I don't want to cut it and make a mistake.
December 07, 2015 05:05PM
As long as it can reach ever part of the bed, while keeping the tubing a bit lose you will be fine.
I know the feeling of cutting something and coming up short.
But a bit of slack isnt a problem.
December 07, 2015 05:40PM
So it looks like 65cm would be good but I cut it at 70cm just to be sure.
December 08, 2015 02:41AM
You may want to consider ways of making the Bowden tube shorter. If you currently have the extruder mounted on top, it can be located quite a bit lower (around 40%) without interfering with the arms.
December 08, 2015 03:28AM
My delta is also 1m high and the printable diameter is 300mm. The Bowden tube is 660mm long. I have two pieces of elastic supporting it from the top frame, to avoid its weight applying a tilting force to the effector.

Large delta printer [miscsolutions.wordpress.com], E3D tool changer, Robotdigg SCARA printer, Crane Quad and Ormerod

Disclosure: I design Duet electronics and work on RepRapFirmware, [duet3d.com].
December 09, 2015 06:22AM
Ideally the shorter the better but it will work if its long, you just have more problems with filament control as the filament can stretch/compress and flex in the tube. This means that you get more blobs/strings etc... Retraction tuning is harder with a longer tube.

I'd recommend mounting the extruder halfway down the printer to shorten the tube. Or consider a flying extruder. There's a good thread on this forum about it.

Having an i3 with no bowden, and a delta which has recently gone from long bowden tube to short one via flying extruder the improvement in print quality is easily seen.
December 09, 2015 09:04AM
My Extruder is mounted exactly halfway down the printer but I wonder if it wouldn't be better mounted halfway between the base and the highest extruder position.
December 09, 2015 02:02PM
Should the tube be as straight as possible? For instance, mounting the stepper above the extruder rather than on the table top next to the printer, forcing a U-path in the tube.

Definitely need to shorten my bowden tube, just have yet to figure out a good mounting strategy for the stepper on a Rostock delta.
December 10, 2015 06:38PM
Everything being equal, the back-force goes up tremendously when you start bending the path, depends on the bend radius, material size and type, etc. Even teflon will have this problem, surprisingly so. Making the tube longer will relieve sideways stress on the effector but I am thinking the longer length will cause more friction, subtracting from the gain achieved from going to a wider bend radius. Also, the chewed side of the filament should have more friction than the smooth parts. Also, longer tube will also cause more hysteresis in your filament feed and force a greater amount of retraction.

After experimenting with different positions and angles of the extruder, for all extreme positions of the effector, I ended up mounting the extruder motor on one of the uprights about halfway between the bed and the homed position of the effector. The best angle was about 30 deg from vertical, so the tube actually shoots out away from the chassis some before coming back inside to the effector It is about 60 to 70 mm long as well, even though I am using 3mm filament. I use a rubber-band (actually a string of them) from the top of the back chassis tower to the top of the loop of the bowden tube to keep it pulled up and reduce side stress. The pull from the band is very weak, just enough to keep the tube upright.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/10/2015 07:36PM by shadowphile.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login