Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

First test print failure

Posted by MightyMouth 
First test print failure
December 13, 2015 12:48PM
Ok so started my first test print of a 30mm hollow box and it seemed to be going ok, the first layer wasn't great, a few gaps but the walls seemed to be doing really well, the sides were super smooth and appeared to be straight but then on about layer 70 of 100 the print head started raising too high and was visibly a mm or more above the print so just started getting strings. I have no idea what this means. Here is a picture. Any ideas

Re: First test print failure
December 13, 2015 12:59PM
Did you set the motor current back to a normal value after initial commissioning? If T3P3 is still shipping motors with 1.68A current rating, then I suggest 1000mA for the towers. The extruder may not need as much.

Large delta printer [miscsolutions.wordpress.com], E3D tool changer, Robotdigg SCARA printer, Crane Quad and Ormerod

Disclosure: I design Duet electronics and work on RepRapFirmware, [duet3d.com].
December 13, 2015 01:00PM
is just one corner too low, or is that from the photo?
December 13, 2015 01:21PM
dc42
Did you set the motor current back to a normal value after initial commissioning? If T3P3 is still shipping motors with 1.68A current rating, then I suggest 1000mA for the towers. The extruder may not need as much.

I left the extruder at 500 but I will increase it to 1000 and see how it goes. How would that cause this issue?

voi9viper

is just one corner too low, or is that from the photo?

I am not sure, it seemed like one corner was ok and the rest were too high.
December 13, 2015 01:34PM
If this is your first first print then it can also just be some weird first run problem that you will never see again. Try to print it again and see if it does the same thing... If it does, then increase the hot-end temperature by 5 C.
December 13, 2015 01:36PM
Actually it looks like the cube is leaning outwards? What is the dimensions at bottom versus top?
December 13, 2015 01:45PM
LarsK
Actually it looks like the cube is leaning outwards? What is the dimensions at bottom versus top?

Think that is just an optical illusion or the picture angle, the sides are all the same at just about 30.12 +-.02 all the way up.
December 13, 2015 02:30PM
ok second print succeeded and looks great but is not perfectly square, the sides are all 30.12 again but top to bottom it is 29.88 and the bottom is still a bit messy and thin and has a few tiny holes in it.

so how to I get it the right size and get the bottom printing better?
December 13, 2015 04:03PM
diagonal rod length affects X/Y size/scaling, but I think it's something else. The only thing that I know for sure that affects Z scale is steps-per-mm, and based on your results this seems most likely to me. This is easy to test without printing anything. Move the nozzle to x0, y0, z30. Measure the real height, move Z up at least 30 mm, the higher the better, but no higher then you can measure with the same instrument (calipers, ruler, tape measure, whatever) . Larger lengths give more accurate results , smoothing out any small errors in measuring. Ok, move the nozzle up, say 100mm, and measure the height. Subtract the first height. It's probably off by about 4 mm (just a guess here). Now do a little math:

(original steps-per-mm (using 80 as example ) * commanded_distance) / actual_distance, or (80 * 100) / 104 = 76.92 new steps_per_mm value.

I think that will fix all of your scaling issues. The same value is used for X,Y, and Z steppers.
December 13, 2015 06:52PM
Check your XY scaling with a much larger print, also check that the corners remain square. If the scaling is still slightly off but the corners are square, then you can correct the XY scaling, see [reprap.org].

Your Z steps/mm should not need to be adjusted, assuming they are correct for the geometry of your printer (I am guessing 20t pulleys, GT2 belt and 1.8deg motors, in which case 80 steps/mm).

If the bottom has holes in it, then most likely you are starting the print a little too high. Assuming you ran autocal or at least G30 before the print to get an accurate Z=0 height, try increasing the probe trigger height (Z parameter in the G31 command) by 0.05mm, which will reduce the starting nozzle height by 0.05mm.

btw after auto calibration, what deviation does it report?

Large delta printer [miscsolutions.wordpress.com], E3D tool changer, Robotdigg SCARA printer, Crane Quad and Ormerod

December 14, 2015 05:40AM
Thanks guys, I check that stuff tonight when I get home. I'll post the deviation then also.
December 15, 2015 03:51PM
After auto calibration it says Calibrated 6 factors using 10 points, deviation before 1.113 after 0.122 then I did it again and it said Calibrated 6 factors using 10 points, deviation before 0.081 after 0.066 and the third time Calibrated 6 factors using 10 points, deviation before 0.057 after 0.056.
December 15, 2015 04:13PM
OK so I increased the probe trigger height from .95 to 1.0 but now it seems to not stick at all as if it is starting higher than before.
December 15, 2015 04:25PM
MightyMouth
OK so I increased the probe trigger height from .95 to 1.0 but now it seems to not stick at all as if it is starting higher than before.

Try another 0.05mm then. Don't forget that you either need to reboot the Duet after changing config.g, or send the new G31 command directly so that it gets actioned immediately.

December 15, 2015 04:33PM
Ok thanks I didn't forget to reboot the Duet, I just didn't know I didn't have to tongue sticking out smiley
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login