Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Lots of Deltas to choose from

Posted by Ish 
Ish
Lots of Deltas to choose from
January 04, 2016 10:25AM
I know I want a Delta and I see a lot of DIY Delta printers to choose from and I would like a little advice. Thanks!

Whats the best most commonly used printer for the money that also has the potential for future upgrades?

Whats the best place to buy a delta printer with the best support?

What software do you use? Can you use Cura?

What are some general tips and things to look out for? Heated bed, linear vs pulley system, materials to start with, dual head, Cyclops, etc.

This Kossel US $202.50 printer looks good is it a great deal?
[www.aliexpress.com]

Kossel US $234.60 with Laser engraver. Cool!!! What about this one?
[www.aliexpress.com]

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 01/04/2016 12:04PM by Ish.
Re: Lots of Deltas to choose from
January 04, 2016 10:38AM
I actually bought the first kit you posted back in November during the 11/11 sale. I haven't had time to assemble it, but one thing I am worried about is the slop in the wheels. They don't look like that are cut to ride in the extrusions precisely enough, but you get what you pay for.

For $202 + shipping, its a good starting point. You can always pick up some robot digg aluminum parts and other upgrades after you build it.

greghoge.com

HUGE 3D PRINTER PARTS SALE!!!
Ish
January 04, 2016 12:17PM
I'm stuck between the linear system vs pulley system. Is it worth getting the Linear system?

Linear
[www.aliexpress.com]

Pulley
[www.aliexpress.com]
January 04, 2016 05:53PM
i prefer the linear guide as it is stiffer and less parts to deal with and no adjustments needed for slop, but in terms of print quality, i have not heard anyone argue with proof which one is better

both the rollers and linear guides are technically pulley systems as they both use the belts to move.

something that you might want to take into account is a heated bed as printing without one makes life difficult, if you dont buy one at the get go, you might need to upgrade your board (if they can shave costs they will), and you will definately need to upgrade your power supply.

i bought a linear guide system with heated bed for 295 on aliexpress

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 01/04/2016 05:54PM by lalalandrus.
January 04, 2016 08:24PM
Ish
I'm stuck between the linear system vs pulley system. Is it worth getting the Linear system?

Linear
[www.aliexpress.com]

Pulley
[www.aliexpress.com]

Go with the linear guides. Also expect to buy a new hotend. They are using Chinese knockoffs that can be shady. It's worth the extra $50-80 to avoid the headaches.

greghoge.com

HUGE 3D PRINTER PARTS SALE!!!
January 05, 2016 12:33AM
Just my 2 cent.

Get one with a heated bed. Its better to get one now then later on after you have everything setup.

I dont know the difference from liner and rollers. I hear the liner sliders arent as noisey

Also try to get one with molded conners. It bassically goes Aluminum > molded > printed. As far as build quailty.

Pla is the best filament to start off with. But it does need a fan to cool ot as it exit the nozzle.

Abs doesnt need a cooler fan, but it warps, if the temps arent right or it cools to fast.
January 05, 2016 07:18AM
Wheels has much less torsional resistance, i recomend linear rods, i use wheels and they use to be much more expensive if you dont have a lead
January 09, 2016 03:10PM
I've got a think3dprint3d kossel mini and its well made and it works. It wasn't as cheap as Chinese kits but then the time it will take to sort out a bad kit is not worth the saving you make buying it not when your talking £100-£200 saving. I bought it assembled by someone who builds a lot of them and it was reasonably priced.

It's less of an issue if you're experienced with 3d printers but you'll spend hours printing better parts and money upgrading cheap hot ends/motors/electronics. I'd buy a cheap kit if it was super cheap for the challenge but I'd expect a battle.

I haven't used any other deltas so I can't compare but there are a lot of parts and ideas floating around for kossel based designs.

If I upgrade anything, it would be to linear rails (just neater and fewer parts), a flex3drive extruder and 32bit electronics but if you aren't planning to print super fast, and since high quality prints beat fast ones everyday, ramps/mega for all its failings can cope.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 01/09/2016 03:13PM by DjDemonD.
Ish
January 17, 2016 03:33PM
So i ordered this model...

[www.aliexpress.com]

Assembling this thing was a pain but it's done. I had so many issues putting this thing together.

In the manual is decent. Nothing really too detailed. It even mentioned loading a marlin firmware and offered no link as to where you get it for my particular model. Is there just a generic firmware that works on all models or should i wait for support from the seller?
January 18, 2016 01:06PM
Ish
So i ordered this model...

[www.aliexpress.com]

Assembling this thing was a pain but it's done. I had so many issues putting this thing together.

In the manual is decent. Nothing really too detailed. It even mentioned loading a marlin firmware and offered no link as to where you get it for my particular model. Is there just a generic firmware that works on all models or should i wait for support from the seller?

You can start off with Jcrocholl Kossel/delta firmware
Your need to setup some settings in the firmware to match your printer however.
Ish
January 18, 2016 02:21PM
I finally received the firmware for the Anycubic Linear Delta, and have put it on my dropbox.

[www.dropbox.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/19/2016 07:14AM by Ish.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login