Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Odd printer problem MICROMAKE

Posted by Meleon 
Odd printer problem MICROMAKE
January 11, 2016 07:47PM
After an extended build (an hour here and there) I've finally finished.
I received the kit in April. It has an ardunio mega and the red ramps. That's about the extents of technical speak.
On my test run I set out to print the 3D benchy boat from Thingaverse in pla sliced in slic3r.
All was going well until about the 30min mark or about 25mm in height when the print head just started to just randomly move and extruding material.
My next attemp was a fan shroud out of abs because I was having trouble with the pla melting before the nozzle.
The results where the same, an acceptable result (minus the warping due to no heated bed) up until about the 1/2 hour mark or about an inch in height where
Where it started to randomly move about extruding.
Anyone ever experienced anything like this?
Sorry so wordy
Jamie
Re: Odd printer problem MICROMAKE
January 11, 2016 09:19PM
A video and config file would be nice.
January 13, 2016 04:51AM
i had an issue when i first started that was similar to that it was caused by too fast print speed married with low motor currents

another issue that is known to happen is on the cheaper kits, either the power supply or the power supply cable is poor. this causes a larger than acceptable voltage drop when the motors (~1.3Ax4) + heater(~3.5A) is on

try

1) changing the power supply or feed wires to beefier versions
2) slowing down the print
3) reducing the current (only after slowing down the print significantly)
January 14, 2016 02:24PM
I'm away from home for the next 2 weeks, so I can't upload video or give anymore specs.

But I did order a new power supply. 30amp so hopefully I should have lots of power.
I will also upgrade the power wires, any recommendations on what gauge I should go with?
Also I purchased mine without the heated bed, but have since bought one separately. With the new 30amp power supply connected the same way OEM power supply is connected, should I be able to simply connect the leads from the heated bed to board in the labeled location and update the firmware?

Jamie
January 15, 2016 09:28PM
The attached photo shows how the extruded just started to randomly swing around. Not sure if they help smiling smiley
Attachments:
open | download - image.jpeg (513.1 KB)
open | download - image.jpeg (611 KB)
January 15, 2016 11:16PM
Meleon
I'm away from home for the next 2 weeks, so I can't upload video or give anymore specs.

But I did order a new power supply. 30amp so hopefully I should have lots of power.
I will also upgrade the power wires, any recommendations on what gauge I should go with?
Also I purchased mine without the heated bed, but have since bought one separately. With the new 30amp power supply connected the same way OEM power supply is connected, should I be able to simply connect the leads from the heated bed to board in the labeled location and update the firmware?

Jamie
Yes update firmware for heated bed,
Hook up bed to the board thats label "heated bed"
Then plug the power supply. Up.

If your using ramps 1.4 your need to hook up power wires to both 12 volt inputs. If you dont have ramps and a mks board. Then just do as said up there.

As far as your boat print.
Id check the stl file and then try a different slicer
January 16, 2016 05:53PM
i am using 14 guage and that seems to work.

i can see in your pictures that 5-10 layers from where you stopped it, it was already shifting to the left possibly from skipping steps. the random filament would be just the printer trying to print in mid air
January 17, 2016 07:05AM
Yeah it shifted, I blamed that on the fact that my hot end when using PLA kept oozing melted filament at all the joints so I had keep pausing the print so I could remove the ooze before it dripped. The ooze didn't seem to occur when printing with ABS.
So do you think the skipped steps would be caused by voltage drop or would it be caused by loose belt? hopefully the new power supply will fix it. I hate being an electronics dummy.

Thanks Folks
Jamie
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login