Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Kossel firmware motor problem

Posted by saintcady 
Kossel firmware motor problem
January 25, 2016 01:55PM
Hey folks,
I've just built my first Delta and am running into a brick wall. It's a kossel type, the building part went fine, but now I'm stumped. I've been trying to follow this guide: [www.mixshop.com] so I loaded the Marlin firmware and Repetier-Host.

The extruder seems to work fine, and I've calibrated it. The hotend and bed both come up to temp correctly.

The current problem seems to be that one motor isn't activating. I've tested them all (by switching plug in places) and they all work, but only 2 respond went sent instructions. It seems like a firmware problem, but I don't know how to fix it and so far may searches haven't helped.

Anyone know the fix?
Re: Kossel firmware motor problem
January 25, 2016 03:04PM
By any chance is the none working motor's endstop triggered?
January 25, 2016 03:47PM
I don't think so. I can check the endstop states, see that they're open, send a move command, and still get nothing from the Y motor.
January 25, 2016 05:23PM
I would check those line in the firmware :

// For Inverting Stepper Enable Pins (Active Low) use 0, Non Inverting (Active High) use 1
#define X_ENABLE_ON 0
#define Y_ENABLE_ON 0
#define Z_ENABLE_ON 0
#define E_ENABLE_ON 0 // For all extruders

And that the #define Y_ENABLE_ON is set to the same value (0 or 1) as the others

Wich electronic do you have ?
January 25, 2016 06:03PM
Ok, checked those lines in the firmware and they match what I have. I also checked each endstop by manually holding them down one at a time and sending m119. They all read triggered when held, open when not.

The board is a mega 2560 with a RAMPS. X and Z motors are moving when directed, Y is not.
January 25, 2016 10:20PM
saintcady
Ok, checked those lines in the firmware and they match what I have. I also checked each endstop by manually holding them down one at a time and sending m119. They all read triggered when held, open when not.

The board is a mega 2560 with a RAMPS. X and Z motors are moving when directed, Y is not.

Stepper driver install backwards? Or jumpers under it not installed?
January 25, 2016 11:24PM
Jumpers are in place, stepper driver matches all the rest. Even tried switching the stepper drivers, but it worked fine in another motor spot. I feel like I'm down to bad board or something crazy in the firmware. But it's a brand new board, and I just downloaded the firmware fresh and changed almost nothing. :/
January 26, 2016 03:19AM
The firmware configuration in your link is a bit short and is speaking about X and Z axis config, but not about the Y axis, so might be something to look for.

Could your send your configuration.h so we can check if we see something strange?
January 26, 2016 12:53PM
Thanks guys!

I downloaded the firmware from the link on this guide.

Here's my configuration.h right now: link.

I'd be happy to try a different guide or firmware if anyone has a recommendation!
January 26, 2016 02:10PM
I had a look and didn't see anything obvious.

The only thing might be :
#define min_software_endstops true // If true, axis won't move to coordinates less than HOME_POS.
#define max_software_endstops false // If true, axis won't move to coordinates greater than the defined lengths below.

I was using inverted false-true value when I was using marlin on my rostock.
But I guess that your X motor wouldn't work either...

Anyway, if you want to give it a try here are the value I was using
#define min_software_endstops false
#define max_software_endstops true

I think it worth the try.
January 26, 2016 05:43PM
Repier37
I had a look and didn't see anything obvious.

The only thing might be :
#define min_software_endstops true // If true, axis won't move to coordinates less than HOME_POS.
#define max_software_endstops false // If true, axis won't move to coordinates greater than the defined lengths below.

I was using inverted false-true value when I was using marlin on my rostock.
But I guess that your X motor wouldn't work either...

Anyway, if you want to give it a try here are the value I was using
#define min_software_endstops false
#define max_software_endstops true

I think it worth the try.

should be true true
which means the motor carriage wont try to go outside the min and max setup. i.e. X 80 min X -80 max
If you set either one to false then your be able to move your hotend in the X outside of that ^ . False for min means you can go all the way to the left pass the -80mm mark.
Or you can jog Z below 0.

I normally just set my Z Min to be -10. and true min/ true max.
this lets me go 10mm below Z 0 while calibrating my kossel, without having to worry about the hotend moving too far off the bed.

AS far as the OP problem.
I would load in a stock marlin firmware. one for a prusa i3 just to see if you can get the Y motor to move.
if you still cant. It might just be a bad board. it happens.
January 27, 2016 02:07PM
I had one motor on my kossel not moving but intermittently and it was a bit of corrosion slightly bridging two tracks near the y driver socket on the ramps, cleaned it up problem solved.
January 27, 2016 05:04PM
It's better, but I'm not sure why.

I installed the Prusa Firmware to check if the motor worked, which it did. I reloaded a fresh install of the Delta firmware and now it works. I guess I must have had a weird change somewhere in the firmware I was using before - it's possible a student changed something and forgot to tell me.

Thanks for your help everyone!
January 27, 2016 05:24PM
saintcady
It's better, but I'm not sure why.

I installed the Prusa Firmware to check if the motor worked, which it did. I reloaded a fresh install of the Delta firmware and now it works. I guess I must have had a weird change somewhere in the firmware I was using before - it's possible a student changed something and forgot to tell me.

Thanks for your help everyone!
Either that or something weird in the eeprom.
I had repitier on a printer and swap to marlin. The eeprom had X endstop at -8,000
So when i home the x motor home and then moved down until i pull the plug.

Gald you got it working tho
February 02, 2016 11:07AM
I also need some major help with firmware

I have a kossel mini all hardware assembled. id like to use repetier, and I have a mega and ramps 1.4, i cant get it configured for the love of jebus
Attachments:
open | download - Configuration.h (20.3 KB)
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login