Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Wish me luck

Posted by WZ9V 
Wish me luck
March 23, 2016 06:14PM
After many modifications I'm trying to see if I can get consistent readings with FSR's so that my Duet's calibration comes out right.

My old setup seems to have been possessed by demons and would NEVER give me a workable firmware calibration. In the process of trying to "fix" it I've tried various new FSR mounts, bed holders, etc. I think I finally tracked the problem down to a combination of the heat spreader having a bit of warping (added springiness) and the three point mount allowing for too much flexing when probed in some spots.

I'm now using an Onyx bed with the star (hopefully more support against flexing) with mhackney's adjustable mounts with plungers (allows bed to float vertically but not rotate or shift horizontally. So far it seems more consistent but its time some actual measurements using the web interface.

Fingers crossed that I can get printing again.
Re: Wish me luck
March 23, 2016 10:33PM
Are you using an FSR controller board, or are they wired directly to the DUET?
March 24, 2016 08:33AM
I have my kapton heater adhered to an aluminium heat spreader. That is then"glued" (using high temp silicone adhesive) loosely to a base of 1/2" MDF. This acts as a great insulator and also gives an added level of support to fight any flexing. (My build plate is 350mm in diameter). Then I place my mirror build surface on top of the aluminum build plate. I've had great success thus far.

My FSRs are under the MDF in 3 points. I have the controller board set to the most sensitive setting. I also have small spacers under the FSRs to increase triggering reaction.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/24/2016 08:35AM by MrBaz.
March 25, 2016 11:37AM
Yes to the controller board.

My new setup uses a vertical free floating bed with 1/4 Melamine support. That should help with the flex/tilt I had with glass/heat spreader only. Unfortunately I'm being slowed down by the need to switch the bed to 12V while the rest is 24V. Have the power supplies and SSR needed, just need to get it all wired up and laminate the PrintBite to my glass.

I think I'm using the most sensitive setting on the JohnSL board (no jumpers).
March 25, 2016 11:46AM
I also downloaded the Think3DPrint3D calibration instructions for their Kossel. Mine is using a Duet 0.8.5 like theirs, only significant difference is their probe is the DC42 IR one and I'm using FSR's. The procedure will be the same but I know my offsets and their calculation will be very different. Now that I have a SeeMeCNC Onyx heat bed and mhackney's adjustable FSR mounts I'm hoping I can start getting consistent G32 calibrations after its tuned.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/25/2016 11:48AM by WZ9V.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login