Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Kossel XL - some autolevel help needed

Posted by sascharossier 
Kossel XL - some autolevel help needed
May 18, 2016 03:47PM
Hej Folkz

I just assembled my first delta-kit ... it a Kossel 4020 (http://www.hkbay.com/store/product_info.php?cPath=13&products_id=145&osCsid=d56fba444d2e88110d47eb86c9b09b64)
with marlin firmware. First Ghost-Print looks promising. I got one question about autoleveling: I use Simplify3d an my startscript shoots a G28 and a G29 afterwards. The Delta performs the autolevel routine as exspected. And then starts printing. My question: Does the autolevel procedure translate over to the print at all? observing the hothead it looks as if the hotend is a bit higher over the plate on one side; an pretty close on the other side of the plate. so even if the G29 is executed, i doubt that the data collected with the autolevel-routine is applied while printing.

Would be nice if someone knows about autolevelling.
Thanx
Re: Kossel XL - some autolevel help needed
May 18, 2016 09:20PM
You've probably got an amount of effector tilt. Most auto level sensors are hanging off to the side of the effector, which means that if you've got any effector tilt then you won't print properly. You can either sort out the effector tilt, (which is good to do anyway), or print my zero offset Z sensor.

I've written up a page with lots of detail on how to set it all up here:
[www.thingiverse.com]
May 19, 2016 04:37AM
Hi,
I'm reading a lot of auto leveling and problems with it but as a dummy in this matter could you explain why you need the auto leveling system?

I have designed and build 2 Delta printers and will start with my 3rd one soon but found no need for auto leveling until till now. What does is bring else than confusion? (For me)
If you have build your printer with straight and perpendicular pillars (within 0.1 mm (0.004")), your heated bed or cold bed is flat and perpendicular to the pillars within 0.1 mm and positioned on three points, ... what in heavens name can go wrong.
All arms need to be of the same length (center to center) within 0.05 mm (0.002") of course.
I'm perfectly okay for having a "Z" sensor to find your bed height again after changing your nozzle or so but for fixing an out of tolerance build that's to much for me.

I'm 100% sure that you guys found a good reason for an auto leveling system, so please teach me something at my old age smileys with beer
May 19, 2016 06:15AM
A delta printer that is well-constructed does not need auto levelling. What it does need is calibration. You can calibrate manually, but auto-calibration in firmware is quicker and easier.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/19/2016 01:09PM by dc42.

Large delta printer [miscsolutions.wordpress.com], E3D tool changer, Robotdigg SCARA printer, Crane Quad and Ormerod

Disclosure: I design Duet electronics and work on RepRapFirmware, [duet3d.com].
May 19, 2016 06:47AM
Okay, thanks, that's what I thought, ... just finding the bed Z value

Thanks again
May 20, 2016 05:06AM
Thanx for your help. I will check on the level of Effector-tilt. And thanx for the alternative Z-Probe-Approach ... pretty awesome design ;-)
But as far as i understand you guys the G29 autolevel routine ALWAYS translates over to the print becaus the level-corrections is handled by the
firmware. So Simplify3D or any slicer-soft doesnt have to care about the autolevel-data at all. Is that right?
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login