Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

How to install an ir Zprobe on a Duet v0.6

Posted by w1k3 
How to install an ir Zprobe on a Duet v0.6
June 08, 2016 06:20PM
Having gotten frustrated with calibrating my homemade delta printer on a regular basis, I decided to buy an ir Zprobe to make things easier.
Unfortunately, I can't find much more than a causal mention of a Zprobe being used on the 0.6 version of the Duet.
I probably should have done more research on probes and Duet versions before buying either.

The only indication of a probe even working with a Duet v0.6 that I've found is this image here: [reprappro.com]
Also, in my struggle to even find an ir sensor to buy at all, I ended up buying an analog one. It has 3 pins: 3.3v, ground, and analog out.

Has anyone here gotten a probe to work on thier v0.6 Duet board? I'd appreciate advice on how they connected it.
And if a 3 pin ir sensor isn't compatible with a Duet, could it be possible to upload custom software to use an analog in?

Thanks

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/08/2016 06:23PM by w1k3.
Re: How to install an ir Zprobe on a Duet v0.6
June 08, 2016 10:41PM
probably should start with letting people know exactly which IR Z probe you have got, I've got two different probes working on a V0.6 duet

That diagram you have is for the RRP z probe that has 4 wires and serves a double function as a z probe and x endstop probe, you probably wont be able to use that wiring configuration on a delta because the X end stop will already be occupied you can use one of the E axis end stops though, this here may give you a better idea [miscsolutions.wordpress.com] but this is fr the DC42 sensor which is a three wire sensor

and an IR probe wont stop you from regular calibrations, it will just make a few things easier

RepRapPro Mendel 3 Tricolour
RepRapPro Fisher
-Carbon Arms
-Easy adjust Carriage+effector
-axis stiffness mods
HE3D -600 delta
-Duet 0.8.5
-PanelDue
-DC42 Height probe
-RobotDigg metal components
Simplyfy3D
RS Design Spark CAD
June 08, 2016 11:21PM
I found a sensor on eBay simply labeled as ZHS-10A
The two pictures are what it looks like. I'm not familiar with how the DC42 sensor works specifically, but this one apparently outputs different analog voltages to represent the distance.

That link is really useful though. I suppose if this sensor doesn't work properly, the DC42 sensor would be the best alternative
Attachments:
open | download - sensor 1.JPG (42.4 KB)
open | download - sensor 2.JPG (85.9 KB)
June 09, 2016 03:37AM
bgkdavis
and an IR probe wont stop you from regular calibrations, it will just make a few things easier

Don't you use the automatic delta calibration built into RRF?

Large delta printer [miscsolutions.wordpress.com], E3D tool changer, Robotdigg SCARA printer, Crane Quad and Ormerod

Disclosure: I design Duet electronics and work on RepRapFirmware, [duet3d.com].
June 09, 2016 03:47AM
w1k3
I found a sensor on eBay simply labeled as ZHS-10A
The two pictures are what it looks like. I'm not familiar with how the DC42 sensor works specifically, but this one apparently outputs different analog voltages to represent the distance.

If that sensor can work from 3.3V power, with the output increasing as the target gets nearer, then you can wire it up as for my sensor. You will need to adjust the P value in the G31 command in config.g to get a suitable trigger distance.

I suggest you check whether the trigger height varies with the amount of background IR (e.g. from bright sunlight and from incandescent artificial light), because most sensors are sensitive to that to a greater or lesser extent. You may also find that it is very sensitive to the bed surface. My sensor uses two beams of modulated light to minimise the effects of bed surface reflectivity and ambient IR.

Large delta printer [miscsolutions.wordpress.com], E3D tool changer, Robotdigg SCARA printer, Crane Quad and Ormerod

Disclosure: I design Duet electronics and work on RepRapFirmware, [duet3d.com].
June 09, 2016 04:16AM
dc42
bgkdavis

Don't you use the automatic delta calibration built into RRF?

yeah I do, but have found that after a crash I have to reset all the parameters, those components on the boards are not very well protected and if they get knocked they you have to redo the whole calibration

I made this to protect the RRP probe [www.thingiverse.com] but have yet to come up with a similar solution for protecting the DC42 probe

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/09/2016 04:23AM by bgkdavis.

RepRapPro Mendel 3 Tricolour
RepRapPro Fisher
-Carbon Arms
-Easy adjust Carriage+effector
-axis stiffness mods
HE3D -600 delta
-Duet 0.8.5
-PanelDue
-DC42 Height probe
-RobotDigg metal components
Simplyfy3D
RS Design Spark CAD
June 09, 2016 01:00PM
Just got a chance to test the sensor the way you described. And it works!
I have no idea how well it will work in the end, but now I know how it works and how to continue forward.

Thanks so much
June 09, 2016 01:00PM
Just got a chance to test the sensor the way you described. And it works!
I have no idea how well it will work in the end, but now I know how it works and how to continue forward.

Thanks so much
June 09, 2016 05:46PM
dc42
If that sensor can work from 3.3V power, with the output increasing as the target gets nearer, then you can wire it up as for my sensor. You will need to adjust the P value in the G31 command in config.g to get a suitable trigger distance.

I have hooked everything up, and the senor gives pretty consistent readings. there's only one problem. Instead of giving higher readings the closer it gets to the bed, it gives lower readings.
It seems that it wouldn't work very well since instead of lowering towards a trigger value, it would start above it.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/09/2016 05:46PM by w1k3.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login