Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Individual layers slanted?

Posted by vvarma 
Individual layers slanted?
July 06, 2016 10:49PM
I looked around a bit on google and on these forums, and nothing came up, but I'm facing the most curious issue I ever have seen. I'm using a delta printer (Rostock), and every layer after the first one is slanted, but not like you usually think when you hear "slanted print", with an x or y offset; no, I mean I can visually see a 3-5 degree ANGLE per layer in all but the first layer. In other words, the second layer has one half of the layer pressed properly into the first layer, and the other half barely touching, and then the third layer has the first half of the print pressed further into the print than it should be, and the other side isn't even close to touching, and then it's game over. it appears to be due to a single tower, as the angle of each layer is oriented toward a single tower. However, I can't tell if the tower is not getting enough power (due to the motor controller setting or even the PS), if the belt tension isn't enough, if the set screw for that tower needs to be adjusted along with the build plate, or what. Note that the first layer consistently prints FINE, and this printer hasn't had this problem in the past that I know of (I've printed tall issues before, but have moved the location of the printer since then, so the system might have changed mechanically). I'm at quite a loss here as to what I need to do to fix this issue. I was having some belt tension issues earlier, but those ought to be sorted out; I'll look at that once more, but I really don't know what about a tower would cause this extreme of a problem, and only after the first layer. Is the print speed too fast for that tower maybe? specifically when it is raising the Z axis perhaps? I haven't the slightest. Thank you all in advance for any help you can provide. Of course I will provide any other details necessary. Thanks again!
~V
Re: Individual layers slanted?
July 07, 2016 06:16AM
IT could be that your calibration is correcting the first layer, yet the error accumulates as you increase in height

First check that each tower is displacing properly, its best to do this with digital calipers.

Start by moving to XY=0 and Z position so you can measure the position of each axis from a fixed position with your calipers at their shortest, write down these measurements

now move about as much as possible in Z so you can still measure the new position with the calipers close to their longest and measure the positions, ideally each axis will have moved the exact same distance and exactly the different between the two Z positions

RepRapPro Mendel 3 Tricolour
RepRapPro Fisher
-Carbon Arms
-Easy adjust Carriage+effector
-axis stiffness mods
HE3D -600 delta
-Duet 0.8.5
-PanelDue
-DC42 Height probe
-RobotDigg metal components
Simplyfy3D
RS Design Spark CAD
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login