Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Folger Tech 2020 Delta Upgrades

Posted by panadar 
Folger Tech 2020 Delta Upgrades
August 02, 2016 10:13PM
I purchased the Folger Tech 2020 Rev B. delta 3D printer earlier this year. Unfortunately, I have been so busy that I am only now starting this project. First, I purchased this printer after some research and mostly based on good reviews I read. However, I am sure that in order for this printer to be this inexpensive, that some parts may not be of good quality. Now, I wanted the experience of building a Delta 3D printer as I must admit that I like it better than other 3D printers styles. Then based on that experience, do one of two things: Either get a more expensive 3D printer such as a Rostock MAX™ v2 Desktop 3D Printer Kit, or simply upgrade the current Folger Tech Delta (after I get it working properly) over time, which is currently, my preference.

I am looking to upgrade these things:

Immediate Upgrades:

E3D Hotend V6. I have already purchased this and want this to be part of the initial build as this is an absolute must for me! . I am looking for any guidance for mounting the E3D hotend to my Folger Tech Delta printer and getting it to successfully work on that printer.

Future Upgrades:
  1. Stepper motors (Kasan or other high quality stepper motors) Any suggestions?
  2. Metal rods to replace the carbon fiber arms that ships with the kit. I heard that metal ones are better. I saw a set on Ebay, but they seemed to be too short. Is there anybody who sells metal rods to replace the carbon fiber arms?
    Honestly, would like this to be an immediate upgrade as I don't think this upgrade will impact initial setup. Overall length of arms need to be the same length as the ones that come in the kit. Does anybody know where to get these?
  3. 32 bit controller. I hear that this is a must have item in the long term as Delta style printers can tax an 8 bit board and that the 32 bit controller provides for faster prints as well as finer resolution. Definitely will need guidance on this. Has anybody done this mod for this printer?
  4. After initial setup, I will most likely use Simply 3D as my slicer program.
  5. Metal rollers carriages and belt holders. Again, I would like these to be an immediate upgrade as I don't think this upgrade will impact initial setup. Does anybody know where to get these?

Looking for suggestions on where to buy these items and how to install the E3D Hotend and especially the 32 bit controller. Thanks an advance!

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 08/02/2016 11:00PM by panadar.
Re: Folger Tech 2020 Delta Upgrades
August 02, 2016 10:32PM
Frankly, I would (and did) just build it as it comes. Then you can learn 3D printing and firmware and upgrade over time. From your list of immediate upgrades, you are throwing half the kit away!

As for the v6 hotend, you can just mount it with the effector parts that come with the kit. I have done that with mine.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login