Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Large Kossel all metal delta build log

Posted by DjDemonD 
Re: Large Kossel all metal delta build log
November 15, 2017 03:46PM
Nice stuff, I am in the middle of doing something similar to this idea...
How do the Magball Arms doing with this extra weight and such? I am still on Traxxas joints... but have purchased the Smart Effector already. No Magballs yet thought...
November 15, 2017 04:14PM
Seems fine, no issues, the cable retractor helps to keep the weight from pushing down too much on the effector.

Simon Khoury

Co-founder of [www.precisionpiezo.co.uk] Accurate, repeatable, versatile Z-Probes
Published:Inventions
December 06, 2017 09:45AM
I have added a Thingiverse listing for some of the parts specific to the chamber and watercooling:
[www.thingiverse.com]

Will add more as/when.

Simon Khoury

Co-founder of [www.precisionpiezo.co.uk] Accurate, repeatable, versatile Z-Probes
December 09, 2017 06:27PM
Nozzle cleaning station working:
[youtu.be]

Simon Khoury

December 10, 2017 07:51AM
Hi do you have pictures showing bowden print quality vs the nimble?

Using the nimble no longer allows you to use the Y adapter for dual filament, so I 'm just wondering how good or bad the print quality is with the bowden.
December 10, 2017 07:59AM
I was never unhappy with a flying extruder which only ever had a 20cm bowden tube, but the mass could be seen as ringing or corner defects at high speed. Switched to flex3drive probably about the same, then nimble again about the same.

These remote direct drives definitely beat a long bowden (70cm) even with pressure advance and cyberdine systens ultra ptfe or whatever it is called.

You can use nimble with ysplitter but you need two nimble probably on a flying bracket.

I've tried a pivoting extruder on a microdelta which work great. Might be less useful on an XL. Duet allows a slave axis so you could have a pivoting extruder sliding on its own axis up and down to track the effector. Or even a second complete delta arm system with its own motors and rails but probably a bit OTT.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 12/10/2017 08:06AM by DjDemonD.

Simon Khoury

December 10, 2017 10:27PM
DjDemonD
I was never unhappy with a flying extruder which only ever had a 20cm bowden tube, but the mass could be seen as ringing or corner defects at high speed. Switched to flex3drive probably about the same, then nimble again about the same.

These remote direct drives definitely beat a long bowden (70cm) even with pressure advance and cyberdine systens ultra ptfe or whatever it is called.

You can use nimble with ysplitter but you need two nimble probably on a flying bracket.

I've tried a pivoting extruder on a microdelta which work great. Might be less useful on an XL. Duet allows a slave axis so you could have a pivoting extruder sliding on its own axis up and down to track the effector. Or even a second complete delta arm system with its own motors and rails but probably a bit OTT.

When you mention slave axis, does that just track one of the towers or do they track the true Z movement? or do they track the max Z movement of the 3 towers within a certain period of time?
I just got the duet wifi and smart effector , what command is that?
December 11, 2017 02:43AM
I believe that any of these is possible but I have not used it myself. I'd see the duet forum and docs.

Simon Khoury

December 11, 2017 08:12PM
Thanks for the detailed build information. I'm starting my own Kossel-from-scratch build, so your information is interesting. I may be able to help you a bit on a peripheral issue....

DjDemonD
Apologies this image only wants to display landscape, it will display portrait if clicked-on

I see you're still having problems with this. The cause is that the phone (I know it's a phone -- see below) you used stores its images in landscape mode even when you rotate the phone, along with a notation in its EXIF data that the image must be rotated. (EXIF is just metadata about the image.) Most image viewers, including Web browsers when you open a tab on the image alone, will honor this EXIF tag and display the image correctly. Unfortunately, when the image gets embedded in a full forum page, that information is lost or ignored. I don't know if this is the fault of forum software, Web browsers, or something else.

The solution is to do some minimal post-processing on the photo before posting it. In most cases, simply loading it into an image editor and then saving it back will do the trick, but you may need to experiment, since different programs may do different things. If you're using your phone to post directly, I believe there are apps that can do this, but I've never looked into it. When you're doing this post-processing, you might want to use whatever option the image editing software provides to eliminate unnecessary EXIF data. In addition to image rotation data, EXIF data often includes things that you might not want to share with the world, such as the make and model of the device used to take the image (that's how I know you used a phone, not a dedicated camera), details about exposure and other camera settings, and sometimes even GPS coordinates. Your photo did not include GPS data, but that's clearly the most sensitive detail that's commonly included. As with post-processing to rotate the image, the details of how to strip EXIF data vary from one program to another. A Web search on "EXIF data {programname}" should turn up the details for whatever software you're using.
December 24, 2017 07:33AM
Thanks for the photography tips.

Simon Khoury

January 12, 2018 02:13PM
Hi,

Can I ask if you are happy with the Zesty Nimble extruder, I am in the process of building the DC42 large delta with the smart effector and the zesty is one of the few that will fit.

Thanks in advance,

Chris
January 12, 2018 02:22PM
Yes I've had no issues with it. It is as accurate as the flying titan I was using before, and the flex3drive I used before. It's small and light and well thought out. I've had no issues with drive cables that some people have had. It seems to be able to retract quite a bit faster than the default settings as long as you use a small motor with low current. Is it as good as direct bondtech or titan, no... But you don't want one of those on your effector, and bowden (unless flying type) is a poor compromise even using pressure advance.

Simon Khoury

January 13, 2018 01:11AM
Thanks for the reply - I do want to avoid a bowden solution...

Just to muddy the waters slightly I have just heard that the Flex3dDrive may well soon be available for the Escher3D smart effector

Choices choices

btw many thanks for sharing your build - must be a huge burden of time but most appreciated by those (like myself) for whom some (or maybe most) of the complexities of building a 3D printer are a major barrier to getting into the fun

Cheers

Chris
January 13, 2018 06:57AM
Your welcome Chris. I got a lot of help from DC42 and others, prior to beginning a self sourced build, and a lot of help during my build, plus sanity checking etc... My new cylinder delta is a bit more off the wall. You'll find if it's your first build you'll change a lot, so often I'd recommend starting with something small make your mistakes there and then build a much more optimised larger machine.

It also 2 printers are very useful, and running a large machine to print typically small parts makes less sense.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/13/2018 06:59AM by DjDemonD.

Simon Khoury

January 29, 2018 11:25AM
Following
January 29, 2018 07:53PM
Thanks but not much is going to change here this machine is a dependable working unit now, my go to machine for 90% of my printing. Now I've moved on to the slightly more unusual [forums.reprap.org]

Simon Khoury

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login