Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Delta axis?!

Posted by clearlynotstefan 
Delta axis?!
December 03, 2016 01:34PM
So I've been tinkering and setting up my delta on duet wifi. Spent the last few days working on effector tilt, printing new parts on my other printer and generally making it more solid before I start printing.

Today I attempted to move my effector on the x and y axis to calculate my IR probe offset and noticed that they aren't even remotely perpendicular. ! Then I realized I don't even know what X and Y look like on a delta. Picturing my towers as triangle with 2 points at the bottom, my Y moves toward a tower and my X moves toward a space between towers! On a proper functioning system, again picturing a triangle with the base at the bottom, does the intersection of x and y look like " "+" or an "x"? My steps per mm have been tested per tower and are all appropriate. Any ideas?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/03/2016 01:36PM by clearlynotstefan.
Re: Delta axis?!
December 03, 2016 06:49PM
The X and Y axis normally travel in a + shape. So facing the front of the machine, the X axis would move the effector left and right and Y would move it front to back.

Hope this helps smiling smiley
December 03, 2016 09:17PM
Any idea why my X and Y aren't perpendicular?
December 04, 2016 02:33AM
clearlynotstefan
Any idea why my X and Y aren't perpendicular?

Do you have large tower offsets configured in your M665 command?

Large delta printer [miscsolutions.wordpress.com], E3D tool changer, Robotdigg SCARA printer, Crane Quad and Ormerod

Disclosure: I design Duet electronics and work on RepRapFirmware, [duet3d.com].
December 04, 2016 07:07AM
It doesn't appear I have any tower offsets in my 665
M665 R229.929 L360.25 B150 H591 ; set delta radius, diagonal rod length, printable radius and homed height

I do run 6 factor G30s on startup though, so if tower offsets are calibrated in those 6 factors, its possible that's a source of them.
December 04, 2016 12:31PM
clearlynotstefan
It doesn't appear I have any tower offsets in my 665
M665 R229.929 L360.25 B150 H591 ; set delta radius, diagonal rod length, printable radius and homed height

I do run 6 factor G30s on startup though, so if tower offsets are calibrated in those 6 factors, its possible that's a source of them.

Try 4 factor until you have sorted this issue out.

Large delta printer [miscsolutions.wordpress.com], E3D tool changer, Robotdigg SCARA printer, Crane Quad and Ormerod

Disclosure: I design Duet electronics and work on RepRapFirmware, [duet3d.com].
December 04, 2016 08:29PM
Are you sure that you've configured the firmware to be set up for a delta, not a cartesian printer? Sounds to me like you've told the firmware that it's a cartesian.
December 04, 2016 08:41PM
Absolutely positive, additionally my diagonal rods are measured accurately, and I get fairly consistent deviations on 6 factor G30s. I tore it down to rebuild tomorrow, once I get it back together nice and strong I'm gonna try DC42's suggestion of 4 factor G30, there's also a chance just pulling everything apart and reassembling clears something up haha.
December 04, 2016 09:00PM
When you move the effector (using the interface) in only the X direction, do all three motors move?

Same for Y?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/04/2016 09:01PM by nebbian.
December 04, 2016 09:11PM
Yes
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login