Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Where to find and what parts do I need to make a bigger delta?

Posted by scarecrow2k6 
Where to find and what parts do I need to make a bigger delta?
March 19, 2017 02:19PM
Hello everyone. I have a Micromake D1 delta printer and would like to make a bigger Delta (Bed size size 400 x 400) by salvaging almost everything from the D1. I know that I would need bigger aluminum extrusion, diagonal rods and the slots that connect the extrusions. Can someone please give me a link where I can download 3d models of the bigger slots? I would also appreciate if someone can tell me where I can find all the necessary parts without spending too much. Thanks!
Re: Where to find and what parts do I need to make a bigger delta?
March 19, 2017 06:25PM
I can provide you with links, but IMO you can't expect good results from any type of printer geometry with a bed as large as 400x400mm unless you are prepared to spend significant amounts of money. See the reply I gave in response to your other post in a different section. Also it would help to know which country you are in.

Large delta printer [miscsolutions.wordpress.com], E3D tool changer, Robotdigg SCARA printer, Crane Quad and Ormerod

Disclosure: I design Duet electronics and work on RepRapFirmware, [duet3d.com].
March 19, 2017 08:24PM
Hi, thanks a lot for your response. I am from the US, MA to be specific. Sorry which section did you post your reply to? A link would be nice. Btw, I went to your Miscsolutions website and looked around. I would really appreciate if you send me a direct link to the parts, mostly extrusions and the 3d models of the plastic parts that I might need. It doesn't have to be exactly 400x400 but something close to that would be nice. Why is there a decline in results with bigger printers (Deltas)?

I know you have posted the links for the extrusions on your site but I have a very difficult time understanding which ones I need and how big. The Mitsumi site is too complicated.
March 20, 2017 04:00AM
I'm sorry, I thought I had answered your post in the General section yesterday, but this morning I found my reply was still on my tablet, unfinished and unposted.

With any 3D printer architecture, building a machine that prints well gets harder as you make the machine larger. On of the main reasons is that the frame and motion parts get longer, but you typically still want to print with the same 0.2mm or perhaps even 0.1mm layer height that you would use on a smaller printer. So the frame parts need to me much more rigid to avoid bending under load. Similarly, build inaccuracies - such as a tower that is not quite parallel to the other towers - get magnified over longer distances.

The parts list for the latest variant of my large Kossel is at [docs.google.com]. The build blog page will follow when I have uploaded the photos. This build has a 300mm diameter print area, but it would be quite easy to increase it to 400mm diameter by using longer horizontal extrusions, longer rods and a larger bed plate and heater.The total cost including tax at the bottom is already £650 and there are a few effector parts not included yet. To be fair, this is intended to be a top-quality design rather than a budget design. Some savings are possible; for example, leave out the colour touch screen, and use wheeled carriages instead of linear rails (although I am now a convert to linear rais).

My top tips for you are:

- Use at least 2040 extrusions for the towers
- Use metal corners, because it's hard to get sufficient accuracy or rigidity with printed ones
- Use Duet WiFi or Duet Ethernet electronics (OK I am biased because I co-designed them, but you won't find anything else as good for controlling a delta printer).

I am in the UK and I get my extrusions from Motedis in Germany. I think most users in the US use Mitsumi extrusions.

HTH David

Large delta printer [miscsolutions.wordpress.com], E3D tool changer, Robotdigg SCARA printer, Crane Quad and Ormerod

March 20, 2017 07:20AM
David

Just had a look at your BOM are you sure the the Pulleys are 3mm bore? think it should be 5

Doug.
March 20, 2017 01:09PM
dougal1957
David

Just had a look at your BOM are you sure the the Pulleys are 3mm bore? think it should be 5

Doug.

3mm bore for the idler pulleys is correct for the way I have mounted them (on M3 screws).

March 20, 2017 11:34PM
I had started my delta with 50cm side length which which would have corresponded to a 40cm bed, but after half a year I went down to 40 side length and 30cm bed. For me there weren't enough prints that needed such a big bed. I still use 2020 Vslots which on its own is a bit on the weak side, but since I put some wire cross braces in there on two sides and its totally fine. Im not finished with the development but frame rigidity is not a concern atm.

If you have the money for 2040 you can get metal brackets for it from robotdigg, then youre on the safe side but really ask yourself if you need such a big machine.
March 22, 2017 06:31PM
what do we need if we want 400mm circular printe size instead 300?
i am thinking b slot (or i slot form motedis i don t remember) wasn t compatible with robodig vertice?

so far you tutto is great!!!
March 23, 2017 04:53AM
If you take a look at my Kossel build instructions at [miscsolutions.wordpress.com] you will find the dimensions I suggest for a variant with 400mm build diameter instead of 300mm.

March 24, 2017 05:28PM
thanks dc42
i just to read you new add on
great blog i really love it
March 25, 2017 03:56PM
dc42
dougal1957
David

Doug.

3mm bore for the idler pulleys is correct for the way I have mounted them (on M3 screws).

Ah OK i must have misunderstood and thought you meant the 16 tooth Pulleys for the motors Now I look again it is the 16 teeth that threw me
March 25, 2017 09:14PM
Whoa I have my Idler pulley Bottom and top on 5mm SS shaft (motor pulley support on each end by bearing) and the one at the motor for the belt tightness on M5 screw ( I use one at the bottom too because my motor are not facing the tower) and Im afraid to bend those 5mm shaft I cant imagine going 3mm this will bend with the force I have on my 1 M high tower.

I said go for 5mm idler if you can and it fit your parts.
March 26, 2017 03:49AM
I have the M3 screw that bears the idler pulley supported at both ends, and no problem with it bending yet. But I'll keep an eye on it.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login